PDA

View Full Version : Installing New Comp Onto Existing Account

Jeynesey
03-07-2005, 17:08
Hi, i had a look through a fair few threads and couldnt find the answer so i thought i would register and ask myself :)

Basically ive moved home to my parents house and want to hook up to their internet connection. They have NTL broadband and ive previously been running Tiscali.

Anyway, i have hooked an ethernet cable up to the modem and my comp.... ive tried having them both switched off, turning on the modem and then my comp, but it doesnt recognise anything. Likewise ive run a "search for modem" and it doesnt find anything that way either.

Could someone please run through what i need to do.

Possible issues -

the cable may or may not be appropriate. Ive tried it both with and without a twisted adaptor and i get nothing. It was previously used to connect my missus' laptop to the net through my network card.

My folks connect through the USB rather than ethernet.

Just to be 100% clear, i dont want to connect at the same time, i just want to be able to unplug the wires from this rubbish comp my folks have and hook up my own comp.

Thanks very much in advance.

jonifen
03-07-2005, 17:10
:welcome:

try going to http://autoreg.autoregister.net (http://autoreg.autoregister.net/) on the PC when connected to the NTL broadband. You may need to set this computer up on the account.

Marge
03-07-2005, 17:12
What ip address are you getting when you connecting everything up ??

Should be a case of the modem picking up the new connection and away you go in theory, you don't have to go through the registration process as the modem is already registered.

homealone
03-07-2005, 17:23
Hi, i had a look through a fair few threads and couldnt find the answer so i thought i would register and ask myself :)

Basically ive moved home to my parents house and want to hook up to their internet connection. They have NTL broadband and ive previously been running Tiscali.

Anyway, i have hooked an ethernet cable up to the modem and my comp.... ive tried having them both switched off, turning on the modem and then my comp, but it doesnt recognise anything. Likewise ive run a "search for modem" and it doesnt find anything that way either.

Could someone please run through what i need to do.

Possible issues -

the cable may or may not be appropriate. Ive tried it both with and without a twisted adaptor and i get nothing. It was previously used to connect my missus' laptop to the net through my network card.

My folks connect through the USB rather than ethernet.

Just to be 100% clear, i dont want to connect at the same time, i just want to be able to unplug the wires from this rubbish comp my folks have and hook up my own comp.

Thanks very much in advance.

when connected by ethernet, the cable modem is 'invisible' to the system & doesn't show in device manager - it is accessible via a web interface at http://192.168.100.1/ - assuming the modem is a standard ambit one.

but you shouldn't have to do that, just connecting up & power cycling the modem & PC should work ok - you set your browser to 'never dial a connection' & leave all the boxes un-checked in the LAN settings dialog for your browser. Then after the reboot run your browser & your 'normal' homepage should load :)

Paul K
03-07-2005, 17:35
Also make sure you power off the PC before attaching the ethernet cable,
power off SACM and PC
Connect ethernet from SACM to Ethernet (standard patch cable should suffice)
power on SACM
Allow lights on modem to settle
Power on PC
Open browser

(Trying to ask Windows to detect the SACM won't work when it's connected via ethernet by the way. There aren't any drivers to install for the connection if you are using a ethernet connection that is already up and working correctly).

Jeynesey
03-07-2005, 17:44
Also make sure you power off the PC before attaching the ethernet cable,
power off SACM and PC
Connect ethernet from SACM to Ethernet (standard patch cable should suffice)
power on SACM
Allow lights on modem to settle
Power on PC
Open browser

(Trying to ask Windows to detect the SACM won't work when it's connected via ethernet by the way. There aren't any drivers to install for the connection if you are using a ethernet connection that is already up and working correctly).

ive done all that :( likewise ive made sure it never dials a connection etc :(

any way to check whether the cable is ok? if i go to that 192.168.100.1 and it works, i assume that means its ok :monkey:

What ip address are you getting when you connecting everything up ??

Should be a case of the modem picking up the new connection and away you go in theory, you don't have to go through the registration process as the modem is already registered.

could you give me a "how to" for that please.... im guessing a run command. ive only ever looked on t'internet sites :)

thanks for the help so far everyone.

Paul K
03-07-2005, 17:51
Try this
In start menu
select run
type the following
cmd
press enter
type the following
ipconfig /all
press enter

You should now have a lot of information on screen, amongst which is your IP address etc.

Or if you don't want to type all the info out again type
ipconfig /all> c:ip.txt
and you will find a text file called ip when you open up your C drive that you can attach or copy and paste into a post.

Jeynesey
03-07-2005, 17:52
by the way, when i connect the ethernet, the light flickers really quickly on the modem... dont know whether that indicates something.... i think its a "this is working" sort of flicker, because im looking at the USB one now (for this comp) and its doing the same thing.

again, im not trying to connect them both at the same time and i do turn off the modem before swapping to an ethernet for mine :)

Paul K
03-07-2005, 17:54
Flashing lights means data transfer is occuring between the SACM and PC ;)

Jeynesey
03-07-2005, 21:31
right, its something to do with my comps settings because i am now on my missus' laptop, which i have connected with no problems.

i get an IP address on my comp - 192.168.0.1

i dont know if any of these buggers will help, but heres some more numbers too....

primary DNX suffix:
Node Type: Unknown
IP Routing Enabled: Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled: No
Subnet Mask:

Connection Specific DNX Suffix:
Description: 5:3 9000-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adap

The IP addy on this latop is xx.xxx.xxx.xxx

any ideas as to what setting on my comp needs changing, please gimme a shout.

cheers

JohnHorb
03-07-2005, 21:40
If the ip addy on your computer is 192.168.0.1, it sounds like you have a fixed IP. You need to configure the network card to 'automatically obtain IP address' and 'automatically obtain DNS server address'.

Oh. and I suggest you ** out the last part of your public IP address (the 81.... one), never a good idea to publish this.

Jeynesey
03-07-2005, 21:43
ok cool... how do i do that then? :P

JohnHorb
03-07-2005, 21:51
Assuming XP (let us know if it's not), start/connect to/show all connections. You should see a screen with the network card (probably labelled ' Local Area Connection'). Right-click on this and select 'properties' . You should get a screen which shows a list of 'services' - 'This connection uses the following items'. Select 'Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)' and click 'Properties'. Ensure 'Obtain IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' are selected.

Jeynesey
03-07-2005, 22:20
woooooooooooooooooooo.... and were off! :P

that was the problem, so thanks for your help!

mike

JohnHorb
03-07-2005, 22:20
Good to hear it. Enjoy!