PDA

View Full Version : NTL Broadband - Linksys wireless router - belkin wireless card - NEED HELP!!!!

straygoat
13-06-2005, 08:38
Hello

Can somebody please help me? I am trying to set up my NTL broadband to work with a wireless router and am having a lot of trouble. What I want to be able to do is connect the modem to a wireless router and then have a desktop pc connect to the router wirelessly and also have a wireless laptop connection.

I am not a computer techie, so don't really know what I am doing - I don't understand half of the stuff in the router manual so I'm kind of stuck.

What I have done so far is:

1. installed a Belkin wireless g network card and its drivers on the desktop pc

2. Setup an NTL ethernet connection between the modem and desktop pc. This works fine and I can get to the internet.

3. Connected the modem to a linksys Wireless G WRTS4G router via an ethernet cable. When configuring the router, I had an ethernet connection from the desktop to the router aswell (as instructed).

What I have got now is - desktop can connect to the internet via the router, but only via the ethernet cable connection between router and desktop. As soon as I remove the ethernet cable, the internet is unavailable.

When I ping the router, I don't get any replies unless the ethernet connection is in place. On my desktop, the pop-up says that there is a wireless connection.

Can anybody tell me in bog troll terms (layman's terms might be over my head!) how to set up my wireless router so that it works as I want it? I'm not sure that the wireless connection between my wireless card and wireless router is working correctly - not sure how to check this or to put it right.

If anyone can put me out of my misery, please get in touch as soon as you can!

Thanks a lot

Craig

Neil
13-06-2005, 09:16
Try going into 'MAC Address Filtering' in the Router, & adding the MAC Address of your wireless card.

:welcome: to the site. :)

[Edit]-Do this while connected to the router via ethernet.

[Edit 2]-Make sure the Windows firewall is turnedd off (or indeed any software firewall you have installed-Norton/Zone Alarm etc)

straygoat
13-06-2005, 09:22
Thanks! I will give that a try tonight when I get home. Do I need to include any other MAC addresses on that router filter or just the one you specified? Also, do I need to do anything with MAC Cloning or do I just leave that disabled?

Cheers

Neil
13-06-2005, 09:27
Thanks! I will give that a try tonight when I get home. Do I need to include any other MAC addresses on that router filter or just the one you specified? Also, do I need to do anything with MAC Cloning or do I just leave that disabled?

Cheers

All you need to do is add the MAC address of any wireless card/device that you want to 'allow' access to.

straygoat
13-06-2005, 09:48
Ok, so I'll need the MAC address of the Belkin network card and the built in wireless card in my laptop - I got you. So when I've done this, do I need to do anything else to get my wireless connection to the 'Net? Or will it work as soon as I reboot (with the ethernet connection between desktop and router removed)?

Oh, and the MAC address is the physical address of the card isn't it? I can find that out by doing an ipconfig/all at the command prompt right?

McGraw
13-06-2005, 16:56
You shouldn't need to add MAC addresses, I didn't when I set up my wireless network and I didn't when I set up my Dad's.

You seem to be struggling in a similar sort of way to me when I set up my Dad's wireles gear.

I found I couldn't ping or connect to the internet unless wired into it.

Sometimes wiring it up then disconnecting worked, sometimes it didn't.

Check that Windows and the Belkin software aren't fighting for control. When you try and configure my Dad's gear in XP, it says that it can't which is correct as the belkin stuff is handling it.

Do a site survey from the Belkin software and see if you can see anything.

I reset my router and started again with no encryption and the standard settings. This worked and continued to work as I added the encryption again.

straygoat
14-06-2005, 08:05
Thanks everyone. The MAC address solution worked - I just added the MAC address of the Belkin network card and the MAC address of my laptop in the router configuration, restarted it, and hey presto - internet access! Now all I need to do is setup some sort of security so that you need a password to log on.

Thanks again