PDA

View Full Version : /dramatic - Washing machine dies in a cloud of smoke!

Caspar
27-06-2005, 14:50
Unfortunately, my washing machine died yesterday...in literally a cloud of smoke! We heard a LOUD banging noise and when we went to investigate the strange new noise from the W/M you could see a boom of smoke! :(

My situation is that we bought the machine from dixons 4.5 years ago. We bought insurance cover at the time which covered upto and inc the 3rd year,(added 2 years to manu cover). So there's no chance in getting it repaired under cover.

So my question is were we too hasty in just nipping out and buying a new one and not looking to get this one fixed?

You see, and no offence to anyone in the trade but I simply don't trust peeps fixing stuff, esp which including callout fees and strange peeps in my house! (Hmm, are they casing the house I ask myself :rolleyes: )

..also, there's the concern of the parts costs on top of labour costs. A new motor something like £150 I've heard??? So getting this one fixed could cost £200! :disturbd:

So, we decided to buy new, with a new manu guarantee. Housepoint, or whatever they are called (big name just forget it's name! (good marketing that! :monkey: )) were having a weekend deal on machine and we saw the one we wanted. Over the road Dixons had the same machine for £499.99 :Yikes: ..which is the latest generation of the one that just broke. Housepoint were doing the same machine for £399.99 (Hotpoint Ultima WG645 1600 spin) :D ...and they were the 1400 spin for £299.99 ...so we bought that one! ;) :D

So two questions, were we too hasty in getting a new one and not trusting someone fixing our current one (and who would fix it?)

And, we paid £10 to Housepoint to remove our current w/m. Could I sell this current machine somewhere...esp if it's only a drum or motor that's blown? seems bloody silly to pay someone to take it away and allow them to refit it and sell it for £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£!

Thoughts?

orangebird
27-06-2005, 14:54
Unfortunately, my washing machine died yesterday...in literally a cloud of smoke! We heard a LOUD banging noise and when we went to investigate the strange new noise from the W/M you could see a boom of smoke! :(

My situation is that we bought the machine from dixons 4.5 years ago. We bought insurance cover at the time which covered upto and inc the 3rd year,(added 2 years to manu cover). So there's no chance in getting it repaired under cover.

So my question is were we too hasty in just nipping out and buying a new one and not looking to get this one fixed?

You see, and no offence to anyone in the trade but I simply don't trust peeps fixing stuff, esp which including callout fees and strange peeps in my house! (Hmm, are they casing the house I ask myself :rolleyes: )

..also, there's the concern of the parts costs on top of labour costs. A new motor something like £150 I've heard??? So getting this one fixed could cost £200! :disturbd:

So, we decided to buy new, with a new manu guarantee. Housepoint, or whatever they are called (big name just forget it's name! (good marketing that! :monkey: )) were having a weekend deal on machine and we saw the one we wanted. Over the road Dixons had the same machine for £499.99 :Yikes: ..which is the latest generation of the one that just broke. Housepoint were doing the same machine for £399.99 (Hotpoint Ultima WG645 1600 spin) :D ...and they were the 1400 spin for £299.99 ...so we bought that one! ;) :D

So two questions, were we too hasty in getting a new one and not trusting someone fixing our current one (and who would fix it?)

Not at all. Considering you can buy new machines now for less than £200 with at least a years guarantee, what's the point in saving fifty quid???

And, we paid £10 to Housepoint to remove our current w/m. Could I sell this current machine somewhere...esp if it's only a drum or motor that's blown? seems bloody silly to pay someone to take it away and allow them to refit it and sell it for £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£!

Thoughts?

I wouldn't have thought so. Then again, I wouldn't buy a working second hand machine, let alone a broken one... :)

handyman
27-06-2005, 14:59
Not at all. Considering you can buy new machines now for less than £200 with at least a years guarantee, what's the point in saving fifty quid???

But why buy a substandard £200 washer that wont last 4.5 years when a simple repair on your good one would give you better performance and reliability?

I'm sure casper could have got IADOM over to repair it of could have asked on the forum and I would have given him info on how to fix it. I could have been a wire thats rubbed and worn through the protective cover and gone bang which would be a 50p DIY repair.

Also if you call a local SH washing machine place they will no doubt have picked it up and GAVE you £10 or possibly more.
HM

Chris
27-06-2005, 15:00

I can't wait for Iadom to catch up with this thread ... :D

Jules
27-06-2005, 15:01
Depends how much you use it eg do you have kids etc

SMHarman
27-06-2005, 15:02
A big noisey bang and a cloud of smoke - sounds like the concrete block disintegrated.

Paul K
27-06-2005, 15:05
Could always get the back off for a look, it could be something obvious (concrete block, motor, dead hamster on electric wiring etc) and you might be able to get it put right very easily.

Caspar
27-06-2005, 15:07
Depends how much you use it eg do you have kids etc..yep a 5 month old...at the mo she only have (as you can imagine) a few smalls..but now that she has [just] started eating solid food she needs changing after every meal!!!...messy pig! :angel: so the existing 1 day wash will quickly turn into 2 a day :Yikes:

Could always get the back off for a look, it could be something obvious (concrete block, motor, dead hamster on electric wiring etc) and you might be able to get it put right very easily.TBh, I wouldn't have a clue what to look for! :rolleyes: any clues.....like will there be a sign saying "I am broken!" :erm: :angel:

Jules
27-06-2005, 15:07
In that case I would have also gone for a new one

Caspar
27-06-2005, 15:08
A big noisey bang and a cloud of smoke - sounds like the concrete block disintegrated.Why is there concrete in a washing machine!??? :erm:

Jules
27-06-2005, 15:09
To weight the drum it is standard practise

Caspar
Also, what's the average life of a washing machine...i.e. how long have you had yours? We paid £500 4.5 years ago...which seems expensive to me :( Will I be replacing this in another 4/5 years?

I thought 10 years was the magic number when it comes to home repairs?

danielf
Why is there concrete in a washing machine!??? :erm:

To stop it from bouncing all over the kitchen...

Chris
27-06-2005, 15:10

To stop it walking across your kitchen every time it does a spin cycle.

Angua
Last washing machine I had repaired cost £45 including parts 18 months ago. It was a reconditioned Servis we had already had for 3 years. It might be worth finding out at your local second hand place which machines they will take (if they will take a particular sort it usually means they are fairly easy to maintain and problem free).

You should also find out what your local council charges to take stuff away (ours would have only charged £6 for up to 4 items, I was quoted £30 to take away our old tumble dryer via the manufacturers:Yikes:.

Chimaera
A big noisey bang and a cloud of smoke - sounds like the concrete block disintegrated.Why is there concrete in a washing machine!??? :erm:
To hold it down when it spins - I can still remember the day my Dad thought it was packing material and removed it...... :rofl: The sight of him thowing himself across the washing machine and watching him travel round on it like a Bucking Bronco (and getting thrown off!) will remain with me forever!

Caspar
27-06-2005, 15:11
To weight the drum it is standard practiseThe thing was still spinning fine...it's just there was smoke coming out of the machine. I switched it off...and when I opened the door your could smell rubber, enough to want to leave the room.

handyman
27-06-2005, 15:13

There are normally 2 blocks of concrete, One on top and one below the drum.
This added weight is required to make sure when the washer goes into a 1200rpm spin with a load of towels in your washing machine does not rip your kitchen to little pieces.

Why not unplug the washer, remove the lid and back panel and take some photos, maybe we would be able to spot somethng out of the ordinary.

Also what part in the wash cycle did this happen?

Fill/tumble/drain/fill/rinse tumble/drain/fill/rinse tumble/drain/spin...

etccarmageddon
27-06-2005, 15:13
my mother has an old washing machine she's looking to flog/get rid of - it's only 1000 spin but is a Bosch. If your new one doesnt work out, pm me if you want one that works!

handyman
27-06-2005, 15:14
Caspar if you can smell rubber then its probably the belt come loose and rubbing on something. a new belt will be under £10 and can be fit in seconds.

Caspar
27-06-2005, 15:15
There are normally 2 blocks of concrete, One on top and one below the drum.
This added weight is required to make sure when the washer goes into a 1200rpm spin with a load of towels in your washing machine does not rip your kitchen to little pieces.

Why not unplug the washer, remove the lid and back panel and take some photos, maybe we would be able to spot somethng out of the ordinary.
I will take the back off of it tonight and see what happens :)

Also what part in the wash cycle did this happen?

Fill/tumble/drain/fill/rinse tumble/drain/fill/rinse tumble/drain/spin...It had 2 mins left on the countdown, so the final spin.

handyman
27-06-2005, 15:18
I'll be about all day, though it does sound like a belt problem.

What model/make is your washer?

Nemesis
27-06-2005, 15:20
When you tried it again, did the drum move ?

Try setting it on a "nearly finished setting, do you hear the pump ?

This does sound like a broken belt. Certainly worth checking out.

SMHarman
27-06-2005, 15:22
To stop it dancing around when it spins.

zoombini
27-06-2005, 15:27
all a bit pointless now as you have bought a new one.
unless you still have it & have not had the new one delivered yet.
might still be time to check the belt & then tell comet that it will not fit in the space for it & ask for a refund. :D

Caspar
27-06-2005, 15:30
I'll be about all day, though it does sound like a belt problem.

What model/make is your washer?
I won't be home until 7pm...so will take some photos then :)

The broken one is a Hotpoint something, will let you know tonight :)

When you tried it again, did the drum move ?

Try setting it on a "nearly finished setting, do you hear the pump ?

This does sound like a broken belt. Certainly worth checking out.
We didn't turn it back on...with all the smoke and all :erm:

all a bit pointless now as you have bought a new one.
unless you still have it & have not had the new one delivered yet.
might still be time to check the belt & then tell comet that it will not fit in the space for it & ask for a refund. :DWe bought a new one...and will be delivered on Thursday. If there's an obvious problem then I'll seek to get that fixed :)

Ramrod
27-06-2005, 15:45
Why is there concrete in a washing machine!??? :erm:pmsl........if you need to ask that then on no account should you take the top off the washing machine :D

Caspar
27-06-2005, 15:48
pmsl........if you need to ask that then on no account should you take the top off the washing machine :DDon't worry, give it to 7.05pm and I'll be asking where the screws are to remove the back! ;) :rofl: :monkey:

paulyoung666
27-06-2005, 15:56
could be almost anything :erm: , how about the motor brushes going , 4.5 years is a decent imho opinion without problem , something like £2 / week :)

handyman
27-06-2005, 16:08
Don't worry, give it to 7.05pm and I'll be asking where the screws are to remove the back! ;) :rofl: :monkey:

There are 2 screws that hold the lid at the back , remove them then grip the lid either side and then drag it back a few cm. It will then lift straight off.

also there should be a smaller back panel with 4 screws. If its circular then remove 3 and loosen one if its square do the same but remove the panel.

hth

allieyoung666
27-06-2005, 16:33
Be careful!! And dont forget to disconnect it from the mains!!

Maggy
27-06-2005, 16:48
Look you need a washing machine with children in the house so don't worry about it. ;)

I frankly have to beat my husband away from the washing machine if and when it breaks down because he fixes it 'until' the 'next time'.We stagger from disaster to disaster.I hate being married to a leccy at times. My last washing machine lasted 10 years and was really bad at the end.Same happened with my drier. :(

Anyway washing machines are so much better than they were even if they do cost half the price.

zoombini
27-06-2005, 17:01
Same here Incog, only it's me that gets the beating :D

There is a patch of rust on our machine & that is enough for er indoors to want a new one.

I'll be replacing the seal shortly in order to get a few more years life yet.

Caspar
27-06-2005, 17:02
I'm quite looking forward to prodding the back of my washing machine now! ;) :D (with the lecie off of course, hey Allie! ;) )

..but until then...let's talk new washers! :wowthemostexcitingtopiconearthsmilie:

On a serious note, we were dead confused when looking at new washing machines (not including dryers). They all seemed to basically do the same thing! The only thing that was different was the spin speed, (1600,1400, 1200, 1000 rpm).

So why do some cost £500 and the cheapest £199... and how can dyson get away with charging £800 and £1,000 for their offerings??? How can they be any better (although I can quickly see they offer a 50% larger drum size and have this double drum thingy-ma-bob).

On the level, why do some cost £500 and others cost £200 when they basically do the same thing?

We only went for the one we did cause it's the later generation of our existing one.

Paul K
27-06-2005, 17:07
Hope you don't have a machine with those special "star" shaped screwheads that are supposed to deter the general public from opening the machines....... not as though you can't still get into them though ;)

Jules
27-06-2005, 17:10
All you need from a washer is a fast spin speed and a decent size drum all these with loads of programs are a waste of money as you only ever end up useing 4 or 5 of them at the most

Ramrod
27-06-2005, 17:12
I'm quite looking forward to prodding the back of my washing machine now! ;) :D (with the lecie off of course, hey Allie! ;) )

..but until then...let's talk new washers! :wowthemostexcitingtopiconearthsmilie:A little pricey but you can't go far wrong with Miele (http://www.miele.co.uk/) :tu: :)

Maggy
All you need from a washer is a fast spin speed and a decent size drum all these with loads of programs are a waste of money as you only ever end up useing 4 or 5 of them at the most

So true! :tu:

Caspar
All you need from a washer is a fast spin speed and a decent size drum all these with loads of programs are a waste of money as you only ever end up useing 4 or 5 of them at the mostWe seem to use timer delay, alot!...and I like having a programme countdown [until it finishes] :)

...having a digital display is fancy too! :angel:

Jules
27-06-2005, 17:14
Boys and there toys lol

handyman
27-06-2005, 19:09
trouble with the cheaper machines is they use cheap motors with cheap electrical components and are very poorly built. A miele machine has motor designed for 15 years family work but as a consequence the washing machines start at around £500.

I would not hesitate in recommending them.

Caspar
27-06-2005, 19:30
ok the machine is a Hotpoint Ultima Extra 'Power Stream', WMA63. And I see now way to get the top off of it, there are no screws and is firmly inplace. There are two button type things on the side, but do not press in. The back is solid and does not look like it can be removed.

Any ideas? :)

handyman
27-06-2005, 19:34
'button type things'? are they covering up screws?

paulyoung666
27-06-2005, 19:45
ok the machine is a Hotpoint Ultima Extra 'Power Stream', WMA63. And I see now way to get the top off of it, there are no screws and is firmly inplace. There are two button type things on the side, but do not press in. The back is solid and does not look like it can be removed.

Any ideas? :)

just pulled our wma 76 out and indeed the buttons are screw covers , and as i suspected the screws are of the torx variety :( , however , you may get away with a flat blade screwdriver if you have one that will fit snugly , as for the back of the machine , i am not sure , i will have another look in a minute :)

Caspar
27-06-2005, 19:48
'button type things'? are they covering up screws?They sure are! :LOL: am I coming accross like a complete moron or something! :LOL: :rofl: :)

There's screws under there, but they are funny headed, not triangular but maybe diamond shaped :( I don't think I have one of them heads :( Will take a looksie :)

just pulled our wma 76 out and indeed the buttons are screw covers , and as i suspected the screws are of the torx variety :( , however , you may get away with a flat blade screwdriver if you have one that will fit snugly , as for the back of the machine , i am not sure , i will have another look in a minute :)Yeah confirm that...I'll try all the screwdriver heads I have...got one of those multi-head kits...so my luck is still up! :)

paulyoung666
27-06-2005, 19:49
They sure are! :LOL: am I coming accross like a complete moron or something! :LOL: :rofl: :)

There's screws under there, but they are funny headed, not triangular but maybe diamond shaped :( I don't think I have one of them heads :( Will take a looksie :)

see the post above your last one :) , at the base of the back panel there appears to be a white plastic panel that will come off to possibly get at the motor / belt / pump etc , good luck :disturbd: :D :D :D

Nidge
27-06-2005, 20:13
trouble with the cheaper machines is they use cheap motors with cheap electrical components and are very poorly built. A miele machine has motor designed for 15 years family work but as a consequence the washing machines start at around £500.

I would not hesitate in recommending them.

They look a good machine, I've got a Hotpoint we got it from Comit 2 years ago, we've had the engineers out 4 times in 1 year to repair it.

Caspar
27-06-2005, 21:35
Ok, I removed the top and all looked ok..no scorched earth and all wires looked properly connected.

I've taken the bottom half of the back off, thanks Paul :), and see attached the pics of the motor and belt.

The belt is securely on and again no scorched earth.

There's a lot of rust looking substance, as you can see, with a pool below it...but fail to see how that can have caused such a dramatic bang and smoke.

I've put the machine on a quick spin, will go and check it now :) (p.s. I do hope it's not burning down my kitchen as we speak, maybe I should stop making jokes and go and check! ;))

Any ideas?

:Sprint:

paulyoung666
27-06-2005, 21:37
the belt is obviously ok , does the drum turn freely when you spin it by hand ???? :)

Paul K
27-06-2005, 21:45
There's a lot of rust looking substance, as you can see, with a pool below it...but fail to see how that can have caused such a dramatic bang and smoke.

Is it a pool of water? It could be that you have a leak within the machine and water has dropped on something. Is the motor still working? Could be worth running it through it's longest cycle while it is open to see if it will run all the way through.

Keytops
27-06-2005, 21:46
Water leak = Rust
Water + Electricty = Bang.

handyman
27-06-2005, 21:54
It looks like your bearings have gone on the main drum, since its a hotpoint you have a 5 year parts g/tee. If you call hotpoint out its about £80 they will replace all of the outer drum and the bearings. You'll pretty much have a new washer again for £80.

Those new hotpoints are gash i'm afraid had it been a older one this would never have happened as the motor was mounted at the top of the washer. Also on the older ones the bearings could be replaced and they where only £10. I think a outer drum for a new hotpoint is over £200 now :eek:

Caspar
27-06-2005, 21:56
I've put it on the longest run, should finish about 11.20pm...I'll try and catch the end and see what it smells like.

Yes, the drum rotates freely and the machine sounds ok now.

It is not a pool of water just a few rust coloured splatters.

Will see what happens towards the end of the cycle :)

paulyoung666
27-06-2005, 21:58
if the main drum bearings have gone then should you not be able to feel a load of slogger if you get hold of the drum through the door and give it a good shaking :erm: , is it possible to replace a seal and not the whole drum assembly :)

handyman
27-06-2005, 21:59
is it possible to replace a seal and not the whole drum assembly :)

Not on the newer hotpoints. AFAIK

Caspar
27-06-2005, 22:00
It looks like your bearings have gone on the main drum, since its a hotpoint you have a 5 year parts g/tee. If you call hotpoint out its about £80 they will replace all of the outer drum and the bearings. You'll pretty much have a new washer again for £80.

Those new hotpoints are gash i'm afraid had it been a older one this would never have happened as the motor was mounted at the top of the washer. Also on the older ones the bearings could be replaced and they where only £10. I think a outer drum for a new hotpoint is over £200 now :eek:Why do you saying its the bearing..more to the point what are they?! :)

If I phoned up Hotpoint what should I say is the problem? Would they need to qualify me saying "it's a bearings problem, please replace the outer drum and bearings"? :)

Also, do you happend to have a phone number for hotpoint? :)

iain_herts
27-06-2005, 22:29
Service Repairs and Installations
Book a Service Call or Product Installation
Mon - Fri 8.00am - 8.00pm
Sat 8.00am - 6.00pm
Sun 10.00am - 4.00pm

08709 066 066
Book Online

Spare Parts and Accessories
Order Spare Parts and Accessories for your appliance
Mon - Fri 8.30am - 5.30pm
Sat 10.0am - 12.00pm 08709 077 077
Buy Online

Hotpoint Information Line
For any questions you have about Hotpoint products
Mon - Fri 8.30am - 12.30pm 1.30pm - 5.00pm 08701 50 60 70

Roy MM
27-06-2005, 22:53
Why do you saying its the bearing..more to the point what are they?! :)

If I phoned up Hotpoint what should I say is the problem? Would they need to qualify me saying "it's a bearings problem, please replace the outer drum and bearings"? :)

Also, do you happend to have a phone number for hotpoint? :)

To test the bearings, open door> put hand in> lift drum> if definate play/a obvious feel of play, bearing are borked, door seal can cause a leak that trickles on to the circuit board, can be saved tho.

Keytops
27-06-2005, 23:01
Have a peek at http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/diy-repair-help.html

Generally though, if a washing machine is rumbling and noisy on spin, the main suspect is the drum bearings. Drum bearing failure is common on washing machines due to water getting into them if the drum bearing seal fails. To check for drum bearing failure you can take the belt off and spin the drum by hand. If the drum rumbles when spun then the bearings have probably gone.

Another drum bearing failure symptom is excessive up and down play in the drum which can be checked for by lifting the drum up and down from the drum lip behind the door seal. A further symptom of drum bearing failure is a brown rust patch underneath the machine and down the back of the outer drum, underneath the drum pulley (where the belt goes) There are usually two small holes at the back of the drum bearings where water that has got past the drum bearing seal trickles out and it's usually stained with grease and rust.

I've only replaced the bearings seals in one machine before now and that was years ago. They were ceramic-like disc bearings held in with a silicon bath seal type of glue. Replacing them was easy.. getting hold of replacment bearings was next to impossable, as was getting the machine apart to get the drum out and get to the bearings in the first place.

budwieser
27-06-2005, 23:43
To test the bearings, open door> put hand in> lift drum> if definate play/a obvious feel of play, bearing are borked, door seal can cause a leak that trickles on to the circuit board, can be saved tho.

The circuit board is above the drum as far as i know. Just behind the controller. :angel:

Caspar
27-06-2005, 23:50
Generally though, if a washing machine is rumbling and noisy on spin, the main suspect is the drum bearings. Drum bearing failure is common on washing machines due to water getting into them if the drum bearing seal fails. To check for drum bearing failure you can take the belt off and spin the drum by hand. If the drum rumbles when spun then the bearings have probably gone.

Another drum bearing failure symptom is excessive up and down play in the drum which can be checked for by lifting the drum up and down from the drum lip behind the door seal. A further symptom of drum bearing failure is a brown rust patch underneath the machine and down the back of the outer drum, underneath the drum pulley (where the belt goes) There are usually two small holes at the back of the drum bearings where water that has got past the drum bearing seal trickles out and it's usually stained with grease and rust.

Yep, indeed that sounds like the problem...esp the rust :(

I'll phone up Hotpoint and see what they say about replacing the bearings :)

Thanks all :)

zoombini
28-06-2005, 08:49
yeah, but I bet that he don't actually play with that particular toy :D

handyman
28-06-2005, 09:27
these are bearings btw casper

http://www.motivegear.com/bearing/bearing.jpg

Caspar
28-06-2005, 10:18
ok, phoned Hotpoint Service and repair and they said they would charge me £89 in vat for parts and labour to fix the thing. Aslong as its within 5 years. So the wife's on a mission to find the reciept...from 4.5 years ago! :Yikes: If she finds it I'm going to cancel my new machine delivery from Powerhouse. I assume I can do that considering I haven't even taken delivery of it yet!... Is there a 7 day cooling off period?

This does beg a side question, why do we need to spend so much money on extended warranties to the retailer if we can just phone up the manufacturer and get them to fix it for a nominal fee?

paulyoung666
28-06-2005, 10:25
if you registered the machine with hotpoint then they can track you down as to when it was bought , hope it works out for you :tu: :)

Caspar
28-06-2005, 10:36
ok, someone's been an over eager silly boy!

Looking for the receipt it looks like I've got my dates wrong! It's only been 3.5 years since we bought it (Dec01) and we have a extended warranty cover which expires on 29 Dec of this year!

I've phoned up Curries' master care and have an engineer booked for tomorrow afternoon! (must remember to put the screws back on the backplate ;))

(Looking on the bright side I'm a year younger ;) )

Well at least I've given us all something to talk about :monkey:

I'll report back what the engineer says tomorrow :)

Nemesis
28-06-2005, 10:50
ok, someone's been an over eager silly boy!

Looking for the receipt it looks like I've got my dates wrong! It's only been 3.5 years since we bought it (Dec01) and we have a extended warranty cover which expires on 29 Dec of this year!

I've phoned up Curries' master care and have an engineer booked for tomorrow afternoon! (must remember to put the screws back on the backplate ;))

(Looking on the bright side I'm a year younger ;) )

Well at least I've given us all something to talk about :monkey:

I'll report back what the engineer says tomorrow :)

/me mumbles plonker :)

SMHarman
28-06-2005, 10:53
If you bought the new machine on line then you have the right to cancel for 14 days and then to rejuect under the distance selling rules.

zoombini
28-06-2005, 12:09
or quickly nip down to the store you bought the other off & explain the problem.

Caspar
28-06-2005, 12:29
Yeah, I phoned up PowerHouse and said I wanted to cancel, which they did no questions asked. :tu: :)

Paul K
28-06-2005, 12:53
Cool, mum has just cancelled an order after delivery lol. Currys said no problem since the original packaging is intact.

Caspar
28-06-2005, 13:12
Cool, mum has just cancelled an order after delivery lol. Currys said no problem since the original packaging is intact.Did she get her delivery cost back?

handyman
28-06-2005, 16:53
how can they charge a 'delivery cost' without actually delivering anything?

EDIT - just re read the post and understand now , doh

Paul K
28-06-2005, 16:56
Cool, mum has just cancelled an order after delivery lol. Currys said no problem since the original packaging is intact.Did she get her delivery cost back?
Nope since the company had to come out again to pick it up :( Cheaper than paying for the machine though lol

Jules
28-06-2005, 16:57
That is great news Casper let us know what happens :)

Graham
28-06-2005, 18:04
This does beg a side question, why do we need to spend so much money on extended warranties to the retailer if we can just phone up the manufacturer and get them to fix it for a nominal fee?

You don't!

*DO NOT* buy Extended Warranties, they are a waste of money and simply an excuse for the shop to get more money from you and the salesperson to get a nice commission!

Chimaera
28-06-2005, 18:12

You don't!

*DO NOT* buy Extended Warranties, they are a waste of money and simply an excuse for the shop to get more money from you and the salesperson to get a nice commission!
Unless you are exceptionally lucky like me, and buy a 'Friday afternoon' model. I am on first name terms with my washing machine engineer, after 6 visits from him to tend my poorly washing machine in almost 4 months! :eek: I now have a new one, free of charge due to to the extended warranty (which only cost £40 for 3 years) so for me it was worth it.
I couldn't recommend Hoover or Indesit (last washing machine) to anyone though! :td:

paulyoung666
28-06-2005, 19:03
I couldn't recommend Hoover or Indesit (last washing machine) to anyone though! :td:

indesit , i would rather have hot sharp needles poked in my eyes than buy one of those again :disturbd: :D :D :D

greencreeper
28-06-2005, 19:25
I think that's true for things like TVs and fridges - if they don't break down in the first year (under manufacturer's warranty), they never will. As for larger items, such as washing machines, I think it's best to purchase an extended warranty. It cost me less than £100 for a 4 year warranty on my washer. Can't go wrong really :shrug:

Caspar
28-06-2005, 19:51
You don't!

*DO NOT* buy Extended Warranties, they are a waste of money and simply an excuse for the shop to get more money from you and the salesperson to get a nice commission!I spent £150 on a 3 year extended warranty on a £499 washing machine. If I had not I would have been ok until now...first time in 3.5 years. However, I would now have had to spend £89 to fix this problem.

So on the plus side I agree with you if I decided against buying one...I would have saved myself £61. And this assumes I'll have no problems with the machine until 29th Dec 05.

But, in the disagreement camp, I would rather spend £50 a year (3 year extended on top of the 1 year manufacturer's year) knowing that if anything does go wrong they'll fix it without any outlay, and at a possible time where I couldn't afford to pay £89.

It's all swings and roundabouts and it's a big play on fears vs saving some money. Which is exactly what they play on. :(

Jules
28-06-2005, 20:18
My hotpoint washer needed fixing 5 times in the first year :( I now have a zanussi

Graham
28-06-2005, 21:56
for larger items, such as washing machines, I think it's best to purchase an extended warranty. It cost me less than £100 for a 4 year warranty on my washer. Can't go wrong really :shrug:

If you *do* feel you have to get an extended warranty, check if you can get them through your credit card or household insurance policy, because they will very probably be a lot cheaper.

budwieser
28-06-2005, 22:08
You don't!

Don`t forget though that the extended warranty also includes accidental damage and new for old so therefore, it is worth buying.!:D

Graham
28-06-2005, 22:11
Don`t forget though that the extended warranty also includes accidental damage and new for old so therefore, it is worth buying.!:D

Which may well be covered under your credit card or Household Insurance policies anyway.

budwieser
28-06-2005, 22:20
Which may well be covered under your credit card or Household Insurance policies anyway.
It won`t be covered after the first year on a credit card mate.

Angua
28-06-2005, 22:22
If you *do* feel you have to get an extended warranty, check if you can get them through your credit card or household insurance policy, because they will very probably be a lot cheaper.

Your insurance may offer a cheaper alternative or even one new item a year free.

On my first washing machine extended warranty would have cost around £150. In five years of life it only cost me £43 labour as there was a free replacement parts offer. Most machines will if not built badly in the first place will give around 3 years trouble free service then often it will be something simple to repair threafter, so not the huge cost the warranty sellers would have you belive.

paulyoung666
28-06-2005, 22:33
you pays your money and takes your chance , some times you win , sometimes you lose :)

Graham
29-06-2005, 00:50
It won`t be covered after the first year on a credit card mate.

Depending on the credit card, some cover it for an extra year after the expiry of the manufacturer's warranty.

Also you may get it free with the card or for a one-off payment covering an unlimited number of items.

SMHarman
29-06-2005, 11:17
you pays your money and takes your chance , some times you win , sometimes you lose :)With extended wwtys it's lose lose imho.
Most products will break down in year one or run for a long time until wear and tear starts to be a factor, at that point, often a mfr wwty will still offer a parts guarantee, so it is just the labour.

As pointed out mid way through this thread the mfr wwty will be fixing said washing machine for about £80, free parts, cost labour. So two such repairs would be necessary to cover the cost of the extended wwty.

The only extended wwty I buy is the 10 yr tube ggty on my panasonic TV, though being as they offer it I assume they are confident it will last 10 years.

Caspar
29-06-2005, 16:13
OK, the engineer has been and gone. :)

He told the wife within 5 mins of getting there and spinning the drum that the bearings had gone..but he spent 45 mins there... nattering she says..must be on the clock!

He basically confirmed what you guys said was the problem..bearing had gone :) He confirmed that by spinning the drum. I told the repair people what was wrong but they obviosuly don't believe their customers!

..and since they don't trust/believe their customers I am now without a machine until Monday :( ..saying that if they'd read my idiot posts on this thread I don't blame them for not believing me!!! :LOL:

So the bearing are gone and he says he'll order the parts and come back out on Monday to complete the "2 hour job".

I'm glad it's rainy so I'll go out for a walk...cause how else am I going to wash my clothes... ;)

Jules
29-06-2005, 17:05
I would have happily done it for you if you had lived nearer :(

Paul K
29-06-2005, 17:10
OK, the engineer has been and gone. :)
He basically confirmed what you guys said was the problem..bearing had gone :) He confirmed that by spinning the drum. I told the repair people what was wrong but they obviosuly don't believe their customers!
Problem here is that they probably get a lot of people ringing up who believe they know what the fault is and engineers don't like carrying parts that they don't end up using. Monday isn't bad though, they are probably having to order parts in which is most likely why they didn't have them available for the engineer anyway.
At least your wait wasn't as long as ours for a working machine :(

paulyoung666
29-06-2005, 17:51
it is the same , all the time , unless it is something like a fuse that has gone , no-one is going to be able to carry all the parts for all the machines , still , i reckon you aint done bad at all :)

iadom
02-07-2005, 20:10
WOW, seven pages, sorry I missed this one folks, to be honest I have been spreading myself around a bit and spending a lot of time here (http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/index.php)

I don't want to be accused of spamming but it is an excellent place for advice on all your domestic appliance problems.
If you wish to PM me at any time on anything of a similar nature please feel free to do so.:)