PDA

View Full Version : Mangled bus shelter...

Scarlett
27-06-2005, 10:46
Was driving my wife into work this morning and I noticed (although TBH it wasn't exactly difficult) that one of the bus shelters in St Neots High street has been mangled. Well I say mangled, compleatly destroyed would be more accurate. There are boards over a window of both Powerhouse and Barclays bank and the roof of the shelter was some way up the path! I've still not got a clue as to what happened, it hasn't apparently made the local news websites yet. I'll post a link once I have it but so far nothing.

Scarlett
27-06-2005, 11:39
Apparently a Ford Mondeo crashed into it at 2:15am this morning.
It wasn't a ram raid, the driver lost control coming into town he also took out a bollard in the middle of the road too.

The driver broke his leg and is in hospital.

I dread to think what speed he was doing as the bus shelter is gone. Its just a mercy that it was 2:15 am and not the day time...

Jules
27-06-2005, 11:46
Any chance of any pictures?

Paul K
27-06-2005, 11:47
A lot of road "furniture" is designed to unmount from it's fixings or crumple on impact these days, it's probably one of the reasons why the driver only broke his leg :erm: Even road signs are being designed to detach from their fixings when hit nowadays, just makes a bit of a mess when they get hit though lol.

Nemesis
27-06-2005, 11:47

You're just sick you are, go on admit it .... :)

Jules
27-06-2005, 11:50
You're just sick you are, go on admit it .... :)

Now now Si you know you like it ;)

Scarlett
27-06-2005, 11:59

Nope, sorry. I don't have a working digi camara at the moment and there is months waiting list for the new nokia (6680) in the nearest orange store...

zoombini
27-06-2005, 13:18
here.
a Broken leg (http://www.emedicinehealth.com/images/4453/4453-4463-9005-25022tn.jpg)

That should help with the need for a pic :D

Jules
27-06-2005, 13:32
Lmao I meant pics of the damage to the street

greencreeper
27-06-2005, 19:48
Happened on Eastgate in Leeds - the bus stop just up from Greggs, outside the pawnbrokers. Number 56 levelled the bus stop. An hour later and it would have levelled about two dozen people as well. Life huh - all about timing :D

Mal
27-06-2005, 19:57
Happened on Eastgate in Leeds - the bus stop just up from GreggsAre the pies okay from that branch? :)

allieyoung666
27-06-2005, 20:03
It happened in Sunderland bus depot a couple of years ago, and yes it was a bus! But sadly the driver killed some old dear. And it happened quite recently in Mboro bus station, but nobody was hurt, he made a canny mess of the bus station like!

AndrewJ
27-06-2005, 22:54
We have a long downhill road right next to my house, buses here are old bangers P reg single decker things which have more faults then working parts. Recently one lost brakes going down and trashed a tanning lounge.

It was lucky it was empty as it was midnight but even though the shop is 4minutes walk away we heard the impact.

No one was hurt but the driver was spooked.

Perhaps :notopic: but thought i would share.

Halcyon
28-06-2005, 01:41
When I first started reading this I was thinking a bunch of Chav's had kicked it to bits, which is what normally happens.
Near my Uni they used to do that all the time and smash the glass.

Its good the car driver didnt get hurt badly and an excellent idea that they are creating road furniture to be more flexible and less damaging on impact.

greencreeper
28-06-2005, 01:45
Hmmm - the floppy lamposts. They did a test on one of the motoring programs, I think, where the bloke that makes them drove into one at about 50mph - and walked away. The car was still driveable, though a bit battered. The idea is that the post sort of folds and flattens under the car, like a tube of toothpaste being squeezed from the bottom upwards, absorbing the energy from the impact. Amazing to see.