PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to return my cable modem?

_William_
26-06-2005, 14:16
Hey,

Apologies if this subject has been covered many times before, but I am due to leave my house in about 2 hours, and I am unsure what I am to do with my cable modem. Having spent the last year in a house with 4 others, we jointly held an account NTL, though the name of the account was in a member of the house who has now left. They have sorted out cancellation of the account, and I believe it takes affect by the end of the month. However, I am unsure as to what I should be doing with the cable modem itself, as the last member of the household still present, and not the registered account holder. Does the modem remain the property of NTL, or does it belong to the individual? Given that the house will be vacant by the end of the day, there is not really much scope for NTL to come and pick it up, so should I just remove it from the house, and contact NTL to see if they want me to return it to them, or should I just take it away, and shove it in a cupboard/throw it away? I am moving to a non-NTL area, so it will be of no use to me. It is only a cable modem we had, no STB, which I believe is a much more pressing item to return.

Many thanks,

a new poster!

Stuart
26-06-2005, 14:20
I believe that under the terms of the contract, the account holder has to make sure the modem is returned when the contract expires.

Legally, the modem is the property of ntl.

I believe you can either post it back to the, or drop it in at any ntl office.

Welcome btw..

Jules
26-06-2005, 14:21
Welcome to the forum:)

As far as I know it is up to the account holder to return it and yes it always belongs to NTL, I would have thought that if you remove it from the house or throw it away you would be liable for the cost of it.

I may be wrong and if I am some one with more knowledge than me will tell you what is best to do :)

danielf
26-06-2005, 14:23
Although you officially have to return it, NTL don't bother collecting modems as they are not very expensive. Use it as a doorstop...

When I cancelled NTL they sent someone over to collect the STB, and told me to bin the modem.

Jules
26-06-2005, 14:24
Pity they don't collect them and the STB's then maybe there would be less dodgy boxes and modems out there :(

danielf
26-06-2005, 14:26
Pity they don't collect them and the STD's then maybe there would be less dodgy boxes and modems out there :(

I'd be very wary of anyone collecting STD's :erm: :D

Jules
26-06-2005, 14:27
Pmsl opps sorry i will edit it :D

danielf
26-06-2005, 14:34
Pmsl opps sorry i will edit it :D

;)

Just to make sure: NTL do collect Set Top Boxes, they just don't collect the modems.

Marge
26-06-2005, 14:55
;)

Just to make sure: NTL do collect Set Top Boxes, they just don't collect the modems.

Yep, Danielf is correct in what he says. I think for the cost of sending a man in a van to collect the modems is not cost effective, just for the record analogue stb's are not collected either.

bob_builder
26-06-2005, 15:32
As others have said, NTL do not seem to collect cable modems. However, do not throw it away - keep it in case NTL decide they do want it back or you might have to pay!

_William_
27-06-2005, 20:23
Thanks for the help everyone. I've held onto the cable modem, and informed the former account holder that, I keep it, so that we can return it in the event of NTL asking for it back, felt it safer than leaving it at the mercy of the new tenants.