PDA

View Full Version : enable VPN on NTL Cable modem

bunji
10-06-2005, 10:49
Hi, I have a cable modem, which i use to for internet access. My PC connects straight into it using the RJ45 socket.

I would liketo use a VPN connection. I can ping my destination IP no problem untill i enable the VPN Software, Then i get request time outs. Looking at the NTL site they have siad that they dont support VPN connections but do not block you from using VPN.

Someone mentioned to me that i have to either enable a setting on the modem or updates it firmware, dependant on its type. However the two types he mentioned are not my modem.

The modem is white and has a model number of 60174E-A12.

Can anyone advise me on this and what i need to do. If i need to make a setting change how can i find the IP address of my modem.

Thanks

Stuartbe
10-06-2005, 10:56
Hello Bunji and a big warm :welcome: from all of us at CF...

NTL dont block or filter any type of VPN connection. If you are getting time-outs when you are connected to the VPN then its most likely the VPN setup at the server end.

If however you are getting ping timeouts when you are trying to ping another ip address (IE Yahoo) then you have " use default gateway on remote network " switched on in the tcp/ip properties..

Can you post some screen-shots of the vpn connection blanking out any sensitive info and I will see if I can advise further :)

HTH

nash
10-06-2005, 11:03
Hi,
i have set up a working VPN connection in the past using NTL, you do need to open up certain ports if using a router, but you should be fine if using just a modem, there's a good section here http://www.chicagotech.net/ about VPN connections, if you want to take a look.

mick

bunji
10-06-2005, 11:08
Hi Stuartbe, thanks for the welcome. I cant post any scrrenshots at mo as at work, however, i have tested the vpn software from BT lines and whilst at work and it works no problem. Its only when i stick it behind the ntl modem it fails.

I am using checkpoint secure remote, and just pinging from a command prompt. I get successful pings untill i enable the secure remote to try and connect to the VPN server.

This would happen if the modem will not allow IPSEC, i presume.

Regards

Stuartbe
10-06-2005, 11:13
Hi Stuartbe, thanks for the welcome. I cant post any scrrenshots at mo as at work, however, i have tested the vpn software from BT lines and whilst at work and it works no problem. Its only when i stick it behind the ntl modem it fails.

I am using checkpoint secure remote, and just pinging from a command prompt. I get successful pings untill i enable the secure remote to try and connect to the VPN server.

This would happen if the modem will not allow IPSEC, i presume.

Regards

Hi m8...

IPSEC encrypts the packets within the tunell so that is not likely to be the problem, Unless you have IPSEC enabled on the network interface that the cablemodem is connected to. If this was the case however you would not be able to get on the net at all !!!

What type of VPN are you using "LT2P or PPTP" and are you running a local firewall or an external router ?

bunji
10-06-2005, 12:14
I am not sure of the LT2P or PPTP but you can find the info on my secureremote here:

http://www.checkpoint.com/products/vpn-1_clients/vpn-1_features.html

http://www.checkpoint.com/products/downloads/vpn-1_clients_datasheet.pdf

There is no firewall and not external router, all i would say is that if it was a firewall or vpn client issue, why would it work on BT Adsl and workplace??

Thanks

if i can find out the modem's ip address, i could check the settings with the html interface

bunji
10-06-2005, 13:15
I have spoken with my VPN support team and they have confirmed that the Secure Remote does use IPSec, so the modem does need to be enabled for IPSec pass through

rdhw
10-06-2005, 17:51
Secure Remote does use IPSec, so the modem does need to be enabled for IPSec pass throughCable modems require no alteration, adaptation, or configuration for IPSec. Typically "IPSec pass-through" is a feature that is relevant to routers, such as ADSL combined modem-routers, or stand-alone NAT routers, and is meaningless in the case of cable modems.