PDA

View Full Version : Help required with Maggots.....

Raistlin
17-06-2005, 17:06
Sorry, bit of an icky one this.....

We now have those lovely wheelie bins which are emptied once a fortnight.
They've been emptied today.

The problem is that if I cook anything using fresh meat (say chicken for example) and throw the waste into the bin (obviously in a bin bag) it will slowly rot over the next 2 weeks and I will end up with a bin full of maggots.

That's what happened last week anyway.

Anybody know of any way I can stop this happening?

Oh, and how do I kill the maggots that are in the bin at the moment?

(I would add that the wheelie bin is outside so I don't have a kitchen full of maggots :) )

Graham M
17-06-2005, 17:07
Which wheelie bins do u mean?

Raistlin
17-06-2005, 17:09
The big grey ones that you put your rubbish in.....

The council have given everybody wheelie bins to put their rubbish bags in, this is supposed to reduce instances of bags being torn open and litter sent all over the place.

danielf
17-06-2005, 17:09
>snip>

Put the meat in a plastic bag and tie it shut before putting it in the bin. Works with prawn shells which otherwise stink to high heaven...

Raistlin
17-06-2005, 17:10
Put the meat in a plastic bag and tie it shut before putting it in the bin. Works with prawn shells which otherwise stink to high heaven...

Thanks, I'll try that.

Won't they just eat their way through the bag though?

danielf
17-06-2005, 17:11
Thanks, I'll try that.

Won't they just eat their way through the bag though?

You get maggots because flies lay eggs in the meat. No flies on the meat, no maggots...

Ramrod
17-06-2005, 17:12
Won't they just eat their way through the bag though?No.

Raistlin
17-06-2005, 17:15
Ahhh. Nice one guys. Sounds like that's sorted :)

punky
17-06-2005, 17:33
Ahhh. Nice one guys. Sounds like that's sorted :)

I tie up the food in a plastic bag too, but what you can do is leave it in the freezer. The extreme cold will prevent the meat decomposing, and so you won't have the smell or maggots. Failing that you can put it in the fridge. Basic it isn't as cold, it will still decompose, but it will buy you some time.

Raistlin
17-06-2005, 17:35
Hmmm..... Good idea, I do have a massive freezer with plenty of space.....

Mr_love_monkey
17-06-2005, 17:36
yeah, putting it in a bag and sealing it is the best idea - it's what we do.

Reminds me of an off topic joke :
How do you keep flies out of the kitchen?
Keep a bucket of sick in the living room.

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-06-2005, 18:13
where did the maggots come from? when did the flies get on the meat? in theory if the bin is shut then flies cant get in

Mr_love_monkey
17-06-2005, 18:16
where did the maggots come from? when did the flies get on the meat? in theory if the bin is shut then flies cant get in
If the bins are anything like mine, then it's not a perfect seal around the lib, plenty of space of something to get in

Angua
17-06-2005, 18:17
Alternatively get a compost bin! I think you can compost most things except bones.:scratch:

Chimaera
17-06-2005, 18:18
And if you go to a hardware shop you can get dustbin powder (or Neutradol powder) to sprinkle in the bin and stop any nasty smells - that helps to keep the flies away too.

Raistlin
17-06-2005, 18:23
The bins have vents in the top to prevent nasty niffs, that's how the flies got in.

Can't compost, no garden :)

kronas
17-06-2005, 18:26
the way my family does it is using carrier bags and then disposing of the excess food stuffs in the same manner too, however the bin gets washed out every week, no nasty flies about.

greencreeper
17-06-2005, 18:28
There's a lot of death and violence on this forum, what with Stuart splattering moths and now Raistlin depriving maggots of food. There are nice cuddly creatures that need flies as a food source.

paulyoung666
17-06-2005, 18:35
bleach :shrug:

Paul K
17-06-2005, 18:43
Always double wrap meat before binning it, preferably in plastic bags without airholes.
If you end up with a foul smelling bin the easiest thing to do is wait till it's empty and then put it on its side and use a garden hose on it or a bucket of soapy water with a broom.

Angua
17-06-2005, 18:52
Also try http://www.tbcco.com/ they seem to charge about £3 per week locally (don't know if they operate round your way) and provide a gigantic bin liner.

Maggy
17-06-2005, 19:35
Sigh!

Starting at the end of the month this may well be my problem.The local council have provided us with a lovely new green lidded bin for recycling to be emptied once a fortnight.THIS means that our domestic,non-recyclable rubbish will also only be collected fortnightly...Bah!

I'm all for recycling but I can forsee problems arising from this. :(

zoombini
17-06-2005, 20:01
Alternativly, you could always collect them & take up fishing, they are a great bait :D

Wish I had maggots in my bin, I rarely get top go fishing with maggots, the shop is always closed by the time I get to arrange a trip.

Mr_love_monkey
17-06-2005, 20:42
If you end up with a foul smelling bin the easiest thing to do is wait till it's empty and then put it on its side and use a garden hose on it or a bucket of soapy water with a broom.

Actually the easiest thing to do is wait until your neighbour is out, and swap it with theirs..... :)

Wish I had maggots in my bin, I rarely get top go fishing with maggots, the shop is always closed by the time I get to arrange a trip.

That reminds me of another joke, one that isn't appropriate for a family forum...

Anyway - why not just buy some and then stick them in the fridge - that slows them right down

Chimaera
17-06-2005, 20:45
Actually the easiest thing to do is wait until your neighbour is out, and swap it with theirs..... :)

And you wondered why you were getting strange/abusive notes from your neighbours? :D :rofl: ;)

zoombini
17-06-2005, 21:39
er indoors wont let me, I value my life more than fishing :D

Mal
17-06-2005, 21:48
Why don't you kick up a fuss with the local council about them only collecting once a fortnight or am I just lucky that my council collects everything once a week?

greencreeper
17-06-2005, 21:57
I'm all for recycling but I can forsee problems arising from this. :(
My parent's have embraced recycling. I blame it on their age. It's mildly embarrassing. New age parents huh.

Why don't you kick up a fuss with the local council about them only collecting once a fortnight or am I just lucky that my council collects everything once a week?
Nope - my rubbish is collected each Friday. I have a yard where there are several bins - well, there were til the kids set fire to them, now there's just the one. It's used as a urinal too, plus a place to dump building rubble, car parts, old furniture and so on. It's an adventure taking your rubbish out :D

dilli-theclaw
17-06-2005, 21:57
My council alternates between the recycling bin and the household waste bin now.

Maggy
17-06-2005, 22:00
Let's not get off the topic.I could rave for hours about how little we recycle...but maggots are the name of this thread. ;)

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-06-2005, 22:03
And you wondered why you were getting strange/abusive notes from your neighbours? :D :rofl: ;)
the neighbours are putting fly eggs in the bin to stop him!!

Raistlin
17-06-2005, 22:05
Alternativly, you could always collect them & take up fishing, they are a great bait :D

I can post some of mine to you if you like :shrug:

Mal
17-06-2005, 22:06
I can post some of mine to you if you like :shrug:It'll probably turn into air mail half way through the journey ;)

Chimaera
17-06-2005, 22:08
You could always re-cycle the maggots and leave them on the lawn or path for the birds to eat? ;)

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-06-2005, 22:10
You could always re-cycle the maggots and leave them on the lawn or path for the birds to eat? ;)

double recycling, maggots eat the waste food and the birds eat the maggots and maybe the cat will get the bird ;)

Raistlin
17-06-2005, 22:11
And the dog gets the cat, which gets the bird, which gets the spider, which wriggles and jiggles and tickles inside her.....

Mal
17-06-2005, 22:16
And the dog gets the cat, which gets the bird, which gets the spider, which wriggles and jiggles and tickles inside her.....Are the maggots driving you round the twist?

homealone
17-06-2005, 22:25
And the dog gets the cat, which gets the bird, which gets the spider, which wriggles and jiggles and tickles inside her.....

I wonder why ........ I swallowed a fly ;)

- the karaoke (sp) is good tonight, innit ;)

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-06-2005, 22:26
I wonder why ........ I swallowed a fly ;)

- the karaoke (sp) is good tonight, innit ;)

everyone jumps on a good idea ;)

zoombini
18-06-2005, 00:23
Post them to the refuse dept of your local council.

Say you found these in your bin on the 2nd week, perhaps they would like them as you do not.
But dont put your name on :D

Florence
18-06-2005, 11:24
Alternatively get a compost bin! I think you can compost most things except bones.:scratch:

You are not supposed to add meat or bones to compost bins as it attracs teh flies and you end up with maggots in the compost then swarms of large black fies in summer...

zoombini
18-06-2005, 22:41
I went & bought some today.
Cost me £2.50 for a pint of them.

Gold top too :D

Angua
18-06-2005, 23:25
Did you know?

The local council are "obliged" to take your waste by law! Regardless of whether you have paid the bill!

zoombini
19-06-2005, 22:57
wahay.. managed to keep them in the fridge last night & she didn't know.
Had loads left over from fishing today so guess where they went again.
I just hope she don't spot them in there tommorrow :D

Angua, where did you find that lttile jewel? can you quote a legal act that that is from?