PDA

View Full Version : Grass

STONEISLAND
27-06-2005, 19:22
No not weed :rolleyes: I dont do that any more. :D

I laid some new lawn about 6 weeks ago and it was looking good till I mowed it.
There seems to be a lot of brown patchs and I belive dead grass. My lawn is not big.

Can I sprinke grass seeds on the brown patches in hope of new grass?

Any tips?

Theodoric
27-06-2005, 19:23
No not weed :rolleyes: I dont do that any more. :D

I laid some new lawn about 6 weeks ago and it was looking good till I mowed it.
There seems to be a lot of brown patchs and I belive dead grass. My lawn is not big.

Can I sprinke grass seeds on the brown patches in hope of new grass?

Any tips?
Er, I notice "Harry my dog" in your sig. Canine urine is deadly to lawns - too much nitrogen in it.

AndrewJ
27-06-2005, 19:25
Concrete solves alot of gardening problems and means more beer and bbq's :D

STONEISLAND
27-06-2005, 19:26
Er, I notice "Harry my dog" in your sig. Canine urine is deadly to lawns - too much nitrogen in it.

Someone has told me that is the case but was not sure weather true.
So nothing I can do? :shrug:

Theodoric
27-06-2005, 19:27
Have you been watering it enough? Lawns need lots of water, hence the reason for hose pipe bans. And yes, it always looks great while it's long, but when you cut it you see all the bare patches. It's sort of like someone going bald brushing his hair over the bald patches.

STONEISLAND
27-06-2005, 19:27

I did have that before I laid the lawn. But I love grass in the summer. :Sun:

Theodoric
27-06-2005, 19:28
And increases the risk of flooding because all the water runs off instead of sinking into the soil. :)

STONEISLAND
27-06-2005, 19:30
Have you been watering it enough? Lawns need lots of water, hence the reason for hose pipe bans. And yes, it always looks great while it's long, but when you cut it you see all the bare patches. It's sort of like someone going bald brushing his hair over the bald patches.

:rofl:

I have given the lawn as much as I belive is enougth. But I may be wrong.

I gave it some lawn feed and feel as though that made it worst.
Can I not put grass seed on the patches?
I spent sooooooo much time laying it I'd hate to see it all die.

Theodoric
27-06-2005, 19:33
Someone has told me that is the case but was not sure weather true.
So nothing I can do? :shrug:
It's true. I assume that you're not going for Plan A, giving the dog its suitcase and sending it packing. You're only hope is to copiously water every spot that it sprinkles on in order to dilute the urine.

allieyoung666
27-06-2005, 19:34
I thought you could cut the brown patches out and patch it, and use lawn seed to help it establish.

AndrewJ
27-06-2005, 19:34
And increases the risk of flooding because all the water runs off instead of sinking into the soil. :)

LOL dont bother me conservatory coming soon, so builders job last owner thought concrete everything would be the answer.

Theodoric
27-06-2005, 19:35
:rofl:

I have given the lawn as much as I belive is enougth. But I may be wrong.

I gave it some lawn feed and feel as though that made it worst.
Can I not put grass seed on the patches?
I spent sooooooo much time laying it I'd hate to see it all die.
Well, it won't do any harm (except to your wallet) putting more seed down.

STONEISLAND
27-06-2005, 19:35
It's true. I assume that you're not going for Plan A, giving the dog its suitcase and sending it packing. You're only hope is to copiously water every spot that it sprinkles on in order to dilute the urine.

Well thats going to be a reall pain in the a$$.

Theodoric
27-06-2005, 19:38
One thing about watering, and I'm speaking from memory here, so any lawn experts please speak up. When watering, you should go for long solid watering spells rather than a lot of short brief ones. The reason is that brief waterings only wet the very top layer of soil which encourages roots near the surface rather than deeper ones.

STONEISLAND
27-06-2005, 19:41
One thing about watering, and I'm speaking from memory here, so any lawn experts please speak up. When watering, you should go for long solid watering spells rather than a lot of short brief ones. The reason is that brief waterings only wet the very top layer of soil which encourages roots near the surface rather than deeper ones.

Tell you what mate thats just what I have been doing. :tu:
I dont have a sprinkler so I just stood there for about five mins (got bord of just standing) spraying daily.

I have since brought a B&Q cheep one which was a waste of 5 pounds as useless.

Shadow Demon UK
27-06-2005, 19:44
We relayed our lawn last year and the best advice i can give for the summer months is to, if you are, not use too much fertilizer as this may be causing the brown patches. The best thing to do would be to spike the ground with a fork or buy a '*****ing' roller machine and then give it plenty of water. Try not to let your dog on the lawn and try not to walk on it yourself if you have only recently layed it as this may also be a reason for brown patches.

This should clear up the brown patches but they are very common after cutting the lawn the first few times (as i found out) ;)

Paul K
27-06-2005, 19:56
Yep, spike it, water it,throw some seed down and dress it with a thin layer of soil. Use a sprinkler for at least 15-20 minutes 2-3 times a week in the hot weather and keep the dog off it as much as possible.

bdav
27-06-2005, 21:13
Defo the dog - my new puppy has turned about 1/2 the lawn brown! Nothing you can do about it!

MadGamer
27-06-2005, 21:23

**Hopes Russ doesnt see that post** :D

Jules
27-06-2005, 21:25
And if he is a male dog it is even worse as there urine is stronger

Angua
27-06-2005, 21:34
If you can water with a sprinkler (not a hose attachment) for at least 30 minutes for each area the sprinkler covers and it's better if the sun is off the lawn when you water, and for the dog try this
(http://www.gpsdirect.biz/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=2488&categoryid=57)

Keytops
27-06-2005, 21:37
...and for the dog try this
(http://www.gpsdirect.biz/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=2488&categoryid=57)

Or these http://store.poochpad.com/poochpants.html :dozey:

Matthew
27-06-2005, 23:52
We just take the end off the hose pipe and flood the grass and it soon greens up. Do it for several hours in the evening. This week maybe three or four times already.

zing_deleted
28-06-2005, 00:00
Brown grass is normal when its hot it might simply be scorched.Fork over the grass (just make holes dont dig)to help dainage then water really really well I mean loads leave a hose over affected areas.Really speaking its been to hot to lay a lawn better done end of season or start when the sun isnt to hot,If you just sprinkle the water will evaporate it will also heat up on the grass causing scorch,the ground needs to reallysoak sowing seed will not hurt buy a bag of hardy seed ,spend the extra

greencreeper
28-06-2005, 00:09
Might be your equipment. Think of yourself as a barber and the grass as hair. You can go for the blunt scissors and hack out clumps, or you can go for the nice, sharp scissors and cut a little at time. In other words - is the mower blade sharp and set at the right height? Mow often rather than waiting for it to reach jungle height then going at it. Watering anything green during the day is a bad idea - can scorch the leaves.

Oh and I'm with the concrete approach. If your lawn is so small that you have to stand in next door's garden to turn the mower round, then just put down concrete. Or gravel - me likes gravel. Though the cats seem to think "Cooooooooo - giant litter tray", so you'll need a gun - pump-action water sort available from Argos :D

Kliro
28-06-2005, 00:11
As far as I know only female canine urine kills grass.

In our garden the grass grows much better where the dog wees, but this might be to do with the fact that we think dog urine kills the weevils (weevils eat yor grass roots :()

Halcyon
28-06-2005, 00:32
Ah yes the summer months arent exactly going to be nice to your new grass.
If you make sure that it is properly watered and left for a while for the water to soak in, it will help.

Good luck.

Nidge
28-06-2005, 05:09

In our garden the grass grows much better where the dog wees, but this might be to do with the fact that we think dog urine kills the weevils (weevils eat yor grass roots :()

That is correct, female urine is much stroger.

Defo the dog - my new puppy has turned about 1/2 the lawn brown! Nothing you can do about it!

Just keep it well wet it will grow back before you know it. Steer clear of all fertilisers they burn your grass before it grows back. I had some Rowlawn turf a few years ago, that went the same way I just kept it wet for about 3 weeks, after it was like a lush green carpet.

Also make sure your blades are sharp on your mower, blunt blades can be the downfall of new turf.

SMHarman
28-06-2005, 09:45
If you really care for your lawn you can water the dogs water when they water the grass and dilute it, preventing brown patches.

Jules
28-06-2005, 14:57

Nope not true my neighbour has 2 seven month old male dogs and her grass has more brown patches than enough now

greencreeper
28-06-2005, 19:04
If you really care for your lawn you can water the dogs water when they water the grass and dilute it, preventing brown patches.
Or you can water the dog with the view to establishing a link between peeing on master's lawn and getting a soaking, thus discouraging the dog.

Kliro
28-06-2005, 20:49
Nope not true my neighbour has 2 seven month old male dogs and her grass has more brown patches than enough now

Suppose it depends on their food, (my dog eats better than me, and I'm not joking)

In an effort to appear non off-topic :

What about some of that green lawn stuff shown on TV?? Is it just a gimmick?

Go into wilkos, they have all sorts of stuff for everything, and nicely priced aswell.