PDA

View Full Version : These connection problems..

loftus
14-06-2005, 21:21
Being technically ignorant I dont know if I am having the same problems.

My browsers - Firefox and IE - randomly stop connecting. E-mail is working okay and I can ping both my router and websites.
Problem seems to be solved by powering down the modem and the router - although both times it has happened I have done both so I dont know if the problem is solved doing it to the modem or the router.
Bloody annoying.

I connect wirelessly via the silver SACM.

Ignition
14-06-2005, 21:36
Have you tried connecting directly to the modem to see if this still happens?

Troubleshoot via process of elimination, always the best policy if you can do it.

If you can't best thing I can suggest is that you check your router out. In theory the cable modem shouldn't care whether you're browsing or pinging websites. Don't power them both down next time, try just rebooting the router + see if that resolves it. If it does that points again at the router.

I don't think it's a proxy related issue either, however you may wanna try the proxy forum for the instructions on how to change proxies. What I suggest is that you specify a proxy in IE and leave Firefox as it is, then if FF messes up see if IE isn't working either. If IE also isn't working then that eliminates the proxies as a potential cause and leaves only the cable modem / the ntl network, assuming you've done all the steps I've detailed. If that's the case call tech support.

Try the above. Should tell you where the issue is.

Djofyork
14-06-2005, 22:29
do u by anychance live near leeds i have the same problem and will post more about it in the 'Leeds router problems' thred

Chris W
15-06-2005, 03:01
do u by anychance live near leeds i have the same problem and will post more about it in the 'Leeds router problems' thred

after having a look at the OPs other posts we can establish that he is in colchester (essex) so problems are unrelated to yours.

Paul
15-06-2005, 04:18
after having a look at the OPs other posts we can establish that he is in colchester (essex) so problems are unrelated to yours.I can confirm that without looking at his other posts. :)