PDA

View Full Version : Brake Discs.....

leef78
30-06-2005, 16:23
Afternoon guys/gals....

You guessed it! another boring motoring question from me. Apologies in advance bur a lot of you guys seem knowledgable on this subject!

As some of you know I've been playing "mechanic" with my car recently, changing brake pads, spark plugs, air filters and so on.... Well now i've decided to have a go on the good old brake discs! im enjoying this mechanic lark and not paying £50 an hour labour to do simplish jobs! ;) So off I go down to my local "Motor Discount Store" and ask for Brake discs for my clio, he says "vented" or "solid", I say i'll get back to him! Now the price difference is about £7 more for the vented, the ones currently on my car are solid, so my question being, is it worth the extra 7 sheets or not? would I notice any difference in braking with the vented ones (ckeeping cooler under braking etc)? as always your advice is much appriechaited (probably spelt wrong!)

Cheers!
Lee

pop80_uk
30-06-2005, 16:30
Do you do much stop start driving?
Vented will keep the disc cooler and therefore mean it is more effective under hasrh and hard continued breaking, and is less likely to warp under these conditions. For normal driving solid discs will be fine, and in some respects even racing teams prefer solid disks as they have better intial contact results than vented or groooved.
Go for either but you will not notice a difference for your £7.00 under normal driving. Dont forget the anti squeal shims!:)

Steve H
30-06-2005, 16:33
Got vented on mine ATM after I ran the car on the old disks with the pads down to the metal :O

Don't really notice any difference tbh, I suspose when I do go on a long drive around the country it has it's benifits with less brake fade and stuff, but for normal driving it's just the same as normal.

paulyoung666
30-06-2005, 17:17
you probably wont be able to fit vented in place of none vented ones , they are significantly thicker and would most likely require different calipers / possibly mounting brackets , it could be done by transplanting brakes from a higher spec car , imo it would not be worth the effort , or the expense :)

leef78
30-06-2005, 20:14
Thanks Guys!!! Normal Discs it is then!!

Cheers
Lee

paulyoung666
30-06-2005, 20:16
no problem :)

grandmaster
30-06-2005, 20:20
Dont forget copper grease!

put it on the back of the pads to stop any squeal

Tuftus
30-06-2005, 20:53
Dont forget copper grease!

put it on the back of the pads to stop any squeal

And on the screw that holds the discs to the hubs, just in case you ever need to change em again, these screws can be a right b'stard to get out unless they have been copper slipped.

Tip 1, get new screws in case you mangle the heads of the old ones getting them out.

Tip 2 If you cannot get the existing screws out, drill the heads off so it leaves a 'peg' to locate on then use the wheel studs to hold it to the hub.

Hope this helps!

paulyoung666
30-06-2005, 21:01
And on the screw that holds the discs to the hubs, just in case you ever need to change em again, these screws can be a right b'stard to get out unless they have been copper slipped.

Tip 1, get new screws in case you mangle the heads of the old ones getting them out.

Tip 2 If you cannot get the existing screws out, drill the heads off so it leaves a 'peg' to locate on then use the wheel studs to hold it to the hub.

Hope this helps!

like tuftus said , the little screws can be a ******* :erm: , dont worry though , they are not essential , and if the disc wont come off easy , then cut through from the edge to the centre with a hacksaw then shock them off with a hammer , be careful though , bits can fly off and sods law dictates they will hit you in the eye, wear goggles or a face shield ;) , have fun :D :D

Tuftus
30-06-2005, 21:04
like tuftus said , the little screws can be a ******* :erm: , dont worry though , they are not essential , and if the disc wont come off easy , then cut through from the edge to the centre with a hacksaw then shock them off with a hammer , be careful though , bits can fly off and sods law dictates they will hit you in the eye, wear goggles or a face shield ;) , have fun :D :D

Or 'Tap' them gently with a lump hammer... :angel:

marky
30-06-2005, 21:20
having spent many happy hour in the scrappers they are right about the screws i always put a heavy screwdriver in then smack it with a hammer it works wonders

Tuftus
30-06-2005, 21:43
having spent many happy hour in the scrappers they are right about the screws i always put a heavy screwdriver in then smack it with a hammer it works wonders

Brute force and ignorance often works wonders...

:D :D :D