PDA

View Full Version : Did I get ripped off?

leef78
23-06-2005, 15:02
Hi Guys / Gals....

Another motoring question! (sorry)
As some of you helpful chaps know, I recently changed my brake pads on my clio. Well I thought about giving the old girl an oil and filter change, then I thought Na, to messy I'll get "KWIK FIT" to do it instead, off I go last night after work, tell the chap I want an oil change, he says do you want good quality oil or the standard s**t (those were his exact words.) so I said the good stuff, he then says thats semi synethitic oil is the best for my car thats £27.95 please!!!! I thought thats a bit harsh but payed up anyway? did I get turned over by our kwick fit friends!?

Cheers
Lee

Maggy
23-06-2005, 15:03
Hi Guys / Gals....

As some of you helpful chaps know, I recently changed my brake pads on my clio. Well I thought about giving the old girl an oil and filter change, then I thought Na, to messy I'll get "KWIK FIT" to do it instead, off I go last night after work, tell the chap I want an oil change, he says do you want good quality oil or the standard s**t (those were his exact words.) so I said the good stuff, he then says thats semi synethitic oil is the best for my car thats £27.95 please!!!! I thought thats a bit harsh but payed up anyway? did I get turned over by our kwick fit friends!?

Cheers
Lee

Of course you did... ;)

grandmaster
23-06-2005, 15:04
Depends on the age of the car to what oil to put in.

You should have asked him what the price diffrence was....

I always do my own service on every car i have had..

STONEISLAND
23-06-2005, 15:04
Of course you did... ;)

Agree big time :(

paulyoung666
23-06-2005, 15:12
i dont think you did tbh , about £15-20 to buy your own decent oil , plus about £5 for a filter then all the chew of doing it ;) , paul waits to be told he is wrong :D :D :D

Millay
23-06-2005, 15:18
I agree with you paul, sounds almost worth it, if you get decent oil and dont have to get dirty, could only be paying £10 labour..

pop80_uk
23-06-2005, 15:26
Hi Guys / Gals....

Cheers
Lee

Good quality semi synth about £21.00 filter £5.00 so Id say not bad at all.
Have you always run your car on semi synth? as switch grades of oil is not a good idea and the semi and fully are quite searching on an engine which has only been run on mineral oil all of its life.
You didnt get ripped though. ;)

STONEISLAND
23-06-2005, 15:40
As far as I'm concerned oil is oil unless your planning on having your car for the next 10 years.

SMHarman
23-06-2005, 15:46
And you spend that £10 on that stupid large spanner thing to open the drain hole at the bottom of the engine.

No £27.50 for oil and filter change is pretty reasonable VFM.

zoombini
23-06-2005, 15:47
Although it's unlikely that Kwik fit actually put decent semi synth oil in your car & in fact did put the cheap s$$t that they put in everything.

My local Ford garage do an oil & filter change for £15 - all makes.

leef78
23-06-2005, 15:49
Good quality semi synth about £21.00 filter £5.00 so Id say not bad at all.
Have you always run your car on semi synth? as switch grades of oil is not a good idea and the semi and fully are quite searching on an engine which has only been run on mineral oil all of its life.
You didnt get ripped though. ;)

To be honest I haven't got a clue what oil has been in my previously, I've had it from brand new (7 years old) R-reg 1.2 So if my car has had the standard crap put in it for all these years then will the semi-synth balls it up? im a bit worried now?
But glad most people think I didn't get ripped off....

Depends on the age of the car to what oil to put in.

You should have asked him what the price diffrence was....

I always do my own service on every car i have had..

7 years old (had it from new)

Yes I should have..........

Wish I was that technically minded. Can do the spark plugs and air filter (and recently learned front brake pads) so im learning :)

Ramrod
23-06-2005, 15:50
Although it's unlikely that Kwik fit actually put decent semi synth oil in your car & in fact did put the cheap s$$t that they put in everything.Thats a but unfair....I have always found kwikfit blokes to be helpful and honest. The price sounds ok to me as well. :)

leef78
23-06-2005, 15:52
Although it's unlikely that Kwik fit actually put decent semi synth oil in your car & in fact did put the cheap s$$t that they put in everything.

My local Ford garage do an oil & filter change for £15 - all makes.

Thats what I thought, it'll all be the same crap oil but I watched the guy do it and he had a choice of 4 different big pump barrels and choice the one that said "D-type Semi synth" although I suppose all barrels could have the crap in??

pop80_uk
23-06-2005, 16:11
To be honest I haven't got a clue what oil has been in my previously, I've had it from brand new (7 years old) R-reg 1.2 So if my car has had the standard crap put in it for all these years then will the semi-synth balls it up? im a bit worried now?
But glad most people think I didn't get ripped off....

No no it wont cause any damage as such, its just it will be a bit more searching than standard Mineral oil, therefore if you has a seal which was leaking the Semi may show it up and cause a little oil leak. But I doubt you have anything to worry about though as your car is pretty new, dont worry. Just make sure you use Semi at the next change and change it sooner than you would usually. What grade was used in your clio? I believe its 10w40 for the 1.2

purenuman
23-06-2005, 16:16
............did I get turned over by our kwick fit friends!?

Cheers
Lee

No!

punky
23-06-2005, 16:19
i dont think you did tbh , about £15-20 to buy your own decent oil , plus about £5 for a filter then all the chew of doing it ;) , paul waits to be told he is wrong :D :D :D

I am with you, I don't think that is unreasonable at all. Well, not in this country, everything is a rip off.

Of course you can change your own oil, it is dead easy, just a messy pain in the arse.

leef78
23-06-2005, 16:20
I am with you, I don't think that is unreasonable at all. Well, not in this country, everything is a rip off.

What car do you have Leef78?

Of course you can change your own oil, it is dead easy, just a messy pain in the arse.

Renault Clio 1.2 R-Reg (old shape)

thats why I didn't attempt it, not because I didn't think I could do it, just the mess.

purenuman
23-06-2005, 16:20
I suppose all barrels could have the crap in??

Very unlikely!

They may have a bad name because they are sometimes pushy with sales but they are not out and out dishonest as a rule.....

I suppose you could get the odd scammer working for them but they wouldn't last and it's still unlikely.

paulyoung666
23-06-2005, 17:08
Very unlikely!

They may have a bad name because they are sometimes pushy with sales but they are not out and out dishonest as a rule.....

I suppose you could get the odd scammer working for them but they wouldn't last and it's still unlikely.

i would be very surprised as well , all it would take is trading standards to catch them and all hell would break loose :disturbd:

Jules
23-06-2005, 17:31
I think that is a good price you paid and well worth it to avoid the mess and also the problem of what to do with the old oil

AndrewJ
23-06-2005, 17:36
We once had a Pug TD 306, and we used some of this fancy oil and it did make a difference much less vibration, and smoother response.

allieyoung666
23-06-2005, 17:51
No, it is very reasonable, When my dad did it and he loves messing around with cars it took him at least a day. When we took ours to national it took less than an hour, so no you have not been ripped off

budwieser
23-06-2005, 19:42
Hi Guys / Gals....

Cheers
Lee

Sounds about right mate for the oil & filter and don`t forget that it also includes the labour charge and a small charge for disposal of the old oil and filter which the garage will be charged for by the government environmenal health bodies!

leef78
23-06-2005, 20:32
Cheers guys, once again lots of sound advice from everyone. Thanks a lot, sorry if it was a bit of a boring question but needed your opinions

I'll probably be asking some other motoring question next week. ;)

Cheers
Lee

budwieser
23-06-2005, 21:51
Cheers guys, once again lots of sound advice from everyone. Thanks a lot, sorry if it was a bit of a boring question but needed your opinions

Cheers
Lee

Fire away mate.:D

Tuftus
23-06-2005, 22:24
Depends on how you feel I guess, if you had done it yourself and saved a fiver would you have been happy?

I am all for getting my hands dirty so save a bob or two but when the margins are as tight as an oil change I tend to let the garage do it these days...

paulyoung666
23-06-2005, 22:26

Cheers
Lee

anytime , i like to think i have given useful advice , and i know i have recieved plenty , keep it coming , that is the point of this place :tu: :)