PDA

View Full Version : Farnborough: Connection Dropping Every 30 mins or so

Bobble
24-06-2005, 20:26
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone else in the Farnborough area (GU14) is having problems with their connection. It appears that ours is ok for about 30-40 mins and then keeps dropping. The cable modem still has 3 green lights however it's only when you reboot the modem that it starts working again, but only for about half an hour.

It's been reported to tech support and they are going to get an engineer to ring apparently but just wondered if anyone else having probs too or is it just me.

Any ideas what might be causing the cable modem to freeze up and loose the connection even though the 3 lights are green. BTW the modem is one of the original 3Com Cable modems.

Thanks,
Al :)

Neil
24-06-2005, 20:35
Hi, & :welcome: to the site.

Have you reported this fault to ntl, & if so what did they say/do?

Bobble
24-06-2005, 20:58
Hi,

I called NTL twice today about this issue.

The first time i called they got me to reboot the cable modem, got me to reboot my router. I told them that this would fix the problem breifly, but I suspect this was their call centre in india and they seemed to just read down a script and told me to monitor it.

The 2nd call i made as i was not happy about the resolution of my first called seemed to go through to Cardiff, i made the point again that it goes down after about 30 mins even though the 3 lights remain green and only a reboot would resolve it.

I provided my MAC address and was just told that they would pass on the details for it to be checked and I should get a call within 24 hours.

This was about 6.30/7ish so im not sure when i will hear back, but its just a pain having to keep rebooting it every 30 mins :(

Thanks, Al

ViLLaN
24-06-2005, 21:07
Having the same problems as you Bobble and I am in Farnborough as well.

I had an engineer visit today, he replaced the connectors and the splitter at the house end and remade the connectors at the box end.

Still dropping out though.

Just about to call them back.

Bobble
24-06-2005, 23:02
Keep us updated, I've not heard anymore from NTL yet, but then I guess i might not now till Monday. Still dropping the connection so not really usable at the moment.

Will update when/if i hear something further :)

Neil - If we don't get anywhere is there anything you can do to help?

Thanks, Al

Neil
24-06-2005, 23:29
Neil - If we don't get anywhere is there anything you can do to help?

Thanks, Al

There sure is. :)

Drop me a PM with your name & account number, along with a contact number & I'll get it passed to ntl on your behalf.

Bobble
25-06-2005, 09:24
Sent PM :)

Many thanks
Al

ViLLaN
25-06-2005, 11:16
Well, I phoned TS support again this morning and had to be very insistant with them to get anywhere. They tried to transfer to Engineering to get an appointment but it was so busy she transferred me to her supervisor instead. I don't think he was to impressed with that. He offered to get Engineering to phone me back but I opted for the queue instead.

*ViLLaN waits in queue for 20 minutes*

Got an appointment for Monday AM. I might be sick that day :shocked: ;)

Hopefully we will get some resolution on this matter now.

--EDIT--

Forgot to add that we went through all the drills again and then she tried to blame my router when the connection was down with the router in and came up after I removed the router and rebooted modem/PC. I then explained to her, again, that I had run last night without the router and the problem was still happening then. As if to illustrate a point it promptly died for and had to be rebooted again.

I got her to check the signal levels as I was showing an Upstream TX power level of 61dBmV, that was when she transferred me!!

Cheers

ViLLaN

Bobble
26-06-2005, 12:20
Hi,

Just to update we are getting an engineer due on Monday PM, so i suspect it might be your engineer from the morning Villan :)

Will keep you updated on how it goes

Thanks, Al

Neil
26-06-2005, 14:55
Hi,

Just to update we are getting an engineer due on Monday PM, so i suspect it might be your engineer from the morning Villan :)

Will keep you updated on how it goes

Thanks, Al

Did someone from ntl contact you Bobble?

Bobble
26-06-2005, 15:14
No, I had to call them again to find out what was happening. They said that it did need an engineer visit and should have one on Monday between 1pm - 4pm.

I did say that I was meant to have a call back from someone but they did not have any record of that....

Hopefully it might get sorted on Monday unless you know anyone else Neil who can take a look remotely before then?

Thanks again
Al

ViLLaN
27-06-2005, 11:29
Well, I had a visit from a guy called Ian, he told me that the network engineer was in the Farnborough area for 13 hours yesterday fixing problems. I have to admit that mine was rock solid last night.

It appears to be sorted, thank you NTL, I can get back to playing EVE now!!

--EDIT--

Forgot to add that the engineer was good enough to leave me his mobile number in case the problem re-occured in the next few days.

Hope your connection is sorted as well Bobble!

Cheers
ViLLaN

MadMat
27-06-2005, 13:18
I've had a similar problem for months (in gu14 also) and just had to reboot the cable modem every so often - not great but less painful than dealing with the helpdesk - as has been shown since 23rd July. My cable modem has died - not even the power light comes on. Stuck a voltmeter on the power supply and it has power so it looks like the modem itself has given up the ghost.
First phoned on 23rd June to be promised a return call from an engineer within 24 hours.
Second call 25th June, again promised a return call from an engineer with 24 hours.
3rd call 27th June, now I am told an engineer cannot return my call because of a problem in the Farnborough area and the helpdesk guy cannot give me a date for it to be resolved - yet you guys still have connectivity?
So, right now I've got a broken cable modem and no one will do anything about it - time to get on ebay and buy myself a replacement modem I think - but hardly a satisfactory result.

Robert Atkins
27-06-2005, 14:56
I am Sandhurst (GU15), no problems

My ubr is 10.247.143.254 and we are both connected to guilford, no?

Bobble
27-06-2005, 15:04
Hi,

Just thought I would let you know that the Engineer has been this afternoon and could not see anything wrong. The signal levels appear to be good today but like you ViLLaN I was told that Networks had been looking at it all day yesterday.

The connection has been fine all day today and was last night too anyway so hopefully networks have sorted the issue :)

Thanks for your continued updates :)

Thanks, Al

MadMat
27-06-2005, 15:55
I should point out my ebay comment was tongue in cheek.

Bobble
27-06-2005, 20:33
Ok, so it's gone again now :(

Called NTL and they have said that there is a known issue in the area being resolved tonight during some maintenance work between midnight and 5am.

At least they acknowledge a problem exists and they are doing something tonight, suprised me when I called them that they knew all this already as I was expecting to have to go through everything again :) Lets hope that tomorrow its all back to normal....fingers crossed

Al

Bobble
28-06-2005, 20:45
Still problems again today, so another call to NTL, after 30 mins of someone telling me it was down to peak time!! and to try later...I think NOT, i asked to be put through to a supervisor who then agreed that perhaps I need the engineer to come back and have another look.

Engineer now due to come on Saturday morning with a new modem.

Cant see how the modem can be the cause, but they can try and change the modem if they want and we will see.

Will update after the weekend :)

Thanks, Al