PDA

View Full Version : [merged] Summer / Part Time Jobs

MadGamer
26-06-2005, 13:19
Ok, now that my GCSE's are finished, i thought i would look around again for some part time work as i have spare time. So i thought i would get in touch with Game and see if they had any part time work. I got a reply 24hrs later with this number indicating i need to call head office. Now my question is, as im only 17 will Game employ someone of my age? Its just i took into account that they have 18 rated games and things so i might not be able to.

Jules
26-06-2005, 13:23
I don't see why not as you get staff working in video shops and off licences etc when they are 16

Stuart
26-06-2005, 13:26
Depends on the company. Blockbuster (who I used to work for) don't employ anyone under 18.

Wayne: You'll need to check with Game, but I think they do. You will find you are not allowed to sell 18 rated games though (this is a legal requirement, not company policy).

MadGamer
26-06-2005, 13:36
Depends on the company. Blockbuster (who I used to work for) don't employ anyone under 18.

Wayne: You'll need to check with Game, but I think they do. You will find you are not allowed to sell 18 rated games though (this is a legal requirement, not company policy). Thats ok, just as long as they'll employ me

Steve H
26-06-2005, 13:45
If your after part time work, don't just look specifically at branches such as game, etc... These tend to offer the lowest pay and the crappiest hours because so they can get away with it as so many people want to work for them. (Student wise)

When I finished my GCSE's a few years ago, I started working for Initial contract cleaning, who were contracted out to M&S... I started on £4.50 an hour, a week after I started it rose to £5, up to until I quit about 8 monthes ago I was on £7 an hour to do cleaning. Hours were nice and flexible, and there was always some going. Granted it was usually a 5.30am start in the morning (Hated it at the time, but now I sooo wish I was back there, as I work nights in a bar which sucks big time)... but this meant you had all the rest of the day to yourself. If you can cope going in hungover on a saturday morning after being out on the razz then your onto a winner ;)

Sundays were also double time, so £10 an hour for doing a bit of cleaning :) Plus, with being contracted the shop where you work don't have any official power over you, your only really answerable to your area boss, which is kinda cool as you get hardly any **** for doing something wrong ;)

I'm now working in a bar, which fair do's you can't do at the minute, but I wouldn't really reccomend it anyway. Unsociable hours (I'm working 7-finish --- which is 3am at weekends!! .. and crappy pay £4.85 an hour. I now know what I left when I stopped working at M&S, and wish I could go back. I think part of me not liking the work at this bar though is the fact that it's a restraunt as well, and I hate waiting on people, plus the fact that my boss serves well beyond hours ;)

Anyway, what I'm trying to get across, is don't just set your sights on game. Look at other places, there may be better hours, and better pay. Yeah - you think game will be cool - cos your working in what you think a PC area, but in reality your only selling games, it's just shop work at the end of the day.

Ramrod
26-06-2005, 13:50
Careers at GAME (http://www.gamegroup.plc.uk/gg/careers/)

coventrycityfan
26-06-2005, 14:09
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has got any advice. i'm a 19 year old Uni Student currently looking for work till September.
However so far i have found things very difficult to say the least:
I've been looking in the paper where i have found things
When i've found things i've got appication forms coming through the post i've filled them out straightaway, i don't sometimes get a response back from the company
Also i've rang various companys where positions are available and some even don't bother to ring me back when promised
All in all i'm getting a bit fustrated but i'm working very hard to try and get a job till September.
can anyone advise me on what to do?

Angua
26-06-2005, 14:12
Join a temping agency. They may have something for a week or two at a time or just through to September. Make sure you can do a whole week at a time though (they prefer that).

Good luck

Tezcatlipoca
26-06-2005, 14:13
Join a temping agency. They may have something for a week or two at a time or just through to September. Make sure you can do a whole week at a time though (they prefer that).

Good luck

I'll second that. Get yorself on the books of a few different temp agencies.

I did agency work during my summer hols when I was at uni. Much easier than trying to find work yourself when you only want a job for a short period.

Angua
26-06-2005, 14:16
I expect it may be similar to supermarkets where under 18 staff have to get the OK to put alchohol through the till.

MadGamer
26-06-2005, 14:16
Believe it or not i also tried PC World, but its too far for me to travel.

Maggy
26-06-2005, 14:39
It's good that you are trying for a job.So many don't bother before college. :)

Dave Stones
26-06-2005, 14:41
you really shouldn't narrow yourself down to one or two stores like that... apply everywhere, left right and centre, if you are really set on getting a job...

coventrycityfan
26-06-2005, 16:33
Cheers both for advice,
I have used enployment agencies before and to be honest i didn't really like that, However i have joined a couple of these and have heard nothing back

Halcyon
26-06-2005, 16:42
Have you looked at your Uni ?
Often they are looking for sudents to do the phones and do college tours for new prospective students.
Sometimes they do confernces too for businesses seeing as the place is empty during the summer and require people to set up and organise meals.

OinkyBoinky
26-06-2005, 17:20
I work in Debenhams, and in our store.. we used to have game there as a concession.. and they had a couple of part time people who were 16 and 17.... a boy and girl who's just finished school...

so yeah game will, or used to employ under 18s..

If your after part time work, don't just look specifically at branches such as game, etc... These tend to offer the lowest pay and the crappiest hours because so they can get away with it as so many people want to work for them. (Student wise)

so true!!!

When i started in debenhams they gave me a ridiculous £3.87 per hour... and 7.5 hours a week... they only gave me a pay rise when i threaten to quit :D... I'm still on a crappy £4.20 tho.. and will probably quit debenhams soon.. they're such a crap company internally... offer and promise you so much but never deliver...

I'm starting my new job tomorrow... i'm gonna be making medical supplies for these (http://www.smiths-medical.com/) dudes... i'll get a starting wage of £5.69 that will go up after my first 3 months probation... and i'll be getting an extra 20% per day cos i'll be working "unsociable hours" or sumthin i think...

Jules
26-06-2005, 17:21
Oh good luck with your new job :)

coventrycityfan
26-06-2005, 17:42
well at my uni they have an online service called WebCT and they have a jobs section on there which i look at reguarly

nffc
26-06-2005, 23:11
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has got any advice. i'm a 19 year old Uni Student currently looking for work till September.
When i've found things i've got appication forms coming through the post i've filled them out straightaway, i don't sometimes get a response back from the company
Also i've rang various companys where positions are available and some even don't bother to ring me back when promised
All in all i'm getting a bit fustrated but i'm working very hard to try and get a job till September.

Difficult to say really. Have a look in the local papers see if there's anything... you really should be looking at call-centre type thingies, things that look temporary.

Places are rubbish at getting back to you if they're not interested, agencies are just plain rubbish because of the "name on file and sit and do f all" factor"... you're going to have to set your sights onto something that just pays money that you may or may not enjoy... bar work/call centres/things like that. You're only going to be doing it until september but don't tell them that- it will put them off: this also means you don't HAVE to enjoy it either.

Caspar
27-06-2005, 14:56
Hello,
Where are you based? If you are in the region of Manchester then I can organise an interview for the Call Centre I work for ;)

coventrycityfan
27-06-2005, 15:13
mate i live in Coventry in the West Midlands

Caspar
27-06-2005, 15:36
mate i live in Coventry in the West MidlandsBad luck then! :rofl: :)

MovedGoalPosts
27-06-2005, 15:41
I suspect that's why he is a coventrycityfan not a manchesterunitedfan

/goes off to wash his mouth out with soap and water :Sprint:

Caspar
27-06-2005, 15:46

/goes off to wash his mouth out with soap and water :Sprint:Yeah, I wanted to assume he lived local to the team but who knows in this day :) ...peeps move house in their lives but still support their home town ;) ... and you know a lot of Asia peeps follow Manu and Liverpool.... ;)

punky
27-06-2005, 15:53

/goes off to wash his mouth out with soap and water :Sprint:

Now come on... When have you actually known a Man U fan to actually live in (or even near) Manchester?

Caspar
27-06-2005, 15:56
Now come on... When have you actually known a Man U fan to actually live in (or even near) Manchester?Don't they all live in China?