PDA

View Full Version : NTL 200 Cable Modem

jingleman
07-06-2005, 19:53
I have had various issues over a few months, mostly having to reboot modem several times to get on network - Yes, I have spoken to tech support who tell me network problems in my area (Stoke) are causing the issues when I don't think there are, now - Even people on the same cabinet across the road have no such problems. I'm sure it was/is something to do with renewal of the 'lease'.

However, once modem is online, I can't access http://192.168.100.1 (http://192.168.100.1/) to get any tech info no matter how many reboots, and other than steady ethernet, ready & sync lights, the usual network traffic that causes continual flickers of d/s etc is none existant, except when I am loading a page, once loaded, absolutely nothing flickers at all, ever - It's too steady and un-nerving!

As I say, the biggest tissue is getting sync & ready to be steady .. though of course today it booted up first time! I have tried ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew, all goes Ok for a couple of days, then problems return.

Any thoughts on the problem(s), please ?

Cheers

Florence
07-06-2005, 20:58
Can you ask one of your neighbours to try your modem or if you can try their SACM for a while. Just to check if you can get a steady Sync and rdy lights.

jingleman
07-06-2005, 21:03
Don't NTL have to move the MAC address to work for that line?

I seem to recall when my neighbours had major issues, I took mine across, but the tech support person had to temporarily move my MAC to their connection to test it?

I may be wrong!

ian@huth
07-06-2005, 23:19
If you are having trouble connecting to http://192.168.100.1/ make sure that you haven't got a proxy specified.

It sounds as if there may be a problem with your signal levels if you can't get the synch & ready lights steady. You will need an engineer visit if this is the case.

jingleman
08-06-2005, 12:24
If you are having trouble connecting to http://192.168.100.1/ make sure that you haven't got a proxy specified.

Doh! How come it's always the very simple things that normally you never believe others have forgotten, then you go and do it yourself :dunce:

It sounds as if there may be a problem with your signal levels if you can't get the synch & ready lights steady. You will need an engineer visit if this is the case.

Log attached

jingleman
08-06-2005, 21:09
If someone could kindly look at the power levels and such like, to see if they're OK, along with the critical errors - all shown in the attachmenet in previous post - I'd be very grateful

Cheers

Ignition
08-06-2005, 21:27
Modem is complaining about not receiving information at the right times from the uBR, and is showing a bit of a low receive power. Will require engineer visit.

jingleman
08-06-2005, 21:53
Modem is complaining about not receiving information at the right times from the uBR, and is showing a bit of a low receive power. Will require engineer visit.

When SACM first installed (I was the FIRST customer to have one :cool: ), the signal was too strong, so engineer fitted a 10DB attentuator between the internal box and the SACM. Can't get at it at the moment without pulling everything out from the wall, though :Yikes:

Thanks very much for the info, have a virtual pint on me :beer:

Cheers

Ignition
09-06-2005, 00:50
Yep pull the attenuator and it should be pretty much bang on.

jingleman
09-06-2005, 20:09
Yep pull the attenuator and it should be pretty much bang on.

Done - Would the attached now prove the point, please ?

Cheers

jingleman
13-06-2005, 19:40
Well, all appeared OK, not one critical error yesterday. However, today SACM booted up OK, then within a couple of minutes lost both its Sync and ready lights :(

It did however, recover all by itself and seems to be working OK now. From the log attached, should I be concerned by these errors?

Power levels much better since I removed the 10DB attentuator

Cheers

sollp
13-06-2005, 19:49
Well, all appeared OK, not one critical error yesterday. However, today SACM booted up OK, then within a couple of minutes lost both its Sync and ready lights :(

It did however, recover all by itself and seems to be working OK now. From the log attached, should I be concerned by these errors?

Power levels much better since I removed the 10DB attentuator

Cheers

Just another thing to look at, go through and check all the connections on the internal cable with a 7/16th spanner and GENTLY tighten them. If any are loose this will cause problems for you. Do not over tighten the one on the back of the modem as this could break.

jingleman
13-06-2005, 19:57
Just another thing to look at, go through and check all the connections on the internal cable with a 7/16th spanner and GENTLY tighten them. If any are loose this will cause problems for you. Do not over tighten the one on the back of the modem as this could break.

Thanks, already checked connecetions. Not too tight on modem, unlike the attenuator, I needed pliers to unscrew that :Yikes: