PDA

View Full Version : Cricket The General Cricket Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

yesman
04-06-2005, 18:36
Anyone on here follow Cricket ?

If so, what are your feeling's about the current Test match series against Bangladesh ?

Looking at the score for today at the Bangles 2nd innings of 261 for 8, which for them is actually very good, following a 1st innings total of 104 all out, giving them a total of 365, but are still chasing England's first inning's total of 447 for 3 declared.

Is this series a complete mis-match ? are England that good or are the Bangles not really of test match pedigree ?

This is of course leading up to an Ashes series, so in my opinion the opposition should be a lot better than it is if England need adequate match practice.

Just my thoughts :erm:

Roy MM
04-06-2005, 18:43
Seems a bit of a mismatch, but English football takes any team on prior to a big tournament, i just view it has a practice match.

iadom
04-06-2005, 19:22
The simple answer is that the Bangladesh team is hopeless. A slight improvement today which is good for our bowlers, having to work a little harder for their wickets is no bad thing, but overall embarrassing.

Bangladesh should never have been given test status, they should have done as New Zealand, Pakistan etc did before they gained full test status, and spend a several seasons touring England playing minor counties and occasionally county sides to become acclimatised to the very different conditions in this country. I am aware that as an association the Bangladesh cricket team have not got large cash resources, but if the other Asian teams want them in they should support them. Cricket is a massive financial business in India.

The one and only reason they achieved test status was political. The other 3 Asian test playing countries realised that with a 4th Asian team in the group they would be able to break the hold of the 'Anglo Saxon/ Antipodean' block within the ICC, regardless of how poor the Bangladesh team was and still is.
Zimbawe and Bangladesh should have their test status put under the microscope and if performances stay as poor as they are then it should be suspended for a while.
Being battered into defeat in around 2 days is of no use to either side.

iadom
13-06-2005, 17:21
Well the real stuff starts now, even if it is only joke cricket.

England vAustralia in a 20/20 match at the Rose Bowl. Just started on Sky One now.

Aragorn
13-06-2005, 17:27
Looking forward to the Ashes :) A mates actually got tickets for the Twenty-20 :envy - I better make do with the TV (do you mean Sky One or Sky Sports One) & Radio.

paulyoung666
13-06-2005, 18:39
sky sports 1 :)

Aragorn
13-06-2005, 18:41
sky sports 1 :) Making do with BBC Radio 5extra on the internet :( Have they blown a good start?

yesman
13-06-2005, 18:49
Aussies require 9 run's an over to win, if I have got my maths right.

Quite a total by England :tu:

iadom
13-06-2005, 19:14
Aussies 23 for 3. Dazzler is a star man.

Make that 24 for 4, what a game, :D :D

yesman
13-06-2005, 19:24
What on earth is going on, will the Aussies reach 50 ? :D

Getting carried away a bit here :p:

homealone
13-06-2005, 19:52
What on earth is going on, will the Aussies reach 50 ? :D

Getting carried away a bit here :p:

I don't blame you, I'm just streaming the Radio 5 coverage & can't believe what I'm hearing - 72 for 9 :Yikes:

Aragorn
13-06-2005, 19:55
But will they be able to repeat it in the Ashes?

Roy MM
13-06-2005, 19:58
This 20/20 game is a lottery

iadom
13-06-2005, 20:03
England win by 100 runs, how good was that, lottery or no, the Aussies do not give it away easily.

BBKing
13-06-2005, 20:04
But will they be able to repeat it in the Ashes?

Kerwallop. Excellent stuff. It's important to get one up on the Aussies - their mind games of the last few weeks can now be fed back to them. With interest.

England won by 100 runs, by the way.

:D

homealone
13-06-2005, 20:05
This 20/20 game is a lottery

good for the crowd, though - and a win by 100 runs in a 20 over game is a good morale boost for the England team.

I agree that the test matches - and even the one day games - are a different matter entirely ;)

Aragorn
13-06-2005, 20:06
Three ducks in the top order :shocked: Roll on Lords.

yesman
16-06-2005, 17:13
England on the move again..........

England v Bangladesh
Latest: England 164-0 (19 overs) Target: 191

Less than 30 to get with over 30 overs to go still :tu:

Aragorn
16-06-2005, 18:07
Business as usual against Bangladesh - must be quite embarassing for them. England barely broke sweat. Sunday (Aussies at Bristol) should be a closer match - I hope.

Gogogo
18-06-2005, 18:04
Something amazing is happening in Cardiff right now, one day international, the Aussies are going to be beaten by Bangladesh. This is amazing!!!!!

:Yikes:

iadom
18-06-2005, 18:15
Fantastic, well done the curry cowboys:D

Gogogo
18-06-2005, 18:24
Good cricket, the Bangla guys played very well, they worked hard. As for the Aussies could it be the Ashes will be England's (not forgetting the Welsh component) this year. The omens are gooooood!!!!!!

:) :) :) :)

BBKing
18-06-2005, 23:03
*cough*
*snort*
*chortle*

There'll be a few Aussies keeping their heads down on Monday, I reckon!

iadom
18-06-2005, 23:37
*cough*
*snort*
*chortle*

There'll be a few Aussies keeping their heads down on Monday, I reckon!

Hopefully, Freddie and friends will have them keeping their heads down tomorrow as well.
I managed to see most of the match today, it was no fluke, the best team won.:D

yesman
18-06-2005, 23:48
Hopefully, Freddie and friends will have them keeping their heads down tomorrow as well.
I managed to see most of the match today, it was no fluke, the best team won.:D

I still think the Aussies will be up for the Ashes series, even though thing's do look good at the moment, I still think it will be a close run thing.

Gogogo
19-06-2005, 12:30
England & Aussies ODI today so far so good 90 - 4 looking good.

:)

Gogogo
19-06-2005, 18:37
England & Australia ODI, terrific match, super performance by Kevin Pieterson
and we won. 253 - 7 marvellous. We beat the Australians!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

iadom
19-06-2005, 18:38
Now that was exciting, what a finish,:D :D :D

Big Kev must be in the test team after that display.

BBKing
19-06-2005, 18:39
Classic smash and grab action. Bangladesh in the final, anyone?

yesman
19-06-2005, 19:03
Great match in the end, although it did look a bit precarious at one point.
Fantastic inning's by Piertersen, also a great bowling performance by Harmison. :tu:

homealone
19-06-2005, 19:12
Great match in the end, although it did look a bit precarious at one point.
Fantastic inning's by Piertersen, also a great bowling performance by Harmison. :tu:

I just watched a replay of the catch by Collingwood - the look on Haydens face said it all :tu:

paulyoung666
19-06-2005, 19:20
top result :D :D :D :D

iadom
21-06-2005, 19:31
England 391-4,:Yikes: Bangladesh 33-2. How unlucky was Chris Tremlett, on a hat trick, third ball and the batsman hits the ball into the ground and it bounces straight up and down onto the bails and they don't move an inch.

paulyoung666
21-06-2005, 19:57
cant fault sky's coverage as well , the interactive content is spot on :tu: , come on england :D :D :D

BBKing
21-06-2005, 20:34
How unlucky was Chris Tremlett, on a hat trick, third ball and the batsman hits the ball into the ground and it bounces straight up and down onto the bails and they don't move an inch

Considering that the batsman ('Brimful Of' Ashraful) is now carving our bowlers around the ground, very unlucky. Makes it a rather more interesting game though!

What's the highest aggregate score in an ODI, anyone?

Got him! 94 - well played that man - wasn't just a fluke against the Aussies!

Answering my own question, 693 is the highest aggregate score - India made 349 and Pakistan 344. Bangladesh need 303 to beat that, or another 149.

yesman
26-06-2005, 12:21
Bangladesh seem to be making a fight of it in the latest one day game...

Latest: Bangladesh 88-1 (19 overs) (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4621731.stm)

iadom
01-07-2005, 23:50
Lancashire Hot Pots, bury Yorkshire Puddings.:p:

Todays Twenty20 match.
Lancashire 207 for 6 in 20 overs...Yorkshire 97 all out with 5 overs to spare. :D
"A reet gud stuffin". :cool:

iadom
02-07-2005, 19:23
If the rest of the summer is as exciting as this it will be brilliant.

Nat West Final Australia 196 all out ... England 196 for 9 match tied.
When you think that England where 33 for 5 at one stage it was a great recovery and overall a fair result.

homealone
02-07-2005, 19:31
If the rest of the summer is as exciting as this it will be brilliant.

Nat West Final Australia 196 all out ... England 196 for 9 match tied.
When you think that England where 33 for 5 at one stage it was a great recovery and overall a fair result.

sorry iadom, it was my fault - I watched the first 5 wickets fall round at a friends house, it was only when I left that they started to recover. The last couple of overs must have been amazing :tu:

Aragorn
03-07-2005, 10:16
I thought England bowled well to keep them to 196 - maybe they should have gone for the jugular at 93-5 - but I almost turned of at 33-5. Jones & Collingwood showed the rest what they should have been doing. Overall a tie is a fair reflection.

Aragorn
12-07-2005, 14:48
Another rearguard action this morning - Pietersen and Solanki clawing us up to 228. Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it will be enough though, esp as Solanki was subbed for Simon Jones - only 3 quickies, Collingwood, Giles and Vaughan/Solanki to bowl them out.

I reckon that 74 may have earned KP a place in the Ashes :tu:

Aragorn
12-07-2005, 15:46
Oh dear - 50 off 7 overs - someone ought to nobble Gilchrist!

Gogogo
12-07-2005, 16:06
72 -0

Much too painful to watch!!!

This is a puzzle there are days when England (not forgetting the Welsh contingent) play well but just lately urghhhh!!!

iadom
12-07-2005, 16:50
The one day stuff has gone on far to long, The tests should have started as soon as the three way series ended. England now look over cooked, Goughie must have played his last match for England, the Aussies are running into ominous form, time to put the pyjamas away.

Nugget
12-07-2005, 16:54
TBH, I don't really see the point in this little 'tournament' at all. I mean, the triangular tournament was a bit of a joke (although I did take a certain satisfaction in watching Bangladesh beat Australia :D ), but just having a few one-dayers before the tests start is asking for burnt-out players.

Shadow Demon UK
12-07-2005, 21:00
I think whoever won the toss and chose to bowl first today would win, and that was Australia. The batting display would have been very embarrassing for England if it wasnt for Pieterson and Solanki and the bowling display was embarrassing, Gough 37 off fours overs! Surely his last England game. :no:

TBH, I don't really see the point in this little 'tournament' at all. I mean, the triangular tournament was a bit of a joke (although I did take a certain satisfaction in watching Bangladesh beat Australia :D ), but just having a few one-dayers before the tests start is asking for burnt-out players.

I dont think theres much chance of players being burnt-out, county sides play about five days of cricket a week for six months straight! So the players should be used to playing this much plus they do have breaks in between all the test matches.

Aragorn
20-07-2005, 12:46
Less than 24 hours 'til the real work begins.

Any predictions here? 2-1 to England would be good.

If Vaughan wins the toss tomorrow and we have 250+/3 or 4 by the close it could be a close summer. On the other hand if we get skittled tomorrow or they post 300+ we could be sunk for the summer. Here's hoping for the former ;)

Shadow Demon UK
20-07-2005, 13:49
Any predictions here? 2-1 to England would be good.

What about the other two matches? :confused:

I think it will go down to the last match and hoepefully England will scarpe it, So England 3 Aussies 2. (hopefully)

Aragorn
20-07-2005, 14:01
What about the other two matches?

I was anticipating a couple of draws - I know England haven't had many draws recently, but with too good batting line-ups there is a good chance of at least one draw.

iadom
21-07-2005, 11:40
A good start from England, two good blows to the head, one drawing blood, and one lovely smack on the elbow, oh and a couple of wickets as well.:D

Roy MM
21-07-2005, 11:48
I was anticipating a couple of draws - I know England haven't had many draws recently, but with too good batting line-ups there is a good chance of at least one draw.

Plus our glorious English weather wil help.

3 down now come on England. :)

TigaSefi
21-07-2005, 13:06
5 down now, pretty good, I could have thought England could have done better.

Aragorn
21-07-2005, 15:20
Who would have predicted Aus 190 ao on the first day of the Ashes? What a start :D Keep it going lads.

ian@huth
21-07-2005, 16:14
England 19 - 4 . McGrath on fire. :(

Roy MM
21-07-2005, 16:16
England 19 - 4 . McGrath on fire. :(

What a disaster. :(

ian@huth
21-07-2005, 16:25
England 21 - 5 , another for McGrath.

McGrath has taken 5 wickets for 7 runs.

TigaSefi
21-07-2005, 16:29
Who would have predicted Aus 190 ao on the first day of the Ashes? What a start :D Keep it going lads.

evidently not!!! shambles lol.... but I expected nothing less.

gazzae
21-07-2005, 17:32
I imagine Hoggard is eating his words.

Aragorn
21-07-2005, 18:09
Oh dear, oh dear - someone nobble McGrath please!

I don't think this match will be drawn.

Shadow Demon UK
21-07-2005, 18:28
It was a bit of a shambles :( , but i think England need to think about it in a different way... They are only 98 runs behind Australia which isnt a huge amount of runs, but it does look bad for England.

Graham
21-07-2005, 18:32
I think someone needs to remind them that this is a Test Match not a bloody stupid 20/20 knockabout!! :(

iadom
21-07-2005, 18:46
The thing is whilst most of the Aussies got out to one day type attacking strokes, Englands batsmen got out playing mainly defensive shots. McGrath is just a class act.

homealone
21-07-2005, 18:46
I think someone needs to remind them that this is a Test Match not a bloody stupid 20/20 knockabout!! :(

personally I don't want a return to the likes of Boycott & Tavare, grinding it out at 10 runs an hour, but I agree we need to get in & settled, before trying to hit every ball out of the ground - at one point I could see England following on & it all being over tomorrow....:erm:

iadom
21-07-2005, 18:48
but I agree we need to get in & settled, before trying to hit every ball out of the ground - .:erm:

Thats just it, England didn't try to hit every ball out of the ground. I cannot think of one England batsman who got out to an attacking shot.

homealone
21-07-2005, 18:55
but I agree we need to get in & settled, before trying to hit every ball out of the ground - .:erm:

Thats just it, England didn't try to do that.

I have to hold my hands up & say I didn't see the wickets, Jim, I was thinking of the comparison with todays players approach to the game & the likes of Chris Tavare ( just looked it up & he once took over 5 hours to score 35 runs in a test match :Yikes: ), the 'modern' players do 'seem' more inclined to go for their shots, than that. I concede that what happened today was more to do with McGrath's bowling than England's poor batting. :)

iadom
21-07-2005, 19:36
I have to hold my hands up & say I didn't see the wickets, J :)
Trescothick, Strauss, Vaughan and Flintoff all out, rooted to the spot on the back foot. Pietersen, who is supposed to have a dodgy technique took a huge lunge down the wicket whenever he could and rarely looked in trouble, even against McGrath.

ian@huth
21-07-2005, 22:55
England are very lucky to still have first innings wickets standing. Half the balls bowled were within a whisker of hitting the stumps with the batsmen just letting the ball past with no intention of trying to hit it. If the Aussie bowlers had aimed to hit the stumps they would have bowled the lot out. I was watching a discussion (forget where) on determining the winner of one day matches where the scores are tied and they were talking about determining the result in a similar way to penalties in football. No batsmen were involved, just a bowler bowling at a set of stumps. It was amazing how many top line bowlers couldn't hit the stumps when bowling at normal pace.

iadom
21-07-2005, 23:02
I was watching a discussion (forget where) on determining the winner of one day matches where the scores are tied and they were talking about determining the result in a similar way to penalties in football. No batsmen were involved, just a bowler bowling at a set of stumps. It was amazing how many top line bowlers couldn't hit the stumps when bowling at normal pace.

A few years ago, dear old Devon Malcolm was involved in a 'bowl out' believe it or not, he bowled a bouncer.:D

NEONKNIGHT
21-07-2005, 23:07
I'll be going to Old Trafford cricket ground, Manchester, on Friday 12th August for the test match. Lashing of ginger beer all round as usual. Hic! :beer: Great day out, been going most years. I'm not the most avid supporter of cricket although i do enjoy watching it and drinking huge quantities of Guinness (very, very expensive inside the ground) - see you there! :tu: ;)

:angel:

yesman
22-07-2005, 05:44

There seem's to be a different approach to test matches these day's, hopefully they will try and stay batting all day today (Friday), but I have a feeling they won't last much past lunch time.

After all the pre match hype, maybe England's PR tactic's need re-thinking, but there is a long way to go yet.

Shadow Demon UK
22-07-2005, 09:33
I was watching a discussion (forget where) on determining the winner of one day matches where the scores are tied and they were talking about determining the result in a similar way to penalties in football. No batsmen were involved, just a bowler bowling at a set of stumps. It was amazing how many top line bowlers couldn't hit the stumps when bowling at normal pace.

This was a match between Surrey and Warwickshire in the 20/20 cup and the result of the bowl off was 4-3 to Surrey, so about 13 players couldnt hit the wicket without a batsman there. :erm: Some of the balls bowled were no where near the wicket, it was very funny to watch.

Gogogo
23-07-2005, 06:39
Now that I've had the opportunity to catch up on the Test match with Australia, I must admit I'm not surprised at the rather lack lustre performance of the England (not forgetting the Welsh members) team with some exceptions. Few would deny that this is the best team for years, they have the energy the enthusiam and they are a real team.

The writing was on the wall with the last series in South Africa it was to say the least a struggle. Now facing the Australians is a real test of skills. What I have seen is more like schoolboy cricket. Strauss has been the most disappointing one wonders whether the selectors could have kept Thorpe a little longer and played him rather than Strauss, give Strauss a rest but too late now. Kevin Pieterson is a real star more than once he has made a contribution that has saved the team now if he can handle bowlers of the calibre of a McGrath and McGrath is very good, then so should the other leading batsman. Don't these guys study the form the methods are they not doing their homework!

Well let's wait and see what happens today!

ian@huth
23-07-2005, 13:44
420 to find. Can we find them?

Graham
23-07-2005, 14:04

If our players just get their heads down and stop playing silly strokes or taking unnecessary risks.

yesman
23-07-2005, 14:05

You would have thought so wouldn't you, two and a half days of batting......
If the wicket's down by the end of today is 0, I will be pleased.
The top order batsmen need to show that they can bat this innings.

Gogogo
23-07-2005, 15:28
You would have thought so wouldn't you, two and a half days of batting......
If the wicket's down by the end of today is 0, I will be pleased.
The top order batsmen need to show that they can bat this innings.

Well so far so good, damm it Channel 4 has gone racing, have to listen to Radio 5, it's a test of skills, we know the English (plus the Welsh players) can do it, this when we could have done with Graham Thorpe the sort of steady player he is will be missed.

gazzae
24-07-2005, 16:51
5 for 53 and 4 for 29
2 for 19 and 4 for 64

Hoggard really will be eating his words tonight.

Graham
24-07-2005, 16:58
180 all out :(

What's going wrong with our batsmen? Is it too much one day or 20/20 or a lack of top quality bowlers in the domestic games for them to practice against?

Tuftus
24-07-2005, 17:03
What a shocker of a result.

:(

Gogogo
24-07-2005, 19:05
What a shocker of a result. :(

The real star in English cricket is Kevin Pieterson the man is virtually the England team a one man cricket match. The other batsman ought to be ashamed of their performance. But they must learn lessons and study the Australian bowlers: if Pieterson can do it so can they.

Tuftus
25-07-2005, 13:58
The real star in English cricket is Kevin Pieterson the man is virtually the England team a one man cricket match. The other batsman ought to be ashamed of their performance. But they must learn lessons and study the Australian bowlers: if Pieterson can do it so can they.

Agreed, he is however South African... lol

Gogogo
25-07-2005, 19:10
Agreed, he is however South African... lol

He has a remarkable enthusiasm a keeness and willing to fight and win this is a quality absent in the rest of the team, excluding Harmison. Maybe Pieterson should be given honourary citizenship, he's earned it, apparently he has a younger brother into cricket. Pieterson doesn't let Warne nor Mcgrath intimidate him.

Aragorn
25-07-2005, 19:19
I think there were signs of the right intent from others in the team.

Tres & Strauss has the highest opening stand of the match. Vaughan started positively in the first inns. Geraint showed some spirit in the first as well, even though he blew it in the second. Freddie & Jones did some decent bowling, except maybe Saturday AM.

I'm trying to be optomistic here ;)

Gogogo
25-07-2005, 20:07
I think there were signs of the right intent from others in the team.

Tres & Strauss has the highest opening stand of the match. Vaughan started positively in the first inns. Geraint showed some spirit in the first as well, even though he blew it in the second. Freddie & Jones did some decent bowling, except maybe Saturday AM.

I'm trying to be optomistic here ;)

I once saw Strauss being interviewed on TV when he felt fans were too optimistic. With that attitude I think he should consider his position, he's a good player but seems half hearted. I know it's easy for armchair critics to critisize but in the end one can see the faults both Pieterson and Harmison show that the team can generate enthusiasm.

iadom
30-07-2005, 14:57
Twenty 20 finals today.

Fantastic first semi final, Gods own county, Lancashire 217 for 4, beat Surrey 195 for 7.:D :D

Roy MM
30-07-2005, 22:18
Come on Lanky tighten up on your bowling lads, two down now.

65 for 3, come on lads.

Oh dear we are stuffed :(

iadom
30-07-2005, 22:20

Oh dear we are stuffed :(

well and truly, never mind, there is always next year.:)

Roy MM
30-07-2005, 22:50
well and truly, never mind, there is always next year.:)

Shut it :cry:]

Gogogo
04-08-2005, 09:27
Second Test for the Ashes

Ok, trying to keep calm and focus, let's all be positive and just hope England wins the toss for once and gets a good start...

:erm:

gazzae
04-08-2005, 09:45
Glenn McGrath out of the test!

iadom
04-08-2005, 09:59
I thought this was another of your wind ups, as in the football thread transfer stories, but no it is true.:D

Gogogo
04-08-2005, 10:29

Well he is a pretty good bowler, would rather he was bowling, if we were to gain the upper hand...no doubt Ponting would claim it was due to his absence...I would rather he were in it comes down to skills doesn't really if the guys had that sparkle of determination that Pieterson and Harmison have we would win! Here we go!

iadom
04-08-2005, 11:10
if the guys had that sparkle of determination that Pieterson and Harmison

You keep forgetting Freddie, I know his batting has suffered, but for sheer guts, aggression and determination his bowling is on a par with any player on either side. :)

yesman
04-08-2005, 12:36
Not a bad morning :tu:

England 132 for 1 at lunch

That is all I am going to say thus far :D

Gogogo
04-08-2005, 12:41
Yes, we musn't get tooooo excited! A good start, Channel 4 commentators were describing this Merlin gadget and how it replicates Shane Warne's little specialities, and it did look as if the guys had been practising on this Merlin bowling machine. Just goes to show a little effort goes a long way.

Disappointing Strauss lost his chance for 50, as for Freddie yes let's wait and see.

:) :tu:

andymt
04-08-2005, 12:44
lets hope vaughn gets lucky and scores more than his usual 3.

Gogogo
04-08-2005, 13:10
I'm a little amused by the headline on the Channel 4 sport news web site:

Ashes: Australia reveal terror attack fears (http://www.channel4.com/news/content/news-storypage.jsp?id=367151)

At first I thought our bowlers had been working up some specialities at practice but no it's about any more bombings! Jason G. thinks the team will want to go home if there are anymore bombings. I thought these Aussies were supposed to be tough guys!

:td:

gazzae
04-08-2005, 13:21
Maybe Dizzy is hoping it will detract from his poor form.

Gogogo
04-08-2005, 15:06
Freddie got 50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Roy MM
04-08-2005, 15:29
Freddie got 50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Hope he goes on to make a ton. :cool:

gazzae
04-08-2005, 15:50
Hope he goes on to make a ton. :cool:

You spoke too soon.

Gogogo
04-08-2005, 16:30
It's down to Kevin Pieterson again, if only we could have a team of Pietersons.

Still the team has played well today.

Oh dear spoke too sooooon.

yesman
04-08-2005, 16:38
The first innings is almost over 348 for 8, at least the score is a bit more respectable than the previous test.

I would have like to have seen England in over night (which still might happen) rather than being bowled out on the first day.

The milestone of 400 would be nice for that psychological effect :erm:
It would also give the bowlers something to go at.

Gogogo
04-08-2005, 17:29
407 not bad, good start. let's hope the English bowlers can smash those Aussie wickets quickly and wipe the cocky smile off Ponting's mush!

:tu:

ian@huth
05-08-2005, 16:40
Aussies 282-8. Can we polish them off quick?

ian@huth
05-08-2005, 17:16
308-9, one more to go.

308 all out, well done England.

iadom
05-08-2005, 18:04
I don't know why Strauss bothered taking his bat out with him, Warnie made him look a right wally.

Still all round, Englands day again.:D

BBKing
05-08-2005, 18:14
Was a bit of a peach, that ball.

124 for 1 though, effectively. Can't be bad.

Aragorn
05-08-2005, 20:02
700 runs and 21 wickets in 2 days - Test cricket doesn't get much better than that :)
Let's hope we consolidate tomorrow and leave them 350+ on a dodgy pitch.

ian@huth
06-08-2005, 10:26
If the pitch takes spin like it did last night they could end up chasing less than 200. That ball of Warne's was wicked.

Roy MM
06-08-2005, 10:50
Trescothic gone with a lame shot, got nicked to the WK :(

ian@huth
06-08-2005, 11:01
Vaughan goes too, what are England playing at? 29-3.

Now 31-4 :(

Roy MM
06-08-2005, 11:01
Night watchman gone, 31 for 4 :(

Gogogo
06-08-2005, 11:21
Night watchman gone, 31 for 4 :(

Actually, Matthew Hoggie did his best, I'm not sure it was wise to put him in. Already with Vaughan down and Strauss as usual now out we have a bad start. I'm not saying anymore, just fingers crossed at the moment.

TigaSefi
06-08-2005, 12:05
75-6 - Victory to Australia!! honestly, just feckin' bat Warne out of contention jeez... it like we got two seperate teams at the moment!

Roy MM
06-08-2005, 13:12
Why do NTL always fail to switch on Filmfour on racing/cricket days? :grr:

andymt
06-08-2005, 13:59
i think vaughn should be sacked.

he bats at no3, the place reserved for the best, and he only ever gets 1 or two mostly.
He is costing us the match!
also, KP Petiersen and Ian Bell being given out unfairly (channel 4 showed snicko and it showed that the ball did not clip them)

Bad umpiring and vaughn have cost us the match!
The only ppl who were justified in going out were Strauss (great ball by warne) and peitersen and bell, even though they shouldn;t be out lol.

We need Thorpe!
Get lost vaughn! And also, we need a better Wike-batsmen than G Jones.
Sorry for the complaints but i had to get it out!

ian@huth
06-08-2005, 14:47
A couple of the Australians were also given out unfairly so it tends to even things out. Watching on TV with the benefit of several different angles, snickometers and ultra slow motion cameras can show the umpire got decisions wrong but they only have one angle and no slow motion. Overall the umpires do a very good job and the only way to improve things would be to allow the third umpire to review all decisions using the available technology.

Vaughan hasn't done such a bad job for the country during his time in control IMHO.

England have a pretty fair lead which will mean Australia have to beat the all time highest 4th innings score for a win in test matches at Edgbaston if they are to go on and win.

Never seen a field setting like the Australians have at the moment. Nine men all on the boundary.

England 182 all out, a sterling performance from Flintoff. Australia need 282 to win, can they do it? It would mean the highest ever 4th innings score in a test match at Edgbaston.

Gogogo
06-08-2005, 15:15
i think vaughn should be sacked.

he bats at no3, the place reserved for the best, and he only ever gets 1 or two mostly.
He is costing us the match!
also, KP Petiersen and Ian Bell being given out unfairly (channel 4 showed snicko and it showed that the ball did not clip them)
Bad umpiring and vaughn have cost us the match!
The only ppl who were justified in going out were Strauss (great ball by warne) and peitersen and bell, even though they shouldn;t be out lol.
We need Thorpe!
Get lost vaughn! And also, we need a better Wike-batsmen than G Jones.
Sorry for the complaints but i had to get it out!

Whoa there, agreed decisions re: Pieterson & Bell in error, but and it is always a big but, the umpire can only make a judgement based on what he sees, we have TV replays etc in the case of lbw at least. Having done the umpiring job myself in school competitions,it's difficult sometimes.

Thorpe, the interview with Atherton interesting I suspect more to this deselecting business, but you are right I think Thorpe has the experience the team needs. Frankly, I'm sure he could have done a better job than Strauss.

andymt
06-08-2005, 15:43
thorpe is not an opener, strauss is pretty solid most of the time, i think that thorpe could have replaced vaughn in captincy, or maybe replaced ian bell, but i do think ian bell is a good upcoming star and that bell needs experience, so he should not be dropped.

We really need to remove our hats to flintoff and s.jones, they did a magnificent job.

ian@huth
06-08-2005, 16:06
Flintoff comes on to ball on a hat trick. First ball survived but second ball gets a wicket. Australia 47-1

Then Flintoff gets Ponting, 48-2

Roy MM
06-08-2005, 16:07
What can you say about this man? brilliant.

BBKing
06-08-2005, 17:52
Going pretty well - Flintoff's being kept in reserve for the tail I reckon - the other bowlers seem to be on top of the Aussie top order for the most part.

If he pulls it off it's the Flintoff Test for sure. 141 runs from 148 balls over two innings, five wickets so far and he's just caught Gilchrist!

And there goes Gillespie lbw Flintoff 0. Identical to the first innings. Three needed.

Roy MM
06-08-2005, 17:59
They must ask for the extra 30 minutes.

They've got it.

Gogogo
06-08-2005, 18:55
An enjoyable days play with lots of tension. So, what surprises will tomorrow have in store?

The team seemed to awoken Freddie clearly worked hard as did Giles, well they all did.

Maggy
06-08-2005, 20:20
What a great ending to a great match...Yep I'm married to a cricket nut. :D

iadom
06-08-2005, 20:36
I was out in the car early this afternoon when Freddie was wreaking havoc, listening to TMS, Blowers was commentating, and not for the first time he got completely carried away, at one point he said "and Botham hit that ball like" :D

Fantastic days cricket, full of the twists and turns that test cricket provides, like no other game can.:cool:

And the day ended just like yesterday, with a peach of a delivery from Harmison this time.

yesman
06-08-2005, 23:04
It was nice to see Shane Warne congratulate Andrew Flintoff on his batting performance after his dismissal. (73), Coming from the greatest bowler in the world, that was a nice gesture.

England should wrap up this test match tomorrow (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4128018.stm), but stranger things have happened :erm:

Roll on the next match :)

BBKing
07-08-2005, 11:20
It was nice to see Shane Warne congratulate Andrew Flintoff

Even better to see the rotund Aussie tread on his own wicket, after he'd given Harmison some ruthless treatment. Flintoff's storming in again now - one wicket needed to win.

yesman
07-08-2005, 11:37
This is getting to close for comfort :disturbd:

ian@huth
07-08-2005, 12:10
Pheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew. can't believe it.

I thought we were done for but miracles do and have happened. Sets the series up nicely.

Roy MM
07-08-2005, 12:11
Oh boy i can breathe now. :D

BBKing
07-08-2005, 12:13
My nerves are absolutely shredded - shame there's no whisky in the house, but I'm shaking too much to pour it out. That was an incredible effort from the Aussies, no mistake, and I'm now suing them for mental cruelty.

Charlie_Bubble
07-08-2005, 12:16
Wahey! Couldn't get it much closer! :D

Gogogo
07-08-2005, 15:24
This was a very exciting match, every heartstopping moment. The England team played very well, the match may have ended earlier save for a few missed opportunities. Vaughan and team wonderful. We look forward now to the Third Test, when hopefully the Australians will face a further defeat.

Graham
07-08-2005, 21:06
Damn and I was working today. I'll have to catch the highlights :(

yesman
07-08-2005, 21:16
It was a thriller, probably one of the best test matches ever, if not the best !! It had everything.

I am not sure if I would be saying that had we lost though :D

bayonet
07-08-2005, 21:31
Yes the old sphincter was a bit tight to say the least!!!!I missed the end of the match as the present Mrs bayonet decide she wanted to go for a walk heard the finish in Langland Bay car park when Jones took the last catch the guy in the car behind me gave me some funny looks.

Funny when we play cricket we support the England team, rugby football we're Welsh through and through still the Jones boys came to the rescue in the end eh lads??

It wouldn't have surprised me if England had lost as they did their best to lose it but this Aussie side are a bit special, lets hope McGrath's injury keeps him out for the series. he is still the best fast bowler in the world and Warne the best spinner. The ball he did Strauss with was unplayable........another Gatting ball.

Roy MM
07-08-2005, 21:35
I've been around some time, but this T-match was special, it had everything, if all T-matches was like this coronary wards would be on overtime. :D

iadom
07-08-2005, 23:09
Funny when we play cricket we support the England team, rugby football we're Welsh through and through still the Jones boys came to the rescue in the end eh lads??

We won't mention the catch that "Jones the Bowler" dropped on the third man boundary that would have given Freddie a five for, and wrapped it up two overs earlier then. ;)

yesman
07-08-2005, 23:32
I have to say, "Hats off" to Warne, Kasprowicz, and especially Brett Lee for their part in this classic encounter, for their fighting batting spirit.

I also have to say, that I am really looking forward to the rest of this "Ashes" series, whatever the outcome.

It's about time we had a team worthy of competing with Australia, which is probably the best cricketing side the world has seen to date.

bayonet
08-08-2005, 07:31
Yes I bet Mr Lee has a few sore fingers this morning, I think Mr Jones still remembers that horror injury in Australia regarding that catch. Don't think he's going to dive anywhere, been a hell of catch at any time...........under that pressure it would have been brilliant.

BBKing
08-08-2005, 12:44
I'd rather Jones the Keeper hung on to a few more! At least he caught the one that mattered.

It's technically the England and Wales team* of course, which makes supporting it fine if you're Welsh, and anyway, a few years ago you'd be hard-put to find an English-born player in it at times (Hussain, S Jones, G Jones, Croft, Lamb, Smith, A Hollioake, Malcolm, Caddick, Pieterson, Solanki - you can make up a decent 11 there).

*Wikipedia:"The English cricket team is a national cricket team representing England and Wales. It is administered by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB)."

Graham
08-08-2005, 14:59

Well even though I knew what the result was, that was still pretty damn stressful!

The Aussies could have just given up and folded, but they went out and made sure England had to work for every wicket and took all the opportunities that were left open to them.

Frankly, even though I'm an England supporter, the Aussies deserved to win that match just for sheer effort, especially given the rather duff tactics the English seemed to be using.

Still, with the series at 1:1 we can hopefully look forward to some great cricket in the next few matches.

iadom
09-08-2005, 10:09
Come on, all together, "Things can only get better"

oh dear (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4133096.stm) :D

Unless this means they call up Andrew Symonds, I cannot believe they can leave him out of their test side.

Aragorn
09-08-2005, 11:22
This reminds me of the injury problems we had in Oz last time - S Jones knee, etc.

Lets hope we take advantage at Old Trafford and go 2-1 up :)

gazzae
11-08-2005, 15:14
"oooohhhh nice ball warney"
"oooohhhh well bowled warney"

Shut up Gilchrist

NEONKNIGHT
11-08-2005, 15:23
195 for 2 so far.:clap: Come on England! I might get to see them carrying on their innings when I go to Old Trafford tomorrow for the second days play. :D

:beer:

Roy MM
11-08-2005, 15:25
195 for 2 so far.:clap: Come on England! I might get to see them carrying on their innings when I go to Old Trafford tomorrow for the second days play. :D

:beer:

Not bad for the first session, just hope they can build on it.

Aragorn
11-08-2005, 15:29
So far so good. I hope Vaughan gets a big hundred :) - a bit lucky with the dropped catch and no ball :D

Having said that, I remember last summer they were ~300+ for 2/3 after day one and folded quickly on day two (against WI, iirc). As they say the well padded female hasn't started warbling yet ;)

yesman
11-08-2005, 16:39
Vaughn 150 n.o. :tu:

Roy MM
11-08-2005, 16:58
Vaughan out 166, good knock tho.

Aragorn
11-08-2005, 17:05
Missed out on that double hundred again :D - Now for some Pietersen fireworks ;)

yesman
11-08-2005, 18:06
341 - 5 at the finish, I think I would have taken that at the start of play today. :)

Gogogo
11-08-2005, 18:42
341 - 5 at the finish, I think I would have taken that at the start of play today. :)

A good day's cricket, very pleased to see the England team in fighting mood. Vaughan, Trescothick and Bell have done well, Pieterson unfortunately and sadly caught out too soon but he tried hard and Strauss gets his usual 6 why is this man in the team? Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Graham
11-08-2005, 19:14
Well it seems England had the "good batting side" at the crease today.

I wonder if they'll bring them along again tomorrow...?

iadom
11-08-2005, 19:14

Only if we don't lose early wickets tomorrow morning, sometimes the batsmen have to remember it is a five day test and occasionally play like Ian Bell.

bayonet
12-08-2005, 09:38
It was a good toss to win my concern is what happens when the convicts bat? We'll see what our bowling attack is made of on this pitch, when Glenn McGrath struggles (he was unlucky having so many catches dropped and the no ball when he "bowled" Vaughan) then it doesn't bode well for our bowlers. Did he come back too early from that injury?

Pietersen still has that one day cricket mentality when he bats, bit like Flintoff used to be. Flintoff is now learning how to bat in test cricket and he is a better player for it a lot of that is down to Fletcher's coaching.

Graham
12-08-2005, 13:41
Well 444 all out is not a bad score by any means and there were definitely some good innings in there (ok with a bit of luck, but that's cricket)

Now the question is can England get their good fielding side on the pitch...?

Roy MM
12-08-2005, 16:29
115 for 4 the Aussies are struggling. :D

iadom
12-08-2005, 16:45
115 for 4 the Aussies are struggling. :D

Who needs Warnie when you have Gylo King of Spain [sic]
129-5:D

yesman
12-08-2005, 18:27
Great Stuff !!!!!!!!!!!

Aussies 210 - 7 at the close, they need another 35 to avoid the follow on, England looking good to go 2 - 1 up in the series, but.......... anyone know thw weather forecast in Manchester is for tomorrow ?

Roy MM
12-08-2005, 18:30
Light rain forecast.

Graham
12-08-2005, 20:43
Great Stuff !!!!!!!!!!!

Aussies 210 - 7 at the close, they need another 35 to avoid the follow on, England looking good to go 2 - 1 up in the series,

I think the Aussies will make the follow on target (especially given their performance in the last Test), hopefully, though, the England team will be able to put on a good score to leave the Aussies 250+ to win.

but.......... anyone know thw weather forecast in Manchester is for tomorrow ?

There are predictions of possible rain and bad light :(

iadom
12-08-2005, 21:01
I would not enforce the follow on, get a quick 250/300 and give them 450/500 to get on a wearing pitch.

homealone
12-08-2005, 21:04
Great Stuff !!!!!!!!!!!

Aussies 210 - 7 at the close, they need another 35 to avoid the follow on, England looking good to go 2 - 1 up in the series,

I think the Aussies will make the follow on target (especially given their performance in the last Test), hopefully, though, the England team will be able to put on a good score to leave the Aussies 250+ to win.

but.......... anyone know thw weather forecast in Manchester is for tomorrow ?

There are predictions of possible rain and bad light :(

I hope that doesn't lose any time - they made up the 20 minutes, today.

The match could yet get as tense & exiting as Edgebaston (_must_get_DVD_) , quality cricket from both sides, England need to mop up the tail better than they did in Birmingham :p:

(p.s. did you see Flintoff's no ball, there, which carried to the boundary and gave away 5 runs :p: :D )

Graham
12-08-2005, 22:13
(p.s. did you see Flintoff's no ball, there, which carried to the boundary and gave away 5 runs :p: :D )

Eh? Are you sure about that?

AFAIK a no ball that goes to the boundary should be scored as 4 extras.

yesman
12-08-2005, 22:52
If you are a real cricket nut, this (http://live.wturrell.co.uk/sportsline/2005-cowdrey-lecture-geoff-boycott.mp3) is worth a listen imo.

Click the link to listen or right click and "save target as" to save it to your hard drive and listen to it later.

It is Geoff Boycott talking about the state of the current game, worth a listen if you are a real cricket fan. (file size 31MB)

gazzae
13-08-2005, 06:31

4 extras for the boundary + 1 for the no-ball AFAIK

bayonet
13-08-2005, 08:46
It is only 4 runs the the higher score counts not both and they get an extra ball as normal with the no ball going against the bowler as normal.

5 is scored if the ball hits a helmet the fielding side are using,that's why they tend to be placed directly behind the stumps,less chance of being hit.

Back to the game if we can get them out early today, I'd bat again get another 200 to 250 and declare. If the Aussies then get ahead with Giles turning it now, imagine what Warne could do on the last day. Problem is the weather forecast isn't too good for today.

Roy MM
13-08-2005, 11:14
Looking out of my window (N M/cr) it doesn't look to promising, we are v overcast and drizzle, this my pan out to be a drawn game if things don't improve soon. :(

bayonet
13-08-2005, 11:20
Yes watching big boys rugby Aus vs NZ SS2 Aus just scored a try getting it checked by video ref

It's a try Aus 11 NZ 0

Roy MM
13-08-2005, 11:24
Yes watching big boys rugby Aus vs NZ SS2 Aus just scored a try getting it checked by video ref

It's a try Aus 11 NZ 0

:erm: not cricket is it?

bayonet
13-08-2005, 11:38
Any port in a storm me as you say it's not cricket but it's a hell of a substitute

C4 just gone to an episode of Friends so doesn't look too good

What's it looking like at your end RoyMM are you far from the ground?

Graham
13-08-2005, 14:59

Nope, IIRC it's either one or the other, not both.

Roy MM
13-08-2005, 15:07
Any port in a storm me as you say it's not cricket but it's a hell of a substitute

C4 just gone to an episode of Friends so doesn't look too good

What's it looking like at your end RoyMM are you far from the ground?

Sorry was watching football, still raining on and off here, i'm a few miles from the ground but the weather will no doubt be the same.

homealone
13-08-2005, 15:13

check out

There was slightly better news for Australia when there overnight total of 210-7 was boosted by four runs, after umpire Steve Bucknor's mistake on Friday was amended.

Bucknor signalled a Simon Jones no-ball but he did not signal a four after the ball had raced past batsmen Matthew Hayden and to the boundary.

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4147978.stm

- if it was 4 runs only, the score would have been adjusted by 3 runs, not 4 ??

Graham
13-08-2005, 15:30
There was slightly better news for Australia when there overnight total of 210-7 was boosted by four runs, after umpire Steve Bucknor's mistake on Friday was amended.

Bucknor signalled a Simon Jones no-ball but he did not signal a four after the ball had raced past batsmen Matthew Hayden and to the boundary.

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4147978.stm

- if it was 4 runs only, the score would have been adjusted by 3 runs, not 4 ??

It should have been as far as I can see.

There again, when someone posting on the BBC's site mistakes "there" for "their" I'm possibly going to be a bit sceptical about the accuracy of the rest of their post...!! ;)

homealone
13-08-2005, 15:39
<snip>

There again, when someone posting on the BBC's site mistakes "there" for "their" I'm possibly going to be a bit sceptical about the accuracy of the rest of their post...!! ;)

nah, presuming that poor grammar implies a lack of knowledge of the laws of cricket, even if it might be correct, is a non sequitur. ;)

It isn't a major issue - it's just the first time I recall 2 bowlers bowling no-balls which carry to the boundary, in consecutive matches :)

Graham
13-08-2005, 15:55

nah, presuming that poor grammar implies a lack of knowledge of the laws of cricket, even if it might be correct, is a non sequitur. ;)

Touche' :D :PP:

It isn't a major issue

You're just still narked about that quiz question...! :angel:

homealone
13-08-2005, 16:04
It isn't a major issue

You're just still narked about that quiz question...! :angel:

:LOL: - well, not 'narked', as it wouldn't have made any difference to the result, it just seemed ironic that having guessed an answer, it then occurred :D

gazzae
13-08-2005, 16:15

13. Runs resulting from a No ball †“ how scored
The one run penalty for a No ball shall be scored as a No ball extra. If other penalty runs have been awarded to either side, these shall be scored as in Law 42.17 (Penalty runs). Any runs completed by the batsmen or a boundary allowance shall be credited to the striker if the ball has been struck by the bat; otherwise they also shall be scored as No ball extras.
Apart from any award of a 5 run penalty, all runs resulting from a No ball, whether as No ball extras or credited to the striker, shall be debited against the bowler.
http://www.sheetudeep.com/cricket/rule_noball.html

iadom
13-08-2005, 17:13

Seeing as we are all being pedantic, it was Jones, not Flintoff. :)

iadom
13-08-2005, 19:22
Well, he may have taken the winning catch in the last match, but time will tell just how costly the two dreadful mistakes by Jones the Keeper are going to be. I know the old adage of "don't change a winning team" but Hoggard and Jones the Keeper need to pull their fingers out to justify remaining in the side.

Most local club keepers would have snaffled those two.:(

BBKing
14-08-2005, 11:05
Most grandmothers would have had a chance too. Still, the King of Spin just held onto one to get Warne out for 90, so hopefully the last two won't hang about and we can get England batting again.

iadom
14-08-2005, 12:40
Well done, Jones the Bowler, excellent performance. Strauss has just worn one from Lee again. :(

Graham
15-08-2005, 02:06

Ah, I see what you're getting at, but it's not quite the same thing.

With the no ball going to the boundary, there are two *separate* events, ie firstly the one run for a no ball is "instantly" awarded, then, subsequently, if it goes to the boundary *another* four runs are added.

Whilst this totals five, of course, it's actually one extra plus four extras, not an automatic award of five immediately.

Here's the Lord's cricket site with the full laws of the game: http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/

Anyway, back to the game:

Full credit to the Aussies for surviving this (well, yesterday!) evening, although they were a) a little lucky and b) pushing their luck with a risk of an (optional!) five penalty runs for delay of play!

399 to win, not impossible, but can England get 10 wickets???

homealone
15-08-2005, 03:29

Ah, I see what you're getting at, but it's not quite the same thing.

With the no ball going to the boundary, there are two *separate* events, ie firstly the one run for a no ball is "instantly" awarded, then, subsequently, if it goes to the boundary *another* four runs are added.

Whilst this totals five, of course, it's actually one extra plus four extras, not an automatic award of five immediately.

Here's the Lord's cricket site with the full laws of the game: http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/

Anyway, back to the game:

Full credit to the Aussies for surviving this (well, yesterday!) evening, although they were a) a little lucky and b) pushing their luck with a risk of an (optional!) five penalty runs for delay of play!

399 to win, not impossible, but can England get 10 wickets???

was Bell 'guilty' of scoring too slowly, - should freddie have been put in to tickle the scoreboard .... :dunce:

Roy MM
15-08-2005, 04:55
Was impressed by Vaughans bowling last evening, he should step up more often, and on the question can we bowl them out today, i seriously think we can.

gazzae
15-08-2005, 09:05

Thats exactly what I said earlier in the thread..

Graham
15-08-2005, 13:27
Well it's currently 129 for 2.

Unless England do something special PDQ it looks like the Aussies are going to be able to grind out a draw :(

Graham
15-08-2005, 14:03
165 for 4, there's still hope...

... trouble I've got to get on with some work, so I won't be watching, but I'll be listening to TMS.

Chris
15-08-2005, 14:06
Can someone please explain, for the benefit of someone who finds cricket completely uninteresting (except when England look like they might beat Australia!) why England declared yesterday when they could have piled on a load more runs and left the Aussies an impossible target?

Nugget
15-08-2005, 14:08
Can someone please explain, for the benefit of someone who finds cricket completely uninteresting (except when England look like they might beat Australia!) why England declared yesterday when they could have piled on a load more runs and left the Aussies an impossible target?

TBH, Mrs Nug asked me exactly the same question yesterday, and I couldn't think of a good answer.

The only reason I could think of is that, sledging and bodyline aside, cricket is still a 'gentlemans game' and, as such, it was a sporting decision to give the Australians a chance.

Other than that, it makes absolutely no sense :shrug:

Flubflow
15-08-2005, 14:10
Play your own game of cricket on your office desktop on or the bus...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Owzthat-Vintage-1950s-Cricket-Game_W0QQitemZ5228791152QQcategoryZ2853QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
These two special dice, a scorecard and pencil is all you need to play "Owzthat".

We used to play this when we were kids during those rainy summer holidays on in the back of the car on long journeys. Ok, it's tad low-tech but we were obviously very easily pleased in the 60's/70's. You could always spice it up by making up your own dream team scorecards and introduce a betting element.

They still sell them new it seems.... http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/pages/moreinfoa.asp?pe=FFDCCG&cid=880
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/pages/moreinfoa.asp?pe=BFCEIJDQ_+owzthat+deluxe&cid=880

I've still got mine in a draw somewhere but I can't bothamingwell find them.

There's always the more hi-tech but less portable javascript version...
http://www.christhomas123.co.uk/owzthat/

gazzae
15-08-2005, 14:16

Because they have to give themselves enough time to bowl the aussies out to win the game, they don't want a draw.

Roy MM
15-08-2005, 14:17
If the Aussies were not given a reasonably target, it would have been a draw because they would have had batsmen that had not played.

Flubflow
15-08-2005, 14:39
TBH, Mrs Nug asked me exactly the same question yesterday, and I couldn't think of a good answer.

The only reason I could think of is that, sledging and bodyline aside, cricket is still a 'gentlemans game' and, as such, it was a sporting decision to give the Australians a chance.

Other than that, it makes absolutely no sense :shrug:

Talking of "bodyline", I remember a really good brit-ozzy callaborated tv mini-series about 20 years ago called "Bodyline:It's Just Not Cricket" which was a dramatisation of the period in cricket when that very controversial technique was first used in the 1932-33 Ashes. Australian Don Bradman was played in the movie superbly by Gary Sweet and a fantastically evil Hugo Weaving (a la The Matrix) plays the nasty englishman Doug Jardine who was responible for pushing this "leg theory" (or "bodyline" as the press labelled it).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086672/
I'd love to see it again.

Salu
15-08-2005, 15:13
I believe the word Cricket is derived from the Latin, Cricketius meaning to yawn.

homealone
15-08-2005, 16:22
7 down - come on England :tu:

zovat
15-08-2005, 16:25
265 for 7 - just need to get Ponting out !!!!

Aragorn
15-08-2005, 16:32
Forget Ponting - just need Warne, Lee & McGrath ;)

zovat
15-08-2005, 16:36
true - but ponting would just demoralise the remainder completely ....

TigaSefi
15-08-2005, 17:40
Bowlers are tired so it a draw or a win for Australia.

Aragorn
15-08-2005, 19:10
Aaarrrghhh - sooo close :(

Graham
16-08-2005, 03:20

It is not sufficient for the Australians not to reach the target as a game of cricket requires two innings for each side (ignoring, for the moment, the "follow on" rule).

This means that, to win, England would have to dismiss all the Australian batsmen and, for the Australians to win, they would have to achieve the total England have set for them.

If neither of these happen then the game is a draw as happened today.

The "follow on" can be enforced when the team that bats second has not managed to get a score at least 200 runs below the team that went first (in a five day game), in which case they can be made to bat again.

As to today's game...!!!

Damn, that was seriously stressful, but it, regrettably proves that whilst England are a lot better than they have been in recent years, they're *still* not quite good enough.

Australia once again demonstrated that they have the ability to bat practically right down the order wheras England have demonstrated that they can't quite keep it together when it gets to the crunch, with dropped catches and wayward bowling :(

a fantastically evil Hugo Weaving (a la The Matrix) plays the nasty englishman Doug Jardine who was responible for pushing this "leg theory" (or "bodyline" as the press labelled it).

The thing was, "leg theory" wasn't something new, IIRC it had been around for some years already, but it was the first time it had really come to international prominence.

Roy MM
16-08-2005, 03:34
It is not sufficient for the Australians not to reach the target as a game of cricket requires two innings for each side (ignoring, for the moment, the "follow on" rule).

This means that, to win, England would have to dismiss all the Australian batsmen and, for the Australians to win, they would have to achieve the total England have set for them.

If neither of these happen then the game is a draw as happened today.

The "follow on" can be enforced when the team that bats second has not managed to get a score at least 200 runs below the team that went first (in a five day game), in which case they can be made to bat again.

As to today's game...!!!

Damn, that was seriously stressful, but it, regrettably proves that whilst England are a lot better than they have been in recent years, they're *still* not quite good enough.

Australia once again demonstrated that they have the ability to bat practically right down the order wheras England have demonstrated that they can't quite keep it together when it gets to the crunch, with dropped catches and wayward bowling :(

What he said^^^^^ explained so eloquently. :tu: :D

Flubflow
16-08-2005, 14:28
The thing was, "leg theory" wasn't something new, IIRC it had been around for some years already, but it was the first time it had really come to international prominence.

Yeah it was those Australian pussies who moaned loudly about it. I mean, really, what's a few cracked skulls between colonial friends. ;).

Aragorn
25-08-2005, 10:17
England have one the toss and are going to bat, with McGrath out and newboy Tait in the side :) Let's hope Tres & Strauss can profit from facing Tait and Kasprowiz.

iadom
25-08-2005, 12:12
Good start, Strauss a little unlucky but over 100 for 1st wicket is nice.:D

iadom
26-08-2005, 15:42
England 477 ao. Quick tea then knock over three or four before the close, that will do nicely.:)

Roy MM
26-08-2005, 16:50
Way hey 21 for 2. :D :D

[Edit} make that 22 for 3

Roy MM
26-08-2005, 18:28
99 for 5 :D goodnight Aussies.

Gogogo
26-08-2005, 18:46
Fantastic, England team without doubt are the quality team. A very enjoyable day's play. Looks as if the Aussies are in pieces.

;)

andymt
26-08-2005, 20:38
guys just retuened an hour ago from trent beidge having watched it..
Im pleased with g.jones/flintoff...especially flintoff as he should now is no longer known as a slogger but a batsman.

ian@huth
27-08-2005, 12:31
Aussies following on and 14-0 at the moment as they go off for lunch, 245 behind. Good work England

andymt
27-08-2005, 12:41
Just get hayden out 1st thing after lunch and we're rollin.

I take my hat off to brett lee though.
We r doing well, especially with Harmison out of form.

Roy MM
27-08-2005, 12:46
Don't forget your News of the world tomorrow, great test matches of the past DVD.

Shabba
27-08-2005, 14:49
BUGGER! Sat here with a freeview connection on my PC but the live coverage is available on filmfour :(

TigaSefi
27-08-2005, 14:56
There is coverage on Ch4 but it interrupted by racing from time to time.

Shabba
27-08-2005, 15:21
I know. Scarlet invader 25-1 and i couldn't give a monkeys :(

PMSOL! NTL broadband handicap. How i wish beaver patrol would have won followed closely by marijuana ;)

yesman
28-08-2005, 08:40
What a shame (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/28082005/325/australia-s-cricketers-savaged-local-media.html) :D

Gogogo
28-08-2005, 09:05
BUGGER! Sat here with a freeview connection on my PC but the live coverage is available on filmfour :(

At least with Sky sports they won't suddenly shift the game to Film 4, frankly Channel 4 deserve a kick for treating viewers in this way.

Don't forget your News of the world tomorrow, great test matches of the past DVD.

I'll give it a mis, as N.O.W. is near porno waste paper anyway, not worth it, DVD or no DVD!

:shocked:

Paul
28-08-2005, 18:14
11 to win atm acording to the BBC site.

Roy MM
28-08-2005, 18:17
10 now, going to the wire. :Yikes:

homealone
28-08-2005, 18:17
11 to win atm acording to the BBC site.

10 to win, 7 wickets down & Warne & Lee bowling out of their skins - it is a bit tense ;)

Hom3r
28-08-2005, 18:22
Cricket I'd rather watch paint dry under water without SCUBA gear:disturbd:

Paul
28-08-2005, 18:29
2 to win .......

and it's a winner :)

:cleader: :cleader:

homealone
28-08-2005, 18:31
yay - 2:1 up in the series - we are still in with a chance of the Ashes, well done to Australia for making such a fight of it :tu:

Gogogo
28-08-2005, 18:35
Absolutely terrific win, Hoggie & Giles saved our day.

Clearly the last & 5th test at the Oval is going to be thrilling.

;)

marky
28-08-2005, 18:38
just a question what are the ashes

i dont mean the comp but the actual ashes please :confused:

Chris W
28-08-2005, 18:40
just a question what are the ashes

i dont mean the comp but the actual ashes please :confused:

wikipedia is the source of all things good... :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashes

Hom3r
28-08-2005, 18:40
the ashes are the cricket stumps from some England Aussie game years ago

marky
28-08-2005, 18:42
wikipedia is the source of all things good... :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashes

urn said to contain the burnt bails (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bail_%28cricket%29) from a game played in 1882 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1882) at The Oval (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oval).

thank you :D

Roy MM
28-08-2005, 18:42
The remains of the wickets from the 1st test match between Aus and England, they were burnt after the match i believe.

number_1
28-08-2005, 19:35
good game good game! cut it a bit too close for my liking though! found a nice little link.
http://www.viralbank.com/popeye.wmv (http://www.viralbank.com/popeye.wmv)

a fair comparison?

iadom
28-08-2005, 20:27
:monkey: the ashes are the cricket stumps from some England Aussie game years ago
Not strictly true. it is rumoured that burnt bails are in the urn but it has never been confirmed.
http://www.abcofcricket.com/A_Legend_Is_Born/The_Birth/the_birth.htm

After that mock obituary appeared in the Times some ladies allegedly burnt bails and placed them in a small urn which was presented to the England captain, I think his name was the Hon.Hugo Bligh a relation of the infamous Captain Bligh of the Bounty.

Roy MM
28-08-2005, 20:29
Roll on the 8th September.

iadom
28-08-2005, 23:08
:monkey:

a small urn which was presented to the England captain, I think his name was the Hon.Hugo Bligh a relation of the infamous Captain Bligh of the Bounty.

correction, it was the Honourable Ivor Bligh, captain of England

homealone
28-08-2005, 23:52
Roll on the 8th September.

oh i hope the weather doesn't prevent a decent game

the Oval will suit Brett Lee, Shane Warne - and McGrath if he can return - game on ;)

fisheddie
29-08-2005, 01:16
good game good game! cut it a bit too close for my liking though! found a nice little link.
http://www.viralbank.com/popeye.wmv (http://www.viralbank.com/popeye.wmv)

a fair comparison?

? ? ? i dont get it... anybody care to explain?

iadom
29-08-2005, 09:40
Freddie is well known for drinking Red Bull, he says it gives him added strength.

and Popeye , well anyone of a certain age will know what his spinach does for him.:)

Gogogo
29-08-2005, 09:53
Ashley Giles contributed a good column in The Guardian today illustrating the tension in the team as Shane Warne was getting wickets. Gilo's description of his innings with Hoggie is marvellous: :Yikes:

Then came the chip to midwicket (http://sport.guardian.co.uk/ashes2005/story/0,15993,1558596,00.html)

Roy MM
29-08-2005, 11:02
Ashley Giles contributed a good column in The Guardian today illustrating the tension in the team as Shane Warne was getting wickets. Gilo's description of his innings with Hoggie is marvellous: :Yikes:

Then came the chip to midwicket (http://sport.guardian.co.uk/ashes2005/story/0,15993,1558596,00.html)

This bit says it all.

These games are so tough. We have all aged about 10 years in the past three weeks. You don't sleep well. Every minute of the day you are thinking about cricket. You wake up in the night and you are thinking about cricket. It's not healthy but that's the Ashes. I'm sure the Aussies are feeling just as tired.

to damn right fans aswell.

andymt
29-08-2005, 13:28
I really hope that simon jones is ready for the oval

as you noticed we struggled without him when bowling out the aussies 2nd time at trent bridge.

We gotta play well at the oval..plat pitch but a bit of swing for hoggard, but they have mcgrath back..eeekk!!!!

Gogogo
29-08-2005, 16:26
I really hope that simon jones is ready for the oval
as you noticed we struggled without him when bowling out the aussies 2nd time at trent bridge. We gotta play well at the oval..plat pitch but a bit of swing for hoggard, but they have mcgrath back..eeekk!!!!

Agreed, ;) a lot of attention gets focused on Freddie of course he is a marvellous cricketer, but then the rest of the team is equally deserving, all of the batsmen can get over a hundred, Strauss on a good day, Trescothick, Vaughan, Pieterson a least five could achieve centuries plus. The bowlers have good and bad days but they each have in the past performed well: Giles, Simon Jones, Hoggard, Freddie, Harmison they can get wickets. The Australians have been lucky so far as the last Test might see them really getting thrashed. ;)

The Aussies are short of quality bowlers, Shane Warne is the best, our guys must hang in there, not be sloggers, be careful and wear the bowlers down with a long innings.

gazzae
29-08-2005, 16:56
It will be an interesting 5th test. I do think some papers are being a bit hasty. Beware of the wounded animal as they say.

andymt
29-08-2005, 19:52
very true and jones does have 9 days to recover...

i also hope they dont change the team....dont change a winning team i say..
they have developed team spirit..even though our wikie may miss a few chances, he is worth it for the runs he scores. the other wikie we have, chris read might be better behind the stumps but in front of them he isnt much cop.

Ian bell is unlucky he is a good batsman, he is just inexperienced, so ge often goes for shots before he is "in" or focused.

homealone
29-08-2005, 20:18
very true and jones does have 9 days to recover...

i also hope they dont change the team....dont change a winning team i say..
they have developed team spirit..even though our wikie may miss a few chances, he is worth it for the runs he scores. the other wikie we have, chris read might be better behind the stumps but in front of them he isnt much cop.

Ian bell is unlucky he is a good batsman, he is just inexperienced, so ge often goes for shots before he is "in" or focused.

I agree with going for the team spirit & hope Jones will be fit - another thing about Ian Bell is that he is is one of the best close fielders I have seen for ages :)

Graham
30-08-2005, 00:59
Just to add my comments:

Firstly *blimey* was that an absolutely nail biter or what...?! :Yikes:

Secondly, however, even if (and hopefully we will!) we win the Ashes, I think what this series has demonstrated is that the England team *still* don't hold up well under pressure.

Consider:

1) Australia need to bat out the day and not lose all their wickets - They do so with dogged determination despite some very hostile treatment.

2) England need just over a hundred runs to win, they've got 10 wickets in hand, plenty of time and what happens? They fall to pieces and, frankly, barely scrape home.

The Aussies simply *DO NOT QUIT*, they will fight tooth and nail for every run, every wicket and take every chance open to them, but the English go to pieces.

IMO (and speaking *as* an Englishman!) for sheer determination, the Australians deserve to keep the Ashes.