PDA

View Full Version : ping goes mad

Magoo
02-07-2005, 01:11
:Yikes: does anybody have any idea on what this problem is plz,:Yikes:

in the last 4wks or so my ping jumps from 15/20(normal) to 120+ sometimes 600 while playing online games, it happens so quick that it gives me lag going from 15 too 130+ and then back, then settles for a while then starts again, I've be using the same server for over a year and never had this problem,
also have been on many others and its the same all over, ntl tech say theres nothing wrong, which is true in there eyes, coz the tests they run are ok, and the d/l speed is fine stays at 3mb, but unless you play online its hard for them to understand what I'm on about. so this is what I've tried already, virus check, registry clean, firewall on/off, fresh install off every think from windows to games, phone ntl tech, and so on still get the same problem, its a modem with ethernet connection too pc ethernet,
thx for any help :confused:

jonifen
02-07-2005, 08:10
best thing to do first of all is to action a traceroute to some main websites like www.ntlworld.com (http://www.ntlworld.com) and www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk) and see how the results come out from there. Also action some ping tests to the same places and also some game servers if you wish to see if the same inconsistent pings are coming through there too.

Paul K
02-07-2005, 10:02
Maybe the game server is a little overloaded now? Does the ping spike happen no matter what time of day you try to play on the server?

Magoo
02-07-2005, 12:48
it happens anytime off the day more so in the day, the funny thing is, it all started when i sent my set top box back even tho i have modem for net, also when i speak too the technical support in India they say there is a problem and then say goodbye, is this standard for when they don't know what is going on and the script they read cant help them, speak too someone from ntl in uk they say everything is ok, never had this problem with ntl in the past for over a year its run great, but seems all good things come to an end,

Ignition
02-07-2005, 13:52
PM me your IP address.