PDA

View Full Version : Setting up wireless network.

Topgun
12-06-2005, 20:09
I apologise in advance if this is the wrong place for this or if it has been asked before, but here goes:-

I currently have my PC attached via a cable and an ethernet card directly to my STB (Samsung). I run xp pro on the PC and have a 2mb connection (NTL) which works very smoothly and very well (tempting fate there no doubt!) However my wife has now acquired a laptop through her work. I presume therefore that the easiest way to get an internet connection to both would be to set up a wireless network.

I have noticed that NTL have an advert on their homepage for a router for about £100. Is this a good deal or could I get better elsewhere? Also will I have a drop in speed if I do this? Is there a certain quality of router I need, or is my 2mb connection going to be wasted whatever I do?

Yours in need of advice and reassurance!

McGraw
12-06-2005, 20:25
You can get a wireless router/modem, pci card and notebook card for that money. £100 for just a router is a rip off.

My Dad got the Belkin stuff from www.savastore.com.

Should be £70 for router/card combo and another £30 for another card.

Topgun
12-06-2005, 20:31
You can get a wireless router/modem, pci card and notebook card for that money. £100 for just a router is a rip off.

My Dad got the Belkin stuff from www.savastore.com (http://www.savastore.com/).

Ok, basically what I need to know is will any router work for me, or do I need one to a specific standard, and what about the possible drop in speed issue?

Ta.

JohnHorb
12-06-2005, 20:39
DON'T get a modem/router. These are for ADSL. For cable, the MODEM is supplied by NTL (in your case it is built into the Samsung STB). Apart from that, any wireless router should do the job. As far as the speed issue is concerned - you have a 2MB connection. If you are (say) downloading at max speed from both PCs at tyhe same time, you will see a drop in speed. For 'normal' usage (browsing, etc) you won't notice any difference.

McGraw
12-06-2005, 20:40
Sorry, completely forgot about that!

Yes, modem/routers are for ADSL which is what my Dad has.

I have a Linksys wireless router only.

jonbr
13-06-2005, 09:28
You can pick up a linksys wireless router on line for about £55. I would guess, being a modern laptop, it is wireless ready. So, get a wireless router, connect your existing PC via ethernet cable (wireless routers still accept ethernet wired connections) and the wife's laptop via wireless, job done and only one item to buy ;)

Neil
13-06-2005, 09:34
Ok, basically what I need to know is will any router work for me, or do I need one to a specific standard, and what about the possible drop in speed issue?

Ta.

Get yourself the Linksys one through our CF/Amazon link.... :angel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008DOYO/qid=1118651689/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-3844979-7575036

£44.06 Delivered! :tu:

MovedGoalPosts
13-06-2005, 09:45

My Dad got the Belkin stuff from www.savastore.com (http://www.savastore.com/).

Ta.

YOu are unlikley to suffer any noticeable speed loss when using the internet, even downloading. Even the slowest wireless .11b standard is faster than the 8meg ADSL services, let alone ntl's 3meg. The only limitation would be if you are likely to do much file transfer between PCs then a faster 11g wireless router would be preferred.

Of course with wireless speeds to drop simply because of interference, walls being in the way of line of sight between PC and router, etc. Not ususally a major issue in the average house, but if you live in Windsor Castle ...

Topgun
13-06-2005, 10:12
You can pick up a linksys wireless router on line for about £55. I would guess, being a modern laptop, it is wireless ready. So, get a wireless router, connect your existing PC via ethernet cable (wireless routers still accept ethernet wired connections) and the wife's laptop via wireless, job done and only one item to buy ;)

Thanks for the advice everybody, this looks like the way to go for me for now. Two small queries, firstly if I was to move my PC to another part of the house (unfortunately not Windsor Castle!) could I then run it wirelessly straight from the STB, and secondly if in the future we were to acquire another laptop could I add it to the network? What is the maximum number of things (PCs printers laptops etc) that I could run off this one router?

Many thanks in advance.

Aragorn
13-06-2005, 10:21
Thanks for the advice everybody, this looks like the way to go for me for now. Two small queries, firstly if I was to move my PC to another part of the house (unfortunately not Windsor Castle!) could I then run it wirelessly straight from the STB, and secondly if in the future we were to acquire another laptop could I add it to the network? What is the maximum number of things (PCs printers laptops etc) that I could run off this one router?

Many thanks in advance. Yes - as long as there is a good signal you can plug the router into the STB and use the PC anywhere within range.

You are unlikely to hit the maximum number of devices - probably dozens! Two/three systems is fine for a home wireless network.

Btw, don't forget to review the wireless security article elsewhere on C/F - by default a wireless network allows anyone to use you BBand connection - I would recommend at least hiding the SSID and using MAC filtering.

Security article here - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=8435