PDA

View Full Version : Strange connection problems

coffindoger
17-06-2005, 10:16
Hi
I'm working on a friend PC and I can browse the web but cannot collect any emails or connect to MSN Messenger.
The error code for the email problem is "Socket error 10060" and "error no 0x800CCC0E"
This is using Outlook Express.
I've checked all of the settings in OE and they are correct. I can retrieve my friends emails using my own machine on the same network.
I recently installed Win XP as a clean install and have done a repair install in case it was that causing the problem.
The machine will not let me install Broadband Medic, it says it cannot connect to remote server.
Windows Update does not work and I am unable to ping anyone.
Mods, if this is in the wrong forum please move
Thanks for any help guys

Brian

Chris W
17-06-2005, 10:20
:welcome:

is there a firewall installed on the computer?

coffindoger
17-06-2005, 10:22
There is Windows firewall and AVG Antivirus but I have disabled them both.

Stuartbe
17-06-2005, 10:32
Open up a command prompt and type the following :-

telnet smtp.yourmailserver.com 25

You should see a reply...

It may allso be another program blocking it. Try booting XP (if you have xp of course) in " safe mode with networking support " and try it again..

HTH

coffindoger
17-06-2005, 10:41
Stuartbe

It works in safe mode with networking. Now it's just a question of tracking down why!

Stuartbe
17-06-2005, 10:44
O.K. From a command prompt type :-

netstat -a

This will show you all the active network connections and ports that are in use. Before you do this close down as many programs on the system that you can. If you can post the results it may help to show what is using or blocking the port.

Ooopppssss excuse my manners :dunce:

:welcome: to the forum :)

coffindoger
17-06-2005, 11:11
Thanks for all the welcome guys
Cracked the problem The client had installed Sygate personal Firewall and for some reason it was not showing up in either the system tray or add remove programmes
Thanks for all the help No doubt I'll be back
Brian