PDA

View Full Version : Car Aircon

fireman328
10-06-2005, 14:23
The aircon in my car is not cooling, before I take it to be repaired at the main dealers are there any dodges I can try to make it work ?
Thanks in advance.

Steve H
10-06-2005, 14:32
When was the last time you had it re-gassed?

If you havn't had it re-gassed in a while, then it's probably that - and your best going to a garage that deals in airco - will probably get it done far cheaper.

Chris
10-06-2005, 14:35
Yep, unless it's under warranty, a main dealer is the last place I'd take it. I feel for you though, just the week when you really need to start cranking it up and it's not working! I'd never have a car without aircon, now I've tasted the luxury.

fireman328
10-06-2005, 14:38
Thanks I dont ever remember it being gassed so I will get that done.
Thanks again

Yep, unless it's under warranty, a main dealer is the last place I'd take it. I feel for you though, just the week when you really need to start cranking it up and it's not working! I'd never have a car without aircon, now I've tasted the luxury.
Yes you dont need it often in this climate but when you do need it you really need it.

Ramrod
10-06-2005, 14:44
iirk......It's not uncommon for aircon to fail in the summer if you haven't used it all winter/spring. Apparently it's better to use it all year round..........link (http://www.car-aircon.co.uk/q&a.htm)

How often should an air-conditioning system be used?

Just like most motor vehicle manufacturers, we recommend that air-conditioning systems should be switched on for at least ten minutes once a month. This helps prevent damage to the system due to lack of lubrication. This is supported by a recent press release from Lex Vehicle Leasing which explains that a large proportion of failures are caused by lack of use in winter, sometimes resulting in costly repairs.

Chris
10-06-2005, 14:48
I tend to run mine all the time, winter included. It helps prevent windows misting up and is not nearly as fuel-inefficient as older aircon units used to be.

fireman328
10-06-2005, 15:15
Getting it done tomorrow £65 + vat, seems reasonable.

Charlie_Bubble
10-06-2005, 15:35
Getting it done tomorrow £65 + vat, seems reasonable.

Where abouts are you getting that done? Seems an ok price and I'm in surrey too. Just a precaution. :)

fireman328
10-06-2005, 15:40
Where abouts are you getting that done? Seems an ok price and I'm in surrey too. Just a precaution. :)

AutoLogic
Priestley Way
MANOR ROYAL
Crawley
01293 614800

Charlie_Bubble
10-06-2005, 15:46
AutoLogic
Priestley Way
MANOR ROYAL
Crawley
01293 614800

Cheers :)

AndrewJ
10-06-2005, 16:02
Passed onto friend with similar issue.

TheBlueRaja
10-06-2005, 16:19
AutoLogic
Priestley Way
MANOR ROYAL
Crawley
01293 614800

HAve you checked that this IS the issue first - i did this and the guy filled it only to find out that this wasnt the problem (it was magnetic clutch thats the problem apparently) - still not got round to getting it done. :(

fireman328
10-06-2005, 16:26
I'm beginning to wish I was on 10% commission now :)

HAve you checked that this IS the issue first - i did this and the guy filled it only to find out that this wasnt the problem (it was magnetic clutch thats the problem apparently) - still not got round to getting it done. :(
I am technologically challenged and would not know a magnetic clutch from the girlfriends clutch, I have done all of this without even opening the bonnet, which in itself is a challenge. :dunce:

Wicked_and_Crazy
10-06-2005, 16:38
Is your air con compressor working? You should be able to hear it start and stop when you turn the air con on and off. If the pump is not working thats likely due to a loss of presure in the air con circuit. This normally happens due to stones going through the aircon cooling matrix. Typically on cars like a Pug 306 the air con matrix is positioned in front of the water radiator and therefore its more suceptable to stones hitting it.

My advice would be that when they pump your air con with gas ask them to put a flourescent dye in it. This might be a small extra charge of a few quid but if it leaks away (this could take 2-3 weeks depending on how much you use it) it will leave a trace that can be seen under ultraviolet light. Thus saving you cash if you have to take the car back as they will know exactly where it all leaked out.

paulyoung666
10-06-2005, 16:50
Is your air con compressor working? You should be able to hear it start and stop when you turn the air con on and off. If the pump is not working thats likely due to a loss of presure in the air con circuit. This normally happens due to stones going through the aircon cooling matrix. Typically on cars like a Pug 306 the air con matrix is positioned in front of the water radiator and therefore its more suceptable to stones hitting it.

My advice would be that when they pump your air con with gas ask them to put a flourescent dye in it. This might be a small extra charge of a few quid but if it leaks away (this could take 2-3 weeks depending on how much you use it) it will leave a trace that can be seen under ultraviolet light. Thus saving you cash if you have to take the car back as they will know exactly where it all leaked out.

canny first post , :welcome: btw :)

Marge
10-06-2005, 16:53
I'm so glad I can get instant air conditioning in my baby :D :D :D

Paul K
10-06-2005, 16:55
I'm so glad I can get instant air conditioning in my baby :D :D :D With free flies ;)

Marge
10-06-2005, 16:57
With free flies ;)

and the wiggiest hair you've ever seen after driving home tonight with the top down

however, I do actually have proper air con in my car and absolutely no idea where the switch is or how to use it. One job for the weekend methinks ;)

Paul K
10-06-2005, 17:21
With free flies ;)

and the wiggiest hair you've ever seen after driving home tonight with the top down

however, I do actually have proper air con in my car and absolutely no idea where the switch is or how to use it. One job for the weekend methinks ;)
Is this a RTFM moment? :p: Tried looking around but can't find a clear picture of the dashboard controls etc so can't really say what you need to look for :( Have fun trying all the switched though ;)

Charlie_Bubble
10-06-2005, 17:23

Should be a little button with a picture that looks like a little snowflake on it. :)

budwieser
10-06-2005, 19:49
And don`t forget that to get the best from your Air con, you have to have the controls set to `Recirculate` as opposed to letting fresh air into the car.
Really you should run the aircon for at least 5 or 10 mins a week anyway just to keep the seals lubed up , even in the winter, or use it all the time.

Another thought, Have you changed the pollen filter recently as if this gets all clogged up, the air will have a problem getting into the car through the airbox!.
I agree that you are probably due for a re-gas as normally we think this should be done every two years.
If the Techie gasses the system and puts in the U.V dye, using the lamp he should be able to spot a leak within a few minutes. Also on the machine we use, in the vacuum cycle, it will vac out for 15 mins then check for 4 mins that the vacuum is holding before it will allow us to oil and gas the system.
Just my 2 cents worth but i hope it helps you. :)

Tricky
10-06-2005, 21:00
Just as a suggestion (not read the whole of this thread) I had a Peugeot 306 that the aircon failed on, I filled the coolent res up a little and it suddenly started to work again. So my 1st advice is check all your levels cos a quick top up might save you £65+VAT etc.

Mal
10-06-2005, 21:03
however, I do actually have proper air con in my car and absolutely no idea where the switch is or how to use it. One job for the weekend methinks ;)Did the car not come with a manual? :)

budwieser
10-06-2005, 21:20
Just as a suggestion (not read the whole of this thread) I had a Peugeot 306 that the aircon failed on, I filled the coolent res up a little and it suddenly started to work again. So my 1st advice is check all your levels cos a quick top up might save you £65+VAT etc.

Sound advice mate and some that i didn`t think of!:dunce:

fireman328
10-06-2005, 22:13
Thanks everyone for joining this thread, I have been out since about 5.00 pm and just caught up to date.
I will continue the saga after my vist to the AC repairers and my bowling commitments tomorrow.
Its really nice to know that people in this forum do care about others problems and provide their time and advice freely. I hope I can do the same for anyone who would like my advice in the future.
Please dial 999 BEFORE contacting me though.

Tuftus
10-06-2005, 22:41
Speaking of Air Con and re gassing, does anyone know / recommend a place in Northampton / Milton Keynes that are any good?

Wicked_and_Crazy
10-06-2005, 23:02
Speaking of Air Con and re gassing, does anyone know / recommend a place in Northampton / Milton Keynes that are any good?

some on the bottom of this page. Are any local to you?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=14

fireman328
11-06-2005, 11:41
Just returned home from garage, the job took about 40 mins. The garage man just hooked it up to a box the size of a Krypton analyser and started it. Fully automatic, checked for leaks, old fluid pumped out, new fluid pumped in with U/V dyes.
Total cost £85.19 inc. dyes and VAT.
Froze my bo***cks off driving home.

Chimaera
11-06-2005, 12:21
Just returned home from garage, the job took about 40 mins. The garage man just hooked it up to a box the size of a Krypton analyser and started it. Fully automatic, checked for leaks, old fluid pumped out, new fluid pumped in with U/V dyes.
Total cost £85.19 inc. dyes and VAT.
Froze my bo***cks off driving home.
Tut,tut, some people are nver satisfied! :D
Glad you are freezing now - but I didn't realise aircon systems had to be re-filled or anything? Suppose I'd better break the news to my daughter and her T reg Fiesta!