PDA

View Full Version : Laminat flooring

AndrewJ
03-07-2005, 17:58
Hiya all, well we have a need with three dogs to get laminate flooring put into my living room, kitchen and bottom hallway, I am not after doing this myself as I would like a really proffesional look to it.

Can anyone recommend a very good supplier of pale ( not too pale ) beech decking which can take kids and dogs running on it for a very long while, and that wont go and bust my bank?

Thanks all.

Andrew

Paul K
03-07-2005, 18:00
Laminate flooring with pets? Are you sure you want to watch your dogs sliding about the place or listen to their nails clipping along the floor all day?

Roy MM
03-07-2005, 18:02
Great watching my dog skidding round corners. :D:D

AndrewJ
Not a issue Paul.

Dogs are out most of the day with my partner on fields then cleaned when they come home.

paulyoung666
you only get what you pay for , and boy are you going to pay , one of the problems you will have is , to get a good enough quality to stand upto use in your kitchen all of it will have to be the same unless you can match the color from a different product :erm:

AndrewJ
03-07-2005, 18:05
We have deciced if the cost of decking the kitchen is daft we will just lino it, and deck the living room and hallway ( lower end not the steps )

Raistlin
03-07-2005, 18:05
Wouldn't bother with laminate, it's impossible to seal correctly.

You're going to need a flooring that can be sealed properly to stop any moisture getting into it (especially in the kitchen). If any moisture gets into it then you can kiss goodbye to all your hard-earned money as the flloring starts to lift an warp!

You might be better with a vinyl (not too soft or the dog's claws will penetrate it) or some tiles.

AndrewJ
03-07-2005, 18:07
Have hit a good point there, just where to get a quote and decide on which flooring its hard work because of the dogs.

How much likely for a living room and lower hallway to be done in stone tiling ( have spotted them in Bnq and they look nice ) or would i be wiser to cut cost and go for a vinyl tile?

Paul K
03-07-2005, 18:08
To be honest I wouldn't laminate a large area of the downstairs with dogs in the house but if you want it done then you would be suprised how easy it is to do if you take your time and plan it properly. Many DIY shacks sell good quality laminate now, the clik-lok system is easy to use and looks good when it's done.
If you want it done for you then you will be paying a lot of money for it, probably 2-3 times the cost of doing it yourself.

AndrewJ
03-07-2005, 18:09
Hmm I am more worried of making a hash of it.

Paul K
03-07-2005, 18:09
Have hit a good point there, just where to get a quote and decide on which flooring its hard work because of the dogs.

How much likely for a living room and lower hallway to be done in stone tiling ( have spotted them in Bnq and they look nice ) or would i be wiser to cut cost and go for a vinyl tile?
Take your room measurements to your local carpet store and ask for an estimate, make sure they quote you for the right laminate for kitchen/ wet areas. Then when you have your quote..... go elsewhere lol

paulyoung666
03-07-2005, 18:10
another thing to think of is , it is going to be cold underfoot :erm:

edit:- here's (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=29224&highlight=laminate+flooring) another thread on a the same subject , installation this time though :)

Paul K
03-07-2005, 18:11
another thing to think of is , it is going to be cold underfoot :erm:
Very cold in winter, especially if you are covering large areas as the heat is sucked out of the room by it. A good quality, think underlay material will help but that stuff will add a few £100 to the bill too.

AndrewJ
03-07-2005, 18:14
Heatings not a problem we have a brand new grade A boiler.

We are leaning towards vinyl flooring as decking sounds like high maintence and carpters are out of the question, althoughmy gf has fitted vinyl before at her parents house, I am warey of the BnQ dreaded low quality crap.

Paul K
03-07-2005, 18:16
Don't have to resort to B&Q as most carpet places stock it too these days and you can get it cut to the rough dimensions too. Get the measurements and go round a few places, lets face it Carpet Right etc always have sales on lol. At least that way you can get a quote sorted out and know a rough cost. Don't forget you may need to change threshold strips in doorways etc.

paulyoung666
03-07-2005, 18:16
vinyl in your living room :erm: , rather you than me :D :D :D

Russ
03-07-2005, 18:17
Watching dogs run across laminate flooring is always a laugh, especially when they need to make a sudden stop :D

Also it will sound like you have a troop of tap-dancers in the house when they're walking across it, bear that in mind at night or when you're having a kip.

Paul K
03-07-2005, 18:17
Watching dogs run across laminate flooring is always a laugh, especially when they need to make a sudden stop :D

Also it will sound like you have a troop of tap-dancers in the house when they're walking across it, bear that in mind at night or when you're having a kip.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=515050&postcount=2 ;)

AndrewJ
03-07-2005, 18:18
So we have three dogs whats my best choice for

1) quality and long lasting stain resitence

2) ease of cleaning and fitting

3) cost effective

Heating aint a major issue I can heat this house relativing cheap, as for noise the two Samoyed sleep in the kitchen and the Jack Russel sleeps in the back bedroom ( the young samoyed picks on him for back rides :| )

Raistlin
03-07-2005, 18:20
When you look at your vinyls give them a squeeze between thumb and forefinger.

They should be of a decent thickness but firm (almost hard). The padded, bouncy, ones are no good for the area that you're looking to have it installed. Heels, small stones, dig claws, will all puncture the surface.

Generally, Forbo Nairn are a good make of vinyl. I would expect to pay between £15 and £20 a square metre for a good one (not uncluding fitting). With these heavier grade vinyls it is worth getting them professionally fitted. They can be tough to cut and it's all to easy to make a mistake.
The sub floor needs to be level and solid as well. Your fitter may need to do some preparatory work on the floor before fitting the vinyl.
Never fit new vinyl straight on top of old, unless the old vinyl has been sealed first, as the colours from the old one can leach through into the new vinyl above.

As for carpets (I'm assuming that if you don't laminate the lounge and hall you will carpet them).

Go for a short, twisted pile, carpet. One made of Polypropelene will be stain proof (you can actually pour bleach on it and it won't take the colour out!!).

paulyoung666
03-07-2005, 18:21
When you look at your vinyls give them a squeeze between thumb and forefinger.

They should be of a decent thickness but firm (almost hard). The padded, bouncy, ones are no good for the area that you're looking to have it installed. Heels, small stones, dig claws, will all puncture the surface.

Generally, Forbo Nairn are a good make of vinyl. I would expect to pay between £15 and £20 a square metre for a good one (not uncluding fitting). With these heavier grade vinyls it is worth getting them professionally fitted. They can be tough to cut and it's all to easy to make a mistake.
The sub floor needs to be level and solid as well. Your fitter may need to do some preparatory work on the floor before fitting the vinyl.
Never fit new vinyl straight on top of old, unless the old vinyl has been sealed first, as the colours from the old one can leach through into the new vinyl above.

and i f you did fit it yourself , dont do what a mate of mine did, used the old as a template except he got a mirror image of it because he cut it face to face :disturbd: :D :D :D

Raistlin
03-07-2005, 18:22
and i f you did fit it yourself , dont do what a mate of mine did, used the old as a template except he got a mirror image of it because he cut it face to face :disturbd: :D :D :D

:erm: :D

AndrewJ
03-07-2005, 18:24

:rofl: classic

We are moving to the vinyl, my gf has fitted this flooring before, would you recommend buying it from BnQ? or should get goto carpet right etc?

Stuart
03-07-2005, 18:25
TBH, I wouldn't bother with Laminate for the kitchen (waterproof or not). A friend of mine had Laminate flooring all over the bottom floor of his house. The floor in the kitchen, despite being "waterproof" started to warp after three years. He had it pulled up (he had a concrete floor underneath) and replaced it with vinyl and is far happier.

AndrewJ
03-07-2005, 18:27
Aye vinyl seems to be our choice now, she fancies a marble effect ( shes American ) and to be honest I think it would look nice considering our decor here, ( brass fireplace with marble surround and mahogony fitting ) not bad for a council pad eh.

Paul K
03-07-2005, 18:28
TBH, I wouldn't bother with Laminate for the kitchen (waterproof or not). A friend of mine had Laminate flooring all over the bottom floor of his house. The floor in the kitchen, despite being "waterproof" started to warp after three years. He had it pulled up (he had a concrete floor underneath) and replaced it with vinyl and is far happier.
Did he seal the concrete? If not that may have been the cause of the warping. Laminate is ok in certain areas but I wouldn't use it in large areas in a house or areas where small children, pets or people with co-ordination difficulties will be involved.

Raistlin
03-07-2005, 18:29
So long as you follow the advice I've posted above regarding quality and fitting you should be ok.

You could go for a cheap one and then replace every few years, or you could go for a more expensive one and keep it longer - depends on your finances.

If you do get one from Carpetright bare in mind that they are always running one promotion or another. If they tell you to buy today because the discount ends tomorrow take it with a pinch of salt. They may end the discount tomorrow but the next discount is just around the corner :)

They stock vinyl on the roll, and to special order. In most cases the ones to order are the better quality but you have to wait 2-3 weeks for them.

Don't forget that the vinyls are quite wide (usually 2 or 3 metres (6'6" or 9'10") from stock or 4m (13'1") if ordered), you mustn't fold them in any way or the creases will be in there for good - make sure you take a BIG car, a roof rack, or a trailer if you are collecting!!

AndrewJ
03-07-2005, 18:32
I agree with you there Paul the dogs are used to vinyl in the kitchen, and they are apt now at knowing where to run and when not to run.

Now to find a decent marble effect vinyl flooring for a honest price.

So long as you follow the advice I've posted above regarding quality and fitting you should be ok.

You could go for a cheap one and then replace every few years, or you could go for a more expensive one and keep it longer - depends on your finances.

If you do get one from Carpetright bare in mind that they are always running one promotion or another. If they tell you to buy today because the discount ends tomorrow take it with a pinch of salt. They may end the discount tomorrow but the next discount is just around the corner :)

They stock vinyl on the roll, and to special order. In most cases the ones to order are the better quality but you have to wait 2-3 weeks for them.

Don't forget that the vinyls are quite wide (usually 2 or 3 metres (6'6" or 9'10") from stock or 4m (13'1") if ordered), you mustn't fold them in any way or the creases will be in there for good - make sure you take a BIG car, a roof rack, or a trailer if you are collecting!!

Thanks for the tip on the folding there I was thinking of the tiled vinyl flooring, I am trying to talk her into letting them fit it as the biggest ride I have right now is a Ford Orion 1.6 Ghia :disturbd: .

A nice decent quality vinyl which would last about 3years would be nice.

Paul K
03-07-2005, 18:32
I agree with you there Paul the dogs are used to vinyl in the kitchen, and they are apt now at knowing where to run and when not to run.

Now to find a decent marble effect vinyl flooring for a honest price.
Shop around, plenty of places with sales and offers on, make sure you get a decent thickness for areas where you have high traffic (it's often easier to cut and lay down too).

makikomi
03-07-2005, 18:33
Just one important point - let the wood acclimatise. :)

(Awaits a verbal blast from Whyme38...)

Raistlin
03-07-2005, 18:38
Thanks for the tip on the folding there I was thinking of the tiled vinyl flooring, I am trying to talk her into letting them fit it as the biggest ride I have right now is a Ford Orion 1.6 Ghia :disturbd: .

A nice decent quality vinyl which would last about 3years would be nice.

Most of the cheaper ones (off the roll in Carpetright) should last you three years easy. You may find (after a couple of years) that some of the patterning starts to wear (there's a clear coating on top of the pattern, this is thicker in more expensive vinyls) but it shouldn't be too bad.

Try not to go for anything spongy though - you will regret it, promise ;)

Oh, and if you're getting them to fit it.....

Make sure you get their estimator out to do the measuring, remember that their fitters are sub-contractors (they aren't employed by CarpetRight), they will probably ask you to make sure that the room is clear (old vinyl taken up, floor scraped if required, appliances out of the way if you want the vinyl to be fitted under them) before the come out.

There will be a fitting charge (and a delivery and handling charge as well). The cost of the vinyl, and delivery, is paid when you place the order - you pay the fitters on the day for the fitting charge (cash is best as they are self employed usually).

As an aside. I would ask about in your local area (friends.family etc) and see if they can recommend a good local carpet shop. They will usually employ their own fitters, you will get a better service, and you won't normally pay much more than you would at CarpetRight (you may even pay less overall).

They are unlikely to stock the vinyl (although some do) but they should be able to get it fairly quickly.

Paul K
03-07-2005, 18:38
Try not to go for anything spongy though - you will regret it, promise ;)
They tend to dent well and dog claws have a habit of digging into them if my experience of soft/ spongy lino is anything to go by :(

AndrewJ
03-07-2005, 18:40
So go for something stiff and hard and hard to flex while in the roll in the shop?

I like carpet right they fitted my hallway carpet and there contractor was very polite and helpful even did inside my cupboard when it was not in the quote.

Jules
03-07-2005, 18:45
Just one important point - let the wood acclimatise. :)

(Awaits a verbal blast from Whyme38...)

Acclimatise! ACCLIMATISE!!!! It said to leave for for 24-48 hours mine has been at the back of the sofa for nearly 18 months!! :mad:

AndrewJ
03-07-2005, 18:46
:dozey: Acclimatise! ACCLIMATISE!!!! It said to leave for for 24-48 hours mine has been at the back of the sofa for nearly 18 months!! :mad:

erm

:wtf:

Raistlin
03-07-2005, 18:47
You're supposed to leave laminate (or any sort of wood) in the house to get used to the ambient temperature/moisture for 24-48 hours.

It would appear that makikomi has been promising to fit whyme's laminate for slightly longer than that..... ;)

Paul K
03-07-2005, 18:48
Oh, and if you're getting them to fit it.....
Snippy
They are unlikely to stock the vinyl (although some do) but they should be able to get it fairly quickly.
And that post sums up pretty much all you need to know about carpet right ;) Like I said though, shop around, get rough quotes and then remember what Uncle Raist et all have told you :p:

You're supposed to leave laminate (or any sort of wood) in the house to get used to the ambient temperature/moisture for 24-48 hours.

It would appear that makikomi has been promising to fit whyme's laminate for slightly longer than that..... ;)
Well it takes time to fully adjust to some household conditions :angel: ;)

AndrewJ
LOL I shall shop around its payday soon so time to go out hunting the new flooring, we need it bad time.

I would recommend the vanish carpet mousse things, they do work and have saved this carpet too many times already.

Jules
Saxo when you put laminate down you are meant to leave it to acclimatise for 24-48 hours. Maki has in his wisdom decided that it said years instead of hours!

AndrewJ
03-07-2005, 18:49
ROFL now I am with you.

makikomi
03-07-2005, 19:19
So go for something stiff and hard and hard to flex while in the roll in the shop?

Stop it! My double entendre monitor nearly overloaded on that sentence! :)

Acclimatise! ACCLIMATISE!!!! It said to leave for for 24-48 hours mine has been at the back of the sofa for nearly 18 months!! :mad:

Yes dear.

These things take time.

:disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

Hey Raistlin... come on! You can't rush a good job.... :disturbd:

Raistlin
03-07-2005, 19:21
I never said you were wrong.....

makikomi
03-07-2005, 19:21
Saxo when you put laminate down you are meant to leave it to acclimatise for 24-48 hours. Maki has in his wisdom decided that it said years instead of hours!

NOW THAT'S JUST A BLATANT LIE!!!!!!!

<Mumbles... I thought it said 24-48 months....>

Jules
03-07-2005, 19:22
Back on subject (I will sort you out later Maki!)

I couldn't make up my mind if I should get carpet or wood flooring when my dog came in the room and was sick on the floor! That made up my mind right away lol

Raistlin
03-07-2005, 19:22
I mean, you could argue that during the course of 24-48 hours the house would almost certainly change temperature (and possibly the humidity would change as well) - that would mean that you would have to leave things another 24-48 hours to settle.....of course, during that second period of 24-48 hours.....

Jules
03-07-2005, 19:23
I can really go off people you know Raistlin!

Tuftus
03-07-2005, 21:14
I di my entire ground floor with laminate flooring in one lay so it flows from one room to the next.

The best peice of advice I could possibly give would be to get Knee Pads!!! I cannot emphasise that enough, GET KNEE PADS!!!

Other than that, take your time, measure twice, cut once etc

Enjoy the final result!

Jules
03-07-2005, 21:19
There you go Maki no excuse now as I got you the knees pads remember....... a year ago last easter :rolleyes:

Roy MM
03-07-2005, 21:21
NOW THAT'S JUST A BLATANT LIE!!!!!!!

<Mumbles... I thought it said 24-48 months....>

Domestic...domestic. :Sprint:

makikomi
05-07-2005, 00:39
I mean, you could argue that during the course of 24-48 hours the house would almost certainly change temperature (and possibly the humidity would change as well) - that would mean that you would have to leave things another 24-48 hours to settle.....of course, during that second period of 24-48 hours.....

Eh? Oh! Yeah!

See Julie! THAT'S why I haven't laid it down... honest!

It's nothing to do with me playing war games on my comp...... :angel:

There you go Maki no excuse now as I got you the knees pads remember....... a year ago last easter :rolleyes:

What, those rubber thingies?

Oh.

I thought they were for son-and-heir for when he goes out skateboarding.... :angel:

Domestic...domestic. :Sprint:

Why are you on about toilet cleaners??!

Oh.

Thought you said domestos...

:disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

Maggy
05-07-2005, 00:43
It might be quicker to get another husband. :tu:

OR pay someone else to do it with someone's BEER money. ;)

ian@huth
05-07-2005, 00:54
The Edge flooring system from B&Q looks easy for DIY installation of ceramic floor tiles. The ceramic tiles are bonded to backerboard and are far easier and quicker to install than conventional floor tiles with tile cement.

http://www.edgeflooring.com/site/green.html for details of product. The site has some excellent installation videos.

Tuftus
05-07-2005, 01:04

Beer money is sacred!

Even if the bailiffs are on the door this must not be sacrificed... ;)

makikomi
05-07-2005, 01:48

Two problems with that Incognitas...

1) Whyme38 and I aren't married yet. (Though she says she'll marry me for the pleasure of divorcing me! :))

2) I don't drink or go to the pub!

Back to the drawing board, eh? ;) :D :p:

AndrewJ
05-07-2005, 02:24
We are having a cleaner people around later next week to attempt to see wether our carpet can be rescued from the rath of the dogs.

If so it will only cost us £23.50 per month and they will shampoo and conditon and clean the sofa's. Considering how much time we are with the dogs and training this could be a breakthrough for us.

However the vinyl flooring at BnQ we spotted a lovely decking lookalke roll and are thinking about laying that down.

etccarmageddon
05-07-2005, 07:55
...You're going to need a flooring that can be sealed properly to stop any moisture getting into it (especially in the kitchen). If any moisture gets into it then you can kiss goodbye to all your hard-earned money as the flloring starts to lift an warp!..My kitchen has lovely laminate - when we moved in I thought whoever did it was a moron as water and laminate dont mix and I was right. I plumbed in a new washing machine and the dodgy existing pipes leaked - the water got under the laminate and it's now completely ruined. I recommend floor tiles for kitchens - I know a good tiler who lives in cheadle - he's not cheap though. Alternatively lino should be easy to put in yourself.

Maggy
05-07-2005, 12:36
Two problems with that Incognitas...

1) Whyme38 and I aren't married yet. (Though she says she'll marry me for the pleasure of divorcing me! :))

2) I don't drink or go to the pub!

Back to the drawing board, eh? ;) :D :p:

There is one thing she can ration... :naughty:

makikomi
05-07-2005, 23:10
:Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: Oh bugger...

I'll have it down this evening....

Nahhhh... I'll pay someone to do it for me.

Halcyon
06-07-2005, 00:39
I'd love to do my room in laminate flooring. The only problem is noise.
A carpet absorbs noise really well and as I am in the loft and like my music, I need good sound isolation.

I do think however that laminate flooring is great for cleaning. Very easy to clean and reduces dust build up dramatically.