PDA

View Full Version : Networking

Matthew
20-06-2005, 20:06
Make this as easy as possible, can you network two computers over NTLs network? My friend wants to network his and friends machine together. They live close together in a small village but too far for wireless network. They just wondered without using a VPN if they could networking over the NTL one?

I am sure it can be done but cannot think how.

Chris W
20-06-2005, 20:08
what will the network be for?

might be a lot of hassle to setup a VPN....

MovedGoalPosts
20-06-2005, 20:14
Problem with setting up a VPN is that you are usually needing fixed IP addresses to point the connection towards. NTL's domestic IPs can change (could be the same for months or frequently alter depending on the local netowrk needs).

JohnHorb
20-06-2005, 20:16
In theory, I'd have thought you could do this, providing both locations get IP addresses in the same subnet. and providing NTL don't block any of the normal ports used by a LAN, and accepting that any resegmentation by NTL (or anything else which would cause either PC to get a new IP address) would break the network, etc, etc. Would need careful configuration of Firewalls at each end, though.

Matthew
20-06-2005, 20:56
Thanks for you help. I will give it a try as I think I know what I need to know now.