PDA

View Full Version : Workin abroad...

Steve H
17-06-2005, 19:40
Hi guys,

I've heard of quite a few people who've gone to resorts in spain for example, and worked at a bar or something to that effect for the duration of the summer...

Now I gather we've left it a little late for finding work, but would there be anywhere you could reccomend at this late date that'd have work available, i.e bar work? What are the in's and out's? How much would I need to survive?

Just weighing up what to do for the next 3 monthes...

Start Uni in September so would want to come back then, but then again can't really be bothered with my current job until then (working in a bar LOL), jus fancy doing something different for the next couple of monthes

If not, any other suggestions? :p:

paulyoung666
17-06-2005, 19:55
a little bit of googleing (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=working+holidays&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB) produced this , any good :)

Derek
17-06-2005, 19:56
From people I know who have done it the main thing is to head out there and just get chatting to people behind the bars and see what they do or if they need any help.

Everyone I know who has done it has been spur of the moment things from an early summer holiday to just not going back on their flight and staying for the duration.

Steve H
17-06-2005, 20:01
a little bit of googleing (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=working+holidays&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB) produced this , any good :)

More based at schemes :\

Don't really want to join up with a group - would of preferred to do it off our own backs, so to speak.

Like dezzo said, - however, we'd probably need something concrete since we'd only have a few hundred to get over there :\

Macca371
17-06-2005, 20:14
If I were you I'd just phone around places in resorts where you would like to go , asking for any vacancies.
If you need any interpreting/translating done then just give me a PM, because I can speak espaÃÃâ€*’±ol and would be happy to help :)

Halcyon
17-06-2005, 20:14
Dont know if this is any good...

http://www.jobsabroad.com/listingsp3.cfm/listing/23146

Steve H
17-06-2005, 20:21
If I were you I'd just phone around places in resorts where you would like to go , asking for any vacancies.
If you need any interpreting/translating done then just give me a PM, because I can speak espaÃÃâ€*’±ol and would be happy to help :)

Cheers m8, appreciated :)

Dont know if this is any good...

http://www.jobsabroad.com/listingsp3.cfm/listing/23146

Will have a look - ta :)

Any other ideas? Resort related jobs, ... ?

MovedGoalPosts
17-06-2005, 20:21
However you do it, you're effectively looking for or getting temporary seasonal work. You might get out there and not find anything. On the other hand you could strike lucky and find work. However the job might tail off if the season goes flat, or whatever and you get laid off.

Make sure whatever you do that you safely stash enough cash to pay for, or already have the open ended plane ticket home.

Enjoy your long break.

Steve H
17-06-2005, 20:33
However you do it, you're effectively looking for or getting temporary seasonal work. You might get out there and not find anything. On the other hand you could strike lucky and find work. However the job might tail off if the season goes flat, or whatever and you get laid off.

Make sure whatever you do that you safely stash enough cash to pay for, or already have the open ended plane ticket home.

Enjoy your long break.

Only checking if it's feasible at the moment, nothing set in stone.

The thing that's moreso worrying me is accomodation, I'd obviously buy the 2 way plane ticket beforehand (open ended) so if the worst come to the worst I could just head home.

However, as well as that - there's food to consider, and as I'd only be able to drum up around 250 quid max at the moment I'd obviously need a job to survive. Still got exams for another week, so will have a muse - things just seem a lil flat at the moment.

Angua
17-06-2005, 20:41
I did it to Rhodes, real spur of the moment but I had made friends with some locals who helped me out with somewhere to stay (very very very basic, stone sink, cold showers & spiders everywhere) temporarily and they introduced me to other folk who had various jobs & contacts. Stayed from June to the beginning of September, and at one stage had 3 jobs at once.

Steve H
17-06-2005, 20:53
I did it to Rhodes, real spur of the moment but I had made friends with some locals who helped me out with somewhere to stay (very very very basic, stone sink, cold showers & spiders everywhere) temporarily and they introduced me to other folk who had various jobs & contacts. Stayed from June to the beginning of September, and at one stage had 3 jobs at once.

Worthwhile? Did you have a good time, and it sounds like you did it alone?

Angua
17-06-2005, 20:58
Yup, I went on my own and had a brilliant time. My 26th Birthday was the one and only time I have completely passed out from drinking and not known what was going on. Learn't to live on about £2 a day max.