PDA

View Full Version : Is this a sign of hayfever?

BigDave1
21-06-2005, 21:40
The roof of my mouth towards my throat is really itchy and irritating, it is like there is little tiny pimpels on it. Anyone know what this could be?

Bifta
21-06-2005, 21:42
The roof of my mouth towards my throat is really itchy and irritating, it is like there is little tiny pimpels on it. Anyone know what this could be?

Either hayfever or some other allergy, it's the same symptoms I get every night before hayfever kicks in, welcome to misery :D (recommend Zirtek tablets and or Boots own nasal spray to help with it)

bopdude
21-06-2005, 21:49

Either hayfever or some other allergy, it's the same symptoms I get every night before hayfever kicks in, welcome to misery :D (recommend Zirtek tablets and or Boots own nasal spray to help with it)

Sounds like it could be, and yep, trying the said remedies but really struggling this year, might have to go to the Doc's for a jab of Kenolog, if he'll give me another :shrug:

Ramrod
21-06-2005, 21:57
The roof of my mouth towards my throat is really itchy and irritating, it is like there is little tiny pimpels on it. Anyone know what this could be?Have you eaten anything recently?......Might be an allergic reaction to something..........

bb31
21-06-2005, 21:57
Sounds like it could be, and yep, trying the said remedies but really struggling this year, might have to go to the Doc's for a jab of Kenolog, if he'll give me another :shrug:

Not sure if its the same where you are, but in this area the doctors have not been giving the kenolog injection for the past couple of years! :td:

Hope he does as i know that its the only relief some people get from the dreaded symtoms.

homealone
21-06-2005, 22:28

it sounds like bacterial throat infection, the best thing for it is honey, in my opinion. Pure, set, nothing added, honey ;)

greencreeper
21-06-2005, 22:36
Tesco do a box of 30 ceterizine (Zirtek) tablets for around £3.50 - BOGOF, the last time I bought some.

Could be thrush though :shrug:

Ramrod
21-06-2005, 22:38
Great.......we have hayfever, allergic reaction, bacterial infection and thrush :rofl:..............you need to see the GP m8 :D

Tuftus
21-06-2005, 22:45
The pimpels, are they whitish in appearance?

If so, I have had them in the past, they, apparently are a collection of white blood cells fighting an infection according to my GP...

Antibiotics are the way m8...

greencreeper
21-06-2005, 22:48
Great.......we have hayfever, allergic reaction, bacterial infection and thrush :rofl:..............you need to see the GP m8 :D
Welcome to the CF clinic - from "mild rash" to "2 weeks to live" within ten posts :D

budwieser
21-06-2005, 22:57
Sounds like Thrush mate! You must have " Eaten" something that didn`t agree with you.!:D

Tuftus
21-06-2005, 23:00
Welcome to the CF clinic - from "mild rash" to "2 weeks to live" within ten posts :D

2 weeks?

Nah, I would get down A&E now!!!

:angel:

Raistlin
21-06-2005, 23:04
The good news is that the bloke in the next bed wants to buy your slippers :)

Sorry.....wrong punchline.....

Angua
21-06-2005, 23:04
Sounds more like mouth ulcers to me. But then again who am I to say when I start sneezing after a Reef (alco pop drink) or certain types of wine.

greencreeper
21-06-2005, 23:06
Tesco Cloudy Lemonade, though lovely, makes me sneeze :cry: Weird huh :erm:

Macca371
21-06-2005, 23:11
Hmm cordial always makes me cough for some reason

Halcyon
21-06-2005, 23:47
The hot weather can make your throat feel really dry and cause sore throats too. I have one at the moment. Really annoying.

bopdude
22-06-2005, 00:25

Not sure if its the same where you are, but in this area the doctors have not been giving the kenolog injection for the past couple of years! :td:

Hope he does as i know that its the only relief some people get from the dreaded symtoms.

Yeah, he's ( my Doc ) not keen on giving them anymore as it supposedly can cause britle bones ( won't try spelling cystic fibrosis ) if thats theright term, shame, it used to be good, overnight cure, then my immune system started getting used to it and i needed 2 a year :( still 'twas good :tu: and as I said to the Doc, I'll take my chances, anything to be rid of hayfever

Maggy
22-06-2005, 00:35
Where did you say these spots are? On the roof of your mouth but towards your throat?I've no idea but then I'm not a doctor..

If you had any sense you'd get to a doctor rather than asking us to issue a diagnosis without even being able to view the afflicted area.After all MOST of us have no medical training what so ever.

I think the best advice given in this entire thread was to see a doctor.. ;)

greencreeper
22-06-2005, 00:38
Yeah, he's ( my Doc ) not keen on giving them anymore as it supposedly can cause britle bones
Hmmmm. The possibility of a broken hip aged 70 versus the possibility, which I have done on more than one occasion, of wandering in front of a bus whilst blowing your nose and mopping lab-rabbit eyes. Coooooo - decisions, decisions :scratch: Sadly, with me, it's dust, so I have it 365 days a year, 24/7.

Can you hear a horn? :Yikes:

homealone
22-06-2005, 00:42
Where did you say these spots are? On the roof of your mouth but towards your throat?I've no idea but then I'm not a doctor..

If you had any sense you'd get to a doctor rather than asking us to issue a diagnosis without even being able to view the afflicted area.After all MOST of us have no medical training what so ever.

I think the best advice given in this entire thread was to see a doctor.. ;)

and the honey ;)

but yes - your GP is your best bet :)

mrlipring
22-06-2005, 00:43
I'm ok unless i actually get dust on me. Used to hate going into the loft 'cos my arms would itch for ages.

I've only had bother with hayfever since friday there. Dunno what happened, but it's been hell since.

Interestingly, i've not had bother for years. This is the first year i've not worn contact lenses...

xcdtowg
22-06-2005, 00:43
I woke up yesterday with a snotty nose, headache and a mouth full of ulcers, its been soup all the way today. :(
Must be the weather, i have a load at the back of my throat too. Maybe you can catch it over forums, a new computer virus :Yikes:

Or maybe not...;)
Blah, feeling dreadful, got an exam tomorrow too for 2 1/2 hours :cry:Must go to sleep and stop sneezing, wish me luck getting some sleep :D

bopdude
22-06-2005, 00:47
Yeah, he's ( my Doc ) not keen on giving them anymore as it supposedly can cause britle bones
Hmmmm. The possibility of a broken hip aged 70 versus the possibility, which I have done on more than one occasion, of wandering in front of a bus whilst blowing your nose and mopping lab-rabbit eyes. Coooooo - decisions, decisions :scratch: Sadly, with me, it's dust, so I have it 365 days a year, 24/7.

Yep, give me the jab any day :tu:

Can you hear a horn? :Yikes:

Would that be the Pot Noodle horn ??? :D

Where did you say these spots are?

He didn't say there where spots, only ....

Bit of a difference there :shrug: still, best to see the quack as recommended by the CF Team .. lol

Raistlin
22-06-2005, 00:51
I woke up yesterday with a snotty nose, headache and a mouth full of ulcers

Niiiice :erm:

can catch it over forums, a new computer virus :Yikes:

Gulp! Hope you can't catch other things like that as well.....anybody else see Sugar Rush on E4 tonight? :Yikes:

Blah, feeling dreadful, got an exam tomorrow too for 2 1/2 hours :cry:Must go to sleep and stop sneezing, wish me luck getting some sleep :D

Good luck getting some sleep. Good luck for tomorrow. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Shaun
22-06-2005, 00:54
Haven't been able to wear my contact lenses for days now and my glasses are making my nose hurt, bloody hayfever :( :cry:

Raistlin
22-06-2005, 00:56
If you can buy locally made honey (from a farm shop or something) that will help with your hayfever.

Because the bees that made the honey have been exposed to the same pollen that is affecting you the honey will help your body to build up natural antihistimines (sp?) - apparently.....

homealone
22-06-2005, 01:09
If you can buy locally made honey (from a farm shop or something) that will help with your hayfever.

Because the bees that made the honey have been exposed to the same pollen that is affecting you the honey will help your body to build up natural antihistimines (sp?) - apparently.....

absolutely - eat dirt & worms & you will build an immune system, we have pasteurised ourselves into a false paradise, in my opinion ;)

bopdude
22-06-2005, 09:14

I thought that was an old wives tale, I'll try it though, I'll try anything once if it helps get rid of this.

absolutely - eat dirt & worms & you will build an immune system, we have pasteurised ourselves into a false paradise, in my opinion ;)

That might be a bit extreme, I mean eating worms maybe but dirt :rolleyes: :D

Ramrod
22-06-2005, 09:22
BigDave1 have you got a GP appointment yet m8?

Damien
22-06-2005, 10:09
Hey Dave, I get a irrating mouth, its at the top of my mouth and it is just really irrating. I always get this around this time when i am suffering from Hayfever. Its is at the top and is more sore than irrating, drinking appletiser seems to make it irritating. It does slightly itch as well. I am not saying it is Hayfever in your case but I only ever get it while suffering from Hayfever.

I hate Hayfever :(. I say see your GP just in case

Read this intresting: http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/en.asp?TopicID=15&AreaID=3718&LinkID=2793

Allergic reactions produce many different symptoms and affect people in different ways. Some of the most common symptoms include the following:

Sneezing,
Wheezing,
Sinus pain (feelings of pressure or pain high up in the nose, around the eyes, and at the front of the skull),
Runny nose,
Coughing,
Nettle rash / hives,
Swelling,
Itchy eyes, ears, lips throat & palate (roof of mouth),
Shortness of breath, and
Sickness, vomiting, & diarrhoea.

Nugget
22-06-2005, 10:57
Just out of curiosity Dave, you don't have asthma do you?

I only ask because, when I used to get me inhalers, I was told that the Becotide (or whichever other red ones there are) can cause thrush in the mouth.

Oh well, just my two cents worth

Salu
22-06-2005, 12:10
I would be wary about diagnosing anything over a bulletin board but the first thing I would suggest is to talk to your pharmacist who are trained in minor ailments. You could talk to your GP but as the symtoms sound relatively mild it may be more appropriate to chat to your pharmacist.

It sounds most likely be a common cold starting. I would say it's unlikely to be hayfever as you would expect hayfever to affect other areas as well and not just the throat. An allergic reaction in the throat is more likely to lead to inflammation than itching. It could be something else which I have PM'd you about.

I would caution everyone to not offer medical advice on this forum unless you are qualified to do so. Even though I am more qualified than others here, I would hesitate to do so with out being able to talk to someone or indeed see them. :)

Shaun
22-06-2005, 12:19

You can have a side order of glass with it if you like ;) :D

paulyoung666
22-06-2005, 12:20
1 thing to note , hayfever can come on at anytime , i was about 25 before i started suffering :(

bopdude
22-06-2005, 12:28

You can have a side order of glass with it if you like ;) :D

Are you ever gonna let me forget that, I think not :rolleyes: :D

1 thing to note , hayfever can come on at anytime , i was about 25 before i started suffering :(

I was about 19, talking to a guy I know the other day, he was saying his father has just started getting it, aged 72 :Yikes: :shocked:

Shaun
22-06-2005, 12:37

No :D

Do it again, do it again!!!!! :hyper:

It's not a CF meet if your not there chomping on my stem ;) :p:

Nugget
22-06-2005, 12:39

So ... many ... jokes!

:D

bopdude
22-06-2005, 12:41

:shocked: :D here to please :p:

So ... many ... jokes!

:D

Who's joking :shrug: :D

Chimaera
22-06-2005, 13:14

Your stem Shaun?? Where was I - I missed that bit! :cry:
(Got any photos? ;) )
Mind you anything plant-like would make Bop's hayfever worse? :shrug: :D

Shaun
22-06-2005, 13:16
Your stem Shaun?? Where was I - I missed that bit! :cry:
(Got any photos? ;) )
Mind you anything plant-like would make Bop's hayfever worse? :shrug: :D

Cheeky Minx :cool:

allieyoung666
22-06-2005, 13:38
good to your GP and ask for Nyastatin, it is for oral thrush it tastes orrbile but works ASAP, and ask for an allergy ***** test whilst you are there

altis
22-06-2005, 13:51
Lots more good info about hay fever here:

http://www.besttreatments.co.uk/btuk/conditions/16486.html

Check out esp. the generic names for many treatments.

dilli-theclaw
22-06-2005, 13:52

I used to live out in the sticks on an arable farm, never once did I get hayfeaver. As soon as I moved into a town I started getting it.

MMMmmm

zoombini
22-06-2005, 13:53
To answer the question about when starting hayfever, yes you can get it at any time throughout your life.

I didn't get asthma until I was in my 30's, hayfever being somehting that goes along with it.

Although I don't mind going in the loft, now when I have a shower my whole body itches & irritates me for ages afterwards.
(apparently my body irritates my wife too :D )
Although I think I may be developing an allergic reaction to the teat tree wash I use.

greencreeper
22-06-2005, 18:38
I used to live out in the sticks on an arable farm, never once did I get hayfeaver. As soon as I moved into a town I started getting it.

MMMmmm
I think many people who label themselves as suffering from "hayfever" are actually allergic to things other than hay. There are many, many plants and trees out there. Also, the human immune system sometimes reacts to the wrong protein - one that looks like the right one, but isn't. This can result in a person having a true allergy and a cross-allergy to another substance that has similar proteins. I think fruit and dust are popular.

Salu
22-06-2005, 19:56
Also, the human immune system sometimes reacts to the wrong protein - one that looks like the right one, but isn't. This can result in a person having a true allergy and a cross-allergy to another substance that has similar proteins. I think fruit and dust are popular.

What do you mean by this? Do you mean allergen rather than protein?

homealone
22-06-2005, 20:09

from a food perspective, aren't allergens mostly proteins, anyway, Salu? My understanding of GC's post was that, for example, people allergic to Lupin flour are also likely to be allergic to Peanuts.

Maggy
22-06-2005, 20:30
I would caution everyone to not offer medical advice on this forum unless you are qualified to do so. Even though I am more qualified than others here, I would hesitate to do so with out being able to talk to someone or indeed see them. :)

Well I think I said that I wasn't qualified and I didn't offer anymore advice than see a DR. :erm:

Ramrod
22-06-2005, 20:41
Well I think I said that I wasn't qualified and I didn't offer anymore advice than see a DR. :erm:I am medically qualified and I also said see the GP :angel: :D

homealone
22-06-2005, 20:45
I think Salu was making a general point, rather than picking out any particular post.

I will never recommend honey for a sore throat, again :angel:

- seriously, it was a good point, thanks Salu :tu:

Ramrod
22-06-2005, 20:51
I think Salu was making a general point, rather than picking out any particular post.

I will never recommend honey for a sore throat, again :angel:I use tabasco sauce for a sore throat :D

greencreeper
22-06-2005, 22:14
As homealone says, my understanding of the process is that it's the protein that triggers the response? I know that it's the protein in house dust mite (and it's droppings) that causes me to sneeze.

zoombini
23-06-2005, 10:21
The house dust is always guaranteed to set me off sneezing & getting a runny nose.

These days I only have to see it in the air on a bright day to start.
When the house is being cleaned & hovered I usually have to make myself scarce.

I love being out in the country, going fishing etc & spending all day outside without any detremental effects (apart from catching nowt).
It's the symptoms of "hayfever" & the drugs to combat it being generically used to label my reaction to household dust.

p.S. no I'm not a doctor either, but what the heck. see your doc, clean the house from top to bottom & keep it clean of dust.

altis
23-06-2005, 10:39
A quote from the Piriton leaflet:
Side 1
What are Priton Allergy tablets for?
Piriton Allergy tablets are used to treat allergies.

Side 2
Before you take your medicine
Are you allergic to any of the ingredients?:shrug:

bopdude
23-06-2005, 10:40
I use tabasco sauce for a sore throat :D

Thats the wayto do it, burn it into submission, peri-peri sauce / spice will cure any and all ailments :rolleyes: :D works for me............ *runs off to Nando's for some extra hot chicken livers :drool: :drool:

nffc
23-06-2005, 10:41
A quote from the Piriton leaflet:
Side 1
What are Priton Allergy tablets for?
Piriton Allergy tablets are used to treat allergies.

Side 2
Before you take your medicine
Are you allergic to any of the ingredients?:shrug:

Oops. That made me laugh. :LOL:

Salu
23-06-2005, 10:59
As homealone says, my understanding of the process is that it's the protein that triggers the response? I know that it's the protein in house dust mite (and it's droppings) that causes me to sneeze.

Sorry, green, I was in a rush when I read your post. Protein is quite a generic term and although allergen is more accurate, I was being a little pernickerty! :D

My point about being medically qualified was not aimed at anyone particularly and certainly not toward anyone who is...just a word of caution. People tend to trust the advice on the web too wholeheartedly. We should try and make sure the advice is quality advice and not just well meaning advice. The best advice is see a health care professional. :)

Well I think I said that I wasn't qualified and I didn't offer anymore advice than see a DR.
...so my comment doesn't apply to you! :)

greencreeper
23-06-2005, 18:52
Sorry, green, I was in a rush when I read your post. Protein is quite a generic term and although allergen is more accurate, I was being a little pernickerty! :D
S'okay. I thought allergen and protein were interchangeable :erm:

I've been sneezing all day - terrible time at work :( Took 3 cetirizine, 1 paracetamol and codeine (500/30), and an Ibuprofen. Still feel rough.

Top site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/pollen/ Being bad today.

greencreeper
30-06-2005, 00:12
I think I'm onto something. I still have some of the high-strength painkillers from when my toenails were ripped off. A junky friend told me much about smack abuse and the effects on the body, but it seems to extend to the immune system response. I've discovered that codeine seems to stop me sneezing very quickly - faster than any other medication I've ever tried. Just typical - can only get the stuff on prescription and is addictive in the medium-term :rolleyes:

Over to you Salu for an official explanation :D