PDA

View Full Version : Multiple VPN through Telewest Broadband

andyhay
24-06-2005, 17:19
Be afraid - another new user with limited knowledge!!

Recently purchased a Belkin wireless G router - the good news is managed to get the modem working sweetly with the hardnetworked PC, a wirless networked laptop and another PC. All have accesss to the internet, nice and fast, and Messenger works fine.

Problem is VPN, my laptop connects instantly but I cannot get past either the "conecting to xx.xx.xx.xxx" or rarely the "Verrifying username and password" messages on any of the other PC's. Tried the Blueyonder support teams including the £1 min merchants and they could not assist.

Please help or at least tell me i'm wasting my time because it is impossible!

Andy

MovedGoalPosts
24-06-2005, 17:38
:welcome: to Cable Forum. Don't worry there's no need for us to be afraid of newbies with limited knowledge. We all have to learn something too, and once I knew nothing (even now I'm still leaning).

I very much doubt that it's anything to do with blueyonder's settings that you cannot get VPN to work. Although I use ntl I don't suspect there is a great deal of difference. It's most likely to be a configuration issue with your server or the VPN client assuming you have the Belkin router probably configured.

Where is the VPN server located, at an office and presumably with a fixed IP address? What software setup is it? What OS is on your clients and how are you trying to connect?

Have you ever managed to get a VPN to work, either from your Telewest connection of from anywhere else? You may want to try connecting just one PC or lappy direct to your Telewest modem without the router to confirm it's not that. As a worst resort, just to ensure the VPN server is setup correctly, at your server end try to directly connect a computer there, via the internet not intranet ethernet connection.

andyhay
24-06-2005, 17:50
Thanks for the welcome ;)

I have a VPN connection working fine on my laptop that is going through the router wirelessly.

The operating system on all PC's & Laptop is XP and OS on the server is
windows 2003 small business server obviously remote from me with a fixed IP address.

We have tried copying the settings from the laptop to the PC's without any luck...

Hope you can help...

Andy

MovedGoalPosts
24-06-2005, 18:04
Ah, OK, I presume your server is a two NIC setup? Is the OS on the lappy and desktops XP home or Pro.

Is the lappy is registered computer with the server, part of the network domain, but the desktops not? I use SBS 2000 and at the moment can only seem to get my XP Pro lappy, which is registered to my network, to connect, not my unregistered XP Home desktops.

That you can connect the lappy via your telewest VPN indicates that the issue must be with the other clients, and is not a network configuration issue.

You might find some useful SBS info on this site:

www.smallbizserver.net