PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm gonna go.... nuts

Jerrek
01-10-2003, 23:30
http://www.lordoftherings.net/index_105_fi_news.html

Then, on Tuesday, December 16, participating theaters will show a one-time-only marathon of both Extended Edition prints followed by an 11pm screening of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. The official opening of the film will commence at 12:01 AM on Wednesday, December 17, 2003.

All three movies, (two extended editions and one regular) BACK TO BACK, in one what, 12 hour marathon? (3 hours 40 minutes x2 + 3 hours + 2 hours for breaks)

OMG I'm going to do that. Think of watching them all, back to back, in the theater. :eeek: :eeek: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Alan Waddington
01-10-2003, 23:42
I have trouble sitting still for an 8 hour trip to the states. No way am i going to survive a 12 hour stint in a cinema seat. Even if they do first class :D

Jerrek
01-10-2003, 23:50
There will probably be breaks in between. But damn, I was thinking that I will need to review the first two before I go see the third. This would be a GREAT way to review it.

Unfortunately, after asking a few girls, it seems just about 0 of them are interested in this. It must be a guy thing.

homealone
02-10-2003, 00:18
There will probably be breaks in between. But damn, I was thinking that I will need to review the first two before I go see the third. This would be a GREAT way to review it.

Unfortunately, after asking a few girls, it seems just about 0 of them are interested in this. It must be a guy thing.

Jerrek, my mum gave me The Hobbit, to read on the plane from kenya to school in the uk in 1964.

Return of the King - yay:smokin:

TigaSefi
02-10-2003, 09:25
Jerrek, your lucky to get that i wish the UK would do it, I definitely would go meself.

timewarrior2001
02-10-2003, 11:27

Then, on Tuesday, December 16, participating theaters will show a one-time-only marathon of both Extended Edition prints followed by an 11pm screening of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. The official opening of the film will commence at 12:01 AM on Wednesday, December 17, 2003.

All three movies, (two extended editions and one regular) BACK TO BACK, in one what, 12 hour marathon? (3 hours 40 minutes x2 + 3 hours + 2 hours for breaks)

OMG I'm going to do that. Think of watching them all, back to back, in the theater. :eeek: :eeek: :drool: :drool: :drool:

It would be my worst nightmare, I hated the first and second film, I doubt highly the third will be any better. Besides I got better things to do than spend 12 hours in a cinema.

Not only must it be a guy thing it must be a bit of a nerdy thing too. When I went to see the 2nd film there were people dressed up as characters!!!!!!! My god people get a life lol.

downquark1
02-10-2003, 11:30
It would be my worst nightmare, I hated the first and second film, I doubt highly the third will be any better. Besides I got better things to do than spend 12 hours in a cinema.

Not only must it be a guy thing it must be a bit of a nerdy thing too. When I went to see the 2nd film there were people dressed up as characters!!!!!!! My god people get a life lol.
Nothing wrong with a bit of escapism.

I can't understand people who follow football.

PS: I never did dress up, but I think it is only a bit of fun

Mal
02-10-2003, 11:35

Glad to see that I'm not alone :)

zoombini
02-10-2003, 11:57
Hmm, that would be an ppurtunity to get rid of the wife for a day... lol.

Scarlett
02-10-2003, 11:57

It must be then, I'm a bloke in IT and I am really looking forward to the new film and yes in my spare time I do tend to dress up in fantasy (as in LOTR type fantasy I might add) costume, Live Role playing. I do have a life, somewhere, hang on I'd better go and see if I can find it...

Nope not here.

On the other hand my other half is the same, and she's female and also like to do the live roleplay thing and doesn't work in IT.

Scarlett.

Nope, still can't find it!

kink
02-10-2003, 12:00

You might just be asking the wrong 'girls' :shrug: or it could just be you they don't want to go with :eek:

Just a thought....... ;)

philip.j.fry
02-10-2003, 12:14
I don't think it's a guy thing, my gf is more excited than I am (she only read the books a week before the first film after I forbade her from going until she had read it).

I think the films are fantastic as films in their own right, but I'm a little dissapointed by some of the inaccuraccies in them when compared to the book :nono:

Chris
02-10-2003, 12:18

No sign of that in the UK at the mo, but in any case I wouldn't go to a back-to-back screening yet .... Peter Jackson has said that he always hoped the trilogy might one day be screened as one film, and the three films have been made with that in mind. Some time after Return of the King is out, I wouldn't be surprised if a re-cut single edition of the whole shabang is released. When that comes out, I'll go see it... until then, I have my Fellowship extended DVD, and it'll be joined on the shelf by the extended Two Towers in time for me to watch them both before we go and see the final film in the cinema at Christmas.

handyman
02-10-2003, 12:40
No sign of that in the UK at the mo, but in any case I wouldn't go to a back-to-back screening yet .... Peter Jackson has said that he always hoped the trilogy might one day be screened as one film, and the three films have been made with that in mind. Some time after Return of the King is out, I wouldn't be surprised if a re-cut single edition of the whole shabang is released. When that comes out, I'll go see it... until then, I have my Fellowship extended DVD, and it'll be joined on the shelf by the extended Two Towers in time for me to watch them both before we go and see the final film in the cinema at Christmas.

Im not sure it would be possible to show the whole thing in one go, films like lotr push cake stands to the limit for the amount of film they can hold anyway. Thats the reason for the breaks. it wouls be possible (maybe) to play it back in one go but i dont think the equipment could deal with 3x the amount of film when respooling it.

Chris
02-10-2003, 12:43
Im not sure it would be possible to show the whole thing in one go, films like lotr push cake stands to the limit for the amount of film they can hold anyway. Thats the reason for the breaks. it wouls be possible (maybe) to play it back in one go but i dont think the equipment could deal with 3x the amount of film when respooling it.
I dunno about the technicalities ... you would have to have a break or two in any case just so people could use the bathroom if nothing else I would have thought. I think Jackson's idea would mainly be to change the start and finish of each film so there's only titles / credits at the start and finish.

philip.j.fry
02-10-2003, 13:26
. it wouls be possible (maybe) to play it back in one go but i dont think the equipment could deal with 3x the amount of film when respooling it.

You haven't watched Fight Club then, no film comes on one big spool, someone has to cut and paste during the running of the film.

Jerrek
02-10-2003, 18:11
I don't know about reels. A lot of the local theaters here are digital and hence no spools.

Theodoric
02-10-2003, 19:32

12 hours? A mere bagatelle! A fair number of years ago a cinema in London did a continuous 24 hour showing of Batman serials, and without any breaks. You youngsters have no stamina!

Addendum And the real Ring lasts about 12 hours in total.

philip.j.fry
02-10-2003, 22:03
Addendum And the real Ring lasts about 12 hours in total.

I'll bite, what's the real ring?

Theodoric
03-10-2003, 20:25
I'll bite, what's the real ring?
Das Ring des Nibelungen by Richard Wagner, consisting of Das Rheingold, Die Valkyrie, Siegfried and GÃÃâ€*’¶tterdà ƒÆ’Ãâ€*’¤mmerung, also known as the Ring Cycle.

Jerrek
04-10-2003, 18:40
More info. Sorry guys, seems like U.S. and Canada only.

http://www.detnews.com/2003/entertainment/0308/28/b01-254320.htm

Hold onto your hats, Hobbits: New Line Cinema will re-release the first two "Lord of the Rings" films in theaters just before the Dec. 17 national debut of the last chapter, "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King." It all starts Dec. 5 with the release of the 208-minute extended DVD edition of the first film, "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring." The film will be released in about 100 theaters in the United States and about 20 in Canada, Variety magazine reports. The scene repeats Dec. 12 with the 214-minute extended cut of "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers." (That version arrives on DVD Nov. 18.) But the lord of movie marathons come to select cities Dec. 16 with a nearly 12-hour back-to-back screening of the trilogy. The daylong festival begins with a 3 p.m. showing of "Fellowship," followed by a 7 p.m. screening of "Two Towers," concluding with an 11 p.m. premiere of "King." Advance ticket sales will begin in late September or early October through online movie sites such as Fandango, MovieFone and MovieTickets.com. (emphasis added)