PDA

View Full Version : Can't upload to webspace

Graham
25-09-2003, 18:24
Hi there,

I'm trying to upload a file to my ntlworld webspace, but every time I do WSFTP LE reports:

! Send error: connection aborted
Transmitted 30208 bytes in 1.1 seconds (265.77), transfer failed
451 transfer aborted. Insufficient memory or file locked.

Can anyone help or suggest how to fix this?

Cheers,
Graham.

sheep
25-09-2003, 18:30
what address you trying to upload to?

should be ftp://username:password@upload.ntlworld.com

Password must be the orginal one that you registered with

Mark W
25-09-2003, 18:41
a few possibilities - your webspace is paped (pm me your details, and ill check the status of it for you), your firewall is getting in the way, you do not have admin privelages on your pc (thats a longshot), you webspace is full or your ftp client cant cope with those files.
try disabaling your firewall, and uploading through internet explorer :)

Graham
25-09-2003, 18:43
I'll PM you the details, but as for the last two suggestions, only after *everything* else has failed!!

swoop101
25-09-2003, 20:59
Try THIS (http://www.ftpx.com/) little application.

Last week it was the only way to get anything on my webspace.
(it's free)

HTH

sheep
25-09-2003, 21:14
ah thank you. I've been having problems too and so watching this thread with anticipation of a decent solution.

sheep
25-09-2003, 21:32
fiddlesticks.

I still can't upload even with that programme.

Seems to be an error somewhere :(

Defiant
25-09-2003, 21:34
Originally posted by Graham
Hi there,

I'm trying to upload a file to my ntlworld webspace, but every time I do WSFTP LE reports:

! Send error: connection aborted
Transmitted 30208 bytes in 1.1 seconds (265.77), transfer failed
451 transfer aborted. Insufficient memory or file locked.

Can anyone help or suggest how to fix this?

Cheers,
Graham.

I used to have problems myself uploading to the ruddy thing. I tried a few different apps including two of the best flashfxp and smartftp. In the end the best thing which worked too of course was Internet Explorer ;)

sheep
25-09-2003, 21:36
internet explorer isn't working for me at the moment though.

zoombini
26-09-2003, 08:18
Are you by chance using a 4000 type Set Top Box?

I have been told that they can cause problems which is most likely why I too am suffering the same problem.

Paul K
26-09-2003, 11:23
Just swapped out a 4000 series but for connection issues (upload dying at least once a day) was able to upload files if I power-cycled the STB to get it to lock back onto the network.
Uploads are working at the mo though, my latest uploaded file
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/irene.keeler/NTLali.jpg ;)

Graham
26-09-2003, 18:08
Well I've managed to get it to work with IE, but I don't consider that an ideal situation when everywhere else I want to upload to works fine with WS FTP :(

Mark W
26-09-2003, 18:59
Originally posted by Graham
Well I've managed to get it to work with IE, but I don't consider that an ideal situation when everywhere else I want to upload to works fine with WS FTP :(

Umm, it has to be your client thats sulking, if you upload with IE it cant be - umm....unlikley ;) - to be an ntl fault.

as for what, ill hold my hands up and admit ive no idea...

kronas
26-09-2003, 19:04
i might be talking a load of BS so please excuse me but might it not be a winsock file problem :shrug:

Graham
26-09-2003, 22:47
I can upload perfectly well to my business webspace and even my old Virgin Net space, it's only the ntl one that's giving problems.

Nemesis
01-10-2003, 13:35
I can upload perfectly well to my business webspace and even my old Virgin Net space, it's only the ntl one that's giving problems.
Has this been resolved ?

Graham
01-10-2003, 17:32
Nope. Small files will upload ok (10kb or so) anything larger than that gets the error message and fails.

I've just given up and uploaded the stuff to my business site pages instead!

Mark W
01-10-2003, 18:07
Nope. Small files will upload ok (10kb or so) anything larger than that gets the error message and fails.

I've just given up and uploaded the stuff to my business site pages instead!

hmmm....i though it had been fixed :(

if you can upload fine to your buisness site, and not your ntl one - using the same application, id strongly suggest you call tech support who will be able to raise a server support ticket for it to be investigated :)

Chris
01-10-2003, 18:49

I've always managed to upload to my ntl webspace with the password I chose after signing up with no probs, using a Mac FTP client called Transmit.

Graham
02-10-2003, 22:36
hmmm....i though it had been fixed :(

if you can upload fine to your buisness site, and not your ntl one - using the same application, id strongly suggest you call tech support who will be able to raise a server support ticket for it to be investigated :)

I did that before I posted on here.

After a) spending five minutes convincing the first person I spoke to that I *didn't* have the swen.a virus or any others and b) then sitting on hold for fifteen minutes waiting to speak to someone from tech support, I gave up and decided to see if anyone on here had any ideas!

gary_580
02-10-2003, 23:11
I always have problems uploading to my webspace. Tried all sorts of tools and none ever seem reliable, they all appear to work some of the time.

Came to the conclusion its NTL and gave up. I tried this last Friday, 8mb file got to 7.2mb uploaded before it failed. Other times it was at 10-15 kb. Says file locked or not enough memory or something like that.

Graham
04-10-2003, 12:48
gary: that's exactly the same problem I have had. If you find a solution, please post it here!

*jb*
23-11-2003, 19:26

I'm getting problems uploading with WS-FTP

Can someone please confirm for me (based on the above)

a) hostname

b) username

c) password - I assume is my ntlworld.com password that I currently use

d) account

Maggy
23-11-2003, 19:56

a) hostname

b) username

d) account

My password for my webspace is different to the one I use to access BB or my email.It was set up when I had trouble accessing my webspace by the kind Techy person who's name I've regretfully forgotten.

I have to say that since that occasion I've had no problems accessing my webspace.

Incog. :Yes:

homealone
23-11-2003, 21:51
seeing as you are using an ftp client app, rather than internet explorer, maybe try it this way?

set ftp://upload.ntlworld.com as the server (hostname)

your original username & password when you first signed up with NTL, should be entered into the appropriate fields.

not sure on the "account" option - try leaving it blank to start off? - post back if that doesn't work?

Mark W
23-11-2003, 21:52

a) hostname

b) username

d) account

check your PM's :)

MetaWraith
27-11-2003, 12:06
I use WSFLP_LE and LeechFTP both are working fine.
No problems here.

Mark W
27-11-2003, 17:12

a) hostname

b) username

d) account

all resolved? ;) :)

*jb*
27-11-2003, 17:40
all resolved? ;) :)

All now sorted - thanks for everything.

This site is so much better than the usenet groups!!

luftys
26-12-2003, 14:30
Can you help please,not been into my web space for over a year,can get into homepage and download,but need to get into site,can anyone please tell me wat address to type....
And this time I will write it down :idea:

threadbare
26-12-2003, 14:44
Can you help please,not been into my web space for over a year,can get into homepage and download,but need to get into site,can anyone please tell me wat address to type....
And this time I will write it down :idea:
what exactly do you mean can't get into site? I presume youcan view your webpage can't log in to upload to you web space

if so then in internet explorer >

'ftp://user.name@upload.ntlworld.com'

luftys
26-12-2003, 15:31
what exactly do you mean can't get into site? I presume youcan view your webpage can't log in to upload to you web space

if so then in internet explorer >

'ftp://user.name@upload.ntlworld.com'
Thanks Threadbare,I think I have a prob with my firewall and my ftp so will sort them out first then try again
Have a great new year

threadbare
26-12-2003, 15:45
Thanks Threadbare,I think I have a prob with my firewall and my ftp so will sort them out first then try again
Have a great new year
u 2 m8

swoop101
26-12-2003, 15:46
I always go straight in by using

ftp://username:?password@upload.ntlworld.com
(no ? between : and password)
you should then be ok then.

luftys
27-12-2003, 13:22
I always go straight in by using

ftp://username:?password@upload.ntlworld.com
(no ? between : and password)
you should then be ok then.
:wavey: swoop :wavey:

luftys
09-01-2004, 00:44
can anyone please tell me how to download an Image to a post on this site
Am using ntl web space,I know click on insert Image but dont know wat to put after that :cry:

swoop101
09-01-2004, 05:39
can anyone please tell me how to download an Image to a post on this site
Am using ntl web space,I know click on insert Image but dont know wat to put after that :cry:

Upload the image to your web space, go to your home page and click on said image, copy the http:// bit and paste said address into the add image box.
Job done - hopfully :D

luftys
09-01-2004, 18:31
Upload the image to your web space, go to your home page and click on said image, copy the http:// bit and paste said address into the add image box.
Job done - hopfully :D
:wavey: Thanks again Swoop