PDA

View Full Version : Rust

MadGamer
20-06-2005, 18:32
Ok, so i havent used my bike for a long time, tires went flat so i pumped them up. Chain went rusty and refused to rotate so i sprayed WD 40 on it. Question is can i remove rust from my bike?

Dave Stones
20-06-2005, 18:33
buy "rust remover" or "red oxide remover" from your local DIY store...

Kliro
20-06-2005, 18:34
Wire wool?

Dave Stones
20-06-2005, 18:34
or coat the rust in a metal which is higher in the periodic table than iron, therefore causing a displacement reaction and removing the rust... only you will end up with some other kind of oxide deposit, which might be less than helpful :erm:

MadGamer
20-06-2005, 18:37
Cool thanks Dave for that ill have a look around, maybe Wickes or B&Q will sell it?

Dave Stones
20-06-2005, 18:37
unsure. homebase definitely did. it was a hammerite product, so anywhere should sell it, probably even halfords...

Paul K
20-06-2005, 18:38
Use proper bike oil once you get the rust off, WD40 is not a replacement for proper oil on things like chains. You might be better off looking in Halfords for a rust remover.

Dave Stones
20-06-2005, 18:39
i still think that getting a more-reactive-than-iron metal and some acid would be much more fun... :disturbd:

paulyoung666
20-06-2005, 18:40
you can get hammerite that will go straight over rust , i wouldnt recomend it though , best off removing it with wire wool or wet and dry paper , priming it and spraying a top coat over , having said that , if you are crap at painting then it might look as bad :erm: :D :D :D

MadGamer
20-06-2005, 18:41
i still think that getting a more-reactive-than-iron metal and some acid would be much more fun... :disturbd:

I might end up with no chain afterwoods?

Dave Stones
20-06-2005, 18:41
you can get hammerite that will go straight over rust , i wouldnt recomend it though , best off removing it with wire wool or wet and dry paper , priming it and spraying a top coat over , having said that , if you are crap at painting then it might look as bad :erm: :D :D :D

hammerite-ing your chain? :erm:

Theodoric
20-06-2005, 18:50
1) The best, but the hardest. Emery paper and lots of elbow grease.

2) A commercial acid based treatment theat will dissolve the rust.

3) A commercial rust conversion treament. I'm a bit rusty on the subject, but IIRC, these were either phosphoric acid based that would produce a coating similar to phosphating, or a tannic acid based product that would convert the rust to an stable iron tannate. In either case it is important to mechanically remove any loose rust first (yet again, a bristle brush and lots of elbow grease).

Tricky
20-06-2005, 21:17
Depending on how much corrosion you might want to take it very steady on a 1st run out...by the time you have bought all the products and spent time cleaning it up/painting it again you could probably fund a new one.

homealone
20-06-2005, 21:39
if the chain is that rusty, the brake cables will be, too - check before your first ride ;)

I presume it is a 'derailleur' gear & chain set - annoying because an hub gear can use a removeable/replaceable chain.

/remembers heating flat round tins of 'stuff' to revive a chain in, on the stove ;)

bmxbandit
20-06-2005, 21:44
Question is can i remove rust from my bike?
probably, as others have said... but a new chain will probably only cost about a fiver!

squirt a load of wd40 down the brake outers too, your cables probably will stick a bit after beng unused for a while.

Tuftus
20-06-2005, 21:46
get a new chain would be less hassle...

Hammerite for the frame imo...

nffc
20-06-2005, 22:29

I might end up with no chain afterwoods?

If it's that bad you won't anyway, as rust is replacing the iron in the chain!

zoombini
21-06-2005, 08:59
A wire brush, some elbow grease, wire wool, some more elbow grease & some 3in1 oil are all thats needed.

Spend several hours brushing & cleaning all the rust off, make a really big mess that then spends ages to clean up.

or.
nip down to your local bike shop & get a new one, not forgetting to put the old one in the recycling.

If you have not used it in so long, are you really going to use it so much now? if it's only the odd use then no need to go really overboard on it, just enough to get it going again should suffice.

pop80_uk
21-06-2005, 09:15
K rust from Hammerite (halfords sell it)
This kills the rust and turns it into good metal
Also some sand paper.
Hope this helps!

budwieser
21-06-2005, 23:32
Use Jenolite.