PDA

View Full Version : Slow Connection with NTL

ridders
03-07-2005, 19:37
Hello All,

I have had NTL broadband for about 9 months now and had no real problems with it.

However a month ago, my router died on me, so got that sorted and ever since then surfing the net has been really slow and painful. I have to press refresh many times to display a web page......very frustrating.

i share my connection with 3 other people.

Is there a way of detecting what the problem maybe. Its not a speed issue as downloading files etc has been really quick.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Paul K
03-07-2005, 19:38
Have you tried running a PC on the connection without the router to see if the refresh issue goes away?
What router is it you are using?

paulyoung666
03-07-2005, 19:39
hi and :welcome: to the site , some pings and tracerts are in order for a start :)

Raistlin
03-07-2005, 19:42
Hi ridders :welcome: to https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/09/24.gif

Start with the easy questions first.....

Have you rebooted your CM since you replaced your router?
What other software is running when you have problems with your connection?
What software is running on the other PCs when you have problems.
Assuming that you were running for a while without the router, did you have any firewalls running during that period of time? If not, it is possible that not having a router attached has left you vulnerable to attack and you have picked up something nasty so.....
Have you run an antivirus and spyware scan recently?

ridders
03-07-2005, 23:09
I have tried most things

When connected straight from STB (rather than wireless) I had no problems so it must be the router settings I have problems with.

I dont know how to perform a ping or tracert - please help ??? :(

Have you rebooted your CM since you replaced your router? Yes
What other software is running when you have problems with your connection? None (apart from Norton)
What software is running on the other PCs when you have problems. None
Assuming that you were running for a while without the router, did you have any firewalls running during that period of time? If not, it is possible that not having a router attached has left you vulnerable to attack and you have picked up something nasty so.....
Have you run an antivirus and spyware scan recently? Yes