PDA

View Full Version : Smelly Air Con

Salu
30-06-2005, 16:35
My air conditioning in my car sometimes smells when you turn it on. The sniff is akin to smelly sock :) but I can assure you my car does not wear socks.

The smell soon goes though. I was advised to make sure that the air con is used regularly which it is, all the way through the year.

Anybody have any experience with this? Is it one of those "normal" things that you should get used to?

Thanks

Raistlin
30-06-2005, 16:42
When was the last time you had the Aircon serviced/recharged?

Has your car got replaceable pollen filters in ther air blower system? If so it might be worth checking these to see if they are excessively soiled.

Aragorn
30-06-2005, 16:42
Similar thing here with my Mundano - although the smell is more noticeable when I turn the ac off! I just ignore it.

marky
30-06-2005, 16:44
probably wants cleaning i once had a problem with dead leaves decomposing in the intake :sick:

Nugget
30-06-2005, 16:54
I used to know a guy whose girlfriend had been sick in the vents in his car, so everytime he put the blowers on, he got the interesting aroma of weeks / months old vomit ...

Jarandco
30-06-2005, 17:03
My mums car had that problem of a weird smell with the air conditioning, she got the garage to look at it, charged her a lot of money for a type of clean and then the smell came back after a few weeks, then it seemed to fade away again?!

Its strange as sometimes u can still smell it for a little bit, but generally its fine, but it used to smell worse with the air conditioning turned off?!

It probably just needs a clean or the filters changed as others have said...

I used to know a guy whose girlfriend had been sick in the vents in his car, so everytime he put the blowers on, he got the interesting aroma of weeks / months old vomit ...

Thats disgusting.. :p:

Angua
30-06-2005, 18:13

Sorry, slightly :notopic:
There is a patch of vomit on a pavement near the town centre which has been there so long it has permanantly laminated itself to the path.https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/07/6.gif

marky
30-06-2005, 18:14
sell it as an origional jackson pollack

greencreeper
30-06-2005, 18:36
Oh lovely. Certain mould spores make a real mess of lung tissue. Wouldn't get me in the car without a chemical warfare suit :no: :D

budwieser
30-06-2005, 18:52
My air conditioning in my car sometimes smells when you turn it on. The sniff is akin to smelly sock :) but I can assure you my car does not wear socks.

The smell soon goes though. I was advised to make sure that the air con is used regularly which it is, all the way through the year.

Anybody have any experience with this? Is it one of those "normal" things that you should get used to?

Thanks

The smell is caused by bacteria. Its nothing to do with whats inside the air con system.:)
If you go to a main dealer or accessory shop, you can buy a can which releases a cleaner inside the car.
All you do is have the air con running on recycle with the windows shut and it takes about 15 minutes. After wards you just have to vent the car by leaving the windows open.:angel:

Tuftus
30-06-2005, 19:45
The smell is caused by bacteria. Its nothing to do with whats inside the air con system.:)
If you go to a main dealer or accessory shop, you can buy a can which releases a cleaner inside the car.
All you do is have the air con running on recycle with the windows shut and it takes about 15 minutes. After wards you just have to vent the car by leaving the windows open.:angel:

As Bud says...

It's called Sick Car Syndrome, quite common in cars with air con.