PDA

View Full Version : NTL:home 200 & Netgear MR314 Router - NO INTERNET

ninebar69
09-06-2005, 19:15
Hi,

I am having somewhat of a nightmare with a friends NTL broadband setup. He uses a standard NTL:home 200 CM and when connected via ethernet cable - no issues.

He has just bought a Netgear MR314 wireless router which he wanted connecting up. So I connect the router to the modem, and a wireless Netgear PCMCIA card to his laptop. Wireless works fine and can get to the Netgear config HTML pages. On the router I have a link light, and transfer lights for the WAN connection but no internet. When I go into the configuration of the router, no IP address is assigned to the router from the modem.

I have called NTL and confirmed his user/password details and entered these into the router ISP details (PPPoE).

This seems to be an autentication issue between the router and NTL but I don't know what else to try. Any advise would be appreciated.

Also, as I've never dealt with a NTL CM before - how does this normally authenticate as he has no credentails setup on his PC, he just plugs in it via his network cable and away he goes.

Please help ;-)

Paul K
09-06-2005, 19:25
Did you power off the router, PC and modem when connecting them together? After that you power up the modem, allow lights to lock, power up the router, allow it to settle, power up the pc.
Oh and you don't authenticate with user name and password, the connection is authenticated through the registered modem :)

ninebar69
09-06-2005, 19:35
Hi Thanks for responding.

Yes, I first powered up the CM until it was ready and configured on the NTL network. I then switched on the router until I had WAN link connection and a flickering data LED.

I then IPCONFIG on the laptop and picked up an IP from the router. Everything looks OK but no internet connection via the router.

So I assume I do not need the username/password details entered into the router, just left blank. Is the problem related to NTL not being able to authenticate the modem's MAC address through the router?

Thanks for any help you can provide ;-)

Paul K
09-06-2005, 19:45
Have you tried powering it all off again, connect the router via cable to the pc and try again with the power up routine? It might help the modem to communicate with router and PC to authenticate everrything.
If it were a wired router I'd be suggesting cloning the MAC address of the NIC that works when it's connected via cable.

ninebar69
09-06-2005, 19:52
I will suggest the second power option to him and get him to try.

I have wondered about cloning the MAC as this option does exist in the Netgear setup wizard. I have not done anything with this so far. Do you have to physically type the laptops IP directly into the router setup then or is this done automatically?

I've not done this before, can you not clone the NIC's MAC if its using a wireless PCMCIA NIC?

Thanks for your prompt reply m8

Paul K
09-06-2005, 19:57
The mac address is how NTL authenticates the connected equipment on the account. Normally just power cycling the equipment when connecting it would suffice to get everything registered properly but with wireless it can be a bit more work.
To clone the MAC address I would get the wired connection working, do an ipconfig /all and get the MAC/ physical address of the working connection. Then clone this MAC address into the router so that the cable modem sees this MAC address when it looks at the router.

ninebar69
09-06-2005, 20:14
Arrrr I see.

I'll pop over and try this tomorrow, and get back to you tomorrow with the results. Hopefully - fingers crossed it will work a treat.

So to recap,

I try the power up adjustments with the laptop 'wired' to the router. If no still no good I'll remove all the authentication settings just leave all as default. Just aquire his MAC address and enter this into the 'clone MAC' settings on the router config page.

I am however asked about the ISP encapsulation settings, these are either Ethernet, PPPoE, PPPTP

I assume I'll just use ethernet as no authentication is required.

Thanks again for your help Paul.

Nik

Paul K
09-06-2005, 20:25
I'd always go with defaults when prompted as you can always tinker later if it doesn't work lol ;)

ninebar69
12-06-2005, 00:55
Nice One, Its working,

It seemed it was the oder in which the devices were powered up. Also cloning the MAC was also required.

Thanks for your help Paul.:D