PDA

View Full Version : Downtime in ST16?

Monserrat
20-06-2005, 10:16
Do you live in an ST16 postcode?

NTL went down on me last Wednesday 15th. On my cable modem, the power and Ethernet lights were constant but the essential sync light was unlit and the ready light was blinking. I raised a call with NTLââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s helpline explaining that my modem wouldnââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t sync and that Ipconfig kept on giving me private IP addresses (169.x.x.x). The technician was happy that there was a fault and proceeded to arrange an engineerââ‚à ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s visit for the following morning (Thursday 16th).

The engineer came on the Thursday and confirmed that there was a problem on the line. He diagnosed the problem by fitting a VU-like metre in place of the cable modem. First, he replaced a component in the receiving box in the house (where the NTL line starts) but the problem was still unresolved. The engineer said that work will need to be done outside the house too.

Three days later, I was still offline. I rang the NTL helpline again. This time, the guy who answered the phone said that there was an area problem across ST16.

For some reassurance, could you please answer back in here and tell me if others in ST16 are in the same boat as me?

Thank you.

pop80_uk
20-06-2005, 11:55
Yup im Stafford and its been off and on and off and on all day every day for the last week.

Ive called up Tech services and logged it 5 times now, 3 times they said it was fixed the other 2 they said it was broken,
Hopefully they fix it soon as im not happy!:mad:

Chris W
20-06-2005, 12:04
:welcome:

I do believe there are problems in the ST16 area, but can't remember exactly what...

I will have a look when I am in work later to see if i can find out any more information.

pop80_uk
20-06-2005, 12:36
:welcome:

I do believe there are problems in the ST16 area, but can't remember exactly what...

I will have a look when I am in work later to see if i can find out any more information.

Chers Monkeybreath! Look forward to your findings! :D :tu:

Monserrat
20-06-2005, 12:47
Thanks Pop80 + Monkey! Much appreciated... for a peace of mind.

I've checked the NTL status page @ http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/ and Stafford is one of the places listed on the bulletin dated 13-Jun-2005. It said that the maintenance was completed today at 10:47 after 6days 19hours 14minutes. This probably explains the problem we've been having.

I'm writing this on a work machine, so I'll check what the score is with NTL tonight on my home PC. If I'm online again, I'll write back on this forum tonight. If not, I'll write back tomorrow morning!

Chris W
20-06-2005, 17:04
apparently the problem was fixed around 4pm today.... are you back up and running properly?

oh and i haven't managed to find out what the problem was, but it was catv fault... not sure whereabouts this was though....

pop80_uk
20-06-2005, 18:11
Well it appears to work now, what was the problem?
Thanks Monkey! Really appreciate your helps.:tu:

Monserrat
20-06-2005, 22:03
I'm still offline, but I'm connecting through dial-up (using my Nokia mobile!!) It's painfully slow at 1 kilobytes per second.

Anyway, I called NTL again and they've fixed me up with another engineer's visit tomorrow between midday and 6PM. It's a pain because I work a normal 42-hour week, so I'll have to leave my room open.

When I quoted my previous call reference to NTL, they have no record of what the engineer did on their previous visit. This doesn't sound very reassuring to me, so I'm going to write on a piece of A4 paper what the engineer did last time and I'll leave it by the cable modem so that he sees it.

Monserrat
22-06-2005, 09:15
The Internet finally went back on yesterday. I got a call from the NTL technician to say that he has rectified a problem futher down the road (Corporation Street, Stafford). The culprit was the house 14 houses down from my house. I rang my flatmate who checked my modem. He confirmed that the essential SYNC and RDY lights are now constant. The engineer then visited my house as planned and confirmed that the modem LEDs were signalling normally. Excellent.

The Internet worked for most of last night, but the line dropped again briefly at around 1AM and 5AM. I've disregarded these as normal weekly NTL maintenance exercise.

pop80_uk
22-06-2005, 13:45
Well Im back on to. Damd co-operation street! :mad:

But the same every night the connection goes off without fail at 1.00am!
Guess thats life. :cool:

poolking
22-06-2005, 19:51
I'm in the ST16 area and didn't have a problem at all.

pop80_uk
23-06-2005, 08:44
Well I lost it at 11pm last night until the morning. :(

Monserrat
23-06-2005, 14:28
Pop80, mine was on-and-off as well last night. On the whole, it was on, but the line did drop on the hour, every hour for about 5 minutes.

pop80_uk
23-06-2005, 14:35
Well im getting sick of it, Ive alled NTL and had an engineer out 5 times now over the past 2 weeks! They all say its fine when it obviously is not.
Can one of you NTL worker guys have a look for us please?
Thanks

pop80_uk
23-06-2005, 23:06
Lost again at 5pm til 10pm. Why?? and how come no one can sort it?!

spr33
25-06-2005, 11:53
I've had downtime as of yesterday evening (around 8pm) of both Internet and TV (and so have my friends in the same street) in the ST3 area. It came back online about 20-30 minutes ago. Support said it was a 'technical problem' and wouldn't divulge further info (typical). I was just wondering if anyone knew what went on last night?

Monserrat
04-07-2005, 08:39
Just bringing this back up because my problem seemed to reinstated itself!

The cable modem gives the same LED sequence as before, primarily with SYNC flashing all the time (thus never logging on). After about half an hour of downtime, I may be lucky enough to get connectivity for 5 minutes and then it will go down again. It can be up to hours at a time.

I live in ST16, Corporation Street.

I'll give it until tonight and then I'll call technical services again.

Last time they fixed the problem (2 weeks ago), the culprit was one of the houses on Corporation Street, 14 house numbers down from my house.