PDA

View Full Version : ActionTec wireless network

Chunkerz
12-06-2005, 14:55
Ok people
hopefully this can be a easy problem to fix , i got the network setup and both pc's run on the net
however before i put the network , my internet speed was running at 2mb and i was able to d/load over 100kb but now im lucky to get over 30 , even whent he other pc isnt being used
:(
do i need to change my setting or wats the problem :confused: :confused: :(

its the actiontec 54mbps cable router and the usb network card set
thanks for looking :)

MovedGoalPosts
12-06-2005, 15:05
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

Personnaly I'd be suspicious of the USB network connections. Unfortunatley USB means the PC itself could have to devote a lot of resources to the working out what the network is doing / wants, whereas dedicated ethernet cards have their own hardware on board to do that, letting the PC get on with bigger and better things. However that doesn't fully explain your situation.

How were you connected before to your modem, when you didn't have 2 PCs, was that USB or ethernet?

What are you trying to transfer. Make sure that you are not saturating the upload bandwidth with too many signals.

Raistlin
12-06-2005, 15:13
Hi Chunkerz,

:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

In addition to what MGP has suggested above it would be useful to give some though to how you are downloading.

Normal downloads from websites etc shouldn't require any additional configuration, however if you are using any P2P programs (for bittorrents etc) you will probably need to look at forwarding/opening some of the ports on your router.

If you could confirm what/how you are trying to transfer that might make it easier to help diagnose the problem you are having.

MovedGoalPosts
12-06-2005, 15:22
Another thought is whether you are getting a good wireless signal between your PCs and Router. Other electornic gadgets, Walls, Floors etc can all degrade the signal. Just because yo are theoretically in range doesn't mean it will all be at full power. You may want to experiement with the siting of the wireless components especially the router, whcih migh not work well stuck in a coner on the floor.

Raistlin
12-06-2005, 15:35
Additionaly, thinking in the same terms as MGP, it may be worth experimenting with the channel/frequency settings on your router.

If you are receiving interference from something else you may find that changing the operating channel/frequency helps to resolve your problem.

Chunkerz
12-06-2005, 15:37
Yea its using bittorrents , but im on the main machine so wouldnt expect the siganlling to be a problem would it?

i used to have the cable modem and connected by usb , now its now connected to the router but its all just got slower ,only got 2 machines , just d/loading from the main machine is slow ,other pc is just used for internet browsing so really no complainments there :erm:

Raistlin
12-06-2005, 15:40
Have you made sure that you have your ports opened/forwarded on your router?

Bittorrents make use of a port on your machine to allow other peers/seeds to connect to you remotely. If you haven't forwarded any ports you will find that these connections aren't being properly instigated and your download speeds will suffer as a result.

What client/software are you using?

Chunkerz
12-06-2005, 16:15
bittornado can u suggust any gd bt plz
how can i make sure all the ports are opened/forwarded on my router?

sry for such a noob question but its the all way to learn:erm:

Raistlin
12-06-2005, 16:20
There's a good site here:

http://portforward.com/

That tells you how to open/forward ports for most routers.

And a good guide to using bittornado here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/guide_to_bittornado_page_3.cfm

That explains how to change ports, and why you shouldn't just use the default ones (6881-6889).

sry for such a noob question but its the all way to learn:erm:

No need to apologise for asking questions mate. The only stupid questions is the one that doesn't get asked :)