PDA

View Full Version : Quitting smoking

Bifta
02-07-2005, 14:34
I've finally decided to have a good crack at quitting smoking, I could do with the extra £150+ a month to spend on other things, it'd be nice to be able to exercise without getting out of breath and I don't like redecorating the house every 6 months to get rid of the nicotine coloured paint.

I've tried the inhalators, they didn't work, I've tried Allen Carr's "Easy Way to stop smoking" which frankly was a load of rubbish and I'm now on the patches (Niquitin CQ, the 21mg ones).

Has anyone got any tips for me? I'm not especially craving a cigarette but my body feels like it's buzzing, not sure if it's to do with the patches or not.

Lastly, any anti-smokers who think adding stupid advice like "just quit, be a man" etc, don't bother, I'll ask for it to be removed if you do post it.

I've started a blog to keep track of how I'm getting on but I'm not going to post it here yet, I'll wait a couple of weeks so it's actually got some useful information (hopefully some of which gather from ex-smokers on here) for people wanting to give up in the future.

TIA

Gareth
02-07-2005, 14:40
Been there, done that, mate. Patches work best, but the hardest thing is changing your routine. Find a substitute for the smoke you had after your meal, or with your morning coffee. Just be careful for what you choose - I went for mints, but ended up putting on weight cause of all the Softmints I was chucking down my throat.

Nicotine is addictive, but can be overcome easily. Smoking - the concept - is habitual, and that's a lot more difficult to change.

Bifta
02-07-2005, 14:42
Been there, done that, mate. Patches work best, but the hardest thing is changing your routine. Find a substitute for the smoke you had after your meal, or with your morning coffee. Just be careful for what you choose - I went for mints, but ended up putting on weight cause of all the Softmints I was chucking down my throat.

Nicotine is addictive, but can be overcome easily. Smoking - the concept - is habitual, and that's a lot more difficult to change.

My theory is that not smoking will increase my energy levels, so I might end up substituting food for the habitual side of it but I'll have enough get up and go to actually exercise to keep the weight off. It'll probably be mints for me too, and not sugar free ones either, can't stick the taste.

Paul K
02-07-2005, 14:45
I'm not an anti-smoker (both parents smoked for the majority of their life before quitting, dad smoked for the better part of 60 years and never thought he could quit) but to be honest the biggest influence in your ability to quit smoking will be you. If you really want to quit and are prepared to put a lot of effort into it then I for one have no reason to doubt that you will fail this time.
You may find that changing things within your daily routine will help, keeping yourself away from situations that normally would lead you to light up, keeping yourself busy, even keeping a diary/ blog to remind yourself why you want to quit and to report your progress will all help.
Some find the gum helps, some use the patches but neither route will work unless you want it to. Some even succeed via hypnotic suggestion lol.
I for one will be happy to be amongst the many here that will be glad to support your efforts in quitting, it takes a lot of effort and a lot of commitment but I'm sure you are up to the task.
Good luck with it Bifta :tu:

Gareth
02-07-2005, 15:03
My theory is that not smoking will increase my energy levels, so I might end up substituting food for the habitual side of it but I'll have enough get up and go to actually exercise to keep the weight off.Yep, I found that exercise helped a lot, although it was damned tough to start with. I joined a gym at the same time I stopped smoking, that worked for me. My missus found starting a diet at the same time helped her stop smoking, cause she was so missing decent food she didn't mind not smoking... but she is French and they, as a nation, enjoy good food and smoking cigarettes pretty much from birth.

Bifta
02-07-2005, 15:16
Yep, I found that exercise helped a lot, although it was damned tough to start with. I joined a gym at the same time I stopped smoking, that worked for me. My missus found starting a diet at the same time helped her stop smoking, cause she was so missing decent food she didn't mind not smoking... but she is French and they, as a nation, enjoy good food and smoking cigarettes pretty much from birth.

I love my food too but I also (at least used to) enjoy being active, it'd be nice to be able to smell and taste what I cook in future (or maybe not). I did just get a queer look asking for 20 packets of Extra Strong Mints, I was tempted to mention "I've just given up smoking" but I know the woman in the shop also gave up 5 years ago and I wasn't in the mood for a whole lecture on how easy she found it.

Tezcatlipoca
02-07-2005, 15:21
The cravings don't last for very long, & I think it only takes a few days (?) for the nicotine to leave your body. What I found the hardest was breaking the habit... fag while waiting for the bus, fag at break & lunch at work, fag on the way home, etc. Especially hard getting out of the habit of smoking while out at the pub.

I found gum (just normal gum) helped...gave my mouth something to do! Also, as others have said, exercise definitely helps.

I also found that there were certain "triggers" which initially would quite easily set me off again & make me light up. Took a while, but I've managed to control most of them now. Had a bit of a relapse recently though :erm:

Bifta
02-07-2005, 15:27
The cravings don't last for very long, & I think it only takes a few days (?) for the nicotine to leave your body. What I found the hardest was breaking the habit... fag while waiting for the bus, fag at break & lunch at work, fag on the way home, etc. Especially hard getting out of the habit of smoking while out at the pub.

I found gum (just normal gum) helped...gave my mouth something to do! Also, as others have said, exercise definitely helps.

I also found that there were certain "triggers" which initially would quite easily set me off again & make me light up. Took a while, but I've managed to control most of them now. Had a bit of a relapse recently though :erm:

Apparently it's 3 months for all the nicotine to leave your body :( (according to this crappy book)

Tezcatlipoca
02-07-2005, 15:28
Three months?! Guess I was told wrong. Arse.

Bifta
02-07-2005, 15:31

NHS say's a couple of day's, maybe this blokes referring to the cravings for nicotine.

Marge
02-07-2005, 15:35
Not quite the same as smoking but I used to bite my nails for years and years, I'd wanted to stop but couldn't. However one day I just decided, right, that's it, no more !!! I think it's getting your head sorted about it and half the battle is wanting to do it rather than thinking you should do it. I'm sure you can do it Bifta cos you sound detemined and I wish you all the luck in the world.

Paul K
02-07-2005, 15:35

NHS say's a couple of day's, maybe this blokes referring to the cravings for nicotine.
Think it's the cravings as the body needs a period of time to recover from it's dependance on nicotine stimualtion.
I've seen a quote elsewhere that states that after 72 hours the main nicotine cravings should be over but that you will need 2-3 months for your body to completely forget its need for nicotine.

Bifta
02-07-2005, 15:42
I think what tipped me over the edge was wanting to buy an expensive camera lens this month then thinking "but I have to keep back a couple of hundred for fags" then though, a couple of hundred quid for something that's not really benefitting me? Balls to that, so I've just spent the guts of 500 quid on something far more useful :D

Paul K
02-07-2005, 15:45
Best reason to quit is so that you can afford to buy something that will actually be of use to you and that you will enjoy ;)

homealone
02-07-2005, 16:32
It will be a year this August, since I gave up. I did it 'cold turkey', but i was lucky that I chose to give up as we set off for a 10 day cruise in Alaska. I say lucky because I found it was the combination of a complete change of routine, along with the compete ban on smoking in airports, on planes & on the ship, that really helped - plus 24 hours day food on the ship, too.;)

Craving wise I think the 'addiction' to nicotine went in less than a week, but the truth in what Matt D said about 'triggers' became obvious once I got home & really missed the 1st fag with a cup of tea in the morning, at breaks in work, etc - and worst of all in a room with smokers after a few drinks. I still 'die' for a fag, sometimes, for no apparent reason - it would be so easy to start again, but I feel so much better for stopping, now, it has become easier to resist

Good luck Bifta, you have to find the way that works for you, but you sound well motivated & wanting to stop is the main thing.:tu:

Angua
02-07-2005, 17:19
Not quite the same as smoking but I used to bite my nails for years and years, I'd wanted to stop but couldn't. However one day I just decided, right, that's it, no more !!! I think it's getting your head sorted about it and half the battle is wanting to do it rather than thinking you should do it. I'm sure you can do it Bifta cos you sound detemined and I wish you all the luck in the world.

Absolutely spot on Marge.:tu::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu:

I had tried several times to quit but always ended up going back.
This time I was so fed up with smoking and decided no more! I got help from the local GP's smoking support nurse and got all my patches on prescription (even ended up cutting the 10mg ones in half for tha last couple of weeks). Hubby did cold turkey at the same time (like living with the rattiest bear with a sore head you could imagine, thankfully the patches kept me sane). You may be feeling woozy due to being on the 24hour patches, I managed on the all day ones only (I could always wait for the first fag in the morning).
Here I am 20 months later still not smoking but 2 stone heavier (working on getting that off now by going to the gym) but everyone says it is better to be overweight than to smoke.

All the very best of luck.:angel: You only have to give up one ciggy a day! (The first one)!!!!:rolleyes:

marky
02-07-2005, 17:28
Its the cig that smokes i am just the sucker on the back of it

Angua
02-07-2005, 17:45
Just another thought, food tastes sooooo much better when you don't smoke http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/15.gif

Richard M
02-07-2005, 19:01
I want to quit so would like to read the blog when you post it. :tu:
Good luck. :)

Tuftus
02-07-2005, 19:04
Good luck, hope you do better than I did!!!

allieyoung666
02-07-2005, 19:59
I quit smoking back in November after the threat of being admited with an asthma attack and a chest infection. I did not need to take any therapy, I just used will power, even though paul still smokes I make him smoke outside or away from me and the boys. I have found out with some of the patients, it was just pure will power and NRT does not work, it works for some but not for everyone, good luck, you will find your own way, weither it is taking up a hobby or exercise, you will find your own happy medium and it will keep you on the straight and narrow.

Bifta
02-07-2005, 20:07
8pm, cravings haven't been too bad so far, going to take the patch of my arse (it's itchy if I stick it anywhere else) before I go to bed, had nightmares last time I tried to quit and forgot to remove it.

allieyoung666
02-07-2005, 20:11
I have never had the pleasure of NRT, I had a friend who used to smoke and have them on, she would come back on to the ward as high as a kite! what did you have to eat before you went to bed???

Jules
02-07-2005, 20:16
I wish you all the best and admire you for stopping....good luck :tu:

Bill C
02-07-2005, 20:18
I've finally decided to have a good crack at quitting smoking, I could do with the extra £150+ a month to spend on other things, it'd be nice to be able to exercise without getting out of breath and I don't like redecorating the house every 6 months to get rid of the nicotine coloured paint.

I've tried the inhalators, they didn't work, I've tried Allen Carr's "Easy Way to stop smoking" which frankly was a load of rubbish and I'm now on the patches (Niquitin CQ, the 21mg ones).

Has anyone got any tips for me? I'm not especially craving a cigarette but my body feels like it's buzzing, not sure if it's to do with the patches or not.

Lastly, any anti-smokers who think adding stupid advice like "just quit, be a man" etc, don't bother, I'll ask for it to be removed if you do post it.

I've started a blog to keep track of how I'm getting on but I'm not going to post it here yet, I'll wait a couple of weeks so it's actually got some useful information (hopefully some of which gather from ex-smokers on here) for people wanting to give up in the future.

TIA

Used zyban myself. Been off the fags for 16 months now :). All the best m8 i know its not easy but you can do it :tu:

allieyoung666
02-07-2005, 20:19
It is funny but since I have packed in the only time I have asked for a fag was when I was really drunk about 3 months ago, I dont miss the terrible breath I used to suffer from and that yacky taste!!! No thank you

Tuftus
02-07-2005, 20:49
I always found that the inside on my bicep was the best place to put the patch...

allieyoung666
02-07-2005, 20:52
Everyone who I knew who went on them, got a nasty red rash, so that they to use the daft pen thingy! very naff

Bifta
02-07-2005, 20:54
Used zyban myself. Been off the fags for 16 months now :). All the best m8 i know its not easy but you can do it :tu:

Yeah, first thing I tried to get but my doctor refused point blank to prescribe it, I tried to enlighten him to the fact that you risk only slightly more severe side effects over NRT and that HE is the one that CONSTANTLY bangs on about me quitting.

I always found that the inside on my bicep was the best place to put the patch...

Faaarrrr too itchy, my arse must be like a bit of old leather from sitting on it all day so it's the ideal place.

allieyoung666
02-07-2005, 20:56
Thats right you need to pick a place which is comfortable for you.

Tuftus
02-07-2005, 21:23
Yeah, first thing I tried to get but my doctor refused point blank to prescribe it, I tried to enlighten him to the fact that you risk only slightly more severe side effects over NRT and that HE is the one that CONSTANTLY bangs on about me quitting.

Faaarrrr too itchy, my arse must be like a bit of old leather from sitting on it all day so it's the ideal place.

:rofl:

Angua
02-07-2005, 21:38
<snip>
Faaarrrr too itchy, my arse must be like a bit of old leather from sitting on it all day so it's the ideal place.<snip>

Don't forget to change cheeks https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/07/28.gif everyday.

I did both upper arms and chest so 4 different places. Couldn't manage legs as for some reason the patch kept rolling up:erm:.

I personally found the 1st 2 weeks the worst but after 30 years that 's not surprising. After that I found the cravings hit me for the oddest reasons and often because I could smell that someone smoked.

Bifta
02-07-2005, 21:39
Don't forget to change cheeks http://bestsmileys.com/mooners/6.gif everyday.

I did both upper arms and chest so 4 different places. Couldn't manage legs as for some reason the patch kept rolling up:erm:.

I personally found the 1st 2 weeks the worst but after 30 years that 's not surprising. After that I found the cravings hit me for the oddest reasons and often because I could smell that someone smoked.

Am I not supposed to put the patch in the same place then? *knows nothing* If I smell smoke, I'm going to smoke, that's why I'm not out tonight, sad eh?

Angua
02-07-2005, 21:42
Am I not supposed to put the patch in the same place then? *knows nothing* If I smell smoke, I'm going to smoke, that's why I'm not out tonight, sad eh?

Very sensible at this early stage.

Bill C
02-07-2005, 21:53

I did suffer with the No Sleep side affect. But that went after 3 days :LOL:

homealone
02-07-2005, 21:59

one thing that surprised me was the difference between being downwind of a fag & afterwards being close to the person who had smoked it - I hadn't realised how bad I smelt, even though I liked smoking, until I gave up.

- dunno about the patch stuff - especially if you need to shave...:D

Tezcatlipoca
02-07-2005, 23:05
one thing that surprised me was the difference between being downwind of a fag & afterwards being close to the person who had smoked it - I hadn't realised how bad I smelt, even though I liked smoking, until I gave up.

- dunno about the patch stuff - especially if you need to shave...:D

Yeah, the smell is awful. Horrible to think I used to stink like that all the time :erm:

Angua
02-07-2005, 23:46
The wierdest thing is I can go into a pub or someones house where smoking is allowed and I don't notice the smell. Buuuuut anyone comes into our house who smokes and I notice it straight away.

NEONKNIGHT
03-07-2005, 11:25
I packed the fags in for 12 months after my Dad died. I went back on the fags last Christmas time (must have been the time of year) and I'm smoking more now than I ever did. I'd like to pack the fags in but I'm trying to get into the right frame of mind to do it. When I did pack them in I used the patches and I can recommend them - they really do help. I'll be having another crack at it soon - hopefully do it for good this time.

Bill C
03-07-2005, 11:46
Yeah, the smell is awful. Horrible to think I used to stink like that all the time :erm:

Must admit that is one of the things i notice the most. How you can tell when someone has had a fag.

I dont miss standing out in the rain so i can have a smoke.

handyman
03-07-2005, 11:58
I quit 14 months ago after smoking for 14 years :erm:

Used patch's as well though you really must remember to take it off before bed or you get the wildest dreams :spin: . Good luck with it and I can honestly say it does get easier, you'll reach a point where you forget to put on a patch and only notice towards the end of the day. That gives you confidence that you have suceeded.

£1900 saved since quitting :)

marina
03-07-2005, 12:53
[Snipped].....

Craving wise I think the 'addiction' to nicotine went in less than a week, but the truth in what Matt D said about 'triggers' became obvious once I got home & really missed the 1st fag with a cup of tea in the morning, at breaks in work, etc - and worst of all in a room with smokers after a few drinks. I still 'die' for a fag, sometimes, for no apparent reason - it would be so easy to start again, but I feel so much better for stopping, now, it has become easier to resist

.....[Snipped]

So you don't BEG people for a fag when you've been drinking then? ;) :angel:

Sorry gary.... resist :hugs:

But i ask because i'm curious.... how easy is it get over the niccotine-lust the next morning, when you wake up after a boozy relapse? Does it set you back a lot or can you slip back into non-smoking mode?
Does it depend on how long you've not been smoking?

I ask because i'm predicting these moments for me :D

Maggy
03-07-2005, 13:02
Good luck to anyone trying to give up. :tu:

It's the one thing that I am so thankful about that I never started because I KNOW that I'd be in the same situation myself..and I'd NEVER tell anyone to use willpower because you need more than that to cure an addiction. :(

At least there is support and help for smokers to give up these days.. :tu:

Angua
03-07-2005, 15:54

But i ask because i'm curious.... how easy is it get over the niccotine-lust the next morning, when you wake up after a boozy relapse? Does it set you back a lot or can you slip back into non-smoking mode?

If I relapsed it was the whole hog until the next time I gave up :erm:.
I know of several people who smoked whilst wearing patches:dozey:.

Personally speaking success requires willpower (even one as weak as mine will eventually succeed (except for food, can't give that up) I started 32 years ago I am sad to say). There has to be a mind set for kicking the habit, if you are likely to relapse after a boozy night out, don't have a boozy night until your willpower is strong enough or you are so pleased with your progress you won't want to fall back.

I know it is down to mind set as I have failed to give up so many times in the past when I gave up because I aught to, or because it cost too much or even because of peer pressure. This time I just got fed up of smoking and "touch wood" (or whatever) success (so far twice as long as my previous best)!

To anyone who has never smoked or gave up easily well done!http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/1.gif

But for the rest of us it is tough, very tough at times but we will get there one day at a time.https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/01/5.gif

The very very best of luck to anyone giving up smoking, about to give up or given up for a while.https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/07/8.gif

homealone
03-07-2005, 16:25

funny enough that was my only relapse - you bring out the worst in me :p:

- but to answer the question, I didn't find I went immediately back to 'square one'. If I had had one the next morning and carried on, then I can imagine it would have been, but I didn't & it wasn't that hard to resist - testament to the behaviour/habit side being more of the problem than the physical nicotine addiction, I guess.

- so I would say yes, it would depend on how long you have packed in for, as you will have reinforced the non smoking behaviour, more :)

marina
03-07-2005, 17:54
funny enough that was my only relapse - you bring out the worst in me :p:

- but to answer the question, I didn't find I went immediately back to 'square one'. If I had had one the next morning and carried on, then I can imagine it would have been, but I didn't & it wasn't that hard to resist - testament to the behaviour/habit side being more of the problem than the physical nicotine addiction, I guess.

- so I would say yes, it would depend on how long you have packed in for, as you will have reinforced the non smoking behaviour, more :)

I bring out the worst in YOU?? :eek: I remember saying 'no' to you quite a few times...... but typically, you ignored it and assumed that i really DID want to give you one and would relent eventually...... which i did :erm: ;)

In the end i thought.... well you're an adult and responsible for your own decisions and their outcomes :shrug:

And thanks for the honest reply, but i wouldn't see it as a relapse...... you wanted to smoke..... you did..... and then it was over :) I'd like to think that i could do that one day.

allieyoung666
03-07-2005, 19:52
I do not think there is anything wrong in having a relapse as it takes lots of bottle to quit in the first place. I must admit since I have packed in I will not go into the smoking room at work as most of them do and they go mad when I rant on at them, but I must be honest I have not really suffered from any chest infections/asthma attacks since quiting. So there is no way I would go back to smoking!

Bifta
03-07-2005, 20:14
So anyway, day 2 and I still haven't so much as looked at one. Tomorrow will be the clincher, I'll probably avoid coming on here as I'll no doubt lose my rag at the slightest thing.

Marge
03-07-2005, 20:16
So anyway, day 2 and I still haven't so much as looked at one. Tomorrow will be the clincher, I'll probably avoid coming on here as I'll no doubt lose my rag at the slightest thing.

i'll need to go and find somewhere that sells tin hats :erm: :angel:

Jules
03-07-2005, 20:22
Were is Roy in this thread? He gave up smoking a while ago, I hope he didn't lapse

allieyoung666
03-07-2005, 20:25
If you feel narked, have awalk outside and breathe in the nice clean air and get a good lung full, you would have never been able to do that when you were smoking, good luck

NEONKNIGHT
03-07-2005, 20:32
I do not think there is anything wrong in having a relapse as it takes lots of bottle to quit in the first place. I must admit since I have packed in I will not go into the smoking room at work as most of them do and they go mad when I rant on at them, but I must be honest I have not really suffered from any chest infections/asthma attacks since quiting. So there is no way I would go back to smoking!

You mention that you 'rant' at people who smoke being an ex-smoker yourself.
That is one of the worst things you can do and one thing that really gets my back-up! :fit: (as it does your work collegues). I don't want to appear rude but ex-smokers pontificating about people smoking are of the worst kind. In fact, that kind of attitude just makes me want to smoke even more!

Don't take offence with my post here but its just my point of view.

By the way, totally agree with the Marillion thing ! They are one my favourite bands and I'm also a big FISH fan aswell. So I can't be all that bad! Honest! ;)

allieyoung666
03-07-2005, 20:35
I dont mean to do it, I used to go mad myself! It just happens though

Tuftus
03-07-2005, 20:43
I quit for six months a while ago, then work got me down and depressed... so I started again, I guess it was not my time to quit or I am weak willed, one of the two, probably the latter.

But I will try again, when I am ready.

NEONKNIGHT
03-07-2005, 20:46
I dont mean to do it, I used to go mad myself! It just happens though

Fair enough! And well done for beating the weed by the way, a Better Way of Life ! to coin a phrase ;)

allieyoung666
03-07-2005, 20:49
I have found a better way of life, and I will try and stop the nagging! And check out the web page!

NEONKNIGHT
03-07-2005, 21:00
I have found a better way of life, and I will try and stop the nagging! And check out the web page!

I'm a subscriber (got the car sticker and everything! ;) )

Back to the 'thread' (sounds like a marillion song link!) once I get the nicotine patches, probably some time this week if I pluck up enough courage, I'll be using this thread more and report on all the up's and downs that I'm going through - should help with beating the habit, fingers crossed. :tu:

Angua
03-07-2005, 21:10
<snip>You mention that you 'rant' at people who smoke being an ex-smoker yourself.
That is one of the worst things you can do and one thing that really gets my back-up! :fit: (as it does your work collegues). I don't want to appear rude but ex-smokers pontificating about people smoking are of the worst kind. In fact, that kind of attitude just makes me want to smoke even more!

Don't take offence with my post here but its just my point of view.

;)
Ex smokers pontificating:afire: a big :nono:, my Mum nagging me was one reason I couldn't stop (stress).

Bless Ali though she is a health professional so at least has insider info.

Tezcatlipoca
03-07-2005, 21:18
Ex smokers pontificating:afire: a big :nono:, my Mum nagging me was one reason I couldn't stop (stress).

Yeah. My ex-g/f is an ex-smoker...plus a junior doctor...so I used to get double the nagging.

Bifta
04-07-2005, 14:42
I've spent all morning having awful cravings so decided to get rid of the patch and try some Nicorette gum, fantastic stuff, feel's like I've just smoked a couple of fags!

Nugget
04-07-2005, 14:48
I've decided that my stop date was 19th July (I always said I'd quit before I was 30, so the day before sounds good :D )

I'm planning to just quit (no patches or anything) - the only concession may be to increase my daily intake of Wrigleys :)

Hope it gets better for you Bif - fingers crossed, you'll be sorted by the time I stop :tu:

Angua
04-07-2005, 14:58
When I tried the gum the taste was awful.
I would class you as an action smoker (watch out for the munchies).

Keep at it though https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/10.gif for the rest of today.

Bifta
04-07-2005, 15:19
I've decided that my stop date was 19th July (I always said I'd quit before I was 30, so the day before sounds good :D )

I'm planning to just quit (no patches or anything) - the only concession may be to increase my daily intake of Wrigleys :)

Hope it gets better for you Bif - fingers crossed, you'll be sorted by the time I stop :tu:

Good luck to you, but your cravings will be the same on the 20th of July as they will tomorrow ;) Best to get it out the way then come the 19th you'll wonder why you didn't do it earlier.

Nugget
04-07-2005, 15:40
Good luck to you, but your cravings will be the same on the 20th of July as they will tomorrow ;) Best to get it out the way then come the 19th you'll wonder why you didn't do it earlier.

What can I say? I'm weak ;)

Nah, I've picked the 19th so that I have a target date - the plan is to cut down over the next 2 weeks (I've already practically stopped smoking at home now), so I'm hoping I'll be alright :)

Jon M
04-07-2005, 15:45
Please say the fags aren't the secret source to both of your individual super-powers.
Lets hope Bifta remains as blunt and knowledgable as ever and Nugget as on the ball with the most cringingly awful sense of humour ;) :D

Nugget
04-07-2005, 15:46
Lets hope the fags aren't the source to both of your individual super-powers.
Lets hope Bifta remains as blunt and knowledgable as ever and Nugget as on the ball with the most cringingly awful sense of humour ;) :D

You wanna count yourself lucky you said that before I've given up :disturbd: :p:

Jon M
04-07-2005, 15:48
Yeah, I'd hate to be the butt of any jokes on this subject.

Nugget
04-07-2005, 15:49
Yeah, I'd hate to be the butt of any jokes on this subject.

Don't ... make ... me ... use ... the ... fag ... joke :disturbd:

:p:

Bifta
04-07-2005, 15:57
What can I say? I'm weak ;)

Nah, I've picked the 19th so that I have a target date - the plan is to cut down over the next 2 weeks (I've already practically stopped smoking at home now), so I'm hoping I'll be alright :)

Fair enough, but I wouldn't bother going cold turkey, there's no point suffering more than you actually have to.

Nugget
04-07-2005, 16:02
Fair enough, but I wouldn't bother going cold turkey, there's no point suffering more than you actually have to.

You're probably right but, in all fairness, it'll be everybody else who suffers ;)

Bifta
04-07-2005, 16:03
You're probably right but, in all fairness, it'll be everybody else who suffers ;)

Yeah, but then they'll make your life a misery in turn and you'll want to smoke again ;) try the gum, it works wonders.

Nugget
04-07-2005, 16:15
Yeah, but then they'll make your life a misery in turn and you'll want to smoke again ;) try the gum, it works wonders.

Alright then - I s'pose if I'm giving up smoking, I'll still need some friends :D

Bifta
04-07-2005, 16:31
Alright then - I s'pose if I'm giving up smoking, I'll still need some friends :D

Especially when they realise you'll have a wedge of cash you saved on smoking to buy rounds with

allieyoung666
04-07-2005, 16:34
I have just bought myself a new wardrobe with the money I saved from stopping smoking!

Jules
04-07-2005, 18:05
I tried the gum and it made me throw up

Chimaera
04-07-2005, 18:31
I tried the gum and it made me throw up
Yeah - but it sort of worked - you can't throw up and smoke at the same time! :LOL:

NEONKNIGHT
04-07-2005, 19:59
I've spent all morning having awful cravings so decided to get rid of the patch and try some Nicorette gum, fantastic stuff, feel's like I've just smoked a couple of fags!

Glad that you found something that helps. :) Just a quick question though about the patches - where you using the 24 hour ones and full strength (full strength are for people who smoke around the 15 or more per day) ? I found the 24 hour patches were great, especially when waking up in the morning and that 'first fag of the day' feeling you get when trying to give up.

Angua
04-07-2005, 20:05
Glad that you found something that helps. :) Just a quick question though about the patches - where you using the 24 hour ones and full strength (full strength are for people who smoke around the 15 or more per day) ? I found the 24 hour patches were great, especially when waking up in the morning and that 'first fag of the day' feeling you get when trying to give up.
I thought the 24 hour patches were for "heavy" smokers (those who wake up and grab a ciggy and generally can't go more than half an hour without one):confused:

I smoked around 20 a day but the 16mg patches were fine for me (when I tried the 24 hour ones I got fainting spells).

NEONKNIGHT
04-07-2005, 20:37
I thought the 24 hour patches were for "heavy" smokers (those who wake up and grab a ciggy and generally can't go more than half an hour without one):confused:

I smoked around 20 a day but the 16mg patches were fine for me (when I tried the 24 hour ones I got fainting spells).

These where the ones I had previously:- http://nicodermcq.quit.com/how_nicoderm_can_help.aspx?id=36 or ones like them - they were the 'clear' patches. Suppose like any 'medicine' people can have different reactions to the product.

I'm aiming for next Monday to quit. As Mark Twain (?) said "quitting smoking is easy - I've done it numerous times!!!" :D

marky
04-07-2005, 20:46
My dad tried quitting with the chewing gum he went from 30 cigs a day to 8 gum then acupuncture , hypnosis etc he is now 70

and 60 yrs of habit is hard to break but ROCK ON DAD FOR TRYING:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

Angua
04-07-2005, 20:51
My Mum was 68 when she gave up. Totally cold turkey with 40 cigs left on the mantlepiece arrrrgggghhhhh (no fair).

Tuftus
04-07-2005, 22:50

I found that the gum burned my cheeks and gums, but if it works for you then go at it fella!!!

Ignition
05-07-2005, 09:05
Quit a month ago - coughing up some 'interesting' stuff still now. Nasty thinking that that was inside my lungs at one point!

BTW Years old tar tastes as nasty as the fresh stuff, and to be honest seeing your body cleanse itself is a good advertisement for not smoking.

I went cold turkey as I wanted to be free of nicotine as quickly as possible and just get the withdrawal from it over. Could be said that NRT prolongs the process even though for some it's no doubt easier. Drinking water does help though, keep some handy and sip when required.

Bifta
06-07-2005, 15:09
Day 5 now, I thought the cravings would die down but they were fierce this morning.

Ramrod
06-07-2005, 15:12
Day 5 now, I thought the cravings would die down but they were fierce this morning.You will still sometimes get them months later m8.......

homealone
06-07-2005, 15:12
Day 5 now, I thought the cravings would die down but they were fierce this morning.

if you havn't weakened, by now, you are doing a grand job - don't give in now you are doing so well :tu:

Bifta
06-07-2005, 15:14
I'm probably going to stop the NRT on Friday evening so I can suffer all weekend and not p*ss my boss off on Monday.

danielf
06-07-2005, 15:15
<snip>

I went cold turkey as I wanted to be free of nicotine as quickly as possible and just get the withdrawal from it over. Could be said that NRT prolongs the process even though for some it's no doubt easier. <snip>

That's what I did when I quit (and failed after 6 weeks). I tried patches before, and they do make it easier to not smoke, but you don't actually break the nicotine dependency. You may not smoke for two weeks, but you're still addicted to the nicotine, and you will get cravings if you don't use the patch. At the same time you think 'I haven't smoke for 2 weeks, so I must be allright. Not...

It might work for others though...

monkey2468
06-07-2005, 15:27
I gave up smoking 7 weeks ago. Ive been using the patches, 2 weeks on 21mg, 2 weeks on 14mg, 2 weeks on the 7 mg, and im in the middle of doing two weeks with 7mg patches every other day.

Its not easy, and I still get the urge to light up after a meal, but hopfully that will die down soon.
It probably doesnt help that the wife still smokes though,
Im also not happy, becuse my favorite flavour crisps now taste totally rank!!!:(

Angua
06-07-2005, 15:54
I gave up smoking 7 weeks ago. Ive been using the patches, 2 weeks on 21mg, 2 weeks on 14mg, 2 weeks on the 7 mg, and im in the middle of doing two weeks with 7mg patches every other day.

Its not easy, and I still get the urge to light up after a meal, but hopfully that will die down soon.
Im also not happy, becuse my favorite flavour crisps now taste totally rank!!!:(

Try cutting them in half (worked well for me)!

Bifta
06-07-2005, 15:55
Try cutting them in half (worked well for me)!

i.e. cut HER fags in half ;)

Angua
06-07-2005, 18:46

I meant the patches in half. As for the wife, relegate her to outdoors to smoke. Anyone who visits here and smokes are quite welcome to, I'll even provide an ashtray but they have to go outside.

The after meal one is the toughie (I have no suggestions except to stick it out (I was at 6 weeks stoppage at Xmas and it was hell)) as for crisps I found everything tasted too salty anyway so have cut that right down as well!

Bifta
06-07-2005, 18:50
I meant the patches in half. As for the wife, relegate her to outdoors to smoke. Anyone who visits here and smokes are quite welcome to, I'll even provide an ashtray but they have to go outside.

The after meal one is the toughie (I have no suggestions except to stick it out (I was at 6 weeks stoppage at Xmas and it was hell)) as for crisps I found everything tasted too salty anyway so have cut that right down as well!

I've worked out how to get past the after dinner cravings .. eat until you quite literally feel sick! It's almost like magic

Angua
07-07-2005, 08:24
Heres something you could take up to keep your hands occupied (http://www.boondoggleman.com/look_in_tin.htm)

Jules
07-07-2005, 09:29
I was sad to get an email today from GNER saying that from 29th August this year they are taking away the smoking carriage. They say other passengers were complaining about it...no idea why as all the other carriages were none smoking so what difference did it make to them.

It is becoming so unacceptable to smoke maybe it is time for me to give it a really good go at stopping :(

Angua
11-07-2005, 10:20
Hows it going Bifta and anyone else who is suffering niccotine withdrawal?

Chris
11-07-2005, 11:22
I was sad to get an email today from GNER saying that from 29th August this year they are taking away the smoking carriage. They say other passengers were complaining about it...no idea why as all the other carriages were none smoking so what difference did it make to them.

It is becoming so unacceptable to smoke maybe it is time for me to give it a really good go at stopping :(

My dad visited us at the weekend. He smokes; we don't. He went outside for one on Friday evening and after a few minutes I had to get up and shut the lounge window. He was nowhere near the window, but I often think that smokers don't realise just how far the smell of fags carries - and don't forget, those of us that don't smoke still have a working sense of smell, so we can pick these things up from further away!

Chris W
11-07-2005, 11:54
Haven't smoked since i moved to london :)

9 days and counting! strangely i wasn't craving at all until today though.... urgh.

Bill C
11-07-2005, 11:59

9 days and counting! strangely i wasn't craving at all until today though.... urgh.

Well done keep it up :)

Chris
11-07-2005, 12:00

Presumably that's because you can get your fix of toxic gases just by breathing the air down there ... coff coff ... :D

Jules
11-07-2005, 12:03
My dad visited us at the weekend. He smokes; we don't. He went outside for one on Friday evening and after a few minutes I had to get up and shut the lounge window. He was nowhere near the window, but I often think that smokers don't realise just how far the smell of fags carries - and don't forget, those of us that don't smoke still have a working sense of smell, so we can pick these things up from further away!

I never thought about it like that

Chris W
11-07-2005, 12:05
Presumably that's because you can get your fix of toxic gases just by breathing the air down there ... coff coff ... :D

yep and also because the missus said she doesn't like me smoking!

http://foty.ru/hotdog/images/Imageu.gif

:D

Jules
11-07-2005, 12:27
Well here goes, I have had the patches for about 4 weeks now and I have just put the first one on......I don't know how well I will do as I have smoked since I was 11 but I am going to give it a go :tu:

homealone
11-07-2005, 12:36
I never thought about it like that

it is one of the things I didn't realise, until I gave up - when I smoked I wasn't conciously aware that I smelt of smoke, nor did I notice when other people did. Since I stopped, it is almost like having a volume control turned up on the sense of smell, I am now acutely aware of anyone who has recently had a fag. I must admit I sometimes still enjoy sitting downwind of someone smoking, but I would imagine anyone who has never smoked would find that unpleasant.

Well here goes, I have had the patches for about 4 weeks now and I have just put the first one on......I don't know how well I will do as I have smoked since I was 11 but I am going to give it a go :tu:

good luck, Jules :tu:

Jules
11-07-2005, 12:39
Thanks Gary I have a feeling I am really going to need it lol

Bifta
11-07-2005, 12:54
Hows it going Bifta and anyone else who is suffering niccotine withdrawal?

10 (or is it 11) day's now off the fags, doing fine.

homealone
11-07-2005, 12:59

you are obviously really determined, keep it up, Bifta :tu:

Jules
11-07-2005, 13:27

Keep going Bifta you are doing great :tu:

lilly123
11-07-2005, 13:51
ok im gona make this my last day to smoke all of you who have quitted well done it is a horrible habit and smelly one at that i know there are tablets out there called ziaban duno if that is the right spelling or not but i understand you have to go to your gp and he should refere you to a clinic you then smoke for a week the second week you dont and with the help of these tablets it cuts off the part of your brain that nags you to have a fag i know 2 people who have tried this tablet and it worked for them they have not smoked now for over a year so i guess they must be rolling in it now bank books i say are looking healthy so i am not going to take any tablets just try and see how good my will power is. my boyfriend gave up just over a year now and well done to him as he had a heart attack at the age of 47, smoked an incredable 80 fags a day although he says he still craves mainly after food but he has done well so wel done again to him any way folks i wish you all luck as i hope you wish me luck too i am going to report evey day on my progress hopefully

zing_deleted
11-07-2005, 13:52
Good luck to everyone trying to kick the demon weed ,in a few weeks you will actually be able to taste food again.just hope none of you are eating to much of it ;)

lilly123
11-07-2005, 13:53
oh one more thing was just thinking how many of you can tell me or us what you find that is good in smoking i have thought and i cant find any

zing_deleted
11-07-2005, 13:57
oh one more thing was just thinking how many of you can tell me or us what you find that is good in smoking i have thought and i cant find any
http://health.howstuffworks.com/nicotine.htm

What is it about tobacco that makes people so compelled to use it despite all of the admonitions? Smoking or chewing tobacco makes people feel good, even mildly euphoric. While there are thousands of chemicals in the tobacco plant (not to mention those added by cigarette manufacturers), one, nicotine, produces all the good feelings that draw people back for another cigarette or plug of tobacco. In this article, we'll examine nicotine and how it affects the human body

Gareth
11-07-2005, 14:25
Bought a pack of 10 last night, for the first in absolutely ages. Smoked a couple but they were really disgusting (same brand that I always smoked in the past). Good sign really, I suppose. At least if I get any cravings in the future I'll be able to remember that the last ones I smoked tasted really bad.

Angua
11-07-2005, 14:54
Niccotine one of the most immediately addictive substances known!

Well done Lilly123. Having smoked for over 30 years myself I know its tough but you will succeed https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/10.gif.

lilly123
12-07-2005, 11:39
;) well had my last ciggarette last night at about 11.30 made sure that before i went to bed i gave my teeth and tongue a extra scrub, didnt have a good night not anything to do with the smoking, got up at 6 this morning hahahah went to grab a giggy and then i remembered anyway it is 11 40 now so i have now not had a giggy for 12 hours so see how the rest of the day goes :dozey:

Damien
12-07-2005, 12:05
I have known people to smoke all their lifes who have succesfully given up. I never smoked myself so have no idea of how diffcult it must be, they only thing I can say is those who have given up feel much much healther from only about a month after stopping, and they still say they are getting better and better :)

Jules
12-07-2005, 13:26
Ok so i failed :( I managed 4 hours then had to take the patch off as it seems I am allergic to them, I should have known as I am also allergic to plasters.

Any way I am going to go for the cutting down method with a timer and see how I do :)

Angua
12-07-2005, 15:31
Ok so i failed :( I managed 4 hours then had to take the patch off as it seems I am allergic to them, I should have known as I am also allergic to plasters.

Any way I am going to go for the cutting down method with a timer and see how I do :)
Worth checking with your local health centre as they may be able to suggest an alternative patch or you could try the gum.

Jules
12-07-2005, 17:04
Tried the gum and it made me throw up :(

Angua
12-07-2005, 17:32
Tried the gum and it made me throw up :(

Yeah it is pretty vile (like chewing a wet ashtray with beer mats in).

They are supposed to have improved it recently though.

Bifta
12-07-2005, 19:05
Yeah it is pretty vile (like chewing a wet ashtray with beer mats in).

They are supposed to have improved it recently though.

They have, Nicorette is the most palatable, Niquitin is bloody awful, it's supposed to be mint flavoured but it's like someone's chewed all the mint flavour out of it.

danielf
12-07-2005, 19:30
They have, Nicorette is the most palatable, Niquitin is bloody awful, it's supposed to be mint flavoured but it's like someone's chewed all the mint flavour out of it.

I suppose that is a good thing in a way. Otherwise you might end up addicted to nicotine gum.

Raistlin
12-07-2005, 19:37
Just remember that no matter how bad the gum tastes it can't possibly taste worse than a cigarette. Just take yourself back now to the first time you had one.....

Remember how foul it tasted? Remember how much you coughed and felt sick (that was your body trying to reject it)? Remember how much effort you had to put in to actually being able to bear the nasty, stinky things?

Hold on to that thought when you're worried about how nasty the gum is, it'll help.

Oh, and it is possible to get addicted to the gum - it does contain niccotine after all.....

Chris W
13-07-2005, 17:24
bleugh. the gum tastes 1000 times worse than cigarettes....

i fell off the wagon today and had a cigarette :( don't really fancy another one though so hopefully it was just a glitch rather than a failing!

zing_deleted
13-07-2005, 18:11

i fell off the wagon today and had a cigarette :( don't really fancy another one though so hopefully it was just a glitch rather than a failing!

Do not whatever you do get pi**ed at yourself over it dude,just take it as one of them no biggie :)

Richard M
16-07-2005, 19:27
I thought I'd posted in this thread since getting back but obviously not.
I gave up smoking on Monday, and have had very strong urges when I've been out in the night but have kept it together so far.
Away from work on holiday is the best time by far to quit.

bayonet
16-07-2005, 19:57
Bifta well done mate hope you succeed I gave up about 4 years ago went to a hypnotherapist and haven't had the urge to smoke since.

There have been times when I have felt like a cigar especially towards the end of last year when there were some family issues going on. As I tell the present Mrs Bayonet unless you've been a smoker it's hard to describe trying to quit or even enjoying that first fag or cigar in the morning.

The money thing does come into it but the health side of it is the big bonus. My dad smoked 60 a day and died at 50 due to a ruptured aorta damaged over the years by smoking. Here's a sobering thought he never lived long enough to see his grandchildren my son and daughter are 25 and 22, my sister's boys are 15 and 13 and my brother's daughter is 4 (he was a late starter) so there are other benefits as well. I'm 51 and feel better now than at any time since giving up. I know all the arguments about "my mate never smoked in his life and died young" but those arguments are few and far between. There will be a weight gain, I gained a few stone but have now lost it and am down to a svelt 14 stone. Stick with it Bifta you know it makes sense

Bill C
16-07-2005, 21:20
I gave up smoking on Monday, and have had very strong urges when I've been out in the night but have kept it together so far.

:tu: Keep it up, It does get easier

Maggy
16-07-2005, 22:20
When my sister decided to quit she too decided to see a hypnotherapist.Straight after seeing him, she went out and bought a guitar. :rofl:

I think she tried acupuncture after that but I don't think that worked either.In the end she just did it cold turkey(in the days before patches were so freely available over the counter).I think it was the hardest thing she has ever done.

homealone
16-07-2005, 22:47
:tu: Keep it up, It does get easier

agreed - it never really goes away, either, in my experience - but, just the benefit of having lungs that work so much better is worth it, for me. :tu:

Bifta
17-07-2005, 01:19

Good work that man, first week is a b*tch and very little helps, it's just being determined enough to see it through to the second week where the gum seems to help out enormously. I've been off them 2 weeks and 1 day now and the cravings have almost stopped (still need gum first thing in the morning) the habit of wanting to smoke seems to have gone too.

Nicorette mint is lush! The Niquitin stuff tastes like you're licking a badgers rear end however (cue: obvious "how do you know?" remarks)

Richard M
25-07-2005, 23:18
I tell you what, listening to music tests your mental strength to its limit.
If I'm playing a decent 3D game by myself or with the clan I'm fine - I won't even think about smoking, I'll just be thinking about headshotting that ****er when I respawn.

The killer is when I'm sitting there when I'd usually be sparking up, like listening to music as I am now.
I'm glad I'm not though, there are no shops nearby that sell fags thank god.
Jesus this is hard, at least I'm nearly through the hard part.

I don't think it helped that I could only afford to buy 15mg patches this week instead of 21mg which is what I should be having. :(

Angua
25-07-2005, 23:28
I tell you what, listening to music tests your mental strength to its limit.
If I'm playing a decent 3D game by myself or with the clan I'm fine - I won't even think about smoking, I'll just be thinking about headshotting that ****er when I respawn.

The killer is when I'm sitting there when I'd usually be sparking up, like listening to music as I am now.
I'm glad I'm not though, there are no shops nearby that sell fags thank god.
Jesus this is hard, at least I'm nearly through the hard part.

I don't think it helped that I could only afford to buy 15mg patches this week instead of 21mg which is what I should be having. :(

You can do ithttp://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Stop.gif (you have come this far after all and well done for that)Download Failed (1)

Richard M
25-07-2005, 23:35
More importantly - how is our Bifta doing?

Nugget
26-07-2005, 09:03
Well, I had my last fag on my birthday (at approximately 10 o'clock while I was in the boozer ;) ), and haven't had one since.

TBH, I don't feel as if I've missed them so, touch wood, everything's going fine at almost a week :)

Bifta
26-07-2005, 10:07
More importantly - how is our Bifta doing?

Grand, 3 weeks, 4 day's now :D

Angua
26-07-2005, 10:12
:cleader::cleader::cleader:Brilliant going (one word of caution you may come up against another small craving period soon! Hang in there!)Download Failed (1)

zing_deleted
26-07-2005, 10:17
Well done guys. Think of all the cash you can save for say a Dual Core cpu and crossfire mobo (specially aimed at Richard) .

You should all treat yourselves to something with the saved cash something expensive and unnessarsary

Richard M
26-07-2005, 10:23
Yeah, computer parts next month or maybe a couple of Russian brides. ;) :D
Last time I checked it was costing me about £200 a month but it was probably a bit more recently.

zing_deleted
26-07-2005, 10:30
Yeah, computer parts next month or maybe a couple of Russian brides. ;) :D
Last time I checked it was costing me about £200 a month but it was probably a bit more recently.

Thats one hell of a saving over the year,will pay your pc loan off and buy you a horde of hard drives ;)

Its total income of someone on the dole near as damn it

Bifta
26-07-2005, 12:29
:cleader::cleader::cleader:Brilliant going (one word of caution you may come up against another small craving period soon! Hang in there!)Download Failed (1)

That appears to be this week, everyone said the 3rd week was the hardest but for me it wasn't, yesterday was tricky, today is worse.

Angua
26-07-2005, 13:12
That appears to be this week, everyone said the 3rd week was the hardest but for me it wasn't, yesterday was tricky, today is worse.

If you get through this one (which I am sure you will) there will be some respite for about a month if not two! https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/10.gif

Richard M
28-07-2005, 23:55
F*** F*** F***!!!
I've had a relapse. :(

I don't know why but I suddenly got in a very bad mood so went over to Asda and bought 10 Richmond. :mad:
The first one I smoked was like the first fag I ever had when I was 14, it didn't seem like a regular smoke at all and I did not enjoy it. :(

I really know now that I can't smoke anymore.

Angua
29-07-2005, 09:18
F*** F*** F***!!!

I don't know why but I suddenly got in a very bad mood so went over to Asda and bought 10 Richmond. :mad:
The first one I smoked was like the first fag I ever had when I was 14, it didn't seem like a regular smoke at all and I did not enjoy it. :(

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/10.gif That is your only relapse.
I only have to breathe in next to someone who is smoking to be reminded how vile it tastes (it took me a year to get to that stage though).

What have you done with the other 9 ciggies?

Richard M
29-07-2005, 09:23
Ha, you mean the other 4 left?
Unfortunately I've also ran out of patches so will have to smoke until I can get down to Boots.

Bifta
29-07-2005, 09:23
F*** F*** F***!!!

Not only did you relapse, you relapsed on cheap sh*tty fags!

4th week off them for me now!

Angua
29-07-2005, 09:50
Unfortunately I've also ran out of patches so will have to smoke until I can get down to Boots.

You don't "have" to do anything

zing_deleted
29-07-2005, 10:23

Throw them away a think what a pratt I am,do not dwell on it do not buy anymore.You can do it and you will do it if you trully want to

orangebird
29-07-2005, 11:04
Throw them away a think what a pratt I am,do not dwell on it do not buy anymore.You can do it and you will do it if you trully want to

I wouldn't throw them away. Keep them at home. Next time you feel the urge, tell yourself that you can have a ciggie if you want, but also have the choice not to. If there's none at home, you'll always feel the urge to go to the shop and buy some like you did.

Jules
29-07-2005, 12:19

Come on Richard you can do it don't be weakwilled and useless like I was :(

Don't smoke any more of them or you are going to be back at stage one again

Jules
03-08-2005, 14:34
For any one that is weakening, this makes you think doesn't it

http://bestsmileys.com/smoking/1.gif

Angua
03-08-2005, 15:14
By the way Bifta et al. Hows it going?
Are you still eating the bananas?

Bifta
03-08-2005, 15:51
Off banana's now, I'm addicted to tea now, at least 20 cups a day. Started building a mountain bike from scratch with the money I'm saving, should be ready for next may for the princely sum of nearly £1300.

homealone
03-08-2005, 15:58
Off banana's now, I'm addicted to tea now, at least 20 cups a day. Started building a mountain bike from scratch with the money I'm saving, should be ready for next may for the princely sum of nearly £1300.

well done, Bifta, keep it up - that is going to be an ace bike, by the sounds of it :tu:

NEONKNIGHT
22-08-2005, 22:02
I'm on my second day now without a cigarette. :( Using the patches which help the crave (a bit). Why I have packed them in, is not just for health reasons, but because as you'll all probably know, the Xbox360 is out November and I've just got to have one ! Something had to give to justify spending so much money on a games console + games while trying to balance the family budget. Needed to set myself a goal. Still feel guilty though but shouldn't really, as I'd still be out there wasting my money on fags. :(

:( :( :(

homealone
22-08-2005, 22:53
I'm on my second day now without a cigarette. :( Using the patches which help the crave (a bit). Why I have packed them in, is not just for health reasons, but because as you'll all probably know, the Xbox360 is out November and I've just got to have one ! Something had to give to justify spending so much money on a games console + games while trying to balance the family budget. Needed to set myself a goal. Still feel guilty though but shouldn't really, as I'd still be out there wasting my money on fags. :(

:( :( :(

good idea to set yourself a goal :tu:

forget patches - cold turkey is the only way, in my opinion - I have weakened, but can honestly say I have had less than 10 fags in the past year.

I feel I can put 'non smoker' on my CV, now :)

budwieser
22-08-2005, 22:55
A big Big UP to all you guys and Girls who have kicked the weed.....................

I wish i was as strong as you.:( :dozey: :dozey: :dozey: :( :(

Angua
22-08-2005, 22:57
good idea to set yourself a goal :tu:

forget patches - cold turkey is the only way, in my opinion - I have weakened, but can honestly say I have had less than 10 fags in the past year.

I feel I can put 'non smoker' on my CV, now :)

Good for both of you. BTW I would never have succeeded without the patches (will be 2 years November since I stopped, still trying to get the weight gained off though)

Don't forget the insurance companies need one full clear smoke free year and any health related insurances should go down in cost!:tu:

Bifta
22-08-2005, 23:00
I can't work out if it's my 7th or 8th week off the fags now, think it's my 8th, I don't even think about them anymore let alone have cravings, I still don't have my sense of smell or full sense of taste back yet.

NEONKNIGHT
22-08-2005, 23:05
Good for both of you. BTW I would never have succeeded without the patches

Thanks ;) And the very best of luck to everyone giving up the weed. Its not easy but can be done !

Have to agree with you Angua, the (24 hour) patches just take that edge off the withdrawl symptoms. Going from 20 a day to none is difficult enough, I'm following the complete course with the patches this time around. I think they are great and would recommend them. :)

Angua
03-09-2005, 22:15
How's everyone who is trying to stop doing@?:

NEONKNIGHT
04-09-2005, 10:32
How's everyone who is trying to stop doing@?:

Going into my third week without a fag. Using the patches, which really help, so far so good. ;)

cara08
04-09-2005, 10:45
i gave up for almost a year then started again during a stressful time, now i`m afraid i`m hooked again.

Angua
04-09-2005, 10:56
:hugs: well done neon, keep it up, those patches are a life saver!

Nidge
04-09-2005, 11:59
Well I still smoke, I play football 3 times a week, go to the Gym 4 times a week, go running once a week. I do 10+ a day and have been doing for the last 20 odd years. I recently had a lung function test at the doctors, I passed with flying colours, most of the lads I play football with smoke and have been doing for years, if you like a smoke then whats the problem? There's nothing better than a coffee and a ciggie in the morning.

:hugs: well done neon, keep it up, those patches are a life saver!

Them patches are ok but I was on 20 a day :D :D :D :D

NEONKNIGHT
21-10-2005, 23:10
Still not smoking..... how's everyone else doing ?

:angel:

timewarrior2001
21-10-2005, 23:14

TIA

I was on 40 a day, I just stopped.
I know thats not what you wanted to hear, but if you are in the right frame of mind and really want to do it, you will succeed.
I didnt find the patches helped, nor the inhaler things.
I occasionally smoke a cigar, but normally only once in a few months so I havent fully quit, but I do not touch cigarettes full stop.

The first two weeks is hell, after that it gets easier. I still find myself having cravings but they can be controlled.

homealone
21-10-2005, 23:16
well over a year now, despite what marina might say, Rothmans aren't real fags, anyway, are they??? ;)

NEONKNIGHT
21-10-2005, 23:21
I was on 40 a day, I just stopped.
I know thats not what you wanted to hear, but if you are in the right frame of mind and really want to do it, you will succeed.
I didnt find the patches helped, nor the inhaler things.
I occasionally smoke a cigar, but normally only once in a few months so I havent fully quit, but I do not touch cigarettes full stop.

The first two weeks is hell, after that it gets easier. I still find myself having cravings but they can be controlled.

I've found the patches to be very helpful myself. Couldn't have done it otherwise and that's the truth. :tu:

well over a year now, despite what marina might say, Rothmans aren't real fags, anyway, are they??? ;)

Rothams? Eeeek, spit! But they are cigarettes though, no gold star for you then!!!!!! :(

;)

Bill C
21-10-2005, 23:35

Its been a year and a half for me. I can honestly say i have not had a single one since i stopped. I hope you all have the same success :tu:.

Method for me was zyban. :)

Pia
21-10-2005, 23:48
Check my thread from back in April, there was a LOT of inspiring stuff on there..

Unfortunately i just didn't *want* to stop enough to keep it up!

Good luck and well done to all who have stopped!

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=27155&page=1&pp=15

andygrif
22-10-2005, 01:13

Well done you! I'm still clean after nearly ten months...not a single fag since January.

Cold turkey was my method.

Graham M
19-05-2006, 08:21
6 Month Old thread, I know,but I didn't see any point in starting a new one.

I've been cigarette free for almost 48 hours and im determined to go on, trouble is my body is throwing out all the rubbish of a couple of years and i'm feeling lousy, coughing up a lot of *****. I was wondering, what did you lot do to cope?

STONEISLAND
19-05-2006, 08:49

I've been cigarette free for almost 48 hours and im determined to go on, trouble is my body is throwing out all the rubbish of a couple of years and i'm feeling lousy, coughing up a lot of *****. I was wondering, what did you lot do to cope?

I have now given up smoking since November had about 2 in that time both made me feel poorly.

The only problem now is that I'm hooked on Nicoratte Gum!!!!! Still on them. :(

Tinky
19-05-2006, 10:13
The best favour you could ever do for your body's health is to give up smoking. I do not say this lightly, I was forced to go 'cold turkey' when I was diagnosed as being on the verge of a major stroke, the carotid arteries in my neck were blocked (due I am told by smoking) I was lucky to have been admitted throught the emergency dept and had an operation on my neck 4 days later. A friend told me his brother was sent home to wait for an appointment for the same operation, but in the meantime he had a massive stroke from which he has still not fully recovered. I used to smoke 20+ cigs a day for 38years, I have stopped now for 10years. Giving up was the hardest thing I ever had to do, don't let other people tell you different, to this day, now and again, I get the urge for a puff. Someone once told me it takes 7 minutes to smoke a cig, so when you get the urge, keep yourself busy and the urge will wear off. My son tried inhalers, prescribed by the Doctor, they worked. I admire you for your efforts, and I am rooting for your success. Please persevere it is most defintely worth it!

homealone
19-05-2006, 10:49

Keep it up, Zeph, it definitely is worth it, it will be 2 years for me, come August, and I feel so much better for it. My blood pressure has come down & I can breathe much easier.

I found when the craving was at its worst, that distracting myself with something helped. It really does get psychological after a couple of days, as the actual nicotine addiction has gone, it is just the habit you have to break, then. As I used to 'roll my own', I found I missed having something to do with my hands & just silly things like twiddling a pencil would help break the 'ritual' of making & smoking a fag.

---------- Post added at 10:49 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

The best favour you could ever do for your body's health is to give up smoking. I do not say this lightly, I was forced to go 'cold turkey' when I was diagnosed as being on the verge of a major stroke, the carotid arteries in my neck were blocked (due I am told by smoking) I was lucky to have been admitted throught the emergency dept and had an operation on my neck 4 days later. A friend told me his brother was sent home to wait for an appointment for the same operation, but in the meantime he had a massive stroke from which he has still not fully recovered. I used to smoke 20+ cigs a day for 38years, I have stopped now for 10years. Giving up was the hardest thing I ever had to do, don't let other people tell you different, to this day, now and again, I get the urge for a puff. Someone once told me it takes 7 minutes to smoke a cig, so when you get the urge, keep yourself busy and the urge will wear off. My son tried inhalers, prescribed by the Doctor, they worked. I admire you for your efforts, and I am rooting for your success. Please persevere it is most defintely worth it!

Hi Tinky :welcome:

I like the '7 minute' idea, and as I said to Zeph ^^^, I found distracting myself, when the craving was worst, really did help.

Jules
19-05-2006, 12:13
I am going to have to try again, I have the gum and the inhalers so that I can try both and see which is the best, strange but to me stopping is a scarey thing to do :(

James Henry
19-05-2006, 12:16
Think about that **** that you are coughing up being inside your lungs, and that you are breathing through that stuff. A little pic here of a smoker's lungs and a non-smoker's. Wonder which works best.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson26a.jpg

When you're done with that think about the fatty deposits that smoking causes inside your arteries.

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksJBlood.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2004/03/30/nsmoke30.jpeg

Cigarette free for 6 months so far I'm pleased to say.

Oh and here's something that nicely rolls it all together: http://www.fitchicago.com/warning.html

Angua
19-05-2006, 12:21
A corny cliche for everyone.
Don't give up giving up.

Every ciggy you don't smoke is a bonus for your health 2 1/2 years for me and I couldn't imagine going back now (just hacked off with the extra weight but now I just shrug off a cold and no longer get out of breath just walking up a few stairs makes my knees ache but I am not out of breath :D :rofl: )

Well done one and all :cleader:

homealone
19-05-2006, 12:28
I am going to have to try again, I have the gum and the inhalers so that I can try both and see which is the best, strange but to me stopping is a scarey thing to do :(

Go for it, Jules :tu:

I think I understand about the 'scarey' bit, not only does smoking kind of define who you are, but you also get lots of 'toys', the fags themselves & the ritual of unwrapping the packet, the lighter & filling it etc - and it is like, 'what am I going to do now?'

I found the habit harder to lose than the addiction - to the point where weeks after I gave up I would, absent mindedly, pick up some fag papers & start looking for my baccy, before I realised what I was doing. :dozey:

Graham M
19-05-2006, 17:49
thanks for the kind words guys and the useful hints :) i'm getting my brain nagging me telling me go on, have another, but i'm endeavouring to ignore it. :D

Enuff
19-05-2006, 18:21
I've been there a few times, and i've seen so many people who I thought had it in them to stick with it, but just when they were doing real well, they start again :( I think it would be easier to give up heroin! all I can say is keep up the fight, it really does get better, honest. :tu: see my post (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=614099&postcount=97)

__spc__
19-05-2006, 20:59

TIA

Just quit. And you only do this when you're mentally ready. I had flu once, went to a wedding, drank & smoked LOADS. Next day, had one smoke on the way home - swore there and then, NO more! That was it.

Well, sort of. I would go a few weeks, maybe a month, then lapse, buy a pack, smoke ONE, then chuck the pack in a fit of self-loathing for being weak and feeble.

After a while, BEFORE giving in and having that smoke, I could picture how I would feel IF I had that smoke; pretty soon, that feeling was enough to get me over the craving.

That was 6 years ago...

Good luck!

bayonet
19-05-2006, 21:15
I went the hypnosis route to give up and haven't smoked for 4 years but I have been close to lapsing but that was more due to some family issues that have happened over the last 2 years.

But my blood pressure is coming down I've lost the couple of stone I put on when I gave up and I got through the family crisis without going back to smoking. I don't knock people who can't give because unless you've been a smoker then non smokers don't know how hard it is to give up.

Just think of the benefits after you give up, you may feel like crap now but give it a few months and you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.