PDA

View Full Version : Getting Married

STONEISLAND
25-06-2005, 11:32
May sound a bit daft this is my last resort as getting very down about it.

Partner and I want to get Married before we have baby (shes pregnent) we are skint enougth as saving for baby. Parnents are also skint. The price for wedding and reception scares me as its many many pounds. We have lots of friends and it will cost many thousands of pounds.

I'm thinking of just my partner and I getting married behind family and friends back to save. Is this possible? I'm thinking Scotland? Anyone know of anywhere that will do that?

Anyone have suggestions or advise of how we can do this on a shoestring budget?

Help.

dilli-theclaw
25-06-2005, 11:34
Go to the restry office and get married there.

That would be the cheapest way.

shredder
25-06-2005, 11:39
i agree, go to a registry office, wouldn't do it behind your family's backs though, i suspect they'd be upset, and you'll need them once baby's born! just invite close friends and family, they'll understand your money issues, just go for a meal or a few drinks after with them there doesn't have to be a flash reception contrary to common belief that's not essential all that matters is that you, your wife and those you love are around you. good luck and congratulations!

Flubflow
25-06-2005, 11:46
Lavish reception parties, churches and expensive wedding outfits are not a legal requirement and are entirely optional.
I don't know what you mean about "behind family friends back to save". If you are both over 18 then get married at the local registry office. I think it will set you back anything from £30 - £120 or thereabouts depending on what size room you need for guests and whether it is a week day or a saturday.
If you are embarrassed about not being able to afford to lay on the ceremony & celebrations for the sake of family and friends then they can't be very understanding or perhaps you underestimate their understanding (if you bothered to explain your predicament to them).

Jules
25-06-2005, 11:49
As has been said don't do it behind your families backs as they will be very hurt, oh and it is cheaper to get married during the week and congratulations :)

Flubflow
25-06-2005, 11:51
Cancel your cable TV for a start. That would help the savings.

STONEISLAND
25-06-2005, 11:56
Thanks for kind words at a very stressfull time.
Registry office I like the idea of but my partner is catholic and likes the church idea. The only problem then is suites best man ushers eg eg eg = again money.
Reception venue is a nightmare again down to money.
Which is why I was thinking of doing it behide family as I dont invite them then close friends will not take ofence when they dont get an invite.

Its just a nightmare.

Cancel your cable TV for a start. That would help the savings.

:Yikes: No chance :disturbd:

Jules
25-06-2005, 11:57
Why not wait untill after the baby is born :)

Sounds like your partner wants a proper wedding

STONEISLAND
25-06-2005, 11:59
She is catholic wont look good having baby before married?

Bifta
25-06-2005, 12:00
Thanks for kind words at a very stressfull time.
Registry office I like the idea of but my partner is catholic and likes the church idea. The only problem then is suites best man ushers eg eg eg = again money.
Reception venue is a nightmare again down to money.
Which is why I was thinking of doing it behide family as I dont invite them then close friends will not take ofence when they dont get an invite.

Its just a nightmare.

:Yikes: No chance :disturbd:

Note: If your partner is catholic (like mine) then it's not just a matter of "liking" the church/chapel idea, for a practicing catholic it's a mortal sin to get married outside of the catholic church and the marriage will not be recognised as legitimate by her faith.

STONEISLAND
25-06-2005, 12:01
Note: If your partner is catholic (like mine) then it's not just a matter of "liking" the church/chapel idea, for a practicing catholic it's a mortal sin to get married outside of the catholic church and the marriage will not be recognised as legitimate by her faith.

Which is why its a nightmare with costs. As she does want the church wedding.

Bifta
25-06-2005, 12:03
Which is why its a nightmare with costs. As she does want the church wedding.

A religious ceremony doesn't have to cost much, you bung the priest a donation (whatever you can afford) slap some flowers in and invite as many people as humanly possible as you're not paying by the seat.

Jules
25-06-2005, 12:04
She is catholic wont look good having baby before married?

Seems to me you have 2 choices have a rush do before the baby is born or have the full works afterwards, I don't know were the catholic church stands on being pregnant before marrage. Seems a shame as it is meant to be her big day, how does she feel about it is she happy just going off some were and getting married or does she want a proper do?

Flubflow
25-06-2005, 12:05
Do you actually have to pay a church for a wedding or are you just sort of supposed to make a large donation?

Jules
25-06-2005, 12:06
They charge

shredder
25-06-2005, 12:08
i think close friends would understand if you said you were keeping it to family, or haow about saying no present and a contribution to your own usher/bridesmaids outfits instead? or you could hire a local sort of centre thingy which has it's own kitchen and do the food "buffet stylee" yourself ( i'm sure mother in laws would love to help on this bit..they always do!) even better have a summer wedding then go to a local park or even your garden and have some kind of picnic bbq thing, if you're around friends and family i think it'd be really nice!

use your imagination!

Ebay! there are suits and dresses on there, hey if you hire one from a shop it's just the same...just costs more!

cost my dad £500 pounds for the basics, but then that was a small village church, bells and organ player etc cost more on top of that.

STONEISLAND
25-06-2005, 12:09
Its really helpfull and given me good food for thought.

makikomi
25-06-2005, 12:12
Why not get married at a civil ceremony first - that will mean that you'll be wed before the baby comes.

Then start saving and have a confirmation/renewal of vows at a church at a later time. That way, you still have the special day in church with family and friends.

Flubflow
25-06-2005, 12:16
Maybe you could actually have a word with your local priest and explain the situation. If he has a caring bone in his body then he might do it for nowt.

EDIT: but you might have to promise to go to church twice a week for the rest of your life ;).

STONEISLAND
25-06-2005, 12:16
Why not get married at a civil ceremony first - that will mean that you'll be wed before the baby comes.

Then start saving and have a confirmation/renewal of vows at a church at a later time. That way, you still have the special day in church with family and friends.

With my partner being Cathlic can I do that?

shredder
25-06-2005, 12:23
i just found this on a website:

The church does not usually charge a fee for the priest's time, which does include some legal paperwork on your behalf, but a small donation £80 - £100 in an envelope is usually given to the priest at the end of the service by the bride's father. The flowers used to decorate the church are left as a token of thanks. Don't forget to invite him to your reception.

hmm is that true?

Jules
25-06-2005, 12:26
With my partner being Cathlic can I do that?

I think you should go and have a word with the priest but it use to be that to get married in a Catholic church you have to be Catholic, now I know your partner is but are you?

I think your first port of call has to be to see the priest

shredder
25-06-2005, 12:27
no it's different now, my dad got married in a catholic church, his wife is catholic, the "rules" state you or your partner should be catholic and you must agree to bring up your children in a catholic way. sorry forgot to add my dad is not catholic

Jules
25-06-2005, 12:29
Oh well there you go off to see the priest then and get the mums to do a buffet after wards...maybe you could even hire the church hall if they have one :)

Flubflow
25-06-2005, 12:30
I think you should go and have a word with the priest but it use to be that to get married in a Catholic church you have to be Catholic, now I know your partner is but are you?

I think your first port of call has to be to see the priest

I don't think that is a problem but they have some rule that you have to bring your children up as catholics.

punky
25-06-2005, 12:31
As she is catholic, the church shouldn't cost much, the hard part is finding one with availability before your partner gives birth.

Aside from that, very little is mandatory, mostly it is just fluff work to make the bride's day extra special. If she isn't bothered, you could save lots of money there. No need for custom made bridal gowns, they do decent bridal gowns off the shelf, for example. You can be quite creative in how you do it.

One thing you might want to consider: Traditionally in the run up to the wedding, the bride and bridgegroom set up a gift registry, which is a list of things they want, as wedding gifts. The two families and friends will get together and decide who is buying what. Instead of the normal stuff, which might be furniture, why not put things like the photographer, car, etc on the gift registry, so your financee still has a nice day but you don't have to pay for it. This works well if you already live together and have everything you need.

Chris W
25-06-2005, 12:34
why not have a small wedding now, and then in a few years when you have more money you can "reaffirm your vows" in a big posh ceremony if that is what you and your partner want.

I guess your partner can't be a particularly devout catholic if she is pregnant and unmarried...... ;)

Flubflow
25-06-2005, 12:38
I guess your partner can't be a particularly devout catholic if she is pregnant and unmarried...... ;)

I think she sort of was. She was following the bit about not being allowed to use contraception. ;).
Sorry skunk, just a little humour to lighten it up.

Bifta
25-06-2005, 12:45

Because the civil ceremony won't be recognised by the catholic church.

Graham
25-06-2005, 12:56
a small donation £80 - £100 in an envelope is usually given to the priest at the end of the service by the bride's father.

I'm sorry, but the idea of giving the Priest a few quid in a plain brown envelope just makes me :rofl: for some reason...! :D

Bifta
25-06-2005, 12:59
I'm sorry, but the idea of giving the Priest a few quid in a plain brown envelope just makes me :rofl: for some reason...! :D

I went to a christening in Dublin a couple of months ago, the babies father didn't even bother with an envelope, he managed to palm it to the priest while shaking hands, the look on the priests face when he realised was priceless

mdean
25-06-2005, 13:04
My strong advice is not to rush into things. Given you are living together and your partner is expecting she can't be too catholic. Marry in haste etc.

Just agree to a parental responsibility agreement to give you equal parental rights over the child.

If you must go for the ball and chain approach have a look here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=24

Found it while looking for some advice on divorce for a friend

STONEISLAND
25-06-2005, 15:40
Thanks all for help you have given me good advice and feel a little better for it.

littld
25-06-2005, 16:52
Not sure how much this is worth to you, but here goes.

I got married on a shoestring budget 11 years ago (I was unemployed at the time).

The wedding rings were second-hand, about £80 each. The church all-in cost £140. I went wearing my best suit. We spent £40 on flowers and had a reception in a themed pub. We provided sandwiches etc (about £100) and let people buy their own drinks.

Everyone said it was the best wedding ever, we had a great time. We're still together.

Lots of people I know who spent thousands getting married are now split up.

Good luck.

Bex
25-06-2005, 16:57
Oh well there you go off to see the priest then and get the mums to do a buffet after wards...maybe you could even hire the church hall if they have one :)

i agree with whyme here...... if you are dead set on a church weding (or your partner is anyway, then it seems the best solution.... also the post suggesting that you should get people not to buy pressies but ask for money towards the costs is a fair idea.

as someone said you can buy wedding dresses on ebay now.... so that gives you a possible way of finding a decent, but low cost wedding dress....

also you don't have to go mad on braidsmaids etc.... and you could buy dresses for them in places like BHS and Debenhams

congrates on the wedding and the baby :D

i seem to remember a thread before about something similar, and i think the best option to remember is that a wedding isn't about how much you spend, but the actual fact that you are getting married to the person you love in front of friends and family, whom you care about

Maggy
25-06-2005, 17:16
I got married 31 years ago.I had no money and had a civil ceremony.My sister after we had told the family that we weren't going to have a big wedding to save what money we did have insisted on paying for the reception.I suspect that IF you lay it out to the whole family they will rally round and give you the best day they can possibly manage between them. ;)

As for the church wedding go and see her priest and again be very frank as to your reasons for getting married and your circumstances and see what he has to say.I suspect that he will probably be able to come up with a way for you to do the right thing by the coming child and your wife to be without breaking the bank.

Then in 25 years time you can go back to church and have a second wedding with all the trimmings.That would give you both plenty of time to save up. ;)

Ramrod
25-06-2005, 17:28
We have large families but when we got married 9 years ago neither of us wanted a big wedding. We got married at Tonbridge Wells registry office and had a reception at the Royal Spa Hotel about a mile away.
We invited immediate family (parents, surviving gran, wife's brother and his g/f--so there were 9 in total). The hotel gave us a private room, food was excellent and booze was flowing freely. We decided to take the 2nd best room in the hotel 'cos it had a four-poster bed ;) :D ( the bridal suite didn't :rolleyes: )
The total bill (inc. breakfast the next day) came to £500.
We were really glad that we opted for a small ceremony and reception as it felt better--neither of us like being the centre of attention, and the added bonus was that certain relatives of mine didn't speak to me for years after :tu: :D

You have to remember that it's your marriage, not your relatives/friends--you can do what you want and they have to like it or lump it! Don't bend over backwards to please everyone but yourselves. I think it's awfull how much in debt many couples are at the outset of their married lives 'cos of the cost of the wedding. :(

Russ
25-06-2005, 18:01
Whatever you decide to do, don't forget to get the marriage acknowledged in the eyes of God ;) :D

Jules
25-06-2005, 18:02
Like I supposedly did and spent the next 13 years living in hell

Russ
25-06-2005, 18:07
Yeah, that's it :D

allieyoung666
25-06-2005, 18:14
We didnt have a lot of money when we got married, I already had one and was pregnant with the 2nd one. I am a catholic and had a ceremony in the us version of a regestry office, it was okay. I got my dress from a high street fashion store, I think it was about £20, my friend lent us the shoes, we got our rings from argos Pauls was £40 and Mine was £30, £25 for a single teir wedding cake as I hate cake, Pauls mum made the flowers Which came to £25 and I still have them and think there were 6 people at my wedding as I hate fuss and we went out for a meal later. I think the weeding came to about £150 if that and that included licenses and then when we came back we got the wedding blessed in the catholic church which Paul hated as he doesnt have a faith, but you could shop around charity shops and 2nd hand shops as they always have wedding dresses and white shoes in. Does it really matter if you do not get married in a church? Being together is all you need.

Jules
25-06-2005, 18:22
Does it really matter if you do not get married in a church? Being together is all you need.

Well said that is all that matters :)

allieyoung666
25-06-2005, 18:24
Thank you

Angua
25-06-2005, 18:24
Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. We managed 50 guests with a total cost including rings, dress, suit, cake, food, wine (sister in law did the photos) and a night away for £500 (I made my dress and the cake and did the catering with my mum). It will be 16 years in August, so I am fully aware prices will be higher now. Do you have a friendly landlord at a pub in the area as they can be most obliging especially on a weekday?

Whatever you decide make it what you "both" want otherwise resentment can set in and cause problems later on.

Talk to everone who could be involved. Most people love a challenge and will rise to the occasion and put themselves out to help. A wedding organised with such love and help should create a brilliant day.:tu::tu::tu:

Russ
25-06-2005, 18:30
Does it really matter if you do not get married in a church? Being together is all you need.

If that's what flicks your switch then fine :D

Tuftus
25-06-2005, 20:45
We didnt have a lot of money when we got married, I already had one and was pregnant with the 2nd one. I am a catholic and had a ceremony in the us version of a regestry office, it was okay. I got my dress from a high street fashion store, I think it was about £20, my friend lent us the shoes, we got our rings from argos Pauls was £40 and Mine was £30, £25 for a single teir wedding cake as I hate cake, Pauls mum made the flowers Which came to £25 and I still have them and think there were 6 people at my wedding as I hate fuss and we went out for a meal later. I think the weeding came to about £150 if that and that included licenses and then when we came back we got the wedding blessed in the catholic church which Paul hated as he doesnt have a faith, but you could shop around charity shops and 2nd hand shops as they always have wedding dresses and white shoes in. Does it really matter if you do not get married in a church? Being together is all you need.

Bless.

Good for you!!!

:)

Bifta
25-06-2005, 20:59

If his partner is a practicing catholic (which you clearly weren't) of course it matters, marriage for a catholic is a holy sacrament.

Scarlett
25-06-2005, 21:15
Well we got married in a church* and had a big (ish) reception. (100 + guests) and a 10 day honeymoon** my advice would be to make da*n sure that you have control at each and every stage. We did and even on the day I was Directing things***.

Scarlett.

p.s.But we're going to be paying for it for the next 5 years (loan was taken in parents name!, 4 years to go!)

At the end of the day no matter what you spend, make dam* sure your getting what you want.

*We're both non practicing christians but there was no way we were going to a registary office.

* yep a whole 10 days before dad came chasing me for the money!****

***My brother wasn't in any control on his birthday and he had a big reception in a hotel but it was paid for by the father in law so he had no say...

****Humour

Ramrod
25-06-2005, 21:19
p.s.But we're going to be paying for it for the next 5 years (loan was taken in parents name!, 4 years to go!)Thats just it though--I'd hate to start my married life in debt!

Jules
25-06-2005, 22:11
5 years of debt for one day and a 10 holiday? I know it is meant to be a special day but it would spoil it for me knowing how much it all cost

Ramrod
25-06-2005, 23:29
5 years of debt for one day and a 10 holiday? I know it is meant to be a special day but it would spoil it for me knowing how much it all costDamn right! :(

Especially when one of the top causes for arguments in a marriage is money!

punky
25-06-2005, 23:36
I can't understand this whole thing about weddings. Paying upto £10,000 s for 1 day, that everyone else will enjoy.

If you are going to spend £10,000 s, instead of 1 day for everyone else, why not spend it £150 on the actually legal wedding, and the rest on the most awesome 2-3 week honeymoon for the bride and bridegroom to enjoy?

My ideal wedding would be me and my financee on a beach in the carribean. My immediate family, and her immediate family only. The rest of the hangers on can wait til we get home, for a BYOB party, if they want to celebrate it so much. I'd be really lucky to find a girl who'd be cool with that though, they are near enough impossible to find.

danielf
25-06-2005, 23:42
p.s.But we're going to be paying for it for the next 5 years (loan was taken in parents name!, 4 years to go!)

Bluddy hell!

The gf and I will be popping down the registrar's office some time later this year with two close friends, followed by a posh meal. Parents will be notified after the fact.

It's between her and me really. We don't feel there's any need to involve half the world...

Edit: I should add, we've been together for nearly 10 years, so we are clearly committed to each other.

SMHarman
26-06-2005, 09:11
Not much to add... As many have shown, you can do a wedding for very little money, church wedding and a reception in a pub or home or something like that with a buffet not a full sit down meal. Pay for a some bottles of fizz for the speeches and then it's a pay bar for the guests.

The other thing I would say is make sure you do include your families if you would usually, they will be hurt and upset if they are not there. They should just be happy you are commiting to oneanother and not putting your life in hock so can provide for the baby.

shredder
26-06-2005, 12:30
I can't understand this whole thing about weddings. Paying upto £10,000 s for 1 day, that everyone else will enjoy.

If you are going to spend £10,000 s, instead of 1 day for everyone else, why not spend it £150 on the actually legal wedding, and the rest on the most awesome 2-3 week honeymoon for the bride and bridegroom to enjoy?

My ideal wedding would be me and my financee on a beach in the carribean. My immediate family, and her immediate family only. The rest of the hangers on can wait til we get home, for a BYOB party, if they want to celebrate it so much. I'd be really lucky to find a girl who'd be cool with that though, they are near enough impossible to find.

Sounds like a plan to me ;)

STONEISLAND
27-06-2005, 08:39
Went to her mums lastnight feel little better about as they say not to worry things will be sorted.

Just so much stress on OUR big day.

Just want to say thanks for all your ideas you all have given me inspiration of what I can do.

I will keep you posted.

Jules
27-06-2005, 10:52
I am glad you are feeling better about it and I hope you enjoy the day it's self :)

Chris
27-06-2005, 11:44
I went to a christening in Dublin a couple of months ago, the babies father didn't even bother with an envelope, he managed to palm it to the priest while shaking hands, the look on the priests face when he realised was priceless

As a former treasurer of a university Christian Union, I was quite proud of my cash-palming skills :D I don't think anyone ever caught me out handing the gift to one of our visiting speakers - even though, after a while, some people became determined to catch me at it.

On topic ... Bare minimum fuss, with bare minimum pre-planning, is to get married in Scotland because the law is different and you don't need to have been resident in a town for a period of time before being married there. That's why Gretna Green is a traditional place to elope to, although it is now so popular that you couldn't get a date there at short notice.

Bearing in mind your need to have an RC church wedding, I'd say a midweek date at your local one is what you need, and as others have said, seeing as you already live together and presumably are fine for toasters, plates and towels, ask a small number of family/friends to a dinner afterwards, for which they will pay as they wedding gift to you.

Alternatively, why not put baby stuff down on your wedding gift list, and then use some of the cash you were saving to buy it yourselves on a small reception?

allieyoung666
27-06-2005, 11:58
The only reason I did not get married in a catholic church was because were we were did not have any churches like that, I am a practicing catholic as soon as I came home I had the wedding blessed and I went to confession and told the priest why. And he thanked me for being honest and that he would be delighted to do the ceremony for me. A lot of catholic priests are clued up on modern society and do accept todays changes. And I do go to church every Sunday as it is special for all the family. So do what you feel is right for you, do not be pressured into any expensive dos, you have a child on the way and should really be getting everything for the child.

orangebird
27-06-2005, 12:15
I'm kind of confused/bemused: You live 'in sin', you're obviously having premarital sex, and now she's carrying an illegitimate child - and she's fussed on a RC wedding? :erm:

SMHarman
27-06-2005, 12:18
Thats modern catholosim for you.

orangebird
27-06-2005, 12:22
Thats modern catholosim for you.

No, IMO it's sheer hypocrasy, and nothing but the want for a meringue dress and 'her day' in church (and not for religious reasons). All IMO. :)

STONEISLAND
27-06-2005, 12:56
I'm kind of confused/bemused: You live 'in sin', you're obviously having premarital sex, and now she's carrying an illegitimate child - and she's fussed on a RC wedding? :erm:

You have a very good point on that?:shrug: I'm not one to quetion her just a woman thing I guess?

allieyoung666
27-06-2005, 14:22
that is a good point. the catholic church has changed so much since I was young. I must admit when I asked for my marriage to be blessed I was quite shocked by the answer yes. But the church has moved on like everything else has nowadays.

zovat
27-06-2005, 14:42
not sure about the catholic side, the the CofE declared that living together before marriage was not longer a sin some tme ago (just as well, as I was living with a Vicar's daughter at the time (she is now my wife, and we had the full church wedding)...

Tradition says that the bride's parents pay for the wedding, and the groom pays for the honeymoon.... but that does not always work out...

As already pointed out, the wedding itself need not be expensive, it is the reception theat eats your money...

have a reception at a local pub, with a buffet, and you will find that keeps the cost down an awful lot..

Chris
27-06-2005, 14:45
Tradition, as I understand it, is that the Bride's parents pay for the everything to do with the wedding day except hiring the church/bribing the vicar, which is the Groom's job. Or that's what my inlaws told me anyway. :erm: :D

STONEISLAND
27-06-2005, 14:51
Yes I know but her parents have less money than myself. Plus another daughter getting married 2 months after. Hence budget wedding.

Thanks Chris the web site is usefull and it looks stunning.

Jules
27-06-2005, 15:15
Site? what site lets have a look

STONEISLAND
27-06-2005, 15:56
Site? what site lets have a look

May well go here for honeymoon.

http://www.visitscottishheartlands.com/areas/lomond/index.cfm

My partner cannot fly as pregnant.

Jules
27-06-2005, 15:59
When is the baby due?

SMHarman
27-06-2005, 16:04
May well go here for honeymoon.

http://www.visitscottishheartlands.com/areas/lomond/index.cfm

My partner cannot fly as pregnant.
Apart from the discomfort of cramming into an economy seat

British Airways is happy to accept pregnant ladies on our flights.
In order to ensure the health and well-being of both the mother and the baby, the following policy is in place:
For uncomplicated single pregnancies, we restrict travel beyond the end of the 36th week, and for twins, triplets etc., beyond the end of the 32nd week. After your pregnancy has entered its' 28th week, we ask that you carry with you a letter from your doctor or midwife, stating the pregnancy is uncomplicated and confirming the expected date of delivery. In this letter, your doctor should state that you are in good health, that they are happy for you to fly, and that (in their opinion) there is no reason why you cannot fly.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/askbainter/public/en_gb?p_search_text=pregnant

STONEISLAND
27-06-2005, 16:13
When is the baby due?

November 24 th :D

We have looked into it and sure she cannot fly.

Scotland looks nice anyway. And it wont be bad on price.

Jules
27-06-2005, 16:15
She can but it will be far cheaper to go to Scotland :)

allieyoung666
27-06-2005, 16:44
I hope you have a lovely time Scotland is a beautiful part of the country and is very cheap to.

STONEISLAND
05-09-2005, 09:35
Ok Guys to tips for the Grooms speech. :confused: :)

Getting scared now. :disturbd:

zing_deleted
05-09-2005, 09:46
you just have to thank everyone.Its the best mans place to be funny. So thank the bridesmaids say how pretty they are blar blar ,perhaps buy them a necklace each to give at reception.Then thank brides mother and say how nice her hat is,then thank brides father for not shooting you when you got his daughter pregnant,Then thank your side :) good luck

STONEISLAND
05-09-2005, 09:51
Thanks,

How long does it have to be? Is it best to do 'of the cuff' or write it as a script or bullit point?

marky
05-09-2005, 09:54
thanks for coming to eat all our food

we take all major credit cards, cash welcome thank you "then what zing said":)

zing_deleted
05-09-2005, 09:59
Just a few minutes.I did mind off the cuff but if you feel more secure then write it down :) Like I said the pressure is on the best man to be funny so do not let it stree you out :)

Angua
05-09-2005, 09:59
Fortunately most people are half asleep/bored by the time it's your turn so they never really listen anyway. Best of luck.

Try here (http://hitched.co.uk/speeches/examples/showbest.asp?type=5) as a slightly more useful answer.

zing_deleted
05-09-2005, 10:02
Fortunately most people are half asleep/bored by the time it's your turn so they never really listen anyway. Best of luck.

Try here (http://hitched.co.uk/speeches/examples/showbest.asp?type=5) as a slightly more useful answer.

I thought my way was useful? The examples here are all trying to be funny and there to long.The groom imo should just be thanking people short and sweet its the best mans role to have the long speech

I did miss out the thank your new wifey bit ,Very important this as it desides whether you get any after the reception :LOL:

marky
05-09-2005, 10:07
Go for the short but sweet they will love you for it

coz we all know thats the boring bit ( apart from the brides mother )

cara08
05-09-2005, 10:11
I thought my way was useful? The examples here are all trying to be funny and there to long.The groom imo should just be thanking people short and sweet its the best mans role to have the long speech

I did miss out the thank your new wifey bit ,Very important this as it desides whether you get any after the reception :LOL:

thank god we`re not getting married..........

zing_deleted
05-09-2005, 10:17
:( ;) Told you we are gonna have a living in sin ceramony so we still get the presents :D

cara08
05-09-2005, 10:21
:( ;) Told you we are gonna have a living in sin ceramony so we still get the presents :D

at least i wont get called wifey...

Chris
05-09-2005, 12:09
The groom's job is to say how stunning his wife looks and then thank everyone who had anything to do with the wedding. Write down a list of people to thank or you'll miss someone out! You don't need to go on for long and you don't need to be witty. That's the best man's job.

Traditionally, you have to finish your speech by proposing a toast to the bridesmaids.

STONEISLAND
05-09-2005, 13:32
Thanks again for all your helps. I feel a little better that I dont need to be witty or drag it on. I will keep you all posted.

Nugget
05-09-2005, 13:34
Just don't do what Twin Nug did at his wedding and completely bodge it - after his stuttering and stumbling, Mrs Twin Nug actually took over for him :D

Mind you, it did make my Best Man speech look a lot better than it should have done :disturbd:

Drewie
05-09-2005, 14:01
Skunk4u do as I did, send out invites saying due to financial constraints the wedding will be small but you are most welcome to attend the church and meet after at the local pub for a drink. Amazing how many turned up and actually offered to pay their own way when they found out I was only having a little reception afterwards for our parents and a few friends at a small room in the pub.