PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a router ?

odette
29-06-2005, 07:09
Help please.

I have zone alarm firewall installed and currently have 1 pc.

Was wondering if it would be beneficial to buy a router for additionial protection.

If so, which router would be compatible/recommended. Would like to do this as cheaply as possible.

I May get a laptop in the future so it would be useful to have the facility to access the internet connection from another room without hard wiring.

I have the ntl modem plugged in via the ethernet cable. No wireless network card on my pc.

If I get a wirelss router can I still connect it via a physical cable to my pc and then use the wirelss facility for any additionial computer/laptop or will I need to buy a wireless card for my pc ?

Would appreciate any advice or recommendations.

Thanks

Odette

Tricky
29-06-2005, 07:26
Welcome to the site...

If you intend to go wireless at some point then this is a must for your config. A router will add another layer of security to your network but only if configured correctly. A favourite router on this site is probably the Linksys WRTG54 range (I use one) there are others and features will differ from router to router but the majority will offer wireless security as well as basic firewall security via NAT (Network Address Translation) which "almost" makes your clients appear invisable to the outside world.

Ramrod
29-06-2005, 08:51
I find a router useful when I am online gaming--I can turn off my software a/v and firewall and still have a degree of protection from the router.

SMHarman
29-06-2005, 09:14
If you have a router why do you run a soft firewall. The only reason to is to prevent SP2 throwing a hissy fit that it has no firewall protection.

The AV point is good though, no need for an AV to be on during on line gaming as you are effectivly visiting only one trusted location on the internet, no mail, not wierd websites.

I would also recommend the WRT54G

Ramrod
29-06-2005, 09:27
If you have a router why do you run a soft firewall. 'Cos I'm paranoid :disturbd: :D

MetaWraith
29-06-2005, 09:37
'Cos I'm paranoid :disturbd: :D
Cue the men in white coats coming to take you away :)

Tricky
29-06-2005, 10:05
'Cos I'm paranoid :disturbd: :D

I have to agree - the more protection the better...Just makes troubleshooting a little harder working out which firewall is causing problems!
Why do we buy cars with an airbag if you have a seat belt... :erm:

SMHarman
29-06-2005, 10:27
Why buy a car with seatbelts or airbags if you have decent brakes that stop everything at the front door (a hardware firewall?)

Ramrod
29-06-2005, 10:28
Now lets not start this argument again :)

Nemesis
29-06-2005, 10:29
seconded .... watching :)

dilli-theclaw
29-06-2005, 10:30
I have a router(with firewall). But I also use a software one, which pops up if there is an outbound connection attempt.

odette
01-07-2005, 07:18
Hi

Thankyou to everyone who has responded to my message.

I will start shopping online for the router.

Odette

Halcyon
01-07-2005, 10:41
Just wanted to say Welcome to the forums odette. I hope you enjoy it here.
Once you have your router, dont hesitate to post a message if you need help setting it up. We will be happy to help.