PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modem 2 router ether net port not working :S

SaM^
14-06-2005, 14:13
Heres my problem:

i've been running ntl broadband for about 18 motnhs everything was fine with initial installation . . . 6 months later i buy a new pc with out a network card (this was when i wos a computer noob btw) i phone ntl to try and find a resolution they send me an cat 5 cable 2 usb converter everything for a few more months then all of a sudden my internet connectionw ill not run any more i phone ntlworld yet again they ask if i have a usb a to usb b cable, i did so i plugged it in. . . everything is fine. Now i have recently purchased a new laptop which will be my personal computer not the family pc so i get a router to keep them both online @ the same time. I go to plug everything in, my ethernet light on the modem will not light up and im not getting any connection what so ever from me ethernet port to my router, ive tryed various cat 5 cables, so i know it isnt the cable, i know it isnt the router as that is brand new and i have also bought a new cat5 to usb converter i know its not that either as it lights up when i used it on a neighbours computer! Can any body please help me ive tryed everything i can think of, im not computer illiterate, Please somebody help me!

Many thanks SaM^

Aragorn
14-06-2005, 14:22
:welcome: to CF

First question - have you rebooted (unplugged) the CM during this process? Whenever you change devices on the modem you need to reboot.

Second - Is the router a 'Cable Router' - as opposed to an ADSL router? What model of router?

Third - have you plugged the CM cable into the 'WAN' port on the router - most Cable Routers will have one port for the WAN (aka upload) and four ports for the local devices.

That'll do for starters.

HTH

SaM^
14-06-2005, 14:35
ok, yes i bought a cable router,
router: Linksys wireless G GWRT546
i connected from ethernet port on modem to internet port on router then from port 1 to pc!
The was no WLAN port!
umm wos that all u needed 2 know *-)
thanks for the shown interest :):angel:
edit: yes i did reboot whilst changing devices over

Stuart
14-06-2005, 14:37
ok, yes i bought a cable router,
router: Linksys wireless G GWRT546
i connected from ethernet port on modem to internet port on router then from port 1 to pc!
The was no WLAN port!
umm wos that all u needed 2 know *-)
thanks for the shown interest :):angel:
edit: yes i did reboot whilst changing devices over

I think it is labelled WAN or Internet on the Linksys routers.

Aragorn
14-06-2005, 14:50
What LED's are lit on the front of the router? And what is on the CM? What type of CM as well?

Are you able to connect to the router's admin page? Use a browser with the address 192.168.1.1, no user name, default pass is 'admin' iirc. If you can get into the Admin pages, have a look at the status page and post the first part of the Wan/Internet IP address.