PDA

View Full Version : Router for STB?

Jonax
29-06-2005, 21:11
Glad to be posting here - Been with "NTL" since the Nynex years, had broadband with ntl for almost two years, been watching NTLhellworld since its original incarnation :D

For a while, I've been happy with the one-PC internet connection to the family WinXP desktop but I've been thinking of networking it to cater for my fairly-old Linux laptop. The whole network is wired so ethernet is enough, but the internet is through the STB - What type of router (DSL/ADSL) do I need to connect the STB & the computers? :erm:

On a following note, anyone recommend any routers for the job?

homealone
29-06-2005, 21:20
Hi Jonax :welcome: to the forum :tu:

If you are not worried about a wireless solution, i use one of these

http://www1.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=367

it was very easy to install & has been extremely reliable.

Jonax
29-06-2005, 21:22
So a DSL router is enough to plug into the STB? :)

Paul K
29-06-2005, 21:23
We use one of these
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/RP614.php
but the linksys is good too.

Neil
29-06-2005, 21:30
Glad to be posting here - Been with "NTL" since the Nynex years, had broadband with ntl for almost two years, been watching NTLhellworld since its original incarnation :D

For a while, I've been happy with the one-PC internet connection to the family WinXP desktop but I've been thinking of networking it to cater for my fairly-old Linux laptop. The whole network is wired so ethernet is enough, but the internet is through the STB - What type of router (DSL/ADSL) do I need to connect the STB & the computers? :erm:

On a following note, anyone recommend any routers for the job?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/search.php?searchid=602812

SMHarman
29-06-2005, 23:02
So a DSL router is enough to plug into the STB? :)That one is cable/dsl. As are most stand alone routers.

jaycee
29-06-2005, 23:27
You want one that's for Cable/ADSL. These have no internal modem (as the ADSL ones do), they just have an "Internet" or "WAN" port, and "LAN" ports. This is what you need.

The Linksys or Netgear ones that have been recommended will work great.

Jonax
29-06-2005, 23:42
You want one that's for Cable/ADSL. These have no internal modem (as the ADSL ones do).

:confused:

Tezcatlipoca
29-06-2005, 23:45
:confused:

Some routers (ADSL only ones) are combined routers/modems - they have a built-in ADSL modem. You don't want one of those for a cable connection.

You need just a normal cable/DSL router, as others have recommended.

Matth
30-06-2005, 00:19
One known "troublemaker" IS THE BENQ esg103 - with some fairly substantial incompatibility issues with the PACE STB

Raistlin
30-06-2005, 00:23
You want one that's for Cable/ADSL. These have no internal modem (as the ADSL ones do), they just have an "Internet" or "WAN" port, and "LAN" ports. This is what you need.

The Linksys or Netgear ones that have been recommended will work great.

Surely you mean:

"You want one that's for Cable/DSL....."

jaycee
30-06-2005, 00:25
One known "troublemaker" IS THE BENQ esg103 - with some fairly substantial incompatibility issues with the PACE STB
Thats because anything BenQ make is generally cheap garbage. Similarly, Belkin's routers are dreadful. Steer clear and stick with Linksys or Netgear.

Jonax
30-06-2005, 01:01
Some routers (ADSL only ones) are combined routers/modems - they have a built-in ADSL modem. You don't want one of those for a cable connection.

Ah, I think I'm getting it :D

TBH I was originally looking at a Buffalo router, but I might have a look at the Netgear or Linksys.

Cheers for the help, guys :)