PDA

View Full Version : Wireless network dropping

dalboy
13-06-2005, 09:50
OK i have 2 wireless MA311 Netgear cards in 2 different computers.

I had to reinstall one of the machines so lost the settings i had for the wireless setup (after a lot of mucking about i had the 2 communicating and running the net fine with NO disconnections but i cant remember the settings i had)

So ive tried to set it up again and i think ive set it up a different way and it works, but after random times the one thats taking the connection from the other machine, the internet stops then reconnects.

Here is my setup at the mo

downstairs pc (NTL cable connection)

ntl connection - auto ip config set
wireless card - auto configure ip set

upstairs pc (the one i want net connection)

wireless card - manually set IP
set DNS to downstairs wireless IP addy

when i do this on the upstairs pc, when connected to downstairs in internet connections it says connected to NTL with the 2 pc icon.

But the net keeps dropping infrequent times. I never had this problem with my previous setup and never got that NTL now connected 2 pc icon.

Can anyone think why or what are the "proper" settings?

Thanks a bunch guys im really baffled.

Aragorn
13-06-2005, 10:05
Not sure if it's causing the problems, but on the downstairs PC (PC1) you want the IP of the wireless card set manually to the same range as the manual IP upstairs (eg if PC2 is 192.168.1.102, PC1 should be 192.168.1.101) - because there is no dhcp on the ad-hoc wireless network. Also the DNS setting on PC2 should probably be the NTL DNS server - use 'ipconfig /all' in command prompt on PC1 to find this.

I've never found ad-hoc wireless networks very reliable myself - IMO a £50 wireless router would be better, as you wouldn't need PC1 on to use PC2.

HTH

nffc
13-06-2005, 10:51
Could be a poor signal- there aren't too many walls or metal objects (eg wires) in the way are there?

dalboy
13-06-2005, 10:53
no nothing like that. i had the same setup exactly as it was before i reinstalled but ive obviously set them up slightly different this time (network settings)

ill try what Aragorn said. (Thanks for that)

Hom3r
26-08-2005, 17:21
Just a query

Do anybody here that has had problems with a wireless network dropping have a cordless phone in the house?

If so this could be cause of the problem

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=561790#post561790

DocDutch
26-08-2005, 17:30
okay I dont know your routers but try and change the wireless channels that normally works a trick.