PDA

View Full Version : My Poor Wee Clio

liamboyle06
29-06-2005, 16:30
Hi Everybody
I have noticed somehting strange happening with my wee clio.
Its a '97 1.4s Maxim with 74000 miles on the clock.

Problem is that when running in first and second gear, it is very jumpy and there is not a lot of acceleration; but anything above 2nd gear(3rd, 4th, 5th), it is fine and has lots of acceleration and pulling power.
I had new oil and filter change and new spark plugs installed as well but same thing still happens.

Any body any suggestions?

Roy MM
29-06-2005, 16:53
Sounds like clutch slipping under the torgue of the lower gears.

Flubflow
29-06-2005, 17:00
How do you mean by:"it is very jumpy"?

pop80_uk
29-06-2005, 17:01
Thrust bearing in the clutch plate. New clutch.
Do you ride the clucth? as this wears it quickly!
Hope this helps.

budwieser
29-06-2005, 17:12
Hi Everybody
I have noticed somehting strange happening with my wee clio.
Its a '97 1.4s Maxim with 74000 miles on the clock.

Problem is that when running in first and second gear, it is very jumpy and there is not a lot of acceleration; but anything above 2nd gear(3rd, 4th, 5th), it is fine and has lots of acceleration and pulling power.
I had new oil and filter change and new spark plugs installed as well but same thing still happens.

Any body any suggestions?
Change your plug leads or distributor cap mate. It sounds like it is `Holding back`.
If that fails, get the coil checked out.:)
Does it rev freely in neutral? Or does it only struggle when it is in gear and you are accelerating?

paulyoung666
29-06-2005, 17:24
cant see the clutch causing it to 'kangaroo' somehow :angel:

Angua
29-06-2005, 18:40
cant see the clutch causing it to 'kangaroo' somehow :angel:

You can always tell poor clutch control by kangarooing.

Used to have this problem with an Astra I had. Get the clutch looked at first and foremost.

Raistlin
29-06-2005, 19:04
My first thought was "clutch".

If the clutch is slipping, and then biting suddenly, you will get the symptoms that you describe.

I would get the whole clutch assembly looked at, it could be anything from the plates to the bearings or the release mechanism.

paulyoung666
29-06-2005, 19:16
You can always tell poor clutch control by kangarooing.

Used to have this problem with an Astra I had. Get the clutch looked at first and foremost.

clutch control yes , slipping clutch , no i dont think so :erm: , easy way to check it is to get to say 30mph , and put it top gear and floor the accelerator , that will show clutch slip :tu:

budwieser
29-06-2005, 20:28
I still am sure it`s an Electrical fault.

IE: Plug leads, Coil etc.:rolleyes:

If it was a slipping clutch, the car would accelerate but not go anywhere!

Tuftus
29-06-2005, 20:36
I still am sure it`s an Electrical fault.

IE: Plug leads, Coil etc.:rolleyes:

If it was a slipping clutch, the car would accelerate but not go anywhere!

But why only in 1st?

This one has me puzzled...

:confused:

budwieser
29-06-2005, 20:38
But why only in 1st?

This one has me puzzled...

:confused:
In first gear and second gear the car is under the most load it will get.

Tuftus
29-06-2005, 20:41
In first gear the car is under the most load it will get.

See where you are coming from, still not sure though, maybe a vacuum leak on the intake side or on the dizzy advance / retard mech?

Roy MM
29-06-2005, 21:14
Over 40 years driving i know nothing.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=511488&postcount=2

paulyoung666
29-06-2005, 21:44
Over 40 years driving i know nothing.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=511488&postcount=2

but if the clutch was slipping it would act more like an automatic , not kangarooing as if you were on and off the loud pedal all the time , if the op does what i said earlier then it will rule the clutch out for certain :angel:

Roy MM
29-06-2005, 22:04
Not at all Paul, if the clutch plate was unbalanced to start with you would get an uneven grab at in lower gears/high torque, slip/grab will cause kangaroo effect, the high revs in lower gears points to clutch slipping, nothing to do wih electrical atall.

Classic case,

Problem is that when running in first and second gear, it is very jumpy and there is not a lot of acceleration;

paulyoung666
29-06-2005, 22:32
Not at all Paul, if the clutch plate was unbalanced to start with you would get an uneven grab at in lower gears/high torque, slip/grab will cause kangaroo effect, the high revs in lower gears points to clutch slipping, nothing to do wih electrical atall.

Classic case,

Problem is that when running in first and second gear, it is very jumpy and there is not a lot of acceleration;

not convinced but there you go , time will tell i suppose :shrug:

budwieser
29-06-2005, 23:02
See where you are coming from, still not sure though, maybe a vacuum leak on the intake side or on the dizzy advance / retard mech?
#
"Change your plug leads or distributor cap mate. It sounds like it is `Holding back`.
If that fails, get the coil checked out.:)"
Dizzy cap?:)

homealone
29-06-2005, 23:35
'modern' cars - ok - those with 'fuel injection', have an engine management system - have you 'chipped' your clio?

Nikko
29-06-2005, 23:55
Clutch for sure - unless its auto?

Jules
30-06-2005, 09:50
Go to the library and have a look at a Hayes manual for it see if it says any thing in there :)

ScaredWebWarrior
30-06-2005, 10:58

It sounds to me much more like a fuel/air problem than a clutch problem.

'modern' cars - ok - those with 'fuel injection', have an engine management system - have you 'chipped' your clio?

Good question - but first, does it actually have fuel injection?

Even so, the injectors could be clogged or depending on the injection system they might not all be working.

Does it still do this when the engine is warm?

liamboyle06
04-07-2005, 23:08
Sorry for not replying sooner, I am out of action from driving for a while as I tore the ligaments in my ankle. I have noticed that when the car is full of fuel, ithere is a smell of petrol coming from it, but all hte mechanics can not find any reason why not.
I do not think it is has fuel injection either.
I will have to get someone to have a look at it and fully inspect it over.

thanks for all your help guys.

homealone
04-07-2005, 23:12
Sorry for not replying sooner, I am out of action from driving for a while as I tore the ligaments in my ankle. I have noticed that when the car is full of fuel, ithere is a smell of petrol coming from it, but all hte mechanics can not find any reason why not.
I do not think it is has fuel injection either.
I will have to get someone to have a look at it and fully inspect it over.

thanks for all your help guys.

sorry to hear about your ankle, however, I think getting a smell of petrol checked out is a very good idea ;)