PDA

View Full Version : Job Application Forms

gazzae
16-06-2005, 13:16
Hi All,

I have been lucky in the past in that I've never had to fill out an application form for a job. My previous jobs I got via recruitment agencies. Therefore I'm having problems phrasing my answers the best way.
Mainly the form asks me to - Please demonstrate by using examples of how you meet each of the criteria specified in the advert.

Two of the criteria would be...
explain complex concepts in a non technical manner
ability to manage multiple tasks with shifting priorities

My question is how do I phrase this? Is it as simply as putting "An example of when I managed multiple tasks would be when ........" Or should I write something like "A situation arose when .......... in dealing with this situation I had to explain complex concepts to upper management using a non technical manner".

Basically what I am asking is it better to do it in a point format or in an "essay" format.

Many thanks

Gareth

fireman328
16-06-2005, 13:56
In my experience try to use bullet points which you can expand on as, if there are a lot of candidates, lists and short paragraphs are easier for the selectors to read and understand.
By all means take advantage of the usual invitation to add anything else you think could be relevant in your own words and don't forget to try to include something about yourself outside work including your membership of organisations, teams and other outside interests.

Halcyon
16-06-2005, 15:33
I would go wih this approach you mentioned:

"A situation arose when .......... in dealing with this situation I had to explain complex concepts to upper management using a non technical manner".

The method you described above shows you are thinking back to instances that have actually occured and showing how you dealt with things in a good way.
Adding bullet points will mean you can add structure and organise it well.
It is also easier to read too.

Ramrod
16-06-2005, 16:39
Gawd, I'm glad I'm self employed.................

If you are going to go for the 'example' format then I would keep the verbosity to an absolute minimum.

'Course, you could use some 'buzzwords'.............. :D