PDA

View Full Version : Network Router problems

Derek
24-06-2005, 20:25
Hopefully someone can help me before someone on the street outside is killed by the computer being flung out the window.

For months now my computer has been very stable connected to a router via ethernet which in turn is connected to my modem.

This has worked without incident since last October or so.

In the last few weeks I have upgraded to Windows x64 edition. Since then things have started to go downhill pretty rapidly.

If I am using the connection heavily (Bittorrent, large FTP download etc.) then every so often the connectivity will drop. If I leave it for a few minutes or shut down the application normally the problem resolves itself (or if I reboot)

I did think this was a problem with Windows which was the final straw for me and the 32-bit version is going back on in the next few days but have now noticed that whenever the connection drops the WAN indicators on the router (linksys BEFW11S4) all flash red for a few seconds.
The lights for the computer connection are fine and the lights on the modem are also OK.

Is it possible that the problem is not with windows but with the router (possibly due to the hot weather :confused: )

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Tezcatlipoca
24-06-2005, 20:36
Could be the router.

I used to have an old Linksys BEFSR41 wired router, & it started getting flakey after about a year. Random connection losses (often in the middle of downloading something or using XBox Live :mad: :rolleyes: ). Also, like your BEFW11S4 problem, the lights would all go red briefly.

(seemingly) Solved it for a while by turning it off for a good 5mins or more & then doing a factory reset. Didn't do it for ages after that. When it did start to do it again, a firmware upgrade helped.

Is the router old? Maybe that's a factor too. Is the firmware up to date?

Derek
24-06-2005, 20:43
(seemingly) Solved it for a while by turning it off for a good 5mins or more & then doing a factory reset. Didn't do it for ages after that. When it did start to do it again, a firmware upgrade helped.

Is the router old? Maybe that's a factor too. Is the firmware up to date?

Yeah it is about 14-18 months old. When I try to download the latest firmware it gets about 3/4 of the way through and then gives an error.
I'll give the full factory rest a go and see if that makes things better.

Jonboy
30-07-2005, 19:47
matt did you get the download problem sorted as mine has now got the same problem will cut off at random times 5mins sometimes ten min then resume after a couple of mins at idle

Tezcatlipoca
30-07-2005, 23:52
matt did you get the download problem sorted as mine has now got the same problem will cut off at random times 5mins sometimes ten min then resume after a couple of mins at idle

I haven't actually used the BEFSR41 for quite a while now - I now have a wireless G Linksys WRT54G.

But when I did still use it, the problem did seem to go away after a full factory reset & firmware upgrade. Although IIRC it did come back before I finally ditched it & went wireless.

It could be usage related. What are you doing when it cuts out? Some routers simply can't handle a lot of traffic, & will drop the connection if you're maxing it out using e.g. P2P software.

Or, of course, the router could simply be past it. Is it still under warranty?

Jonboy
31-07-2005, 00:10
hi matt thanks for the reply
if i am on grabit downloadin say an iso of linux in 25meg rar files a total of 500meg in all it might download say 3 files then stop for about 2 - 3 mins maybe more or less then carry on downloading i downloaded the last nero update which was about 30meg ,and it stopped three times on the download i have a 2 meg connection bb linksys BEFSR41 router its about 3- 4 yr old and the modem is a Motorola surfboard SB4100
this problem has only just started about three months ago
Note on grabit i only have two connections ticked

Tezcatlipoca
31-07-2005, 00:27
Have you tried *without* the router connected, i.e. a direct connection from PC to cable modem, just to definitely rule the router in/out of the problem?

If it's definitely the router....sorry, dunno. Prob just getting on a bit! Maybe contact Linksys?

Jonboy
02-08-2005, 01:16
Re: Network Router problems
have found the problem it was the power supply to the router ,
it seems it was over heating and cutting off i had a spare power supply same voltage etc and its downloading like a bat out of hell now no stalling or drop offs done a test 500meg iso with no problem as a test so i am gonna upgrade and buy a new router with wireless connection for the laptop (Good Excuse Dont Tell The Wife) and flog me old on on ebay as it now works fine with the power supply