PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] All 24Mb DSL Discussions.

TheBlueRaja
04-04-2005, 17:30
Easynet plans ADSL2+ services 12:10PM
Easynet plans to introduce ADSL2+ services up to 24Mbps later this year, following the completion of imminent trials.

The local loop unbundler currently offers up to 8Mbps lines to ISPs - notably UK Online which has an 8Mbps residential broadband product - pushing ADSL technology to its limits. However the LLU kit that has installed at BT exchanges is also equipped with ADSL2+, smoothing any upgrade path.

Easynet has kit in 240 exchanges serving around 4.4 million homes and 700,000 businesses. Its ADSL2+ trials will run concurrent with BT's; some BT employees are currently testing lines running up to 18Mbps, although there is no news yet of a public trial.

Consequently there is now the genuine possibility of DSL services above and beyond 10Mbps being widely available before the end of 2005 and of the UK setting the broadband pace in Europe.

:drool:
Source (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/71127/easynet-plans-adsl2-services.html)

paulyoung666
04-04-2005, 17:34
me wonders if ntl will play catch up to this :erm: :D :D

TheBlueRaja
04-04-2005, 17:39
NTL are already trialling ADSL2+ in London apparently and are testing it to provide HDTV as well.

Yikes..!

punky
04-04-2005, 17:54
Sweet...

I wonder when we are going to have a postcode checker...

zing_deleted
12-04-2005, 10:54
If they mess up the introduction of adsl2 then they could put on hold possibly indeffinatly vdsl which in real terms is where we want to be

Ignition
13-04-2005, 10:55
The 24Mbps is as far as I was aware solely being tested for HDTV on demand puposes, not as an internet connection for residential customers.

It'd make the HFC / CMTS network redundant which is commercially stupid considering there are over 500 CMTSes along with their supporting structure out there, muchos moolah invested.

ian@huth
13-04-2005, 11:49
The 24Mbps is as far as I was aware solely being tested for HDTV on demand puposes, not as an internet connection for residential customers.

It'd make the HFC / CMTS network redundant which is commercially stupid considering there are over 500 CMTSes along with their supporting structure out there, muchos moolah invested.Current infrastructure and the cost of providing it is of no significance. Technological advancement comes along by replacing out of date methods by new state of the art methods. What has to be considered is the cost of implementing new methods of supplying services, timescale involved, ease of changeover, commercial advantage gained and amortisation period.

What is best to own, $billion of out of date infrastructure that no one wants to use because they can get better services elsewhere at lower cost or $billion of state of the art infrastructure that provides a significantly better and cheaper service than any of its competitors? I'm not saying that current NTL infrastructure is out of date or that nobody wants it but I am sure you get the drift of what I am saying. There will come a time when NTL has to reassess how it provides its services and and write off a lot of the current infrastructure. Available finance is the key to when that will be.

jrhnewark
15-04-2005, 08:12
Me want!

NTL are playing catch-up, and will continue (at least with their on-net services).

24Mbps, 30GB monthly cap. Err. :D

Paul
15-04-2005, 08:18
Hmmm, how often will you actually get close to 24Mbps .....

jrhnewark
15-04-2005, 08:26
Hmmm, how often will you actually get close to 24Mbps .....That'd depend on whether hosting providers can keep up, otherwise it's damn futile! :disturbd:

Neil
01-07-2005, 08:54
Net users in London are to be offered broadband at speeds up to 24 meg as part of ambitious plans by a new UK ISP.

Privately funded Be Unlimited (http://www.bethere.co.uk/) is a new local loop unbundling (LLU) operator that is installing its kit in BT telephone exchanges to provide broadband direct to end users.

Forty five exchanges in London have been earmarked by Be initially, although it has agressive plans to unbundle many more exchanges around the UK.

Here we go......

Nidge
01-07-2005, 10:15
Here we go......
Sounds good to me does that, NTL are trailing in the shadows at the moment.

Paul
01-07-2005, 10:24
"upto 24M" - i.e if you live on top of the exchange.

"agressive plans to unbundle" - anyone can have plans.

No price indications at all, but you can bet the top service will have a top price, and most of the time you won't get 24M anyway - the far end servers won't support it.

"NTL are trailing in the shadows at the moment" - to pie in the sky minority products like this, maybe - but few want it, even less will get it. I don't think ntl are going to worry about it. :)

Ignition
01-07-2005, 10:25
Shame ADSL2+ isn't approved for use in the UK yet, although it will be happening in the not too distant future, and that Easynet / UKOnline will be changing over to 2+ as soon as they can.

Will be interesting to see if they can really progress against the already established companies Easynet and Bulldog.

EDIT: That said their management team is very good, 3 directors with degrees from MIT, various staff from Swedish ISP BoStream.

http://www.bethere.co.uk/our_team.html

SMHarman
01-07-2005, 10:31
"upto 24M" - i.e if you live on top of the exchange.

"agressive plans to unbundle" - anyone can have plans.

Couldn't agree more.

No price indications at all, but you can bet the top service will have a top price, and most of the time you won't get 24M anyway - the far end servers won't support it.

"NTL are trailing in the shadows at the moment" - to pie in the sky minority products like this, maybe - but few want it, even less will get it. I don't think ntl are going to worry about it. :)

Indeed NTL can offer 3Mb to any home on net. Telewest is now offering 4Mb to any home on net (I think).

BT Broadband will now run at 2 Meg. If phone lines won't support the new higher rates, then BT says it will "offer the best speed available for your line".

So not much of a guarantee there then. This new company will be using the same copper last mile or 7 which is where the limitation of ADSL lies.

Ignition
01-07-2005, 10:46
Indeed NTL can offer 3Mb to any home on net.

People in bits of London and Southampton amongst others may take exception to that.

You're aware that LLU operators can do something called sub-loop unbundling, placing their own equipment inside / near BT street cabinets to reduce the length of the copper loop to premises?

Fair play to this company for appearing to want to take the same approach that BoStream did in Sweden, hope it works for them and results in faster, better services for all.

SMHarman
01-07-2005, 11:14
Fair points, any company has to start somewhere, I hope they are sufficiently capitalised to aggressivly roll out.
I was not aware of the sub loop unbundling, but then again my ADSL line is in line of sight to the exchange and not yet upgraded to 2Mb i would complain more about ADSL speed and service than NTL (though that is still 750k in my area also).

Stuart
01-07-2005, 11:15
I'll reserve judgement until I have more details (particularly *what* exchanges they are planning to unbundle, and what the prices will be), but the team behind it are made up of members of the team behind BoStream, so they have a proven track record..

Whatever, it will shake up the market, and that is nearly always a good thing..

Halcyon
01-07-2005, 11:36
24mb !!! I'l believe it when I see it.
Its good that people are finally standing out from the 1mb or 2mb speeds occupying the market at them moment and trying something different. Not too sure I want to know how much that will cost !
So will this mean that ADSL is going to be taking over cable for speed in the future ?

Neil
01-07-2005, 14:20
Easynet plans ADSL2+ services 12:10PM
Easynet plans to introduce ADSL2+ services up to 24Mbps later this year, following the completion of imminent trials.

The local loop unbundler currently offers up to 8Mbps lines to ISPs - notably UK Online which has an 8Mbps residential broadband product - pushing ADSL technology to its limits. However the LLU kit that has installed at BT exchanges is also equipped with ADSL2+, smoothing any upgrade path.

Easynet has kit in 240 exchanges serving around 4.4 million homes and 700,000 businesses. Its ADSL2+ trials will run concurrent with BT's; some BT employees are currently testing lines running up to 18Mbps, although there is no news yet of a public trial.

Consequently there is now the genuine possibility of DSL services above and beyond 10Mbps being widely available before the end of 2005 and of the UK setting the broadband pace in Europe.

:drool:
Source (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/71127/easynet-plans-adsl2-services.html)

Easynet is upping its investment in local loop unbundling (LLU) following BT's recent announcement that it intends to give wholesale broadband competition a chance to thrive.

Easynet plans to unbundle a further 100 exchanges taking the total number of LLU sites to 350 - capable of hooking up 5.8m homes and 850,000 businesses in the UK.

And Easynet has also revealed that its ISP UK Online - which up until now has been shy about revealing customer numbers - has also signed up 10,000 punters to its LLU service.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/01/easynet_llu/

ian@huth
01-07-2005, 14:37
24mb !!! I'l believe it when I see it.
Its good that people are finally standing out from the 1mb or 2mb speeds occupying the market at them moment and trying something different. Not too sure I want to know how much that will cost !
So will this mean that ADSL is going to be taking over cable for speed in the future ?There are two main factors which affect the speed that an ISP offers. Those are the capability of the infrastructure and the need to compete. An ISP may have the capability to provide speeds such as 24 Mb and above but there is little point in offering it until competitive pressure forces them to do so. There is a lot to be said for hanging back and waiting for technology to improve and be cheaper instead of rushing to be first with higher speeds. The questions really are what speed do the majority of customers need at this moment in time and what applications need the faster speeds. You don't spend millions just to satisfy a few need for speed customers.

Chrysalis
01-07-2005, 16:36
Also parts of Leics that are on net cannot get broadband.

Here is my question tho, if easynet and other llu providers rollout adsl2 will it rollout across all their exchanges at the same time?

Likewise how will NTL rollout, looking at their past history they tend to upgrade one area at a time and their can be many years between the first area and the last area been upgraded. Will we see NTL HDTV going along 24mbit lines before Southampton, Leics etc. see digital rollout and 100% broadband coverage on net.

jtribe
03-07-2005, 23:19
Well they may soon

A new range of communications platforms that allow broadband fibre performance to be obtained from conventional copper cabling is now available in the UK from Microtel.

The new Multi-Pair family of products, which offer a scalable family of standards compliant and affordable solutions, are based on a technology known as MetaLoop, developed by Actelis Networks of Fremont, California.

http://www.electronicstalk.com/news/mie/mie110.html

Hopefully when it arrives it will push prices down for everyone and Ntl will have to up the speeds to compete and stay in line with the market

Chrysalis
03-07-2005, 23:31
Well I have heard from a few on this forum and one person at NTL customer services that Leics is going through upgrades and it is expected digital tv will be rolled out along with broadband over the whole area, the problem is noone has any idea when.

punky
21-07-2005, 18:52
Not sure if it has been mentioned in here yet, but I have just seen this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/21/be_broadband/

Be Broadband 24meg for 25-30 quid a month. To good to be true maybe?

Ignition
23-07-2005, 02:05
Well they may soon

A new range of communications platforms that allow broadband fibre performance to be obtained from conventional copper cabling is now available in the UK from Microtel.

The new Multi-Pair family of products, which offer a scalable family of standards compliant and affordable solutions, are based on a technology known as MetaLoop, developed by Actelis Networks of Fremont, California.

http://www.electronicstalk.com/news/mie/mie110.html

Hopefully when it arrives it will push prices down for everyone and Ntl will have to up the speeds to compete and stay in line with the market

Requires multiple copper pairs to be bonded, unlikely to be a big residential seller as not many of us can afford several sets of line rental. :(

Isn't really great shakes either, the ADSL2+ standard (which 24Mbit services are based on) allows multiple pair bonding as standard.

Gareth
12-08-2005, 22:14
Anyone in the know got any update on when we can expect to see ADSL2+ being rolled out? Last I heard was 'late 05/early 06', but was wondering whether there's been any updates on that.

I've been speaking to my French brother-in-law about ADSL2+ and how quickly it has been adopted in France. Looking into French ISPs, I was pretty miffed to see the vast majority of them offering up to 20 meg for only â‚ ¬15 (£10) p/month... and their incentives to potential customers make it only £6 for the first 3 months :cry:

Hans Gruber
31-08-2005, 14:13
Well it seems it's here...

https://www.bethere.co.uk/beonline/homePilotTerms.do

24mbit down/ 1mbit up, no caps, £20 a month. Bloody Londoners :(

ian@huth
01-09-2005, 11:45

24mbit down/ 1mbit up, no caps, £20 a month. Bloody Londoners :(The usage policy and T&C links don't appear to link to anything on their servers.

punky
01-09-2005, 11:50

24mbit down/ 1mbit up, no caps, £20 a month. Bloody Londoners :(

Sounds a bit too good to be true TBH. And the fair use policy isn't online yet...

Doesn't mention about wether there is a contract period or not? Don't really need all the router stuff.

Hans Gruber
01-09-2005, 12:03
The usage policy and T&C links don't appear to link to anything on their servers.

https://www.bethere.co.uk/beonline/acceptableUse.do

Doesn't mention about wether there is a contract period or not? Don't really need all the router stuff.

from https://www.bethere.co.uk/beonline/termsandconditionshome.do

What is the contract period and how does it end?

Unlike most ISPs it's about as short as it gets. Your Service starts on the date that you have both received your welcome pack (including the Be Box modem) and you are connected to our Service in your local BT exchange. You can terminate your Be contract at any time without paying any cancellation fees, providing you give us three (3) months' termination notice in writing (by email, fax or letter). However, if you wish to terminate your account with less than three (3) months' notice, there's an express cancellation administrative fee of ?50. For express cancellations requested in writing before the 22nd of the month, Service will be terminated at the end of the month. For express cancellations requested after the 22nd of the month, Service will be terminated at the end of the following month.

Be may terminate your contract or suspend Services if:

<LI>you don't pay us, by the due date, any money you owe us; or
<LI>you misuse our Service (see our 'Fair and acceptable usage policy', )

Either you or Be may terminate your contract by giving thirty (30) day' written notice to the other if:

<LI>there has been a material breach of these Terms by the other party (and this isn't remedied within thirty (30) days of a written notice notifying the breach)
<LI>an event, outside its reasonable control, prevents continued provision of the Services for more than thirty (30) days
the other is unable to pay its debts (within the meaning of section 123 of the Insolvency Act 1986); or becomes insolvent or bankrupt; or is subject to an order or a resolution for its liquidation, administration, winding-up or dissolution (otherwise than for the purposes of a solvent amalgamation or reconstruction); or makes an application to a court of competent jurisdiction for protection from its creditors generally; or has an administrative or other receiver, manager, trustee, liquidator, administrator or similar officer appointed over all or any substantial part of its assets; or enters into or proposes any composition or arrangement with its creditors generally; or is subject to any analogous event or proceeding in any applicable jurisdiction

All seems pretty standard and reasonable stuff to me

ian@huth
01-09-2005, 12:26
The usage policy and T&C links don't appear to link to anything on their servers.

https://www.bethere.co.uk/beonline/acceptableUse.do
Hmmm, seems at odds with the use of the word "unlimited". I would think that most heavy users that are looking for a fast, unlimited service will have a usage that contravenes at least one of the conditions. Not unusual though, every ISP has some clause that they can use to restrict heavy users on their network.

Hans Gruber
01-09-2005, 12:48
Every ISP since the dawn of time has had pretty much the same restrictions to the service

Hans Gruber
01-09-2005, 16:23
Looks like UK Online are getting in on the action, 24mbit for under 30 quid. Sounds good to me!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/01/llu_service/

punky
01-09-2005, 17:28
Looks like UK Online are getting in on the action, 24mbit for under 30 quid. Sounds good to me!

Considering they can't give Zingle an 8meg connection, I'm not certainly i'm going to trust them to give me a 24meg connection!

Hans Gruber
01-09-2005, 17:47
Considering they can't give Zingle an 8meg connection, I'm not certainly i'm going to trust them to give me a 24meg connection!

If everyone took one bad experience to judge an ISP I don't think NTL would have any customers. I think I'd take my chances if it was available on my line. :)

andymt
01-09-2005, 18:12
yes....

telewest and ntl will be playing catch up..
they are just upgrading to 10mb now, in the next few months it could be that ppl on bt broadband are paying £24.99 for 8mb/possibly 18/possibly 24
and we pay £35 for 10mb!!

punky
01-09-2005, 18:21
If everyone took one bad experience to judge an ISP I don't think NTL would have any customers. I think I'd take my chances if it was available on my line. :)

True... My connection is flawless, when I don't think anyone in Coventry on NTL ever had decent broadband a day in their lives... But word of mouth and perception is important. The fact its been dragging on many months now doesn't bode well.

Unfortunately, they aren't rated sufficiently to appear on adslguide, so I have no idea if its an exception or the rule :shrug:

Chrysalis
01-09-2005, 22:27
True... My connection is flawless, when I don't think anyone in Coventry on NTL ever had decent broadband a day in their lives... But word of mouth and perception is important. The fact its been dragging on many months now doesn't bode well.

Unfortunately, they aren't rated sufficiently to appear on adslguide, so I have no idea if its an exception or the rule :shrug:

From what I heard of friend's ukonline's adsl is very good, performance and reliability wise, but the customer service is very poor with long waiting times. Now not everyone will get the max speed, ADSL is distance dependant and its the nature of the service.

As far as problems dragging on for months well NTL is king of that, it has the worst reputation as well, I would certianly call NTL more of a gamble then ukonline.

andymt
02-09-2005, 09:26
ADSL is distance dependant and its the nature of the service.

Yes but asdl2+ is not as much distance baced.

8mb will be distance based, so not everyone will get 8mb, but when adsl2+ comes out (18mb, 24mb) It wont really be distance based, it will just depend on whether the exchange is equipped.

This will also prepare for vdsl.

Hans Gruber
02-09-2005, 14:01
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/news/viewnews.cgi?id=EEkVyulVFZZaPYLjFF

Well 'Be' has hooked up their first customer and they've received 18.5mbit :Yikes:

I'm not at all jealous, no really. :rolleyes:

andymt
02-09-2005, 17:35
yes, bt and therefore wholesale companies are releasing 8mb STANDARD in october, and then 18mb.

for £24.99 from telewest u will get 4meg unlimited, same price from bt=18mb capped...
hmmmm

Ignition
02-09-2005, 22:23
yes, bt and therefore wholesale companies are releasing 8mb STANDARD in october, and then 18mb.

for £24.99 from telewest u will get 4meg unlimited, same price from bt=18mb capped...
hmmmm

8Mbit isn't going to be the standard, speeds above 2Mbit will at least for the foreseeable future be available only to those who are already able to take a 2Mbit service on a BTW line.

18Mbit / ADSL2+ is awaiting any confirmation from BT as to when it'll be deployed.

Personally I'd rather have 4Mbit uncapped than 18Mbit with BT's farcical 1GB/month or 15GB/month caps, although agreed it may suit some.

Gareth
02-09-2005, 23:01
Personally I'd rather have 4Mbit uncapped than 18Mbit with BT's farcical 1GB/month or 15GB/month caps, although agreed it may suit some.You and me both :Yes:

Chrysalis
03-09-2005, 03:43
8Mbit isn't going to be the standard, speeds above 2Mbit will at least for the foreseeable future be available only to those who are already able to take a 2Mbit service on a BTW line.

18Mbit / ADSL2+ is awaiting any confirmation from BT as to when it'll be deployed.

Personally I'd rather have 4Mbit uncapped than 18Mbit with BT's farcical 1GB/month or 15GB/month caps, although agreed it may suit some.

Agree

andymt
03-09-2005, 11:18
yes, but forgive me if im wrong, taking bt broadband as an example, the packages are:

£17.99-2mb , 1gb cap
£24.99-2mb, 15gb cap
£26.99-2mb, btyahoo 15gb cap
£29.99-2mb, btyahoo 30gb cap

I have read many articles stating that the packages will remain the same, except the speed will just be increased to 8mb. BT will continue to do this whenever faster speeds become availible. So in the autumn, they will have adslmax, and then later on 2006, they PROBABLY will have adsl2+ services in place.

However, i totally agree when you say that id rather have 4mb unlimited services. However, i do think the telewest elite 2mb is quite pricy at the moment, but it is going to increase to 10mb unlimited which at the moment is a great deal, until bulldog and ukonline and eventually BT unveil the faster speeds.

I am keen to know, however, why llu companies like ukonline can offer faster speeds than BT itself?
Thanks. I think we can safely can say that in a few months time the standard broadband speed accross UK wil increase from <2mb to >10mb!

If I am correct, by the time tw have completed the upgrade to 2mb,4mb and 10mb, it will be time for the next upgrade!!
I would also like to voice the opinion that it was a bad idea for tw to drop the £50 p/m package , as it would mean tw loosing the ppl who r prepared to pay that much! Maybe they could have offered something else to fill that package, ie a faster speed or greater upload speed?

Chrysalis
04-09-2005, 02:52
BT speeds are based on what they rollout on the wholestream level for ipstream, these speeds can also be used by all the other isp's selling wholestream services, pipes,plusnet, nildram etc. The difference been between them are probably most likely contention,peering arrangements and cap levels. Ukonline use llu which frees them of the ipstream restriction, BT have always been conservative on what they rollout. The 8mbit also is ADSL whilst 24mbit is ADSL2.

I also have been thinking recently a 8mbit+ with no cap is a bad thing, international traffic I can see taking a big performance hit like it does with sweden's BBB provider, they are an isp good speeds internally and to few countries in eu but to uk and america they are terrible.

etccarmageddon
07-09-2005, 14:31
a useful tool for those thinking of 24meg ADSL - check your distance from your exchange as you may not be close enough for top speeds.

http://www.internode.on.net/images/copyright/internode-adsl2-distance.jpg

slowcoach
07-09-2005, 16:29
a useful tool for those thinking of 24meg ADSL - check your distance from your exchange as you may not be close enough for top speeds.

http://www.internode.on.net/images/copyright/internode-adsl2-distance.jpg
It wouldn't have helped me, 1.93 km as crow from exchange, max speed available after upgrading the wires - 512kbs.
Looking at the chart you wouldn't get the full 24Mbs if you lived in the exchange and the way the graph drops away gives me vertigo :dozey:
Looks like sales of 24Meg Broadband T-Shirts are going to be poor sellers.

Gareth
09-09-2005, 03:29
Anyone else hear about Pipex launching 24 meg adsl (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/08/pipex_llu/) too? Nobody can deny that Pipex, unlike certain other ISPs, is a major player, so I think this could be one to watch closely... more so than the other vendors I've seen making such announcements recently.

oxygenuk
12-09-2005, 14:53
BE launched their stuff today or yesterday www.bethere.co.uk (http://www.bethere.co.uk)

it says if i sign up before 18th of sep itll be a £20 service for life, should i risk joining BE?

Hans Gruber
12-09-2005, 17:34
The most you stand to lose with Be is £60 (3 months cancellation notice), but you get a modem worth more than that anyway. I'd definately sign up if I could.

Ignition
14-09-2005, 11:22
The most you stand to lose with Be is £60 (3 months cancellation notice), but you get a modem worth more than that anyway. I'd definately sign up if I could.

The modem is rented, you don't own it, sorry dude :)

Hans Gruber
14-09-2005, 11:55
Ahh thought you owned it, I'd still sign up :p

zitianaki
13-10-2005, 14:59
wow 3 months offline and you guys are on 24MBit.... meanwhile i am on my niffty 56k haha havent had 4kbyte downloads for years makes you wanna throw pc against wall..... cyprus offer 1MBit for £40.. i think id be very gratefull for even 512kbit atm haha i wonder any speed tests been done on this 24MBit... havent time to wait 5 years for each page to load not sure if any have been shown on this thread? if i ever go back to uk my 8MBit with higher upload should be good last time it was 400k looks like its 700something now says the web site... 24Mbit upload seems bit slow for such high down though id be very happy if that upload was my down right now!!!:mad:

bethere24mb
16-10-2005, 17:38
Ok they have left me no choice but to create a bethere forums.

Please help and sign up so we can get to the bottom of this

I have had countless problems with BETHERE before and after my connection.

i think there so many people having problems with bethere, so i want us to come together to get BETTER SERVICE.

Please go to Link Removed (Neil). Please ask before you spam your website on our forums, thanks.

Enuff
16-10-2005, 18:18
Looks like it could be BT's fault, thats what BeThere are saying. .::Read (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/14/be_update/)::.

Paul K
16-10-2005, 20:20
Looks like it could be BT's fault, thats what BeThere are saying. .::Read (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/14/be_update/)::.
Erm it actually states that they are having problems with the automated interface between their systems and BTs, they are not blaming BT for all their problems. I can't see the bit where they blame BT for everything that's going wrong at this moment in time :erm:
Processing your orders One of our greater challenges has been getting our automated interfaces with BT to run smoothly. As the receiving system has recently been upgraded and our system is new - there was a great opportunity for issues - and as luck would have it, we have found them. (We even have had an issue as our name had changed from Avatar Broadband to Be Un limited!) We've tracked down the majority of issues and we (along with BT) are all working day and night to resolve them - we are making great progress. We expect to be caught up on resolving order errors by early next week.
To me that says that BT have recently updated their end of the interface and now there are teething problems with the orders coming across from Be, it also says that Be caused part of the problem with their name change. If this was totally down to BT I would expect Be to place the blame fully at their doors as it would be a good way of gaining publicity while offloading the complaints from their customers.
This article (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/14/ota_llu/) gives a better picture of the problems (including the BT interface) and also gives an idea why BT have recently spent a lot of money creating a group to handle the LLU situation properly before the regulators lose patience with them ;)

Enuff
16-10-2005, 21:31
Sorry your right, I was half asleep when I posted that... which is no excuse! :o:

Paul K
16-10-2005, 22:01
Half asleep at that time of day?? Now that's a lay in and a half lol.
Let's face it, it's easy to blame BT as no doubt they were the major part of the problem in the past. They have had to invest heavily in their OpenReach program to deal with the LLU situation and have been left very aware of what will happen if the regulator has to step in again.

Enuff
16-10-2005, 22:13
Half asleep at that time of day?? Now that's a lay in and a half lol. More of a siesta, I'm getting on u know (couldnt find smiley with a beard or grey hair.) ;)

Martyn
18-10-2005, 05:37
Problem is, when ever something good comes out, its never avalible in my area, so i got to stick with the crappy NTL,

What do them exchange boxes look like? im gonna dig one up, n put it outside my house :) lol.

jtwn
24-10-2005, 22:01
I thought this thread over on Chetnet may be of some interest, in particular Peter M's comment on only 5% being able to get 18mbps on ADSL2+.

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/showthread.php?t=6058

Ignition
25-10-2005, 21:51
I thought this thread over on Chetnet may be of some interest, in particular Peter M's comment on only 5% being able to get 18mbps on ADSL2+.

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/showthread.php?t=6058

Replied.

Hans Gruber
02-11-2005, 15:26
Oooooh!

Looks like Be's coming to Peterborough!

We are currently expecting to enable your exchange in Mar-2006.

They're the first of the LLUers round these parts, hope that means the other will be along soon. Pity I'm about 3km from the exchange, but I think that should be 8mbit+ and a nice fast upstream! All that for 24 quid? yes please! :D