PDA

View Full Version : What's important to you?

Salu
16-06-2005, 16:23
Which would you choose?

a) £10m to spend in any way you see fit but your life would end exactly 1 year later. You would be guaranteed to live healthily and not die within that time

or

b) Continue living your life as is, and take it as it comes. You may get run over buy a bus at anytime, be struck down with illness or live a long life. Or indeed win the lottery.

How important is money in your life. Is it linked to happiness? Does it bring freedom etc etc....

Chimaera
16-06-2005, 16:29
No I don't think money does bring happiness - it would be nice to be rich and miserable though! ;)
I read an article a couple of weeks ago about lottery winners - the ones who had won millions. The majority of them had split up with their partners and they all said the money had been more of a problem than a blessing. So no thanks - I'll take my chances and stay as I am! :)

Angua
16-06-2005, 16:31
I do more on the thunderball as the odds are better and the top prize is more managable realistically

Halcyon
16-06-2005, 16:43
Money will enhance your life..... its a sad fact that now a days if you have money you can lead a better life, get better health care, get better houses, get a better girl, etc.

However, I dont think it is everything. I would much rather live a normal life on an average income knowing that I'm working for my money and spending it wisely, than have a million, blow a million on a load of uneccesary things, and then die.

At the end of the day, all I need to survive is oxygen.... And the last time I checked, that was still being served for free.
I do not need anything more luxiouous and although it would be nice to jet off to the sun every weekend, buy myself a learjet, and whatever else, It is not a neccesity.

knowing that I would die at the end of that year would be the first thing to stop me going for this. Life is worth a lot more than any money. Plus if you had all that money it would be hard to do everything within one year.

So I'd rather stay the way I am, seeing how life takes me.
Your life changes over time...there will be moments when you have more money, and times when you are broke. Thats life.
There are much more important things such as love and friendship.

STONEISLAND
16-06-2005, 16:46
Bugger I voted before read........

Nemesis
16-06-2005, 16:53
Money will enhance your life..... its a sad fact that now a days if you have money you can lead a better life, get better health care, get better houses, get a better girl, etc.

However, I dont think it is everything. I would much rather live a normal life on an average income knowing that I'm working for my money and spending it wisely, than have a million, blow a million on a load of uneccesary things, and then die.

At the end of the day, all I need to survive is oxygen.... And the last time I checked, that was still being served for free.
I do not need anything more luxiouous and although it would be nice to jet off to the sun every weekend, buy myself a learjet, and whatever else, It is not a neccesity.

knowing that I would die at the end of that year would be the first thing to stop me going for this. Life is worth a lot more than any money. Plus if you had all that money it would be hard to do everything within one year.

So I'd rather stay the way I am, seeing how life takes me.
Your life changes over time...there will be moments when you have more money, and times when you are broke. Thats life.
There are much more important things such as love and friendship.

who says that all the money need to be spent on you .... that kind of money can do a LOT of good

punky
16-06-2005, 17:01
Depends on what makes you happy really.

This might sound a bit corny, but money can buy everything the heart desires, except for one thing: love. Material possessions, security, excitement are all things we want that money is needed to provide.

The vote posed though is a bit of a different angle, as love doesn't necessarily come into it. Bearing in mind I haven't been in love for well over a year (sadly, but I am not going to commit suicide over it) and I have no idea when I will be next, it is saying, for the next year, you can have an awesome life provided for you, or you can take your chances and live a longer, possibly as good, but realistically a far, far more mediocre one for longer. I'd choose the short and happy one. I'd see it as edging my bets.

Now if the question was: would you prefer permanent fiscal security with no chance of love, or finding love with no guaranteed security, that would be a lot harder to answer.

ian@huth
16-06-2005, 17:33
Bugger I voted before read........So did I. :D

I think that I may have answered the same way though if I had read the first post before voting. There is a lot that I could do for my family and others if I had that money. Many a time I think I may not see another year out so knowing exactly when I will go will enable me to prepare for it. I know my health is only going to get worse so in a way it might be better for everyone.

Nugget
16-06-2005, 17:35
Can I answer the question later? Like when I'm 94 :D

bmxbandit
16-06-2005, 17:37
maybe if it were 10 years or more i'd consider it, but for me, life and love are worth far more...

Halcyon
16-06-2005, 18:36
who says that all the money need to be spent on you .... that kind of money can do a LOT of good

Good point. Yes, I guess I would dish it out to family, charities, etc.
It certainly would be too much for just one person.

Wicked_and_Crazy
16-06-2005, 18:40
No I don't think money does bring happiness - it would be nice to be rich and miserable though! ;)
I read an article a couple of weeks ago about lottery winners - the ones who had won millions. The majority of them had split up with their partners and they all said the money had been more of a problem than a blessing. So no thanks - I'll take my chances and stay as I am! :)

just think of all the burberry

damn, i votedm wrong, didnt read the one year life bit

Paul
16-06-2005, 19:03
I have hilighted the one year bit as people seem to be missing it.

I will not choose either option since I do believe money helps to bring happiness, but I would not take £10m with the stipulation of only one years life.

Faulty
16-06-2005, 19:36
I would choose B, coz money doesn't equal happiness

greencreeper
16-06-2005, 19:43
One year of happiness versus a lifetime of misery. Crumbs - what a choice :scratch:

Faulty
16-06-2005, 19:51
Life is what you make it, who is to say that you will be miserable, things change so quickly, you never know what is going to happen next, that is the beauty of life!

Jarandco
16-06-2005, 20:22
I wouldn't take the money as I value my life - its worth a damn sight more than 10 million! :D Id rather live a good long life than a short and superficial one!

Tuftus
16-06-2005, 20:41
One year of happiness versus a lifetime of misery. Crumbs - what a choice :scratch:

Life is what you make of it my friend... ;)

For example, my mrs just came in to the study, gave me a kiss and told me that she loved me.

That did not cost me a penny.

I am one skint, happy bunny.

:)

Graham
16-06-2005, 22:33
Bugger I voted before read........

Oops! Me too :dunce:

Can someone move my vote down please, I don't wanna die! :D

I have hilighted the one year bit as people seem to be missing it.

Yes, but we see the vote before the thread and the vote has nothing about the "one year to live" bit! :eek:

greencreeper
17-06-2005, 00:16
Life is what you make of it my friend... ;)

For example, my mrs just came in to the study, gave me a kiss and told me that she loved me.

That did not cost me a penny.

I am one skint, happy bunny.

:sick: :D It's not February yet! I have a black cloud that follows me - people at work notice that I get all the nasty problems and nothing works for me :mis: Welcome to my life.

Seti
17-06-2005, 07:23
Well i voted to stay as I am :) I think that life is just a huge circle for you tolearn what you have to learn on and have some new lessons on the way. I suppose its how you deal with them that makes you happy or sad.

Greencreeper you really sound like me ! I get all the horrible things in life too and when something nice happens, once in a blue moon, I am so ecstatic it keeps me happy for um YEARS. :D
I dont' think it would make much difference if i did have 10 million quid cos i would probably use it to fund things to make life better for people. I'm just too nice. And it wouldn't really bother me dying in a year cos I dunno when my number is up anyways. But I voted no cos I know I would want to be selfish to start with if I had that amount of cash and I would spend the year worrrying if I had spent it adequately on other people !

Sian

Paul
17-06-2005, 08:05
Yes, but we see the vote before the thread and the vote has nothing about the "one year to live" bit! :eek:Good point, now the topic has gone multi-page. Option updated.

Salu
17-06-2005, 10:19
Sorry about the wording confusion.

Does it show just how important money is to you if you voted yes before reading the question?

Paul
17-06-2005, 10:23
Does it show just how important money is to you if you voted yes before reading the question?To be fair they did read the question - the poll said ;

What would you do;

* Take £10m and spend spend spend.

* Money does not bring happiness. No thanks!
It's perfectly reasonable for people to just read that and vote accordingly, the one year was only mentioned if you then read the thread. :)

Salu
17-06-2005, 10:25
Fair point; but it does show that money is important to some "unless" it comes to losing one's life....

Graham
17-06-2005, 13:10
Does it show just how important money is to you if you voted yes before reading the question?

No, but if someone was offering ten million *without* strings attached (which is what it originally looked like), I don't think many people would turn it down! :)

Salu
17-06-2005, 14:43
No, but if someone was offering ten million *without* strings attached (which is what it originally looked like), I don't think many people would turn it down! :)

It's unlike you to assume the feelings of others? ;)

My point still stands though which is that money is important to some but that importance diminishes when one's life is at issue...

Jules
17-06-2005, 17:42
I think I will just plod along like I always have :)

dilli-theclaw
17-06-2005, 17:45
Well I'd like to THINK I'd choose option 2, which I have voted for.

BUT

If someone plopped £10m in front of me it would be a hard choice.