PDA

View Full Version : Installation

danielclode
20-06-2005, 11:23
Hi guys,

Need some help please! He had broadband put in today but its playing complete havoc. We're trying to set it up,
When i run the install CD it will not authenticate my user details. Alos, when i try to go to 80.5.178.26 the page hangs and it does not let me go to the page. I Have tried calling several times and they say it is a setting on my laptop. Yet i tried going to this page at work on the same laptop and it lets me see the page but will obvouisly not let me register, so would indicate not a laptop issue

All firewalls/AV have been turned off, and i also tried pinging bbc.co.uk which does ping, showing that all the connections are fine surely.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as NTL just say a laptop issue, i even tried another machine at home and this can up with the same problems?

Thanks in advance

Paul K
20-06-2005, 11:25
What ip address are you showing at the moment if you drop to a cmd box and type ipconfig /all
Also are you connecting via a set top box or stand alone modem and is it via USB or ethernet?

danielclode
20-06-2005, 11:35
Am in the offcie at the moment so cannot check the IP, it was giving me an ip whn i typed in ipconfig using dos prompt. I am using a standalone cable modem and connecting using the ethernet cable.

Thanks

Chris W
20-06-2005, 11:35
:welcome:

sounds like you are getting a valid pre reg ip... my first inclination would be to look at browser issues-> reset everything in tools-> internet options to the defaults and try again. If it is windows XP, it is possible that it is having issues getting to secure sites- has the pc been connected to the internet before?

You mentioned firewall software- which one are you using/ were you using? Have you disabled it through the program itself? or in msconfig? (bear in mind that most are set to run at startup, so if you reboot it will come back on).

danielclode
20-06-2005, 11:46
all the internet optoins are set to default. I use the laptpon on a daily basis at work (Connecting thorugh BT broadband) and have no issues connecting or visiting secure sites. I am just using the microsoft firewall and i have turned this off using the Windows Firewall icon in COntrol Panel.
Thanks

Chris W
20-06-2005, 12:06
Hmm... check: Tools-> Internet Options-> Connections-> LAN settings, and make sure everything is unchecked.

Also try accessing:
https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ instead of the ip address for registration.

danielclode
20-06-2005, 12:12
Hi,

Tried both of those. It would not let me into the site typing autoreg.autoregister... , it acted the same as when i tried the IP. I even tried this on another machine and it did exactrly the same...

I can't understand it myself. I was wondering if it was an authenticity issue when i could not register using the CD but this 'i beleive' should not make a difference at all when trying to get to the website to register.

Thanks

Chris W
20-06-2005, 12:23
correct... what the cd doesn't won't affect reaching the registration pages.

What page do you get when you try registration? Is it "page cannot be displayed", "page cannot be found" or the msn search page, or another search page, or a message saying "no connection to the internet is available"?

danielclode
20-06-2005, 12:56
Just hangs so give no indication as to a security issue etc.