PDA

View Full Version : Update the MAC address of your new adaptor

oikulj
02-07-2005, 14:32
you won't be able to get online when you use another network adaptor to connect to your cable modem as ntl stores the mac address of your original adaptor on its dhcp server. i have seen people saying that they need to call ntl to notify the change in mac address. actually you can change the mac address yourself without bothering ntlers.

you need win2k/xp/2k3 to do this (think linux or mac can also do it but not sure what the command is. anybody?). after installing the new network adaptor go to its hardware properties (for example via the device manager) and go to the advanced tab. then select the item called 'Local Administered Address' on the left list and write the original mac address in the 'value' field on the right, like '0123456789ab' and then click ok. not too sure whether restarting is necessary, probably not. do 'ipconfig' in command console and you see that the mac address has been changed to the orignal one!

Stuart
02-07-2005, 14:43
Erm, I am pretty sure you don't need to do this.. All you need to do is power down then power up the modem. When you next connect to the Internet, you may be asked to register your pc again..

Tezcatlipoca
02-07-2005, 15:07
:welcome:

As scastle said, there's no need to change MAC address.

If you connect a different network adaptor to your cable modem, all you should have to do is power cycle the modem.

If you use an STB rather than a standalone cable modem (SACM), then you need to register the MAC with ntl (very quick & easy).

BarFly
02-07-2005, 15:33
Also if you use the STB & follow these instructions, youl spend more time trying to provision your pc & new mac addy's than you will be online. ;)

Just leave your mac address alone & reboot the pc / Cm / STB in the long run it will be easier for you.

the only reason your going to want to play with mac addresses is when spoofing a mac onto a router, or your trying to do something you really shouldnt be doing...

Barfly

davebrad4d
03-07-2005, 12:32
I am sure i 'shouldnt be doing' it, but what if i had 2 pcs and wanted to switch the connection between them? I don't want to buy a router (and don't know what to do with it if i had one). So can I give the 2 PCs the same MAC address? (They are never on the same network at the same time).

Stuart
03-07-2005, 14:08
You could. However a router would enable you to do the same thing with far less trouble. Why don't you want one?

Tezcatlipoca
03-07-2005, 14:12
I am sure i 'shouldnt be doing' it, but what if i had 2 pcs and wanted to switch the connection between them? I don't want to buy a router (and don't know what to do with it if i had one). So can I give the 2 PCs the same MAC address? (They are never on the same network at the same time).

But you wouldn't need to give the two PCs the same MAC address to do that - all that would be required is to power cycle (reboot) the modem when changing from one PC to another.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/swap.html

However, as scastle said, a router would make it a lot easier. No need to swap leads, no need to reboot the modem. And they are *very* easy to set up & use.

dragon
04-07-2005, 21:34
Also if you use the STB & follow these instructions, youl spend more time trying to provision your pc & new mac addy's than you will be online. ;)

Just leave your mac address alone & reboot the pc / Cm / STB in the long run it will be easier for you.

the only reason your going to want to play with mac addresses is when spoofing a mac onto a router, or your trying to do something you really shouldnt be doing...

Barfly

i've got my mac spoofed on my desktop pc i found it was faster to do that than to get my dad to update the allowed mac addresses list on the router :Yikes: still keep meaning to tell him the pcs real mac so i can take the spoofing off.

davebrad4d
04-07-2005, 21:39
You could. However a router would enable you to do the same thing with far less trouble. Why don't you want one?

"With NTL digital TV set top boxes, if you change the connected device, then after the power off and on again, you need to register the new client MAC: see First connection to Pace set top box (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html#pacereg)."

The real point here is simple. I have a home PC which i use 90% of the time, i also have a work laptop which i would like to use the other 10%. I have a VPN connection to the office, however when connected it always states "limited or no service". I assume to fix it i can a) reboot the settop box and b) register the new client. What i really would like is to set my home PC to share the same address as the work one, then i can just switch them without the hassle.

As for Routers, i really don't understand them. Is it as simple as "plug set top box into router, then plug home and work PC into router and bingo"?

dragon
04-07-2005, 21:46
As for Routers, i really don't understand them. Is it as simple as "plug set top box into router, then plug home and work PC into router and bingo"?

if its a wired cable router then basicly yep thats about it. you might want to login to it and set a password on it but thats about it

if its wireless router just set some security settings on the wireless and its good to go, most decent brands come with an easy setup guide.