PDA

View Full Version : Moving cable modem

debjk69
16-06-2005, 22:45
I want to move my internet connection to another room. The wire going into my modem is plenty long enough but when I had a fireplace fitted last year they put the wire behind it and I cant get it out :( just before it goes behind the fireplace there is still enough wire to take the modem where I want to. My question is can I cut the wire Just before it goes behind the fireplace and reconnect the end onto the cut end or do I have to get telewest out to do this for me dont really want to pay out for what seems like a simple job.

Thanks
Debbie

daz300
17-06-2005, 18:02
why not just buy a new wire ?

Raistlin
17-06-2005, 18:06
Possibly because the OP isn't sure if that is a possibility or not...

:welcome: to Cable Forum by the way debjk69 :)

JohnHorb
17-06-2005, 18:09
Possibilty or not, if Telewest is same as NTL, interfering with any wiring or other equipment 'prior' to the modem would be a breach of the T&Cs.

debjk69
17-06-2005, 18:21
what type of wire do I need then if I buy a new wire? Its the thick white wire that is the problem wasnt sure if it was just specific to telewest or if you can buy it anywhere. If you can where can I get it
sorry for all the questions bit of a novice at this
Thanks
Debbie

muvo1
18-06-2005, 02:12
normally it is co-axial cable, i think thts how u spell it, u can get it from any aerial or satalite shop, also ask them from some 'F' types normal or snap and seal 'F' types and a couple of barrels (joiners) jus reconnect the cable using those, and u lose about 1 db signal but tht is nothin it wont effect your broadband in anyway, if optic cable i think it uses same princable 'F' types but not 100% sure, if cable has a metal round small core and and u can see white around it but a bit thicker then its co-axial

maybe tht will help