PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question Re: Pace STB LEDs

John C
28-06-2005, 16:46
Just a quick question regarding this - I've had problems with my broadband connection since Friday (XP reports limited or no connectivity, releasing/renewing DHCP has no effect).

I spoke to NTL support last night, and they left me with the suggestion that I contact my PC vendor. One thing that didn't occur to me to check with them was whether the fact that the middle LED on my STB either flashes, or is off completely indicates a problem with the STB rather than my PC... (Support told me that the STB was fine, so far as they could see, but that was towards the end of the converstation).

I've picked up some more troubleshooting tips from posts here which I'll try tonight (thanks everybody!) but in the meantime, it'd be useful to know whether the STB is telling me something I should know (before I go re-installing windows, that is... :) )

Thanks for any help.

grandmaster
28-06-2005, 16:48
I thought that flashing middle LED was a faulty bb connection stb side

Roy MM
28-06-2005, 17:03
No middle light is a sure sign that something is wrong, the light indicates you have a return pathe, if rebooting the box does nothing call CS again and mention the light.

Oh and :welcome: to CF

John C
28-06-2005, 17:40
Thanks gents - I'll try a reboot of the STB when I get home (done a few, but one more won't hurt :) ) and then give CS a call if it doesn't come back.

John C
28-06-2005, 19:51
Woo! Back in business! I got home and the light was steady instead of flashing/off. The USB connection was still returning a 169.* ip address, unfortunately, and wouldn't respond to release/renew requests.

Fortunately, I had another NIC in this machine and that one *could* pick up an ip address in the 10.10 range (which I now know, from reading around on here, is the one that allows you to register your computer with NTL). A quick run through the autoreg process, and I can post a hearty thank you to the people that contribute to this forum via an NTL broadband connected PC :)

Result.

Cheers everyone! I believe I may just have a small dry sherry or two to celebrate... ;)

grandmaster
28-06-2005, 19:56
Glad you got it sorted!!