PDA

View Full Version : Iron Gates

Tricky
23-06-2005, 20:43
I need an iron gate for my path (don't really want wood as this blocks the view down the path) - I have tried B+Q and they have one at 2'9", 3'0" and 3'3"

My path is actually 37.5" or 3'1.5" and the 3'0" whilst it fits would not allow me to use the latch as the gap between the latch and the catch (if you know what I mean!) is toooo big. I could pack it out with a block of wood or something but would rather not unless I really have too.

So does anyone know anywhere I can get a gate to fit (37.5') - I don't really want to get a custom made gate as this usually means £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£Ãƒââ‚ ¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£'s

If it makes any difference I am looking for one that is about 3'0" tall (I.e. normal single gate size!)

I curse Persimmon Homes for making the path an odd size :mad:

Roy MM
23-06-2005, 20:48
You got a blacksmith in your area? they love a challenge on quiet days, i got double gates made at my last house for £50 in wrought iron, ok i had to put some sweat in to help.

Angua
23-06-2005, 21:01
Try googling, quite a few sites came up on search "wrought iron gates". Wierdest thing is with gates is they still are sized in imperial whereas most things are now metric. I am presuming the size you are after is the gap between the posts if so you could possibly get a 3 foot gate and have wooden posts (just a thought).
Alternatively do you have a reclamation yard in your area? They have all sorts of odd sized stuff (you may need to clean, de-rust and paint whatever you find but chances are it will be fairly unusual).

Tuftus
23-06-2005, 22:27
What about wood to fill the gaps?

Stained it may (or may not :D ) bled in to the posts / wall?

paulyoung666
23-06-2005, 22:33
i will echo the above about blacksmiths :tu: , the local park to us has a bloke working there and the stuff hemakes for the price he charges is superb , got to be worth thinking about :tu: :)

Tricky
24-06-2005, 20:57
Blacksmiths it's going to be (I'd not even thought of that!)