PDA

View Full Version : Scouts - Your Opinion

Nemesis
30-09-2003, 11:17
Right, I'm posting this thread as a way of establishing peoples thoughts on the Scouting Movement.

I'm a Leader in scouts looking after the 6-8 yr olds. We are having some problems in all sections recruiting Leaders and children.

What is the common view of scouts? What would you like to see Scouts do etc

Would you send your children to scouts.

Also if you want info about scouting, please post.

homealone
30-09-2003, 12:59
I used to be in the Scouts & my son also.
I thoroughly enjoyed all the activities, especially as our leader made stuff like tying knots & lashing relevant by getting us to build rope runs in the woods & stretchers to "rescue" each other on etc. Going away camping etc & building fires & cooking our own grub was a laugh too. I think

It must be really hard to capture the interest of kids today, there are so many other distractions. I think the same basic strengths of the movement exist, though, learning how to operate in a structured organisation & contributing to the team effort, especially.

timewarrior2001
30-09-2003, 13:00
Right, I'm posting this thread as a way of establishing peoples thoughts on the Scouting Movement.

I'm a Leader in scouts looking after the 6-8 yr olds. We are having some problems in all sections recruiting Leaders and children.

What is the common view of scouts? What would you like to see Scouts do etc

Would you send your children to scouts.

Also if you want info about scouting, please post.

I cant say I am favourable to the Scouts, nor the cubs for that matter.
I was never a member, I thought about joining the cubs when I was a kid, went along and thought ti was all a load of pointless nonsense.

I think the Scouts are probably better, from what I understand their activites seem pretty cool, but theres other ways in which they can do these things now.
Its my personal oppinion that things like the cubs and Scouts are dying out, many reason could be given for this, but it has to be said that these days a lot of it will stem from the paedophiles that happened to be scout masters etc.

These days I think the kids prefer the cadets rather than the scout movement.

zoombini
30-09-2003, 13:01
Scouting for the under 10's is nothing more than a cheap rate babysitting service.

The parents just cannot be bothered to offer/accept requests to help on ordinary meeting nights, only when there is something special going on like a camp or a day out will they help.

quote= What is the common view of scouts? What would you like to see Scouts do etc

Scouts themselves are scruffy, smelly things that evolved out of decent Cub Scouts but something went wrong. (Biased opinion here lol).
I'd like to see them tuck thier shirts in & wear thier neckers neatly instead of how our lot do..lol

quote= Would you send your children to scouts.

The usual reason for someone becoming a leader, mine has now left because he got bored with it & has too much homework to do (oh and an Xbox).

quote= We are having some problems in all sections recruiting Leaders and children.

If your having problems recruiting (have you got enough leaders for the amount you want to recruit?) perhaps is your programme exciting enough? do you do enough trips out & camps so that the Cubs tell thier mates about it, making them want to join?? (not that I am saying our is..lol)

Zoombini.
Another Cub Scout Leader (in NW Lancashire).

zoombini
30-09-2003, 13:07
Its my personal oppinion that things like the cubs and Scouts are dying out, many reason could be given for this, but it has to be said that these days a lot of it will stem from the paedophiles that happened to be scout masters etc.

I think 17 million others will disagree with that..

So the Cadet force does not have paedophiles in its ranks, the police, the schools, the (put your own organisation here)... the buggers are everywhere.

You cannot join Cadets until you are 13, you can join Scouting when you are 6.

Nemesis
30-09-2003, 13:34
QUOTE=zoombini -Scouting for the under 10's is nothing more than a cheap rate babysitting service.

A view shared by many. :spin:

QUOTE=zoombini - The parents just cannot be bothered to offer/accept requests to help on ordinary meeting nights, only when there is something special going on like a camp or a day out will they help..

Hmm, you've done this before. :D

QUOTE=zoombini - Scouts themselves are scruffy, smelly things that evolved out of decent Cub Scouts but something went wrong. (Biased opinion here lol).
I'd like to see them tuck thier shirts in & wear thier neckers neatly instead of how our lot do..lol

This I believe is down to the age, and wanting to look cool !!!

QUOTE=zoombini - The usual reason for someone becoming a leader, mine has now left because he got bored with it & has too much homework to do (oh and an Xbox).

An ongoing problem throughout all sections

QUOTE=zoombini - If your having problems recruiting (have you got enough leaders for the amount you want to recruit?) perhaps is your programme exciting enough? do you do enough trips out & camps so that the Cubs tell thier mates about it, making them want to join?? (not that I am saying our is..lol)

I personally don't have a problem, I an also the DBSL and am constantly being fed with the stuff I put in my first post. The opinion throughout the district is that it's too hard to do now. I have enough leaders in my colony and some parents on standby. I'v had only 3 go because they didn't like it, and run with 24 of the little gems normally.

BSL DBSL Runnymede District

Nemesis
30-09-2003, 13:37
I cant say I am favourable to the Scouts, nor the cubs for that matter.
I was never a member, I thought about joining the cubs when I was a kid, went along and thought ti was all a load of pointless nonsense.

I think the Scouts are probably better, from what I understand their activites seem pretty cool, but theres other ways in which they can do these things now.

Each to their own, but your comments such as lot of it will stem from the paedophiles that happened to be scout masters is unfair. The Scout Movement do Police checks on all Helpers, Leaders, Assistant Leaders etc. It is now being encouraged to check on all parents as well. Of course some who have not offended before will pass this check, but that would be the same in any organisation.

zoombini
30-09-2003, 13:48
FYI as said, the checks are only being done as new members arrive & when a warrant requires renewal, so within 3 years all should have been checked as is required by law.

With restrictions of 1 adult per 6 Cubs, and only me & the Scout leader volunteering our time, the lack of help from parents really pi$$es you off.

If anyone wants further information about Scouting then they can go to http:www.scoutbase.org.uk dont ask a leader, were all biased..lol

Russ
30-09-2003, 15:12
Hang on, I thought it was only in the catholic church that you were going to find these kinds of people... :rolleyes:

Atomic22
30-09-2003, 19:30
i was in the cubs and the scouts and i learnt loads of stuff , i think its the uniforms what put most people off nowadays.....i still carry a trusty swiss knife just about everywhere hehehe

zoombini
30-09-2003, 23:13
The uniforms too have changed and are now more practical and trendy (if you can make a uniform trendy).
Download Failed (1)Download Failed (1)
......................http://www.outdoors.ltd.uk/site/scouts/uniform/guide/img/cubs_base.jpg......................http://www.outdoors.ltd.uk/site/scouts/uniform/guide/img/scouts_base.jpg

Apparently it was chosen by kids themselves (but we don't believe that)..lol
The leaders uniform is a vast improvement though.

In general I dont allow the Cubs to carry knifes...
The scouts on the other hand love to do nothing else on camp but whitttle a stick down.... lol
Us leaders usually get told off because we have sheath knifes on our belts of over the legal 3" so that we can do cooking, stab errant Scouts etc...

Hmm, I was about to consider leaving until my 7 year old asked to go back to Beaver Scouts, he is 8 after Xmas so I get another Cub then..
That must be a good reason to keep me looking after someone elses kids, taking them on trips, doing all the paperwork, handling the subs, cleaning the camping gear, repairing the storage garage, going to all the district meetings, making all those phone calls, preparing all the programmes, being a general muggins etc.. I cant think of another.. lol

kink
01-10-2003, 00:06
The uniforms too have changed and are now more practical and trendy (if you can make a uniform trendy).
http://www.outdoors.ltd.uk/site/scouts/uniform/guide/img/cubs_top.jpghttp://www.outdoors.ltd.uk/site/scouts/uniform/guide/img/scouts_top.jpg

Apparently it was chosen by kids themselves (but we don't believe that)..lol
The leaders uniform is a vast improvement though.

In general I dont allow the Cubs to carry knifes...
The scouts on the other hand love to do nothing else on camp but whitttle a stick down.... lol
Us leaders usually get told off because we have sheath knifes on our belts of over the legal 3" so that we can do cooking, stab errant Scouts etc...

Hmm, I was about to consider leaving until my 7 year old asked to go back to Beaver Scouts, he is 8 after Xmas so I get another Cub then..
That must be a good reason to keep me looking after someone elses kids, taking them on trips, doing all the paperwork, handling the subs, cleaning the camping gear, repairing the storage garage, going to all the district meetings, making all those phone calls, preparing all the programmes, being a general muggins etc.. I cant think of another.. lol

Personally..... i think they should have bigger woggles :naughty:

NB. No..... i've not been drinking, i'm debaucherous by nature......

carlingman
01-10-2003, 00:46
Hang on, I thought it was only in the catholic church that you were going to find these kinds of people... :rolleyes:

:nono:

That was uncalled for.

zoombini
01-10-2003, 10:46
Personally..... i think they should have bigger woggles :naughty:

But they do...

The std plastic Woggles are quite small, but there are leather ones available that are huge... Beavers/Cubs have small ones, Scouts have big ones... :D

And those pictures look nothing like the colours that the uniforms actually are..

Ah well, is anyone going to make any decent positive comments about Scouting?

I'm too biased/negative about it.

When they can be bothered to get off of thier backsides & do something, Scouts can have a lot of fun, experience exciting challenges that they cannot
get from thier Playstations (although they can from Xbox's :) ).

Beavers learn all sorts, how fire engines work, all about road safety, how to make things from toilet rolls etc..

Nemesis
01-10-2003, 14:19
Beavers have followed a structured programme for years, the only thing missing was the badges, which we now have. It's great to see them achieve and grow up. It's amazing just how much difference there is between the raw 6 yr old coming in and the 8 yr old leaving.

I'm not disillusioned about the kids, just about the lack of enthusiasm from the Parents. Yes it is a big belief that we are an unpaid childminding service, and I'm sure some view it this way. There are others who have stated that they want to become involved, but there appears to by some kind of stigma about Scouts as far as they are concerned.

What is this Stigma, are Scouts bad ? something to worry about ? too secretive ? what, come on someone must have some thoughts on it ?

Stuart
01-10-2003, 15:06

Russ, you know what happens when you bring religion into a debate.... :nono:

zoombini
01-10-2003, 16:11
Problem is that the majority of Scout groups are church sponsored. Leaders are forbidden being athiests & church parades are a requirement.

Russ
01-10-2003, 16:17
:nono:

That was uncalled for.

So are all the posts that crop up pointing out occasions when it happens in the church, as if it never happens in any other section of society.

Nemesis
01-10-2003, 16:34
Problem is that the majority of Scout groups are church sponsored. Leaders are forbidden being athiests & church parades are a requirement.
No necessarily so. Our's is church sponsored, but there are many that aren't. You have to believe in A god, and church parades are not a requirement, bar two: St Georges Day and Remembrance Sunday.

Affiliation with a church normally brings more church parades, but we receive no sponsorship or money from that church.

Each Group is it's own charity, responsible for it's own accounts etc. It's up to each group to raise funds to keep the group going. This is done mainly from Jumble Sales, Summer Fairs etc etc.

zoombini
01-10-2003, 17:56
Well, let me rephrase that then.
ALL the Scout groups that "I know" are church sponsored in one way or another, so church parades are required of them.

Nemesis
01-10-2003, 18:05
Sorry Zoombini, my reply sounded harsh when I re-read it. Not meant that way at all.
:wavey:

zoombini
01-10-2003, 18:51
he he.... NP.

It seems that not many people want to discuss Scouting with you... Typical... :D