PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet Problem

MarkL
13-06-2005, 17:07
Okay I have a ntl:home 100 box and ever since I've had this box i've only connected via USB, I still want to connect from USB but my Ethernet won't work, I am trying to connect it to the PS2 network adapter..

I also tryed connecting a Ethernet wire from the box to the network pc card, and the problem is the light doesn't do anything.. even when I reboot the box, all the lights flicker on and off for a second except the ethernet light..

any help would be appreciated..

Neil
13-06-2005, 17:15
You need to power everything off if you are going to swap devices.

Also look here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html#usbswap

MarkL
14-06-2005, 13:05
Yes i did all that, shut everything down left it for a bit then tryed it all again.. Oh well.. I think we are finally getting rid of ntl soon anyway

Chris W
14-06-2005, 13:06
are you using a straight or a crossover ethernet cable?

Also, do you have an ethernet card in the pc? if so, connect the ethernet cable to that and see if you get the link lights on

MarkL
14-06-2005, 13:22
omg it works! its blinking!! i put the ps2 ethernet lead i got with the ps2 network adapter into the ntl box then my pc ethernet card and after about a minute the ethernet light is blinking.. should it be stable like the usb or is blinking good enough with the usb running as well?

Aragorn
14-06-2005, 13:31
Mark,

Am I reading this correct - do you have both a USB and Ethernet cable connecting your PC to the modem? You can only have either USB or Ethernet connected at one time (the modem is probably only using one and ignoring the other).

If you have an ethernet card in the PC, and a cable that works, you are much better off using that than a USB connection.

If you want to use both the PC and PS2 at the same time you will have to get a router to share the connection.

HTH

MarkL
14-06-2005, 13:42
yeah i only had both in cause i wanted to see if i could get the ethernet light to turn on.. and now it is so thats some success to being able to connect the ps2 to the internet.. well i'm gonna go try this again and see what happens..

Chris W
14-06-2005, 14:03
If you are on a normal broadband connection you will only get a connection using either usb or ethernet, however if you sign up for ntl's ps2 service you will be able to connect both simultanously.... it is an extra £2 a month

www.ntlworld.com/ps2

MarkL
14-06-2005, 14:33
isn't there a free way to do this? i don't want to use the pc as well.. I know i can only use either the pc or the ps2..

Neil
14-06-2005, 14:46
isn't there a free way to do this? i don't want to use the pc as well.. I know i can only use either the pc or the ps2..

Power everything off, remove the ethernet lead from the PC & plug it ito the PS2.

Then,power up the modem & let connect to ntl. Then power up the PS2.

MarkL
14-06-2005, 15:12
I tryed all of that and it still doesn't seem to work.. the ethernet light stays off and when i run the tests to connect it just says.. cannot connect to the network.. is there anything i have to do to configure it?

Neil
14-06-2005, 15:15
I tryed all of that and it still doesn't seem to work.. the ethernet light stays off and when i run the tests to connect it just says.. cannot connect to the network.. is there anything i have to do to configure it?
Yes-click here (http://uk.playstation.com/networkgaming/support.jhtml).

HTH.
[Edit] - I'm going to move this thread to the PS2 Forum soon. :)

[Edit 2] Done.

Chris W
14-06-2005, 15:16
The PS2 just needs to be set to obtains its ip address and dns settings automatically...

MarkL
14-06-2005, 16:47
so if i'm trying to connect from ps2 straight to my cable modem, i need a crossover cable? on playstation.com it said that the cable that comes with the network adapter isn't a crossover, it is a straight through..

i guess i'll be off to pcworld soon then

Chris W
14-06-2005, 16:51
so if i'm trying to connect from ps2 straight to my cable modem, i need a crossover cable? on playstation.com it said that the cable that comes with the network adapter isn't a crossover, it is a straight through..

i guess i'll be off to pcworld soon then

no... you need a straight cable...

MarkL
14-06-2005, 16:56
i'm confused and getting annoyed at this damn ps2.. so whats my problem.. the light works when i put the ethernet cable from the cable modem to my pc ethernet card, but when i try it from cable modem to ps2 nothing happens.. not even a blink.. i turned everything off, i even left it off for around 20mins and then tryed it all.. i let it go through on auto setup and that didnt work, so then i decided to try and put the ip and everything in manualy.. and that didnt work..

maybe i should just get an xbox and hope that works :P

Chris W
14-06-2005, 16:59
could be a faulty PS2 network adaptor....

Also are you sure you are using a straight cable? some pc nics can negociate to accept straight or xover cables, but i don't believe the ps2 net adaptor can...

MarkL
14-06-2005, 17:05
i don't know what it is.. it is the cable that comes with the network adapter

ETL Verified TIA/EIA-568-B.2 Cat.5e Patch Cable UTP - does that mean anything to u?

Chris W
14-06-2005, 17:08
it's a straight cable....

hum...

quite possibly that the network adaptor is faulty then...

MovedGoalPosts
14-06-2005, 17:14
Just to clarify and rule out a problem.

You say that you normally use USB on your PC to connect to the internet via the cable modem.

Have you ever tried to use the network card on your PC? I see you have tried to plug it in but the implications were that you sort of got some flashing light, but wern't convinced. With the PC connected by ethernet (use the lead supplied with the PS2 kit), and the USB completely unplugged from PC and modem, power down then reboot it all, can you actually use your PC on the internet?

If the PCs connects OK it rules out any issues with the ethernet cable and modem. If it don't work then, we go to plan C (dont know yet what plan C will be ;) ).

MarkL
14-06-2005, 17:39
Nope.. no connection when i tryed the Ethernet, i took everything out turned everything off, left it for about a minute and then reconnected everything and turned it all back on, i let the cable modem lights connect and then turned on the pc, the ethernet light came on but again just blinking.. when i tryed to connect to a website it didn't find any so i looked in network connections and it didn't even have the connection there..

MovedGoalPosts
14-06-2005, 18:35
hmm, we might need a plan D :(

Plan C - have you followed this when connecting the PC to the modem using the ethernet cable:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=13

It might be worth checking too that your PC's network card drivers appear to be working OK. Go into control panel > system > hardware. Check the device manager option and look to see that agains tNetwork Adaptors there isn't anything marked with a big red "X" or yellow "?"

Bottom line is that if the PC cannot connect either there has to be something wrong with either the cable you are using and/or the modem. If you can beg or borrow another ethernet cable that would rule that out, leaving just the modem and a call to CS.